Marantz SR7007 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 952 Old 06-08-2014, 06:46 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
If neither HDMI source works after multiple resets of the SR7007, one final step to try before exchanging the SR7007 for another unit would be to unplug every HDMI cable, power off and unplug all devices for at least 10 minutes, then plug back in powering on first the TV then AVR, then BDP. How old is the TV?

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 952 Old 06-08-2014, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi JD,

Will try your suggestion.. TV is 2012 model

1. If I connect a HDMI out(SR7007) to TV without any input source...should I see the Menu of SR7007 on TV? I would like to see if SR7007 can output onscreen Menu's to the TV without any other cable plugged in.

2. Where should I connect the HDMI out? ARC / Monitor 1 / or Monitor 2?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

If neither HDMI source works after multiple resets of the SR7007, one final step to try before exchanging the SR7007 for another unit would be to unplug every HDMI cable, power off and unplug all devices for at least 10 minutes, then plug back in powering on first the TV then AVR, then BDP. How old is the TV?
post #903 of 952 Old 06-08-2014, 03:01 PM
585-645-1006

^^
1. Menu, yes
2. Monitor 1

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #904 of 952 Old 06-12-2014, 05:52 PM

Thanks JD. Second time reset and disconnecting all cables seemed to have resolved the issue. I can get the menu and picture now..

Now on to setting it up...Are there like good base settings I could use something similar to sharing TV's calibrated settings etc..Please help me set it up with the following plus overall setup..

- One thing I noticed right away is that the sound does not pop out like it used to on my Onkyo. While playing a movie with Dolby 5.1 Audio..it sounds like someone is singing in a empty Banquet hall..wonder if there is a setting I need to change?

- What is i/p scaler?

- How can I connect my cable box to the receiver via HDMI and have it passthru the signal in standby mode?

- Do I need to change anything in the video settings of SR7007?

- I haven't update the firmware yet but it shows as 1490-1179-0000-9240-1977. How far behind is it?

- How are people using Internet radio, connecting via Ethernet?

Also please advise on the following settings..what should they be set at?

- Video Mode is - Auto

- Video Conversion - ON

- i/p Scaler - off

- Home Theater EQ - Off

- Dynamic Compression - Off

- Low Frequency Effects - 0db

- Audio - MultEQ XT - Audyssey

- Dynamic EQ - ON

- Reference Level Offset 0db

- Dynamic Volume - Medium

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
1. Menu, yes
2. Monitor 1

Last edited by parry; 06-13-2014 at 06:09 AM.
post #905 of 952 Old 06-13-2014, 09:53 AM

^^ A response to my questions would be appreciated..hope its not too many
post #906 of 952 Old 06-13-2014, 05:27 PM
585-645-1006

^^
1. I would check in one of the TV forums on AVSForum for your particular model TV for base settings.

2. The i/p Scaler setting is used to upscale video from a lower resolution to a higher resolution. Most likely leave this setting to OFF as the TV can do the job just as well.

3. HDMI Standby mode is set by setting HDMI Control setting to ON (p. 121 Owner's manual) and the Standby Source to the source name you want to pass through (eg. SAT/CBL).

4. Video settings is a personal choice. Most likely don't use them.

5. If you connect the AVR to your home's modem/router, it will tell you if you have the most up to date firmware or not.

6. To use any of the network sources, you must connect the AVR to the home's WiFi router/modem either wired directly, or using wireless router set to bridge mode, or using ethernet PowerLine adapters.

7. Your remaining settings are fine, although again, depends on personal preference.

post #907 of 952 Old 06-14-2014, 10:14 AM

^^
Thanks for that JD.

1-> While playing Blu ray movie, When I press info, it shows "Audio - Auto" on the TV screen

How do I check if its playing Dolby 5.1 or DTS or DTS-HD etc?

2-> I have cable/sat box HDMI out going to TV and Optical going to AVR. How can I set it up so the audio comes out of Optical cable to AVR when its on CAB/SAT mode?

