denon 1910 broken channels, repair or buy a new reciever? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-19-2012, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

Unfortunately I have noticed that both the subs LFE output and my right front channels on my denon 1910 have stopped working. The speaker and sub are fine (I have tested them elsewhere) and they were working fine ~3months ago when I last ran the audessy setup. But now I get zilch from them both frown.gif

With this in mind I am wondering what I should do:

1. Send it off for repair (it is out of warrenty) any rough idea of cost? I am guessing not cheap by the time I include shipping

2. Search ebay for a replacement 1910

3. Look at 2012's line up

At the moment I run 2x B&W 685s with a HTM61 centre and 2 M1s as rears with a velodyne CHQ-12 sub.

Although I am looking to buy some B&W 683's for my front and then move the 685s to be side surrounds (I am yet to decide if the M1s will make it a 7.1 setup or remove them from the lounge entirely.

With this in mind I am wondering if upgrading is a better bet? What kind of new features/advantages are there to new models? How are the various 2012 models looking? Is denon a strong choice or have onkyo/Yamaha/Sony got king of the hill for the moment?

Thanks in advance

P.S. there is no rush, for now I have to live with it as I am am getting married and moving house in the next couple of months, so am broke frown.gif I am thinking I will sort this out close to christmas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-19-2012, 05:20 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 1398
Dust in the headphone jack results in no audio from any speaker so is not likely the cause but still worth blowing some compressed air into the headphone jack. Also try doing a microprocessor reset (p. 64). If you go the repair route, the shipping (~$40) will be the least expensive part as repair is likely to cost upwards of $200 (generally the repair shop will charge about $70 to provide an estimate which is applied to the total repair cost). Check Denon's website to determine if there are any authorized repair shops in your local area. For new, you can compare last year's XX12 models and this year's XX13 models by reviewing the first few posts in each of the respective Owner's threads linked in my sig. You may also want to consider refurb units at Accessories4Less.

A couple of other options:
(1) If you purchased with a credit card, check with your credit card provider as some add an extra year to the 2 year warranty (Amex does this).
(2) Set AMP ASSIGN to "Bi-AMP" or "Front B" and connect the FL/FR speakers to the SBL/SBR speaker posts and set Sub to "NO" and rerun AUTO SETUP.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 4 Old 07-19-2012, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Dust in the headphone jack results in no audio from any speaker so is not likely the cause but still worth blowing some compressed air into the headphone jack. Also try doing a microprocessor reset (p. 64). If you go the repair route, the shipping (~$40) will be the least expensive part as repair is likely to cost upwards of $200 (generally the repair shop will charge about $70 to provide an estimate which is applied to the total repair cost). Check Denon's website to determine if there are any authorized repair shops in your local area. For new, you can compare last year's XX12 models and this year's XX13 models by reviewing the first few posts in each of the respective Owner's threads linked in my sig. You may also want to consider refurb units at Accessories4Less.
A couple of other options:
(1) If you purchased with a credit card, check with your credit card provider as some add an extra year to the 2 year warranty (Amex does this).
(2) Set AMP ASSIGN to "Bi-AMP" or "Front B" and connect the FL/FR speakers to the SBL/SBR speaker posts and set Sub to "NO" and rerun AUTO SETUP.

Thank you for the responce smile.gif

interesting about dust in headphone jack, I will give that a go.

I was going to do a reset tonight as well, crossing my fingers its a software glitch

thats what I was afraid of for repair, basically not really fiscally worth it!

I had a read of that thread earlier, its a very interesting read, thank you smile.gif I am unsure how denon now compares to other brands though. I guess apart from key features the audio ability of the amps has remained the same?

1-unfortunately I didnt.
2-I like that idea, that could tie me over till christmas smile.gif thank you

post #4 of 4 Old 07-20-2012, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

Factory Reset worked smile.gif Who knows what software got messed up.

Cheers for the help

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page