The Official Bryston SP3 Thread. - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 1676 Old 03-12-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

I think you'll be impressed. However, before you hear the SP3, please read both Stereophle reviews on it by Kal Rubinson. I never intended to spend the kind of money I spent on this processor, but after hearing it, I had to have it. Not only were the sonic improvement noticeable, but the sound put a Hugh smile on my face because I was listening to my own CD by Greg Karukas, and heard instruments in it that I did not know was in it. And, the sound was unbelievably "pristine."

Greg Kaurkus "Night Shift" is one of my Fav's wink.gif
audiofan1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 1676 Old 03-12-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,510
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Have you compared the 8801 vs SP3 and SSP-800 and what did you think?

Nope.  I never had any two at the same time.  My comparisons/discussions are in the reviews.


Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #273 of 1676 Old 03-12-2013, 06:35 PM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 7,050
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View PostI think you'll be impressed. However, before you hear the SP3, please read both Stereophle reviews on it by Kal Rubinson. I never intended to spend the kind of money I spent on this processor, but after hearing it, I had to have it. Not only were the sonic improvement noticeable, but the sound put a Hugh smile on my face because I was listening to my own CD by Greg Karukas, and heard instruments in it that I did not know was in it. And, the sound was unbelievably "pristine."

KAL did you compare? Classe & Bryston, I guess did you buy the Bryston?

 

I am also curious as to plugging in the OPPO BDP-105 straight into the amps if that would be even better than Classé or Bryston and save $10K :)  

 

Direct path :)

wse is offline  
post #274 of 1676 Old 03-12-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hifiaudio2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,711
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 75
The home theater magazine review said the bryston clipped above white and below black video. Has a firmware up update fixed that issue? Or can that even be fixed?
hifiaudio2 is offline  
post #275 of 1676 Old 03-12-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
moonhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: La Madera, New Mexico
Posts: 3,238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

The home theater magazine review said the bryston clipped above white and below black video. Has a firmware up update fixed that issue? Or can that even be fixed?

I don't run video through the SP3 but I read that that issue was fixed very early on....

______________________

__________

Dave

moonhawk is offline  
post #276 of 1676 Old 03-12-2013, 08:50 PM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 7,050
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 376

OK quick question

 

If I were to trade Classé for Bryston because it sounds so good

 

What do you think of this and what is the cost:

 

 

(One) SP3 Surround Processor / Preamplifier

 

(Three) 7BSST² Single-Channel (Mono) Amplifier

 

(Two) 14BSST² Dual-Channel (Stereo) Amplifier

wse is offline  
post #277 of 1676 Old 03-13-2013, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jima4a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 1,563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 70
While I believe the SP3 is the best sounding prepro, I am not certain the 7Bs would be better than the CA-M600 Classe' amp. Are you looking to keep the same brand going?

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
jima4a is offline  
post #278 of 1676 Old 03-13-2013, 06:06 AM
Member
 
scott brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NYC area
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

According to James Tanner, on the Audio Aficionado SP3 thread, the SP3 can set up all inputs globally, or each individual input separately.

However, I am unable to figure out that capability on my own machine. Can any of you guys find that option in the menu?


Source setup -> Other -> SRC PARAM:

options are globally or individually
scott brown is offline  
post #279 of 1676 Old 03-13-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Greg Kaurkus "Night Shift" is one of my Fav's wink.gif

You've got good taste in music.
gbaby is offline  
post #280 of 1676 Old 03-13-2013, 07:57 AM
Newbie
 
Boldlygo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now that I've had the Bryston for a few days, I'd like to know what everyone's feeling is about leaving it powered up all the time? Do you shut it down when not in use?
Boldlygo is offline  
post #281 of 1676 Old 03-13-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott brown View Post

Source setup -> Other -> SRC PARAM:

options are globally or individually

Great info. If I had taken the time to read the manual, mabybe I could have saved time in my own setup. By the way, everytime I try to display a smiley or other icon on this site, it not only messes up the end of the sentence, but it does not display right. Can anyone tell me whats goin:eek:g on? This is just an example.
gbaby is offline  
post #282 of 1676 Old 03-13-2013, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldlygo View Post

Now that I've had the Bryston for a few days, I'd like to know what everyone's feeling is about leaving it powered up all the time? Do you shut it down when not in use?

Shut it down and save the electricity.
gbaby is offline  
post #283 of 1676 Old 03-13-2013, 08:09 AM
Member
 
scott brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NYC area
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I swapped my SSP-800 for the SP3 last night. Liking what I hear so far
scott brown is offline  
post #284 of 1676 Old 03-13-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
moonhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: La Madera, New Mexico
Posts: 3,238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott brown View Post

Source setup -> Other -> SRC PARAM:

options are globally or individually

Thanks--looked and looked--Don't know why I couldn't find that. eek.gif

______________________

__________

Dave

moonhawk is offline  
post #285 of 1676 Old 03-13-2013, 08:22 AM
Member
 
scott brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NYC area
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I found it on another Bryston board. I didn't see it, either
scott brown is offline  
post #286 of 1676 Old 03-13-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
moonhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: La Madera, New Mexico
Posts: 3,238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

Great info. If I had taken the time to read the manual, mabybe I could have saved time in my own setup. By the way, everytime I try to display a smiley or other icon on this site, it not only messes up the end of the sentence, but it does not display right. Can anyone tell me whats goin:eek:g on? This is just an example.

Put some:eek:spaces around it. cool.gif

______________________

__________

Dave

moonhawk is offline  
post #287 of 1676 Old 03-13-2013, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

While I believe the SP3 is the best sounding prepro, I am not certain the 7Bs would be better than the CA-M600 Classe' amp. Are you looking to keep the same brand going?

