Marantz SR7007 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1042 Old 01-03-2014, 02:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. I tried that to no avail. Have contacted dealer so, hopefully, I can get it sorted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1042 Old 01-03-2014, 06:20 AM

Hi all

quick question / confirmation...

having been through the Audyssey guide and run my calibration, although the sound is great the levels seem low. They are all in proprtion, they just seem lower than they could be. For example, the highest level is +5db or so.

This means that I need to crank the volume up quite extensively when watching a movie whiich is slightly irritating. I've increased the input level which helps slightly.

But is there any reason for this? Why doesn't Audyssey set the channel with the highest level as high as possible to get the preamp to do more work, then work backwards from there?

Can I just increase all the levels by, say, +5db to get around the problem or will this cause other issues?

thanks for your help,

pnc02

post #723 of 1042 Old 01-03-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 432
pnc02,

What setting on the volume control knob are you actually using?

After calibration, movie reference sound level (105dB peaks) should be what you hear when the master volume control is set at 80 (absolute volume scale) or 0 (relative volume scale). That's assuming, of course, that your speakers are efficient enough to reach that level with the amps that you have. Most people tend to listen at levels around 60 (-20) or so.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #724 of 1042 Old 01-03-2014, 06:48 AM

Hi Selden

Thanks for the quick response. 60 sounds about right, just over half way on the volume is required to achieve a relatively most listening level.

It seems like the power amps are doing a lot of work for a fairly modest output, whilst the preamps are not working hard enough?!?

If I tweak the levels manually by adding, say 5db to each, will this rebalance the load back to the preamps and enable me to crank the volume up slightly less than currently? Or are there other implcations with channel balance / Audessey that I should be wary of?

It's not a massive problem - it just doesn't seem 'right' to me....

cheers,

pnc02

post #725 of 1042 Old 01-03-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

pnc02,

I hae the impression that you might still be confused about how modern volume controls work. When you run the calibration procedure, that process sets the individual channel trim levels so that the receiver outputs the correct sound level as required to meet movie reference standards at your preferred listening position (the first microphone position).

Modern volume controls are not like the old style linear volume controls which showed how much of the receiver's total power you were asking for. Modern volume controls are logarithmic and display the requested volume level as measured in dB. They do not provide any indication whatsoever as to how much of the receiver's power is being used. Instead, you set them to the fraction of movie reference level that you want, as measured in dB, with 80 being reference.

In the average home listening environment, the volume control on a modern, calibrated, receiver should be at about 60-65 when watching a movie. Movie reference level normally is much too loud. When listening to a CD, the setting typically be at about 50-55 because CDs usually are mixed at a higher level and need to be turned down. Settings much above 65 (or 55) are only comfortable if you've spent the time end effort to apply appropriate absorbant room treatments to the room.

Footnote:
Unfortunately, most home audio systems include low efficiency "audiophile" speakers which are simply incapable of reaching movie reference sound levels. Actually trying to drive them that loud actually can damage many of them.

Selden

post #726 of 1042 Old 01-03-2014, 07:16 AM

Thanks Selden, that makes sense - and confirms my calibration is correct.

I guess it just means I'm never really going to be playing a CD at party volumes with a room full of people, given that even with the volume seemingly maxed out, and the 'on paper' specification of the amp, the actual sound level achieved is "relatively" modest!?!

Maybe this is not something the SR7007 was designed for and it is, as you say, limited during it's calibration to movie reference levels (or slightly above)...

cheers,

pnc02

post #727 of 1042 Old 01-03-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

If your room is particularly large, you might want to consider replacing your speakers with more efficient ones. When the room is full of absorbent people, you will need the higher sound levels that efficient speakers provide. A list of high SPL speakers is available in the thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1387083/list-of-reference-level-high-sensitivity-spl-speakers

Selden

post #728 of 1042 Old 01-03-2014, 08:24 AM

Thanks Selden

not really an option I'm afraid - all my speakers are in-wall, custom-fitted, so they'll need to stay put for a while....

