Marantz SR7007 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 39 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1141 of 1158 Old 03-07-2015, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Graphic EQ?

Hi,

I searched for an answer but couldn't it. I apologize if this question has been asked before.

I just got my sr-7007 hooked up to my 5.1 system using the avr's internal amps.

After running Audyssey, there are different options under the Audyssey option in the setup menu. I can choose between Audyssey, flat, etc. One option is Graphic Eq.

If I select Graphic Eq, it opens up a screen with a graphic equalizer. Do these graphic eq adjustments disable Audyssey in order to apply the manual eq settings I select? I'm asking because I find the sound a bit bright compared to my previous avr.

Any information would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1158 Old 03-08-2015, 03:26 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3354 Post(s)
Liked: 2080
^^
Yes, Audyssey is disabled when Graphic EQ is used.
audit13 likes this.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #1143 of 1158 Old 03-08-2015, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

^^ Thanks for the reply.

I turned on Home Theatre EQ which, according to the manual, will soften the treble range. Looks like it only applies when playing movie soundtracks. When playing a multichannel SACD, the option was not available.

Last edited by audit13; 03-10-2015 at 12:00 PM.
post #1144 of 1158 Old 03-10-2015, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys. Had my 7007 for a while now and wanted to reluctantly ask a couple of questions. Probably silly ones!

When I first turn the tv and receiver on, the reciever automatically changes to a black screen and displays the Marantz logo. Is there a way to change this so that when I turn it on, it will go back to the last source I was using? 'Usually the Virgin TiVo'

Also a strange one! When I turn the reciever off the LED on the front of the reciever sometimes stays green, but sometimes turns orange?? Any one know why?!!

Thanks
post #1145 of 1158 Old 03-10-2015, 04:35 PM
585-645-1006

^^
1. Set HDMI Control to OFF.
2. When HDMI Control/IP Control/Network Standby is set to ON, the power light changes from "red" (normal standby) to "orange".

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
post #1146 of 1158 Old 03-11-2015, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannman87 View Post

Also a strange one! When I turn the reciever off the LED on the front of the reciever sometimes stays green, but sometimes turns orange?? Any one know why?!!

Thanks

Feels like deja vu to me but I somehow remember it being related to zone switching. Make sure all your zones are off by pressing "Select Zone" on the remote (first button top left) and then pressing the "on/off" button on the remote for the zone displayed on the remote lcd.
Better yet if you are not using multiple zones just switch them off permanently. Look for "Amp Assign" option in the manual.
post #1147 of 1158 Old 03-12-2015, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Follow up to my previous post.

I still can't say I like the sound i get when i play CD and other analog inputs like PHONO and CASSETTE player on the 7007. So I instinctively went back to my old Stereo system, and just for the heck of it hooked up an old subwoofer to it. It was a miraculous but astonishing discovery. The sound I was looking for plus the added bass.

Then I thought why stop there. So I hooked up 4 double cube Bose speakers without its crappy subwoofer that I picked up on Craiglist to my beloved SR7007. Another astonishing discovery. Glorious output......!! Only thing left was to get another subwoofer for the 7007. And FRY"s just happened to have a one day sale on a 12" Klipsch subwoofer for $199.00, which I scooped up.

Who says the old can't coexist with the new.........definitely no such problem in my house....: I'm now a happy camper!! Happy listening everyone.....
post #1148 of 1158 Old 03-12-2015, 03:39 PM

Liked: 2
Here is an odd one:

When I play I tunes via the cat 5 cable the SR 7007 limits my volume to - 6db. I can't go above this. Whether I use the slider on my computer, remote, or volume knob I am still limited. Plenty loud but on occasion I like more.

The ITune player is the only source that limits volume. Net radio has full volume control so it is not the computer and probably not the SR 7007 but I thought I would ask.

Any ideas?
post #1149 of 1158 Old 03-13-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altheia View Post
Here is an odd one:

When I play I tunes via the cat 5 cable the SR 7007 limits my volume to - 6db. I can't go above this. Whether I use the slider on my computer, remote, or volume knob I am still limited. Plenty loud but on occasion I like more.

The ITune player is the only source that limits volume. Net radio has full volume control so it is not the computer and probably not the SR 7007 but I thought I would ask.

Any ideas?

I swear I have seen that -6db thing when I connected my ipod to it for the first couple of times. Then I have done a lot of setup including switching Audessey off and unused zones off and now I just cant see that anymore, which is good, but cant tell what caused it go away. Have you tried checking in Setup->Inputs->Source Level and see if that is pegged at -6 ? Keep in mind its for the "current source" so make sure the input you are having trouble with is active or playing.
post #1150 of 1158 Old 03-13-2015, 01:53 PM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anode View Post
I swear I have seen that -6db thing when I connected my ipod to it for the first couple of times. Then I have done a lot of setup including switching Audessey off and unused zones off and now I just cant see that anymore, which is good, but cant tell what caused it go away. Have you tried checking in Setup->Inputs->Source Level and see if that is pegged at -6 ? Keep in mind its for the "current source" so make sure the input you are having trouble with is active or playing.

Thanks.
Interesting you saw that same behavior. Hmmm maybe compression settings?

Have you tried checking Setup->Inputs->Source Level and see if that is pegged at -6 ?

Yes, but I think that is for the line level in. It is at 0 db for all my inputs. I can increase that and I can get more volume at - 6 db, I think because the input has been boosted, but the volume still pegs at -6. I can't make it louder once again with slider, knob or remote.