I agree with you. I would not sell a perfectly working amp just to buy the same brand amp to match an SP3. In fact, although I purchased the SP3, I kept both my First Watt Aleph J and my Krell KAV-500.
gbaby is offline  
post #288 of 1676 Old 03-13-2013, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott brown View Post

I swapped my SSP-800 for the SP3 last night. Liking what I hear so far

You did? cool.gif Let us hear more.
gbaby is offline  
post #289 of 1676 Old 03-13-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

Put some:eek:spaces around it. cool.gif

Wow Dave! It worked. cool.gif Thanks.
gbaby is offline  
post #290 of 1676 Old 03-13-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
moonhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: La Madera, New Mexico
Posts: 3,238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

Wow Dave! It worked. cool.gif Thanks.

You are welcome, Sir!.... biggrin.gif

______________________

__________

Dave

moonhawk is offline  
post #291 of 1676 Old 03-13-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
moonhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: La Madera, New Mexico
Posts: 3,238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

I agree with you. I would not sell a perfectly working amp just to buy the same brand amp to match an SP3. In fact, although I purchased the SP3, I kept both my First Watt Aleph J and my Krell KAV-500.

I know...

While I'd love to try out a Bryston amp or two, I really don't have any complaints with my Parasound Halo A51.

I'll probably spend the rest of the money I don't have on a new television instead--in time for the NFL season. rolleyes.gif

______________________

__________

Dave

moonhawk is offline  
post #292 of 1676 Old 03-13-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 9,022
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

While I believe the SP3 is the best sounding prepro, I am not certain the 7Bs would be better than the CA-M600 Classe' amp. Are you looking to keep the same brand going?
My 7Bs, driven by vintage Classe amps, sound even better with a wee bit of help from the PEQ in the SSP-800. It also helps integrate the center/surrounds with the L/R so the whole thing is seamless. That's why I think the SP-3 took the concept of purity one step too far. If a user does not want EQ in the chain, turning it off is identical to not having any at all. But at least one has the option...

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
Roger Dressler is online now  
post #293 of 1676 Old 03-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Member
 
scott brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NYC area
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

My 7Bs, driven by vintage Classe amps, sound even better with a wee bit of help from the PEQ in the SSP-800. It also helps integrate the center/surrounds with the L/R so the whole thing is seamless. That's why I think the SP-3 took the concept of purity one step too far. If a user does not want EQ in the chain, turning it off is identical to not having any at all. But at least one has the option...

I believe you're talking about the Aerial Acoustic 7B speakers, while they were referring to the Bryston 7BSST2 amplifiers
scott brown is offline  
post #294 of 1676 Old 03-13-2013, 12:14 PM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 7,050
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View PostMy 7Bs, driven by vintage Classe amps, sound even better with a wee bit of help from the PEQ in the SSP-800. It also helps integrate the center/surrounds with the L/R so the whole thing is seamless. That's why I think the SP-3 took the concept of purity one step too far. If a user does not want EQ in the chain, turning it off is identical to not having any at all. But at least one has the option...

Did you try the SP3 and did you like it?

 

How did it compare to the SSP-800 in your opinion of course :)

 

Agreed about the EQ I turned it off didn't like it was robing the Diamonds

wse is offline  
post #295 of 1676 Old 03-14-2013, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Tony and Dave, thanks to the assistance of Kal Rubinson, I have my SMS-1 up and running. While I need to continue to experiment, the immediate improvements I hear in the bass frequencies is that the bass now sounds more delineated and extended. Its really quite amazing to hear the difference which can be easily compared by switching in and out the SMS-1. I'm impressed as it seems the mid bass frequencies benefit from the low frequencies being flatter though by no means flat. Its an improvment none the less. cool.gif
gbaby is offline  
post #296 of 1676 Old 03-14-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
moonhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: La Madera, New Mexico
Posts: 3,238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

Tony and Dave, thanks to the assistance of Kal Rubinson, I have my SMS-1 up and running. While I need to continue to experiment, the immediate improvements I hear in the bass frequencies is that the bass now sounds more delineated and extended. Its really quite amazing to hear the difference which can be easily compared by switching in and out the SMS-1. I'm impressed as it seems the mid bass frequencies benefit from the low frequencies being flatter though by no means flat. Its an improvment none the less. cool.gif

Good to hear--I sure like what my anti-mode does.

______________________

__________

Dave

moonhawk is offline  
post #297 of 1676 Old 03-14-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
adidino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

Tony and Dave, thanks to the assistance of Kal Rubinson, I have my SMS-1 up and running. While I need to continue to experiment, the immediate improvements I hear in the bass frequencies is that the bass now sounds more delineated and extended. Its really quite amazing to hear the difference which can be easily compared by switching in and out the SMS-1. I'm impressed as it seems the mid bass frequencies benefit from the low frequencies being flatter though by no means flat. Its an improvment none the less. cool.gif

Glad to see that you are hearing the benefits of EQ. smile.gif

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com
adidino is offline  
post #298 of 1676 Old 03-14-2013, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 9,022
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott brown View Post

I believe you're talking about the Aerial Acoustic 7B speakers, while they were referring to the Bryston 7BSST2 amplifiers
D'oh! Sorry.

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
Roger Dressler is online now  
post #299 of 1676 Old 03-15-2013, 05:50 AM
Member
 
scott brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NYC area
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you, Tony, for the SP3 smile.gif
scott brown is offline  
post #300 of 1676 Old 03-15-2013, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
adidino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott brown View Post

Thank you, Tony, for the SP3 smile.gif

No problem Scott smile.gif

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com
adidino is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Arcam

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off