just back to the main question for a second - would manually adding +5db to the level of each channel be an option? what are the implications?

thanks for your help,

pnc02

post #729 of 1042 Old 01-04-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Raising all of the line levels by the same amount is no different than raising the master volume control by that amount. In both cases, the amps are required to output substantially more power. (3dB = 2x power)

If you haven't already, you might try turning on Dynamic EQ. It amplifies the bass frequencies, and to a lesser extent the treble, when listening at sound levels below reference. This compensates for the non-linearity of our hearing, which is less sensitive to bass at lower sound levels.

Selden

post #730 of 1042 Old 01-11-2014, 06:19 AM

Hi, new here. Looking for some advice. I just purchased a 7007, (have not received it yet, $1599 Crutchfield) already have Emotiva LPA-1 7 channel amp. Hooking up Klipsch RF7's (also just purchased) as main, will run rear surrounds, center, and a sub. Music quality is my primary concern. Should I use the Emotiva amp or not? Would it make any sense to bi-amp the Klipsch's?

I have allot to learn, any help is greatly appreciated!!
post #731 of 1042 Old 01-11-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphelps View Post

Hi, new here. Looking for some advice. I just purchased a 7007, (have not received it yet, $1599 Crutchfield) already have Emotiva LPA-1 7 channel amp. Hooking up Klipsch RF7's (also just purchased) as main, will run rear surrounds, center, and a sub. Music quality is my primary concern. Should I use the Emotiva amp or not? Would it make any sense to bi-amp the Klipsch's?

The Emotiva amp probably is not needed when using Klipsch speakers because they're highly efficient. If I'm reading its specs properly, the amp's per-channel wattage is not noticeably higher than what is provided by the receiver and actually is lower in some channels. If you have inefficient or difficult-to-drive surround speakers, it could be used to offload their demands from the receiver.

Passive bi-amping will do nothing technically useful: it won't improve the quality of the sound, nor will it provide any significant increase in the maximum sound level.

Selden

post #732 of 1042 Old 01-11-2014, 08:26 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Liked: 1606
Quote:

First ........ouch! Second, as Selden indicates ... external amp not likely required unless listening at higher than reference volume levels and the speakers are clipping.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #733 of 1042 Old 01-11-2014, 10:31 AM

Thank you Selden. Ill probably sell the Emotiva after everything is all set up. JD, how much should I have paid? That's the best new in box I could find from an authorized dealer. I guess I'm not looking in the right places! At least it had free shipping and no sales tax...

Thanks guys for the advice.
post #734 of 1042 Old 01-11-2014, 06:51 PM

Liked: 11
Need some help with my sound input settings on my SR7007. I currently am only using L/R and center channel speakers. Depending on which input source I choose, blu ray vs. cable, different sound settings are available (or excluded) as choices. Is this right? I have a PS3 hooked up under the Blu ray input and I cannot get all of the movie sound selections from it (ie. Dolby PLII), I can only get Stereo, multi channel in, and pure direct. BUT in the Cabl/sat input I can see the full sound settings available (including others I dont prefer, PL6 neo). Basically I want to watch movie content and blu rays through my PS3 with Dolby PLii. For some reason this was never a problem in the past. I always could select the Dolby PLii setting regardless of input. Not sure if a firmware update or PS3 update changed something. Under the PS3, I made sure the sound settings were set to off so it wouldnt override the AVR settings. What am I missing?
post #735 of 1042 Old 01-11-2014, 06:59 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Check the PS3 settings as it appears it is currently set to LPCM instead of "bitstream".
Quote:

Thank you Selden. Ill probably sell the Emotiva after everything is all set up. JD, how much should I have paid? That's the best new in box I could find from an authorized dealer. I guess I'm not looking in the right places! At least it had free shipping and no sales tax...

Thanks guys for the advice.