3-> Similarly, I have Optical out from TV to AVR, I would like to set that up as well..
post #908 of 952 Old 06-14-2014, 09:51 PM
585-645-1006

^^
1. The BDP must be set to "bitstream" with Secondary Audio set to OFF.
2. Normally the cable/sat boxes output audio over HDMI and optical simultaneously, so connect it to the OPT2 input on the SR7007 and assign that input to the CBL/SAT source so when you select that source on the remote, you will hear the CBL/SAT audio.
3. Connect the TV optical to the OPT1 input on the SR7007 and select the TV Audio source on the remote. If you don't hear audio then, more than likely the TV must be set to "external speakers" or "home theater."

post #909 of 952 Old 06-15-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I was looking at getting the SR5008 recently, but the shop also has a new-in-the-box SR7007 for cheap, and I'm wondering which would be better for me. My only source is an HTPC and bluray player. Music is primary. What does the newer generation offer? The only concerns I could imagine are differences in the RS232 control (features and ergonomics), the app, and possibly bass management and EQ. What do you guys think?
post #910 of 952 Old 06-15-2014, 08:59 AM

^^
Thanks JD.

1. BDP was already set to bitstream and secondary audio was already off. I noticed when I press "Movie" Sound mode button on the AVR remote, it changes to "Dolby Digital" from "Auto"..

I will try the rest and report back..

Quote:
^^
1. The BDP must be set to "bitstream" with Secondary Audio set to OFF.
2. Normally the cable/sat boxes output audio over HDMI and optical simultaneously, so connect it to the OPT2 input on the SR7007 and assign that input to the CBL/SAT source so when you select that source on the remote, you will hear the CBL/SAT audio.
3. Connect the TV optical to the OPT1 input on the SR7007 and select the TV Audio source on the remote. If you don't hear audio then, more than likely the TV must be set to "external speakers" or "home theater."
post #911 of 952 Old 06-15-2014, 10:19 AM

Hi JD, All the above suggestions worked perfectly..

on my old Onkyo AVR, I was able to toggle between various Audio modes by pressing a button on AVR remote.

How can I "toggle" between different "Audio" modes using AVR remote? If the Blu ray has Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1, I would like to toggle using AVR remote plus if I want to try other modes like Neo etc etc..

This would help muchly..
post #912 of 952 Old 06-15-2014, 11:30 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
I was looking at getting the SR5008 recently, but the shop also has a new-in-the-box SR7007 for cheap, and I'm wondering which would be better for me. My only source is an HTPC and bluray player. Music is primary. What does the newer generation offer? The only concerns I could imagine are differences in the RS232 control (features and ergonomics), the app, and possibly bass management and EQ. What do you guys think?
Both feature the same version of Audyssey MultEQ XT; however, the SR7007 offers more inputs/outputs.

post #913 of 952 Old 06-15-2014, 11:33 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by parry View Post
Hi JD, All the above suggestions worked perfectly..

on my old Onkyo AVR, I was able to toggle between various Audio modes by pressing a button on AVR remote.

How can I "toggle" between different "Audio" modes using AVR remote? If the Blu ray has Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1, I would like to toggle using AVR remote plus if I want to try other modes like Neo etc etc..

This would help muchly..
You can select the various available surround modes by pressing/holding the MOVIE or MUSIC buttons on the AVR remote; however, if the BD offers different surround tracks, you would have to first select the surround track on the BD using the BDP remote as the AVR can only play what it receives.

post #914 of 952 Old 06-18-2014, 06:20 PM

^^

Hi JD, One more Question to bug you...

I've been trying to figure out how this works. For some reason the AVR remembers the last Sound mode(likely selected by pressing Movie button and selecting a different mode) and the next time I play a different DVD or Blu Ray, it plays it in the same Audio mode as last selected.