I contacted Marantz but they could not offer anything. They suggested to try an Ipod into the aux port to see how that might act but I don't have an Ipod.

I'll to borrow a friends or I'll try another laptop with Itunes.

Anyone else have Itunes connected via network cable?
post #1151 of 1158 Old 03-18-2015, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

I've been using my sr7007 for about 3 weeks now and I still find the sound kind of bright, in SACDs and movies.

My fronts are Energy RC-70s, center is an Energy RC-LCR, surrounds are Energy VS, and sub is a PB12-NSD.

Does anyone think an external amp, such as a 5-channel Bryston, will make a difference?

I was going to use the grahic eq option but that disables Audyssey. I tried the tone controls and it helps a little bit.

Any thoughts? Please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by audit13; 03-18-2015 at 04:08 PM.
post #1152 of 1158 Old 03-18-2015, 04:14 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Do you have your FL/FR speakers toed in to the main listening position? If not, give it a try and run Audyssey again.
audit13 likes this.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #1153 of 1158 Old 03-18-2015, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

^^The front L&R were toed in when I ran Audyssey. I ran Audyssey twice just to make sure it there wasn't some sort of Audyssey error the first time.

I want to try an external amp but having to re-wire everything is holding me back

Edit: Does using or enabling the tone controls disable Audyssey?

Edit2: If I copy the Audyssey curve to the Graphic EQ and then adjust the frequencies from there, would I retain the Audyssey settings for all frequencies except for the frequencies I adjust using the equalizer? Would I retain the distances, boost/cut, and crossover settings for each speaker that Audyssey set?

Last edited by audit13; 03-18-2015 at 06:24 PM.
post #1154 of 1158 Old 03-19-2015, 04:32 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post
^^The front L&R were toed in when I ran Audyssey. I ran Audyssey twice just to make sure it there wasn't some sort of Audyssey error the first time.

I want to try an external amp but having to re-wire everything is holding me back

Edit: Does using or enabling the tone controls disable Audyssey?

Edit2: If I copy the Audyssey curve to the Graphic EQ and then adjust the frequencies from there, would I retain the Audyssey settings for all frequencies except for the frequencies I adjust using the equalizer? Would I retain the distances, boost/cut, and crossover settings for each speaker that Audyssey set?
1. Not Audyssey, but you must disable Dynamic EQ in order to use Tone Controls.
2. No. Using the Graphic EQ will disable Audyssey, otherwise the other settings are set by the AVR (not Audyssey) so they would be retained.
audit13 likes this.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #1155 of 1158 Old 03-19-2015, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
1. Not Audyssey, but you must disable Dynamic EQ in order to use Tone Controls.
2. No. Using the Graphic EQ will disable Audyssey, otherwise the other settings are set by the AVR (not Audyssey) so they would be retained.
I attentuated the treble using tone was it didn't help as much as I had hoped.

By copying the Audyssey curve to graphic eq, I was hoping that the Audyssey frequency settings would be transferred to the graphic eq and I could adjust individual frequency bands from graphic eq settings. For example, if Audyssey set a frequency boost of +2 at 16 khz, I hoped that copying the Audyssey curve would result in a +2 boost at 16 khz and the boost would remain unless I manually reduced or increased the boost using the graphic eq controls.

Sounds like my understanding of the copy curve function and graphic eq is incorrect and I can't think of another reason for copying the curve to the graphic eq.
post #1156 of 1158 Old 03-21-2015, 06:45 AM

Channel imbalance problem ?

I have only a simple two channel setup (2.0), just FL and FR using the MAIN ZONE amp only. I dont use Audessey however I have conducted the speaker measurement exercise just to see what happens and I made a very disturbing discovery.
I am having a problem where my FL always shows 3-4db below FR. Thats a very significant imbalance. At first I thought it could be my speakers or wires or location of the speakers but I have ruled all that out. If I simply swap the speaker channel wires at the back of the amp the imbalance moves to the right - meaning now FR is 3-4db lower than FL, which I guess proves that the balance issue is in the amp.

Has anyone ever run into this type of an issue ? Is this to be expected from a $1800 amp ?
I guess most people who use the speaker setup and let the amp manage it do not realize this imbalance because the amp eq and audessey compensates for that but what about when you dont use eq like say in pure direct mode. This would be disastrous. So I am trying to figure out if this is a defect in my unit or if thats how it is. If anyone could please comment on their experience I'd highly appreciate it. Thanks!
post #1157 of 1158 Old 03-22-2015, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Sound has mellowed over time

I sat down and listened to some multichannel SACDs and noticed that the sound now seems much more balanced. It's not really bright and the bass seems to be a bit fuller.

I did not change any of my previous Audyssey settings from my inital settings (all speakers set to small, crossover set to 80, tone controls off, sound set to Audyssey as opposed to Audyssey flat or by-pass, Home Theatre EQ off). The receiver has probably had about 100 hours of use.

Is it my imagination or does the sound mellow and become more balanced with use? Thoughts?

Last edited by audit13; 03-22-2015 at 06:11 PM.
post #1158 of 1158 Old Today, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I posted over in the speaker section that either my Marantz 7007 receiver or a Veritas speaker has an issue. My front left is not outputting, or super faint. Turns out it is the receiver. I bought it on 1/28/2013. So, there should be warranty.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue?

How do I contact Marantz "Warranty"?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr7007 Home Theater Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page