As I note in my sig, AV Science is an authorized Marantz dealer. smile.gif

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #736 of 1042 Old 01-11-2014, 07:04 PM

The RF7ii's and RC64ii center hooked up to my SR7007 sound amazing with loads of output and headroom in my 18x24x8 ft living room. Amp would be overkill.

$1599 is pretty high. Ive seen them going to closer to $1200. I'll be expanding my system to 5.2 very soon and plan to upgrade. My eyes are on the SR7008 cause I want XT32 and Sub EQ to help eq 2 subs independently. So I'll be selling the SR7007 pretty soon and can beat Crutchfield's price with shipping. Its just less than 1 year old and purchased an authorized marantz dealer from acoustic sound designs. PM me if your interested.
post #737 of 1042 Old 01-11-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Check the PS3 settings as it appears it is currently set to LPCM instead of "bitstream".

Thanks JD, that fixed it. Definitely an update switched that cause I never messed with that.
post #738 of 1042 Old 01-11-2014, 07:38 PM
585-645-1006

It can happen. Enjoy. smile.gif You'd be surprised how many times over the years I've suggested a specific setting only to be told by the ower ... "that can't be it as I never changed the setting" ... then I rarely see another post from them ..... gee ... wonder why? wink.gif

post #739 of 1042 Old 01-15-2014, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
For some reason my network has suddenly stopped working, I have full signal from my wireless router nut nothing working on the receiver. I have tried to reset the settings on the network but its still not working.

Anyone have this problem or can anyone help me with this one please?
post #740 of 1042 Old 01-15-2014, 05:58 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Try powering off and resetting the network router. You may also want to power off and unplug the AVR as well for 10 minutes.

post #741 of 1042 Old 01-17-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:

It can happen. Enjoy. smile.gif You'd be surprised how many times over the years I've suggested a specific setting only to be told by the ower ... "that can't be it as I never changed the setting" ... then I rarely see another post from them ..... gee ... wonder why? wink.gif

Now its doing it again. Cabl/Sat I can select dolby PLII, under Blu Ray (PS3) only multi-channel in. I go into PS3 and double check the audio settings are set to bitstream. They are. So its not reverting back as was my last problem. Not sure why its not working now. What is overriding this every time? hmmm
post #742 of 1042 Old 01-17-2014, 11:10 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Keep in mind that when the AVR reads "DD PLII" it means that it is receiving a stereo signal (and so therefore must simulate the center channel and sub channel) which would be common with a SAT/CBL box with SD TV channels and the non DD 5.1 HD TV channels. When you are playing a BD/DVD using the PS3 it will generally always be DD/DTS 5.1 audio which is providing discrete audio to all 5 channels and the subwoofer so there are no channels that need to be simulated.

post #743 of 1042 Old 01-18-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:

^^
Keep in mind that when the AVR reads "DD PLII" it means that it is receiving a stereo signal (and so therefore must simulate the center channel and sub channel) which would be common with a SAT/CBL box with SD TV channels and the non DD 5.1 HD TV channels. When you are playing a BD/DVD using the PS3 it will generally always be DD/DTS 5.1 audio which is providing discrete audio to all 5 channels and the subwoofer so there are no channels that need to be simulated.

Thanks, got that part. I'm just trying to make the best at my present L/C/R set up. I'm judging this based off how the two different modes sound and PLii sounds much better for me. Its a sudden change that defaults back to multi-channel cause in the near past and since originally setting up everything I've frequently used the PS3 for blu ray/movie streaming with audio set to PLii. Until I have the time to focus my $ to subs and surrounds I just want to have current audio sound the best like it did before. There must be something Im missing that is not due to LPCM vs. bistream setting. I double checked that and everything is set to bistream. Under audio settings for PS3, the option to go DD/DTS 5.1, PLii all are selected to be ready and available. Is this new default switch inherenet from my AVR or my PS3? Its an annoying simplistic issue, I just cant figure it out. First time around the switch to bistream worked. The next day problem came back, but bistream setting is still selected. Any other thoughts that Im missing?