I select Dolby Digital 5.1 from the Menu of the BDP - DVD/Blu Ray. The AVR info button shows Dolby D+ PLII +Neo or something like that.

How can I set this to "Auto" detect the Audio and play it accordingly? I don't want to change the original Audio that is sent from BDP or CBL/SAT etc..

Secondly, Does Airplay need the AVR to be connected to the Ethernet network to work?

Quote:
You can select the various available surround modes by pressing/holding the MOVIE or MUSIC buttons on the AVR remote; however, if the BD offers different surround tracks, you would have to first select the surround track on the BD using the BDP remote as the AVR can only play what it receives.
post #915 of 952 Old 06-20-2014, 07:07 AM

^^
A response to the above post would be appreciated..

Also I notice that some Audio has a slight delay while playing some Blu rays via pure HDMI..How can I address that?
post #916 of 952 Old 06-20-2014, 09:04 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Whoa ... let's slow down there. Please keep in mind we're all volunteers here and may not have the time to be responding on a moment's notice. If you want some more timely assistance, I'd be more than happy to have you send funds to my PayPal account.

That said ..........,

1. If the unit is receiving a 5.1 signal and is displaying DD + PLIIx or Neo it means you have a 7.1 setup and it's simply simulating the audio for the SBL/SBR speakers as the source is not sending that signal. If you prefer your SBL/SBR speakers to be silent, you should be able to select just Dolby Digital from the menu.

2. Yes, the unit must be connected to your home's wifi router/modem (either wired or wirelessly using another router set to bridge mode or using PowerLine adapters to use your home's electrical wiring) in order to use any of the networking features to include Airplay.

3. For audio related issues, you may want to try setting the Video Mode setting to GAME.

post #917 of 952 Old 06-20-2014, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just upgraded to this Marantz 7007 and loving every minute of it.
post #918 of 952 Old 06-20-2014, 11:14 AM

Thanks JD. I was hoping this AVR would be popular with the owners and other members would provide their feedback. But it appears you are the only soldier here to respond to the community.. My intentions were not at all as they were perceived. Would be glad to contribute to your efforts as everyone else is busy enjoying their SR7007

cheers..

Quote:
^^
Whoa ... let's slow down there. Please keep in mind we're all volunteers here and may not have the time to be responding on a moment's notice. If you want some more timely assistance, I'd be more than happy to have you send funds to my PayPal account.

That said ..........,

1. If the unit is receiving a 5.1 signal and is displaying DD + PLIIx or Neo it means you have a 7.1 setup and it's simply simulating the audio for the SBL/SBR speakers as the source is not sending that signal. If you prefer your SBL/SBR speakers to be silent, you should be able to select just Dolby Digital from the menu.

2. Yes, the unit must be connected to your home's wifi router/modem (either wired or wirelessly using another router set to bridge mode or using PowerLine adapters to use your home's electrical wiring) in order to use any of the networking features to include Airplay.

3. For audio related issues, you may want to try setting the Video Mode setting to GAME.
post #919 of 952 Old 06-20-2014, 01:56 PM
585-645-1006

^^
This model is now 2 years old so I wouldn't expect too much movement in the thread from owners.

post #920 of 952 Old 06-21-2014, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Looking at getting the SR7007, but had a few questions.

will SR7007 work with 4ohm speakers (dynaudio focus 160) to be used as home theater, and not at high volumes- mostly tv and movies

also can a NAS drive , be connected(wav/flac files) to play music on the SR7007

Thanks
post #921 of 952 Old 06-25-2014, 08:21 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket75 View Post

will SR7007 work with 4ohm speakers (dynaudio focus 160) to be used as home theater, and not at high volumes- mostly tv and movies

also can a NAS drive , be connected(wav/flac files) to play music on the SR7007
Yes and yes.

Cheers,
Jeff
post #922 of 952 Old 06-25-2014, 08:55 AM

Hi all,

I'd like to find out if the 7007 has a way to bypass the existing distance/level settings in the amp when it's provided with a 7.1 channel analog input. I know that all the DSP, including Audyssey, is bypassed, but what about the distance and level settings?

