Marantz SR7007 AV Receiver Owner's Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1064 Old 04-07-2013, 02:56 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1704
Not each time no ... rather just do it once and leave them in those positions permanently.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1064 Old 04-07-2013, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
theyre also off on the surround right speaker. I manually changed them to the correct distances however.
post #453 of 1064 Old 04-07-2013, 04:01 PM
585-645-1006

You choice, however, as noted they should be spot on, so something in the setup is not correct ... likely speaker positioning ... as longer distances means it's taking the signal longer to get to the mic.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #454 of 1064 Old 04-07-2013, 04:07 PM

For the bass settings in set up, would i put LFE or LFE and Main

I use the Neutrik sensor on my sub which runs in where i put the fron tL and R speaker cables
post #455 of 1064 Old 04-07-2013, 04:29 PM
585-645-1006

If you will be leaving the FL/FR speakers set to LARGE and still want the sub to play the lower frequencies sent to the FL/FR speakers, then you would use LFE+Main (aka "double bass"). Also note that the "sensor" are likely interfering with the signal which is why it's being delayed so best to leave the speaker distance settings alone.

Edit: I see in reading the REL T5 Owner manual that the Neutrik connector actually passes the full range FL/FR signal to the sub so setting the sub setting to LFE+Main would not be required. See my additional post below.

post #456 of 1064 Old 04-07-2013, 04:51 PM

oh i see. thank you
post #457 of 1064 Old 04-07-2013, 04:56 PM
585-645-1006

I would also suggest removing the Neutrik connector and EQing the sub using Audyssey to see how that compares to your current configuration. If you choose to continue using the Nuetrik connector, as it already allows the sub to receive the same FL/FR full range signal from the AVR, try alternating between the LFE and LFE+Main setting to see which you prefer.

post #458 of 1064 Old 04-08-2013, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When the last firmware update came out, I tried to update and I'm pretty sure I saw a message that it wasn't successful, but when I retried it seemed as if the AVR thought it had the most recent FW.

My problem is that prior to the update (or failed update, I'm not certain) I had no problems, but now my Cable box will cut out the video every now and then (audio isn't lost).

My TV is a rear projection LCD older 60" Sony with only one DVI connection on the back, so I don't have the opportunity to run a separate HDMI to the TV as suggested in a previous post.
Prior to this firmware fiasco, I had no problems running the HDMI Out (1) to the TV with a HDMI to DVI cable.

Anyone have any ideas, I bought this AVR to eliminate HDMI switching problems which it did beautifully until the "upgrade"

Thanks...

I have a Toshiba HD-DVD player and the Samsung Blu-Ray player. The winner of the format war is Me!
post #459 of 1064 Old 04-08-2013, 05:13 PM
585-645-1006

Yup. More than likely your cable box recently got a new firmware update which has been known to introduce HDMI handshake issues. Try a component/optical connection to the AVR instead.

post #460 of 1064 Old 04-10-2013, 09:30 PM

I watched This Is It last night on blu ray, and man the sound was so amazing through this receiver. Everything sounded beautiful.
and btw jdsmooithie i listened with Audyssey on smile.gif
seems with movies Audyssey works better for me than in music playback.
post #461 of 1064 Old 04-11-2013, 07:04 AM

I'm looking for some feedback from marantz owners to see if their receivers would work for a somewhat unique situation.

I'm putting together a whole house system for my mother in law that includes a 5.1 system in the TV room and 4 other speakers in various other rooms in the condo.

She wants the ability to watch a movie with only the 5.1 speakers active, or put on music or the TV news and have all speakers active so she can move room to room and still hear it.

The sources will be all digital, which is where I'm running into issues with zone 2.

Since receivers in her budget only can have analog inputs for zone 2, I'd thought of using the multi channel stereo setting as a way around th problem. Basically for music or the news, I'd set it up with multi channel stereo. I could then use the back surround channel pre outs to an external multi channel amp and that should get sound to the speakers in the other rooms.

My question is when it comes to movies, can you force it to only be 5.1? I believe the receiver would think there are 7 speakers connected for surround since I'm running out from the back surround pre outs. I don't want these used when just watching a movie. Is it possible to force 5.1 if 7 speakers are connected?

