Marantz SR7007 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 1064 Old 09-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Newbie
 
ljudnisse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here EU ( Sweden ) a new FW was relesed yesterday that includes the Spotify app !!!
But there is no info on Marantz web what more this FW includes.
ljudnisse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 1064 Old 09-04-2012, 09:10 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 46,182
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1833 Post(s)
Liked: 1718
The Spotify firmware update should be released to the USA/CA Marantz 1603 and X007 units later this week.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #93 of 1064 Old 09-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Newbie
 
ljudnisse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The Spotify firmware update should be released to the USA/CA Marantz 1603 and X007 units later this week.

Not nice by Marantntz to use EU as test market ;-)
But the Spotify app works fine and it even have an search function, that it not implementet on for example Onkyos AVRs.
ljudnisse is offline  
post #94 of 1064 Old 09-04-2012, 09:18 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 46,182
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1833 Post(s)
Liked: 1718
Thanks for the feedback. AFAIK, the update was released to all regions around the world except the USA/CA.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #95 of 1064 Old 09-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Newbie
 
bootx2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I upgraded from an AVR-4308CI to the SR7007 because of the 3D HDMI inputs and i must say that this blows it out of the water sonically. I also just setup an AVR3313CI for a client and i feel the same. I like the toyota vs. lexus comparison. Macintosh is part of D&M...are you guys going to say that they use the same design team as well? I personally like that marantz is taking a lot from denon, like the gui, 2nd zone hd outputs. I've always wanted to install marantz gear in my clients home but, until the past couple years, chose denon sometimes because of the bells and whistles. Now it's the best of both worlds.
bootx2 is offline  
post #96 of 1064 Old 09-05-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
^^^

rolleyes.gif

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
post #97 of 1064 Old 09-08-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cattledog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Home Theatre Mag in the Oct 2012 issue has a glowing review of the SR7007. "A great receiver well worth it's price".

CD

Reality Based.
Cattledog is offline  
post #98 of 1064 Old 09-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
BruceOmega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks to a post by Wide Glide in a different thread, here is a link to a review of the SR7007:

http://www.hometheater.com/content/marantz-sr7007-av-receiver



One item that caught my attention was:

"..... Another amp-related nicety, borrowed from Marantz’s high-end stereo gear, is Current Feedback Technology. Most amps use voltage feedback to control distortion. With current feedback, the circuit can respond more quickly to rapid changes in input voltage. Marantz touts reduced distortion at lower output levels, where amps function most of the time, and says it is the only A/V receiver manufacturer to use current feedback."

Independent of Marantz's claim for the benefits of this, it does seem to provide an objective piece of information on circuit differences between Marantz and others.

Bruce
BruceOmega is offline  
post #99 of 1064 Old 09-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Member
 
Prietz0r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post

Thanks to a post by Wide Glide in a different thread, here is a link to a review of the SR7007:
http://www.hometheater.com/content/marantz-sr7007-av-receiver
One item that caught my attention was:
"..... Another amp-related nicety, borrowed from Marantz’s high-end stereo gear, is Current Feedback Technology. Most amps use voltage feedback to control distortion. With current feedback, the circuit can respond more quickly to rapid changes in input voltage. Marantz touts reduced distortion at lower output levels, where amps function most of the time, and says it is the only A/V receiver manufacturer to use current feedback."
Independent of Marantz's claim for the benefits of this, it does seem to provide an objective piece of information on circuit differences between Marantz and others.
Bruce

Let's compare the "HT Labs Measures" from the same site smile.gif

For the new Marantz SR7007:

Two channels driven continuously into 4-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 205.1 watts
1% distortion at 225.4 watts

Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 124.3 watts
1% distortion at 143.2 watts

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 89.5 watts
1% distortion at 111.4 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 70.5 watts
1% distortion at 83.8 watts


For the 'old' Marantz SR7005:

Two channels driven continuously into 4-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 200.1 watts
1% distortion at 222.6 watts

Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 121.5 watts
1% distortion at 139.5 watts

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 91.2 watts
1% distortion at 112.1 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 74.6 watts
1% distortion at 89.6 watts


For the Denon AVR-3312CI which is reported as be in the same 'class' as the Marantz 700x series with similar components smile.gif :

Two channels driven continuously into 4-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 202.0 watts
1% distortion at 225.5 watts

Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 122.9 watts
1% distortion at 143.3 watts

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 82.9 watts
1% distortion at 103.0 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 79.5 watts
1% distortion at 96.8 watts

And one of the competitors from a other company the Pioneer Elite SC-57 (Pioneer SC-LX85 is other countries):

Two channels driven continuously into 4-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 215.7 watts
1% distortion at 254.2 watts

Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 138.1 watts
1% distortion at 178.0 watts

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 115.1 watts
1% distortion at 132.0 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 109.6 watts
1% distortion at 123.7 watts


Interesting is that the 'older' Marantz is apparently testing just a bit better, but not really a big change, no new amp section for the newer one ?
The Denon AVR-3312CI is benchmarking quite the same as both Marantz models smile.gif
Looks like the amp section in both brands are outputting the same power amount of power.

And the Pioneer has the highest output, but that was expected the rated output is 140 watt 2 channels to 125 for the Marantz and Denon models smile.gif

TV: Panasonic TX-P50VT30E
Audio | Receiver: Pioneer VSX-AX2AS-S (Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS) | Speakers: 2x KEF Q900 for Fronts | 2x KEF Q700 for Rears
Audio/Video Sources | Panasonic DMP-BDT 310 | Pioneer PL-510 | HTPC using Intel i3-3220 16GB XBMC on Ubuntu 13.10
Prietz0r is offline  
post #100 of 1064 Old 09-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
BruceOmega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prietz0r View Post

Let's compare the "HT Labs Measures" from the same site smile.gif
For the new Marantz SR7007:
Two channels driven continuously into 4-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 205.1 watts
1% distortion at 225.4 watts
Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 124.3 watts
1% distortion at 143.2 watts
Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 89.5 watts
1% distortion at 111.4 watts
Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 70.5 watts
1% distortion at 83.8 watts
For the 'old' Marantz SR7005:
Two channels driven continuously into 4-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 200.1 watts
1% distortion at 222.6 watts
Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 121.5 watts
1% distortion at 139.5 watts
Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 91.2 watts
1% distortion at 112.1 watts
Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 74.6 watts
1% distortion at 89.6 watts
For the Denon AVR-3312CI which is reported as be in the same 'class' as the Marantz 700x series with similar components smile.gif :
Two channels driven continuously into 4-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 202.0 watts
1% distortion at 225.5 watts
Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 122.9 watts
1% distortion at 143.3 watts
Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 82.9 watts
1% distortion at 103.0 watts
Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 79.5 watts
1% distortion at 96.8 watts
And one of the competitors from a other company the Pioneer Elite SC-57 (Pioneer SC-LX85 is other countries):
Two channels driven continuously into 4-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 215.7 watts
1% distortion at 254.2 watts
Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 138.1 watts
1% distortion at 178.0 watts
Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 115.1 watts
1% distortion at 132.0 watts
Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 109.6 watts
1% distortion at 123.7 watts
Interesting is that the 'older' Marantz is apparently testing just a bit better, but not really a big change, no new amp section for the newer one ?
The Denon AVR-3312CI is benchmarking quite the same as both Marantz models smile.gif
Looks like the amp section in both brands are outputting the same power amount of power.
And the Pioneer has the highest output, but that was expected the rated output is 140 watt 2 channels to 125 for the Marantz and Denon models smile.gif

Interesting, but I wasn't referring to output power. Earlier in this thread, before things went viral, there was a discussion I found interesting on whether the inside of the SR7007 was the same as a Denon model, or whether Marantz had any different circuitry assuming they were both using the same basic building blocks. The statement from Marantz in the review referenced a difference in circuitry, indicating the Marantz is not a 100% clone of the Denon.

Whether the differences in circuitry affect output power, result in audible sonic differences, etc. is a different question.

Thanks
Bruce
BruceOmega is offline  
post #101 of 1064 Old 09-09-2012, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lespurgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: California
Posts: 2,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Looks like somebody here has to buy both a Denon and Marantz and take the tops off for a good old comparison of insides. My wild guess is all processing is identical, but output section is unique.
lespurgeon is offline  
post #102 of 1064 Old 09-10-2012, 07:48 AM
 
BeeMan458's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 8,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
This being a Marantz thread, it will be up to the Denon gang to put out the effort.