I suspect that someone will want to know, “What'd ya wanna go and do that for?”, so I'll provide the answer just in case. I have an Oppo 103 that I use to play multichannel audio DVDs and Blu-rays, but many of them are 5.1 DTS or DTS-MA and the 7007 (like its Denon brothers) insists on outputting audio to all 7.1 speakers even if fed a 5.1 DTS or LPCM input. The only ways to defeat that are to either turn off the Back Surrounds, or to lie to the receiver and turn on Front Wide or Front Height speakers (that don't actually exist) and then direct the amp to divert the power amp section from the Back Surrounds to the phantom speakers. Unfortunately, when you do either of those things, Audyssey shuts down due to the configuration change.

I have measured distances and SPLs for the speakers in the room, which I can input to both the Oppo and the 7007. I'd like to compare the Oppo's processed analog output to the 7007's processed output. Right now, to the best of my knowledge, the 7.1 channel analog input to the amp is still being modified by the amp's distance and level settings before it gets to the speaker terminals. I want to bypass those for my listening tests.

I'd like to hear the music just as the surround mixer intended. Audyssey + the channel expansion may ultimately sound better than the original 5.1 channel mix without Audyssey, but I'd like to find that out for myself.

Any help or insight would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jeff
post #923 of 952 Old 06-26-2014, 03:41 PM

I think I've found the answer I was looking for. It comes in separate parts.

From Oppo:"When you are using the analog outputs and have the Downmix Mode set to 7.1 in Speaker Configuration, 5.1 DTS content will be converted to 7.1, which means that the audio for the SL/SR output is duplicated to the SBL/SBR outputs."

From further testing: When the Oppo's 5.1 Downmix is sent to the 7007, and the 7007 is set to 7.1CH IN, the AVR's display shows 7.1 channels active for output, as if the receiver has re-added the SBL/SBR channels. But upon actually listening to the SBL/SBR speakers, I found that there was no sound coming from them. The 7007's front display is misleading (from a certain point of view).

From further further testing: Leaving the Oppo 5.1 Downmix in place, I switched the Oppo's HDMI output to LPCM, switched the 7007 Input to HDMI, and set the Listening Mode of the 7007 to Auto. I got what I was looking for in the first place: 5.1 DTS and DTS-MA playback with Audyssey active. Hooray! For grins, I went back into the Oppo and reset the Downmix to 7.1, but I still got 5.1 channel playback from the 7007 as long as the Oppo HDMI was set to LPCM.

This-has-been-true-all-along: DTS 5.1 and DTS-MA 5.1 sent from the Oppo HDMI as Bitstream is decoded by the 7007 and expanded to 7.1 channel output. I don't know why it's done that way, but I don't like it and it's obviously been frustrating for me. I contacted Marantz and asked them to forward a feature request to the engineers that would allow end users to disable this "feature". I hold only the tiniest sliver of hope that one day a firmware update will come along that includes that ability.

I don't know if I flat-out missed the Oppo/LPCM solution before, or if I confused the HDMI LPCM indications with the 7.1 analog input indications, or if the HDMI handshake between my components is more stable, or if a 10-minute soft reset of the amp let things fall into place, or if Jupiter is aligned with Mars. Regardless, I can now listen to 5.1 DTS audio tailored specifically for my room by Audyssey MultEQ XT. Thank goodness!

Jeff
post #924 of 952 Old 06-30-2014, 08:00 AM

I keep finding new toys to plug into my new 7007. Latest is my whole-house audio system into zone 2's analog outputs. I've essentially re-purposed a 15-year old Denon AVR-3000 as a power amp for zone 2. (Thanks to jdsmoothie's tip in another thread!) As an aside, the house's audio system predates the Denon.

