Marantz SR7007 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 33 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #961 of 989 Old 08-11-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm trying to set the Dynamic Compression level, but only get that option with Dolby Digital streams. Is DC not available when playing DTS?

Last edited by augerpro; 08-11-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 989 Old 08-11-2014, 04:28 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 1418
^^
Correct as noted on pg. 113 in the Owner's manual.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #963 of 989 Old 08-11-2014, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Would it make sense to hook up a marantz sr7007 to an emotiva upa-700 power amp or will i need something more substantial to notice any difference in the sound quality?

Last edited by punprankster; 08-11-2014 at 10:34 PM.
post #964 of 989 Old 08-12-2014, 04:16 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Something more substantial (eg. XPA-2, XPA-3), although even then likely no difference in sound quality, rather simply more power for low ohm speakers.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #965 of 989 Old 08-15-2014, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i wish they would release a patch that addresses the sirius player, where it changes channels randomly. So annoying when im trying to listen to a channel
post #966 of 989 Old 08-17-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
Something more substantial (eg. XPA-2, XPA-3), although even then likely no difference in sound quality, rather simply more power for low ohm speakers.
Thanks jd. Diving into and getting immersed in the hi fi pool as opposed to just sipping your toes in is much more of a. Challenge and learning.
post #967 of 989 Old 08-18-2014, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbajwa13 View Post
Hi,

new owner of the SR7007 and I have a quick question and would greatly appreciate anyone that can help. I browsed through most of this thread looking for answers, but could not locate my specific question. In all likelihood the question is very stupid, but I am not very adept at this so would appreciate any help.

I was wondering how I can connect my phone (Nexus 4) to my receiver? I would like to play some music on my phone on my surround sound, and was wondering the best way to go about that. I heard of the term media server thrown around in here, is that something that could get this done? For some reason when I go to media server on the receiver it's not recognizing my phone. I was hoping to connect my phone to the receiver using bluetooth, but if I'm not mistaken you have to purchase the pretty pricey RX-101 to connect bluetooth devices?

Sorry for the long question/bunch of questions. Would really appreciate some help!

Thanks!
I have a Galaxy Note 3. Both my SR7007 and the phone are on the same network. And in the music player a stream to button appear in the music player, this way i can stream via wifi to the receiver. Works great. Not sure if the Nexus has it, but im sure you can download an app that can stream via DLNA.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
post #968 of 989 Old 08-18-2014, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue13x View Post
I have a Galaxy Note 3. Both my SR7007 and the phone are on the same network. And in the music player a stream to button appear in the music player, this way i can stream via wifi to the receiver. Works great. Not sure if the Nexus has it, but im sure you can download an app that can stream via DLNA.

I also can do this with my HTC One M8.
post #969 of 989 Old 08-19-2014, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by amairphoto View Post
I also can do this with my HTC One M8.
Great, so theres no need to buy the bluetooth accesory. DLNA works with many devices, im sure the nexus too.

post #970 of 989 Old 08-19-2014, 09:33 PM

I had a few questions about the receiver, if anyone could help me out that would be great!

1.) I ran Audussey setup and at an initial volume at 12 o'clock the dB level on the subwoofer was maxed out around -12. I got it down to about -3dB when it was set at around 7 or 8 o'clock (almost minimum). I increased this to around -1db because I prefer more bass. However, now when I listen to music or watch a movie, etc. I can't really feel any bass from the subwoofer, I could barely even tell the subwoofer was working. Any recommendations regarding this?

2.) I read that the front speakers should be set to 'small' to let the subwoofer work as intended. However, when I run Audussey, it automatically labels my front speakers as large. After calibration, I had to manually set up the speakers as small using manual setup. Is this okay (i.e. is it okay if during calibration the speakers were large and then setting them to small after the fact?).

3.) My receiver is currently connected to my Sharp aquous lc-80le650u through an HDMI cable. The HDMI cable runs from the TV (ARC compatible) to the TV output on my receiver. However, when I play apps on my TV (Netflix, YouTube) it doesn't use my external/surround sound speakers. I called sharp but they said the customer support agent said that any app that streams, which includes Netflix and YouTube, will not use external speakers. From what I know, this is not true but he seemed pretty adamant. I was wondering if anyone had similar issues or know a solution in regards to this. I think maybe it has to do with the fact that the HDMI cable running from the TV to the "TV output" is perhaps old and not ARC compatible? Or perhaps I need a separate cable from the TV to go in one of the inputs?