...........................................biggrin.gif


"Tastes great! Less filling!"
BeeMan458 is offline  
post #103 of 1064 Old 09-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
BruceOmega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

Looks like somebody here has to buy both a Denon and Marantz and take the tops off for a good old comparison of insides. My wild guess is all processing is identical, but output section is unique.

Marantz lists HDAM, and I don't see a corresponding claim on the Denon web site, implying there could be a difference in the pre-amp section.

Denon lists the Denon Link HD Jitter-Free Audio Transmission Technology for connecting a Denon player. I don't see a corresponding claim from Marantz for connecting a Marantz player.

Thanks
Bruce
BruceOmega is offline  
post #104 of 1064 Old 09-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Newbie
 
Hallberg Rassy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Italy
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SR7007 should already be in some house ... no one wants to give us his first impressions? smile.gif
Hallberg Rassy is offline  
post #105 of 1064 Old 09-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Newbie
 
quattro2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I have the SR7007. I have had it for about a month now and I like it overall. I came from a Denon 4810 Ci and the Marantz is sonically superior in every way. More musical, better imaging with my B&W Naut. 804s. The only gripe i have is that when you change channels or mute the unit, the volume comes back up to the previous level SLOWLY. It may be a function of the Audessy system but I haven't had time to mess with it yet.
This unit is shallower than my Denon, but a bit taller. It fits in my custom cabinetry better. I love the look of the porthole design. Very distinctive yet sutle. The Sr7007 runs considerably cooler than the Denon did. Not sure if the HDAM circuitry is part of that or not, but it is noticeable.
I love the app contol of the unit with my android phone. Almost as good as having a Sonos system hooked up to it. I can enable zone 1 or 2 and chose the song list to play off of itunes (third party app) or use the native Marantz app to control Pandora or now Spotify. Pandora works great. I dont have Spotify. I think the ability to control network functions (which the Denon had but never did work well at all) make this receiver a great buy.
Powerful, beautiful and functional. Highly recommended.
quattro2 is offline  
post #106 of 1064 Old 09-11-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 7,476
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 475
A slow change in sound volume is not a feature of Audyssey. It's more likely to be a design decision made by the Marantz engineers. (I have a vague recollection of someone mentioning a slow volume increase for a current generation receiver in another thread. I wish I could remember which one...)

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #107 of 1064 Old 09-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
BruceOmega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro2 View Post

Well I have the SR7007. I have had it for about a month now and I like it overall. I came from a Denon 4810 Ci and the Marantz is sonically superior in every way. More musical, better imaging with my B&W Naut. 804s. The only gripe i have is that when you change channels or mute the unit, the volume comes back up to the previous level SLOWLY. It may be a function of the Audessy system but I haven't had time to mess with it yet.
This unit is shallower than my Denon, but a bit taller. It fits in my custom cabinetry better. I love the look of the porthole design. Very distinctive yet sutle. The Sr7007 runs considerably cooler than the Denon did. Not sure if the HDAM circuitry is part of that or not, but it is noticeable.
I love the app contol of the unit with my android phone. Almost as good as having a Sonos system hooked up to it. I can enable zone 1 or 2 and chose the song list to play off of itunes (third party app) or use the native Marantz app to control Pandora or now Spotify. Pandora works great. I dont have Spotify. I think the ability to control network functions (which the Denon had but never did work well at all) make this receiver a great buy.
Powerful, beautiful and functional. Highly recommended.

Thanks for posting. I have an SR7007 on order and am very encouraged by your positive comments.

Bruce
BruceOmega is offline  
post #108 of 1064 Old 09-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Member
 
Dssquared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it possible to buy the 7007 in the beautiful light gold finish in the US?

'That sure is a nice record player you got there...'
Dssquared is offline  
post #109 of 1064 Old 09-14-2012, 03:10 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 46,182
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1833 Post(s)
Liked: 1718
AFAIK, those are only sold outside the USA.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #110 of 1064 Old 09-15-2012, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Icon Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro2 View Post

Well I have the SR7007.
I can enable zone 1 or 2 and chose the song list to play off of itunes (third party app)
.

quattro2 - What is the name of the third party app you use to play off of iTunes?