So now I can run the 7007's Network input out to my whole house, which makes my full iTunes library available. I'd been limited to a 200 CD "jukebox" before. The only issue is that I can't seem to do what the owner's manual says I can do; namely, turn off the power to the main zone while using zone 2. I've attached a screenshot of the manual, pg. 106.

Does anyone know of a way to run zone 2 while keeping the main zone turned off? I'm hoping it will reduce wear and tear on the main amp section while saving a few pennies on my electric bill.

Cheers,
Jeff

EDIT: I should mention that I *can* actually turn the power off to the main zone and leave zone 2 turned on, but playback stops. As soon as I start playback again, the main zone turns back on. I should check another input besides Network to see if that works. I'll report back just in case anyone besides me cares.
Attached Images
File Type: png Zone2OnMainZoneOff.png (101.8 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by JeffBDVS; 06-30-2014 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Clarification
post #925 of 952 Old 06-30-2014, 09:04 AM
585-645-1006

^^
The main zone must remain ON for Airplay, but is not required for other networking features (eg. Pandora, SeriusXM, Internet radio, Tuner). This requirement is no longer true for the SR7008 and newer models.

post #926 of 952 Old 06-30-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
^^
The main zone must remain ON for Airplay, but is not required for other networking features (eg. Pandora, SeriusXM, Internet radio, Tuner). This requirement is no longer true for the SR7008 and newer models.
Thank you for responding so quickly.

May I trouble you with another question that I probably can guess the answer to? In trying to work around this Airplay issue by doing something other than regretting not waiting for the SR7008 to come down in price closer to the SR7007, I found an input in the Marantz iPhone app called iPod Player that is available to the main zone but not to zone 2. Is there a way to give zone 2 access to that input, and if so, will it have any effect on what I'm trying to do?

Thanks,
Jeff
post #927 of 952 Old 06-30-2014, 09:25 AM
585-645-1006

Not familiar with it but not likely, no. A better option is to use an Apple TV (which then also adds capability to stream video to the main zone) and convert the optical output to analog using a DAC which can then play independently to Zone 2 with the main zone powered off.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optica...m/B004C4WPXA/2

post #928 of 952 Old 06-30-2014, 09:48 AM

^^^

Thanks for the suggestion. I assume that I'd be able to communicate with the Apple TV remotely like I do now, but since the Apple TV would handle the Airplay stuff the 7007 would see the combo of it and the DAC as just another component plugged into the system?

I'm going to consider that, as well as maybe going through my Oppo BDP-103 or another Network source in the Marantz. I found an inexpensive piece of software that can turn my iTunes library into a DNLA server...

Cheers,
Jeff
post #929 of 952 Old 06-30-2014, 11:01 AM
585-645-1006

As long the input from the source is converted to analog for Zone 2, you should be good to go.

post #930 of 952 Old 07-06-2014, 06:43 AM

Question

Looking for you expert opinion folks...

I am finding the Audio too thin and almost no Bass..checked out the Audio settings and this is what it looks like:

1. When Blu Ray is NOT Playing..

Setup-> Audio ->

- Dialogue Level is Greyed out/Disabled
- Subwoofer Level is Greyed out/Disabled

2. When Blu Ray is Playing

Setup-> Audio-> Dialogue Level is Enabled and shows the value of -2.5db - What should be the correct value or should it be at 0db?

Setup-> Audio-> Subwoofer Level is Enabled and shows the value of -12.5db- What should be the correct value or should it be at 0db?

Wondering if changing these values will override Audyssey settings or?

I was under the impression that Audyssey will automaticallly populate these values as needed..Should I re-run Audyssey Calibration setup?

3. Other Audio settings are set as following..Are they good or needs tweaking?

Setup-> Audio-> Surround Parameter->

- Home Theater EQ - OFF
- Dynamic Compression - OFF
- Low Frequency Effects- 0db

Setup-> Audio-> Tone

- Tone Control - OFF
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr7007 Home Theater Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page