Sorry if my scenario isn't clear. I can't figure a better way to explain it.
post #462 of 1064 Old 04-11-2013, 05:32 PM
585-645-1006

Why the 7007 and not a lower level model? Another problem is that you cannot run Audyssey on the 5.1 setup and then add the additional speakers without Audyssey shutting down until the new speakers are EQ'd. You would be much better served simply connecting an analog cable from the digital sources to the AVR noting that internet radio, Airplay, Pandora, and USB all go to Zone 2.

post #463 of 1064 Old 04-12-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Why the 7007 and not a lower level model? Another problem is that you cannot run Audyssey on the 5.1 setup and then add the additional speakers without Audyssey shutting down until the new speakers are EQ'd. You would be much better served simply connecting an analog cable from the digital sources to the AVR noting that internet radio, Airplay, Pandora, and USB all go to Zone 2.
Thanks for the reply. I am planning on a 5007, I just wasn't getting any feedback in that thread and figured it would be common between marantz models so I came here.
That's a bummer about audyssey. Her room is less than ideal (set up by the decorator with how it looks in mind, not how to make audio sound best). I'm going to have to explore a way to turn on and off the power amp for the other speakers.
I guess that brings up another question though...If I run audyssey with the external power amp off, and then power it on for music with the receiver on all channel stereo, the settings are turned off. When I go back to 5.1 with the external amp off, would Audyssey turn back on?
I can run an analog cable from her cable box so she can watch the news with sound to all rooms using zone 2. Unfortunately for music I plan to have her cds imported to iTunes on a mac mini. The mini doesn't have analog output. I suppose it could be set up for airplay for music though. I'm trying to keep it simple, with everything controlled by a harmony link and her iPad so it'll be press one button and it sets it up correctly.
post #464 of 1064 Old 04-12-2013, 12:19 PM

Dynamic equalizer and home theater equalizer: should I leave both of these off?
Audyssey calibration is complete.
Thanks.

Phil
post #465 of 1064 Old 04-12-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Dyn EQ is often left on: it increases the soundlevel of the lowest and highest frequencies to compensate for how our hearing sensitivity falls off when listening to volume levels below reference. It has a variety of settings.

Home Theater EQ can be used to compensate for the high frequency enhancement that's present in most movie soundtracks when you're not using Audyssey. The equalization curve used by the "Audyssey" (movie) equalization setting does the equivalent, while the equalization curve used by the "Audyssey Flat" (music) equalization setting does not roll off the high frequencies.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #466 of 1064 Old 04-13-2013, 04:19 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg002 View Post

Dynamic equalizer and home theater equalizer: should I leave both of these off?
Audyssey calibration is complete.
Thanks.

Phil

To add to Selden's post ...... Dyn EQ on all the time for all sources .... setting Reference Level Offset to 10db for TV/music sources to enhance center channel dialog leaving Home Theater equalizer OFF. Note however, that the setup is yours, so experiment to determine which settings you prefer the best. smile.gif

post #467 of 1064 Old 04-13-2013, 04:37 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjayl View Post

Thanks for the reply. I am planning on a 5007, I just wasn't getting any feedback in that thread and figured it would be common between marantz models so I came here.
That's a bummer about audyssey. Her room is less than ideal (set up by the decorator with how it looks in mind, not how to make audio sound best). I'm going to have to explore a way to turn on and off the power amp for the other speakers.
I guess that brings up another question though...If I run audyssey with the external power amp off, and then power it on for music with the receiver on all channel stereo, the settings are turned off. When I go back to 5.1 with the external amp off, would Audyssey turn back on?
I can run an analog cable from her cable box so she can watch the news with sound to all rooms using zone 2. Unfortunately for music I plan to have her cds imported to iTunes on a mac mini. The mini doesn't have analog output. I suppose it could be set up for airplay for music though. I'm trying to keep it simple, with everything controlled by a harmony link and her iPad so it'll be press one button and it sets it up correctly.

If she only plans on low background music when playing audio to all rooms, another option would be using the Amp Assign "Front B" connection by connecting the additional speakers to an impedance matching speaker selector (see below) and then connecting the speaker selector to the Surr Back/Assignable speaker posts (ie. no external amp required). You would run Audyssey on the 5.1 setup only with the Front Speaker setting (p. 123 OM) set to "A" and then when audio throughout the house is desired set the Front Speaker setting to "A+B" although the Audyssey message would likely appear in this instance. This configuration would allow any audio (HDMI or otherwise) to play to all speakers. Also, as critical listening is not likely a requirement for her, not likely an issue if for some reason Audyssey cannot be run at all. Are these 4 sets of speaker pairs, 4 single speakers with "stereo" connections, or 4 speakers with "mono" connections as the signal from the AVR would be stereo?