Thanks!
Icon Master is offline  
post #111 of 1064 Old 09-18-2012, 06:20 AM
Newbie
 
quattro2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried several of them. iRemote Free,and Remote iTunes w/dj voting. They all work ok, none great, but worth a try. Even the paid apps have free trials for most,
quattro2 is offline  
post #112 of 1064 Old 09-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Member
 
mrRobinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have this receiver, and first time setting up real surround sound so bear with me. Was looking to do a 7.2 setup. Going with B&W speakers front - CM9 center - CM centre 2 sides and rear surround - CM 1 and 2 subs the ASW10CMs all here: http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/CM_Series/

Still prepping everything and doing a lot of reading but a few questions...
1. the 2 sub connections used are the ones listed in the pre-out section? and if so why? (this will be the only thing i have connected to pre-out i think)
2. TV is connected via HDMI. sources will all be hdmi (blu-ray, ps3, apple tv, directv receiver) - what would i use the 7.1 in section for? nothing right?
3. I notice connections for front wide and front highs. from my research this would be audyssey dsx? which would add 4 more fronts but non-discrete so if i had a 7.1 source blu-ray it'd basically be coming out 11.1 worth of speakers?
a. is there something special to do to configure audyssey dsx?
b. what speakers would you recommend for the FH and FW? More CM1 pairs?

any other tips or advice let me know. thanks.
mrRobinson is offline  
post #113 of 1064 Old 09-19-2012, 07:02 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 46,182
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1833 Post(s)
Liked: 1718
1. Correct. Speakers/subs that are not powered by the AVR are connected to the pre-outs.
2. Correct.
3. DSX (wide/height) or DD PLIIz (front height). No, as the 11 sets of speaker posts are provided for convenience only. The AVR can only play up to 7 channels at a time, so expanding from 5CH to 7CH you have several choices to include either Surr Back, Front Height or Front Wide. Audyssey notes that Front Wide will add the most improvement to the surround experience followed by Front Height and lastly by Surr Back. As there is still very little true 7.1 audio, the majority of audio will be simulated up to 7.1.
3(a). Yes. A-DSX (p. 117).
3(b). Front Height - CM1 (mounted in ceiling aimed down towards main listening position), Front Wide (ideally CM9 or if CM1, mounted on stands with tweeters at same height as the CM9 FL/FR).



---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #114 of 1064 Old 09-19-2012, 07:33 AM
Member
 
mrRobinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply. I'm all set. I'm looking up blu-rays with either dolby true HD 7.1 or DTS-HD Master 7.1. You're right, not many but they exist so should be able to hear it at its best.
I'll be starting with all the white speakers in the diagram and maybe add the wides later.
mrRobinson is offline  
post #115 of 1064 Old 09-24-2012, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
BruceOmega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up my SR7007 over the weekend, and am very pleased.

It was easy to set up and start using. Everything is very intuitive.

I had borrowed an inexpensive Onkyo stereo receiver from my "retro" system to use as a stop gap until the SR7007 arrived. For the Onkyo, I had to use analog interconnects from the BluRay player and the DirecTV box. With the SR7007, all interconnects are HDMI.

One of the first things I watched and listened to was a Stones concert on Palladia. There was one song where Mick and Keith were both singing at the same time using the same microphone. I was impressed with the degree to which I could easily and clearly distinguish each of their voices. I never experienced that with the Onkyo and analog interconnects.

I then configured the BluRay player to bitstream high def audio when available, and enabled the SR7007 to decode and use the bitstream input. This was the first time I have listened to Dolby True HD and DTS-HD MA and I was mesmerized. The more I listened the more I appreciated the high def audio.

Am using an older pair of speakers (borrowed from the retro system) in a 2.0 listening array. My next step is to get a timbre matched set of 3 front speakers, L, C, & R, hook up the 2 in-ceiling surround speakers, and set up a 5.0 system.

Have not run Audyssey. May wait for the new speaker system before doing that.

So far, I am impressed.

Thanks
Bruce
BruceOmega is offline  
post #116 of 1064 Old 09-24-2012, 12:27 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 46,182
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1833 Post(s)
Liked: 1718
Go ahead and run Audyssey on the stereo speakers. You can always run it again with the new setup.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #117 of 1064 Old 09-28-2012, 05:04 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 46,182
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1833 Post(s)
Liked: 1718
FREE SiriusXM

SiriusXM is offering a FREE 6-Month Trial when you enter promo code TALENT092012.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #118 of 1064 Old 10-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Member
 
Pinebaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I temporarily purchased the SR7007 while waiting for my Onkyo 5007 to be returned with a new HDMI board.
My initial impressions (solely based on the User Interface) were horrible. I had just been delivered the Emotiva XR-5 and it coincided with the Onkyo failure. I initially wired up the SR7007 as a direct replacement for the Onkyo 5007, setup Audyssey but somehow was not impressed with the output into my 7.2 system. After a lot of juggling about I managed a manual setup (most likely due to my impatience with the foster child SR7007) and got some acceptable output.