4.) Lastly, I have a DLNA-certified application on my phone, but the app rarely ever recognizes the marantz receiver (I would say about 20% of the time). My TV is almost always recognized by my phone, so I have no idea why it fails to pick up the marantz. Just for refernce purposes, the app I am using is BubbleUPnP.

I know its a lot of questions, but I would really appreciate any help! Thanks, and I really appreciate the community here
post #971 of 989 Old 08-20-2014, 12:07 AM
585-645-1006

^^
1. Sure. Ensure the FL/C/FR speakers are set to SMALL with no lower than an 80Hz crossover. Also, you can bump the Subwoofer Level setting up a few more db (eg. from -1db to +2db).
2. Yes. Audyssey does not set the speakers to LARGE, rather the AVR does, so resetting them to SMALL/80Hz is correct. If Audyssey had their way, all speakers would be set to SMALL during the Audyssey setup, however, AVR mfr's have refused to extend this control.
3. In order for HDMI(ARC) to work both the TV and the AVR must have this feature. Please review my post below for assistance. Although written for the Denon models, the same applies to your 7007.

The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

4. How is the AVR connected to the home's Wifi router? Wired directly is more reliable. If connected wirelessly, you may want to consider a different "bridge" router. Review my post below for more assistance.

The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ
rbajwa13 likes this.

post #972 of 989 Old 08-20-2014, 07:29 AM

Thanks for the help JD!

1.) I made sure all speakers were set to small and had a crossover frequency of 80 Hz, and even tried increasing the dB setting of the subwoofer even higher (tried 1 dB, 2 dB, etc.). Still to no avail. This may be because during calibration, I did not use a mic stand or tripod as requested, though I did not think that would make such a big difference in terms of the bass from the subwoofer (I could be wrong). I will try properly calibrating my sound system with a tripod/mic stand, and perhaps that will solve this issue.

2.) Great, exactly what I thought (manually change speakers to small/80 Hz after calibration)

3.) Awesome! Did not know HDMI control on the AVR was automatically set to "off"

4.) I have wired the AVR directly, not through wireless. I don't believe the marantz sr7007 can connect to the network wirelessly, I could be wrong. Despite being connected directly, the marantz is still not visible on the device, and I'm not sure the reason why. The unit is in my basement, and the WiFi connection isn't that strong so perhaps I should get a WiFi signal booster to combat this?

Appreciate the help!
post #973 of 989 Old 08-20-2014, 07:47 AM
585-645-1006

^^
1. Correct. A camera tripod will make a difference and a mic boom stand an even bigger one.
4. The unit can be connected "wirelessly" by using another router in "bridge" mode or using PowerLine adapters. If the app works when in the basement but not in other parts of the house, then yes, you would need a booster.
rbajwa13 likes this.

post #974 of 989 Old 08-21-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Having a problem here, I'm sure I'm just missing something simple. I'm trying to connect my pre-outs to a minidsp, then to an external amp. I'm getting no sound. I've gone over the minidsp settings and it should be working. To test the signal I touched the speaker cable to the RCA connector pin/shield from the pre-out figuring I should at least hear something, and I don't. I don't think my receiver is outputting anything through the pre-out. What am I missing?
post #975 of 989 Old 08-21-2014, 04:07 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Take the miniDsp out of the loop.

post #976 of 989 Old 08-21-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I just wired the pre-out direct to the amp and got sound. Something with the minidsp I guess. Hope it wasn't damaged in the move.
post #977 of 989 Old 08-23-2014, 04:47 PM

Quick question about connecting the subwoofer using the LFE mode. I am using the red cable from the RGA cable to connect the LEF input from my subwoofer to the marantz unit (from what I read, it doesn't really matter what colour of the RGA cable you use). Was just wondering, where on the marantz receiver should i connect the other end of the cable? Thanks!
post #978 of 989 Old 08-23-2014, 04:51 PM
585-645-1006

^^
A sub coax digital cable is 75-ohm just as is the "yellow" composite video cable while the red/white audio cables are 50-ohm. The cable is connected to either of the subwoofer pre-outs on the AVR.
rbajwa13 likes this.

post #979 of 989 Old 08-23-2014, 07:17 PM

Thanks! Right now the cable I am using just has the red and white, which I believe are called audio cables? I have the red one attached as I mentioned, so I guess it wouldn't make a difference using the red or white since they are both 50 ohm? By the way, is there a quality difference between one cable offering 50 ohm of resistance as oppsoed to 75 ohm? Appreciate it as always!
post #980 of 989 Old 08-24-2014, 06:33 AM
585-645-1006