Thanks everyone in advance.
post #744 of 1042 Old 01-18-2014, 09:02 AM
585-645-1006

What is the source media you are using with the PS3? Most PS3 games only have multi channel PCM audio tracks as do some DVDs. If you are unable to select DD/DTS 5.1 on the source media then it is likely a multi channel PCM audio track and this can only pass as PCM which will display as "Multi CH IN" regardless of whether the PS3 is set to "bitstream" or not.

post #745 of 1042 Old 01-18-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:

What is the source media you are using with the PS3? Most PS3 games only have multi channel PCM audio tracks as do some DVDs. If you are unable to select DD/DTS 5.1 on the source media then it is likely a multi channel PCM audio track and this can only pass as PCM which will display as "Multi CH IN" regardless of whether the PS3 is set to "bitstream" or not.

Blu ray, streaming netflix, amazon instant video, or vudu. I spent a couple hours go through everything. I said screw it and reset my PS3 to default settings erasing everything except the backup files for gaming. After resetting up internet passwords and such I went through the process again. This time the default was LPCM, so I switched that to bitstream. Went to vudu and tried it out. Works now. Im glad its fixed for now, but I dont know what setting that was throwing it off.

Thanks for helping me think through it, unfortunately if anyone else comes across this I would just reset/reboot the PS3.

JD, you'll be hearing from me soon about a new blu ray player quote, Im through with this PS3 for watching movies. So damn loud, hot to touch and annoying.
post #746 of 1042 Old 01-19-2014, 03:36 AM
585-645-1006

The Oppo 103 and newer 103D (with Darbee Vision technology) are the benchmark BDPs worthy of consideration.

post #747 of 1042 Old 01-26-2014, 10:02 AM

Thanks, I have some time to consider returning it, but not sure its worth the hassle at this point. I've spent too many hours spent setting it up, and aside from some difficulties understanding / setting the listening modes, I am very pleased with the unit so far. Live and learn. "never pay full price"!
BTW, the RF7 II's sound great on this amp. RC 64 II will be delivered tomorrow. Props to Acoustic Sound Design on price and service.
post #748 of 1042 Old 01-26-2014, 11:00 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Maybe it is ........ especially if you want to upgrade to the better version of Audyssey MultEQ XT32 on the newer SR7008.

post #749 of 1042 Old 01-28-2014, 04:55 AM

hey JD, what will the better version of Audyssey do for me?
I am a little frustrated; having difficulties getting some programming, I assume non-dolby programs, (some Netflix programs) to output dialog to the center channel. The sound modes available do not include dolby and none that are available sound good. Never had this problem with my older receiver. Similarly, even some content on Direct TV, like news channels, which seem to be broadcast in Dolby, send (in my listening opinion) too much dialog to the L/R channels. Much time spent messing with settings and going through the manuals. Any ideas? Will the new Audyssey will make my life any easier?

Thank You
post #750 of 1042 Old 01-28-2014, 05:08 AM
585-645-1006

^^
The issues you are having likely have nothing to do with the AVR (or Audyssey for that matter), rather it is the programming you are receiving from your DirecTV provider. In some instances, the provider will broadcast a DD 2.0 signal over a DD 5.1 audio track, so the AVR thinks it is receiving a 5.1 signal but is actually only receiving a 2.0 signal so you will only hear audio from the FL/FR speakers and will not be able to use a simulation mode to get audio to the center channel. Also, if Dolby or DTS is not an option in the menu (when the audio is playing), that means the AVR is truly only receiving a 2.0 signal and you then have the option to use a simulation mode (eg. DD PLII) to simulate 5.1 audio to include center channel audio.

That said, the newer version of XT32 will provide for a noticeable improvement in audio quality over XT (ie. 32x higher speaker filter resolution) as noted by many posters in the various XT32 model threads (SR7008, AV8801, X4000, 4311CI, 4520CI) of owners who have upgraded from an older XT model.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr7007 Home Theater Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr7007 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page