I subsequently connected my XR-5 power amp for front, center and rear channels to preamp outputs, with surrounds being fed by SR7007 surround amp. After listening to it for a week I am hearing sounds I did not hear before and it is mesmerising; no doubt requires a detailed analysis and cannot totally rely on my imagination. I'm not sure if this is a result of XR-5 or quality of SR7007 or both. I have no idea. My Onkyo will be delivered tomorrow evening and I should have better comparitive details by end of this week or early next week.

Pinebaron is offline  
post #119 of 1064 Old 10-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
BruceOmega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinebaron View Post

I temporarily purchased the SR7007 while waiting for my Onkyo 5007 to be returned with a new HDMI board.
My initial impressions (solely based on the User Interface) were horrible. I had just been delivered the Emotiva XR-5 and it coincided with the Onkyo failure. I initially wired up the SR7007 as a direct replacement for the Onkyo 5007, setup Audyssey but somehow was not impressed with the output into my 7.2 system. After a lot of juggling about I managed a manual setup (most likely due to my impatience with the foster child SR7007) and got some acceptable output.
I subsequently connected my XR-5 power amp for front, center and rear channels to preamp outputs, with surrounds being fed by SR7007 surround amp. After listening to it for a week I am hearing sounds I did not hear before and it is mesmerising; no doubt requires a detailed analysis and cannot totally rely on my imagination. I'm not sure if this is a result of XR-5 or quality of SR7007 or both. I have no idea. My Onkyo will be delivered tomorrow evening and I should have better comparitive details by end of this week or early next week.

Pinebaron,

I will be interested in feedback after you get the 5007 back and can make some comparisons between it and the SR7007.

If I am understanding correctly, you compared a 5007 functioning as both a PrePro and power amp with an SR7007 acting (primarily) as a PrePro and the XR-5 as a power amp.

Do your speakers present any kind of difficult load / are you using volume levels where the 5007 could have been clipping where the XR-5 is not?

If the power amps were not being overdriven, and assuming you are using the same sources / connectivity / use - non use of Audyssey, then that would be a difference in SQ due to the PrePro sections.

Bruce
BruceOmega is offline  
post #120 of 1064 Old 10-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Member
 
Pinebaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No I did not have an opportunity to test the 5007 as a prepro, it failed just a few days prior to XR-5 arriving. I have however used SR7007 as an amp and a prepro for five channels feeding the XR-5. After I wrote the note yesterday, I once again setup Audyssey on SR7007 but find the output levels are uncomfortablly low, loud hiss, particularly noticeable between songs, otherwise not noticeable. One begins to hear output with volume set at 65% and above on SR7007. For instance Audyssey sets sub woofer to -7db and here I have an SMS-1 and two Dynamo 1000 subs and two large front speakers and could barely feel the music. I ended up overriding default Audyssey subwoofer level. Mids and highs are really bright but lows and really lows seem attenuated; I tried playing around with other settings but could not improve that band. This is not a criticism statement until I compare with my 5007, which incidently arrived (at my wife's business) and be home later this evening; I'll be rigging it up tomorrow and commence an evaluation. It is vaguely possible I have a 'not so perfect SR7007' or completely missing some setup on it; hence, please don't consider my review too seriously, there's a glowing one on HT.

Other observations:
On my 5007 running at 7.2, I could never imagine running it at full volume with Audyssey setup, reaching 120dbs plus at less than 3/4 volume. SR7007, while driving the 500-600watts rms/channel XR-5 amp, I turned the SR7007 up to maximum volume which stopped at the 95 scale and I don't think it was anywhere near 110db plus; hence only attaining a little more than half XR-5 rated output (perceived per bar graph display on XR-5). I will be running tests with my sound meter tonight and again prior to dismantling the SR7007 tomorrow to get a meaningful comparison. I'll keep you guys posted.

Pinebaron is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr7007 Home Theater Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr7007 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off