^^
I'd use the "yellow" one instead.

post #981 of 989 Old 08-24-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
^^
I'd use the "yellow" one instead.
Unfortunately the cable I have only has red and white, so I'm guessing it doesn't matter which cable I use then? Or would you advise switching this with a 75 ohm RGA cable that includes the "yellow" one because the quality is noticeable and superior? Thanks
post #982 of 989 Old 08-27-2014, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm new to the Marantz world. Just replaced my old Denon 1910 with a SR7007. So far I am very pleased (after multiple Audyssey runs). I am having a bit of an issue though. Over the last week I've turned the AVR on to find that the subwoofer level and the center (dialog level) have reset to where Audyssey set them. After running Audyssey the sub level was set at -6, and the center at -4. I like to run the sub a bit hot and like to raise it up to -2, and the center also at -2. A few times firing it up, and it's back at -6, and -4.

Wondered if this is a quirk in my AVR, or am I accidentally doing something for those levels to reset?
post #983 of 989 Old 08-27-2014, 01:27 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbajwa13 View Post
Unfortunately the cable I have only has red and white, so I'm guessing it doesn't matter which cable I use then? Or would you advise switching this with a 75 ohm RGA cable that includes the "yellow" one because the quality is noticeable and superior? Thanks
I would suggest simply shelling out the $5 and buying a real "coax digital sub cable."

post #984 of 989 Old 08-27-2014, 01:29 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by o CUBBY o View Post
So I'm new to the Marantz world. Just replaced my old Denon 1910 with a SR7007. So far I am very pleased (after multiple Audyssey runs). I am having a bit of an issue though. Over the last week I've turned the AVR on to find that the subwoofer level and the center (dialog level) have reset to where Audyssey set them. After running Audyssey the sub level was set at -6, and the center at -4. I like to run the sub a bit hot and like to raise it up to -2, and the center also at -2. A few times firing it up, and it's back at -6, and -4.

Wondered if this is a quirk in my AVR, or am I accidentally doing something for those levels to reset?
Where are you looking? The Auto Setup settings will show the original Audyssey settings and will never change until you run Audyssey again while the Manual Setup settings are the values you change the original settings to.

post #985 of 989 Old 08-27-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Where are you looking? The Auto Setup settings will show the original Audyssey settings and will never change until you run Audyssey again while the Manual Setup settings are the values you change the original settings to.
I'm not really looking at either for this. The "Auto Audyssey Setup" and "Manual Setup" choices are under the "Speakers" in the set up menu.

What I'm looking at is the "Subwoofer Level" and "Dialog Level" selections under "Audio" in the set up menu where it gives you the choice to raise or lower the level of just the sub, or the center.
post #986 of 989 Old 08-27-2014, 02:01 PM
585-645-1006

^^
I don't recall if the SR7007 can store by source (don't think so though), so if you are talking about the same source having this issue, then suggest unplugging the AVR for 10 minutes (soft reset) and see if that resolves the issue.

post #987 of 989 Old 08-27-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
^^
I don't recall if the SR7007 can store by source (don't think so though), so if you are talking about the same source having this issue, then suggest unplugging the AVR for 10 minutes (soft reset) and see if that resolves the issue.
Thanks for the responses jd. It happens with all sources. As far as I can tell the sr7007 will save one setting for analog sources, and one for digital. For music (CD/Phono) I have the sub set at 0, and for Bluray/Game I have it set at -2. I've gone back and forth between the two and those settings stick. I was actually really excited about this because with the Denon I was always raising and lowering the sub between music and movies. If it doesn't reset itself again, I can just set it and forget it. I did run up and turn it on, and the settings are still where I set them last night. I'll try the soft reset as you suggested if it happens again.
post #988 of 989 Old 08-28-2014, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there. I am a new owner of a 7007, replaced a 10 year old H/K that started wigging out a bit. I have a couple of issues I was hoping somebody could help me with:
1. It seems as though I cannot store speaker level and crossover settings independently for each input source. This is very frustrating since my 10 year old H/K had this capability. This new thing has a 190 page manual and no way to store independent settings on different inputs?? Argh. Please tell me I am missing something.
2. It seems like the video is slightly AHEAD of the audio, which of course I can't fix with audio delay. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
post #989 of 989 Old 08-28-2014, 10:02 AM
585-645-1006

^^
1. Correct.
2. If it happens with all sources, you may want to try a microprocessor reset, otherwise if only with one source, it may be more advantageous to connect video to TV and audio to AVR.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr7007 Home Theater Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr7007 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page