http://www.amazon.com/OSD-Audio-ISS4-Impedance-Protection/dp/B001DW6MWE <--- if using individual volume control switches in each room

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009GUQZ9U/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=1532201582&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001DW6MWE&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0DYA5N17SZ3PQGAVBKYF <--- if not using volume control switches in each room

post #468 of 1064 Old 04-13-2013, 07:53 AM

I have looked in the owner's manual and, unless I'm going blind, I cannot see anything about storing FM radio stations. Is this a secret or an omission?
post #469 of 1064 Old 04-13-2013, 07:59 AM
585-645-1006

Presetting broadcast stations (p. 49 USA manual).

post #470 of 1064 Old 04-13-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:

If she only plans on low background music when playing audio to all rooms, another option would be using the Amp Assign "Front B" connection by connecting the additional speakers to an impedance matching speaker selector (see below) and then connecting the speaker selector to the Surr Back/Assignable speaker posts (ie. no external amp required). You would run Audyssey on the 5.1 setup only with the Front Speaker setting (p. 123 OM) set to "A" and then when audio throughout the house is desired set the Front Speaker setting to "A+B" although the Audyssey message would likely appear in this instance. This configuration would allow any audio (HDMI or otherwise) to play to all speakers. Also, as critical listening is not likely a requirement for her, not likely an issue if for some reason Audyssey cannot be run at all. Are these 4 sets of speaker pairs, 4 single speakers with "stereo" connections, or 4 speakers with "mono" connections as the signal from the AVR would be stereo?

http://www.amazon.com/OSD-Audio-ISS4-Impedance-Protection/dp/B001DW6MWE <--- if using individual volume control switches in each room

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009GUQZ9U/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=1532201582&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001DW6MWE&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0DYA5N17SZ3PQGAVBKYF <--- if not using volume control switches in each room

Thanks for the tips! Looks like it shouldn't be too hard to get running.
post #471 of 1064 Old 04-13-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:

Presetting broadcast stations (p. 49 USA manual).

Apologies. I think I was distracted by the HD radio stations title on that page. Thanks.
post #472 of 1064 Old 04-13-2013, 01:50 PM
585-645-1006

Note that the HD Tuner simply tunes in either a digital FM signal (if close enough to the station) or the analog FM signal.

post #473 of 1064 Old 04-13-2013, 04:42 PM

Im giving some serious thought into going 7.2, i have 5.1 now so was wondering anyone here made the jump and is it really worth it?
post #474 of 1064 Old 04-13-2013, 05:08 PM
585-645-1006

Adding a 2nd subwoofer to smooth out the bass is likely more beneficial then adding 2 additional speakers, although note that with the 7007 the 2 additional speakers can be used as either Front Wide, Front Height, or rear surround. Audyssey recommends the most important priority in that order (ie. rear surround has lowest priority).

post #475 of 1064 Old 04-14-2013, 11:17 AM

Can anyone tell me how to do a network reset on an SR7007? I attempted to download a firmware update but it erred out and now my receiver is stuck in an update retry loop. The microprocessor reset did not resolve the problem. I've also tried unplugging the unit and connecting directly to my modem without success. I've heard that resetting the network card can resolve the issue, but I'm not sure what the procedure is. Any help would be appreciated.
post #476 of 1064 Old 04-14-2013, 11:33 AM
585-645-1006

Network Reset
Press/hold the Movie/Music buttons while powering on the AVR. You can also try setting Network Standby to OFF.

And if still no joy, you may also want to consider trying the USB update.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1420942/marantz-sr7007-av-receiver-owners-thread/400_100#post_23116093

post #477 of 1064 Old 04-14-2013, 02:18 PM

Perfect, thanks. That resolved the update retry loop. I'll give the USB update a try.
post #478 of 1064 Old 04-23-2013, 01:13 PM

What should my center channel crossover frequency be set at guys?
post #479 of 1064 Old 04-23-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Adding a 2nd subwoofer to smooth out the bass is likely more beneficial then adding 2 additional speakers, although note that with the 7007 the 2 additional speakers can be used as either Front Wide, Front Height, or rear surround. Audyssey recommends the most important priority in that order (ie. rear surround has lowest priority).

so here we can see where i have two pre wired areas for speakers, would this be considered front high or front wide?

post #480 of 1064 Old 04-23-2013, 04:46 PM

I have mine as high's
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr7007 Home Theater Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr7007 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page