HTD DMA-1275 12 Channel ICEpower - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-19-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wondering if anybody has any experience with the HTD DMA-1275? It looks like an interesting amp with ICEpower. I was thinking about using one to power some zone speakers on the patio / garage. I could then bridge a pair of channels to power a zone & stereo setup that I have in the living room (Paradigm MilleniaOne).
Has anybody used this amp? Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-20-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I looked at that amp when I started thinking about taking my mains active. It seems like a pretty good value on the surface.

But it has two big red flags:

(1) No FCC certification. That's not optional, but a statutory requirement in the US for digital devices. I guess these internet companies fly under the law's radar because they're so small. NuForce, however, did get in trouble for it a while back for noncompliance with one of their amps. Behringer also had to pay a fine to settle issues with FCC noncompliance.

(2) No NRTL electrical safety certification. That is technically optional, but I wouldn't allow an amplifier into my home that didn't carry electrical safety certification from an OSHA-approved NRTL.

Ask HTD, and they'll spin a tale of how their products are "tested to" various standards. But if they're tested and they actually pass, why would they not put proof on the product?

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #3 of 5 Old 07-20-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

I will have to give that some thought. I like the idea of digital amp for the zone speakers though.
I wish there were some reviews of the amp somewhere. How high would you rate the risk of not having those certifications?
Have you found anything else that is comparable?

Thanks
post #4 of 5 Old 07-20-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I don't know what the risk is. Considering that it's probably an off-the-shelf solution designed by B&O in Europe, perhaps low. The NRTL thing depends, among other things, on your insurance carrier. Still, I would never buy any amp that didn't have NRTL safety certification.

But in discussing it we're implying that non-compliance with the law is OK. As a digital product without FCC certification, this product is not in compliance with federal law. On that grounds, it should be rejected by civilized people.

As for 12-channel alternatives, I don't know the market well (and ended up buying a 7-channel Sherwood A-965, because I only needed six channels) but a company called Episode Audio has a 12-ch class D amp that's properly certified by both the FCC and an NRTL. Don't know how much it is, though.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #5 of 5 Old 07-23-2012, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I will have to give this some thought and check out the Episode amp as well. I remember looking at them a few months ago, and they did not have "audio sensing", so I took it off my lists. It looks like they have added it as a new feature though.
I wonder how the two amps compare.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page