post #361 of 1699 Old 03-26-2013, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

While I own a Krell amp, I have never heard a Krell Processor that did not sound forward, harsh and shrill in the mid and high frequencies.

I actually picked up a Krell S-1500 multi-channel amp a few months ago and I couldn't be happier. I previously had a Cary 7.250, and while it had some good characteristics, I found the sound to be uneven and sometimes too bright. The Krell is not at all forward, harsh or shrill in the mid and high frequencies - it's actually just the opposite. Now I know we're talking about processors, but it's because of the amp that I just bought a Krell S-1200u 3D processor. I should get it this week and have it setup this weekend. I could have bought the SP3 for the same price I paid for the Krell (I got a great deal), but I stuck with Krell so that I could see if there's synergy with all Krell. I don't like thin, harsh, or shrill, so I'm hoping the S-1200 will have sound characteristics like the amplifier. I currently have a TUC (The Upgrade Company) SE Onkyo PR-SC5508 that has beat all comers so far, including a Marantz AV8003, Marantz AV7005, and an Arcam AV888. Personally, one of my favorite processors was the AV8/AV9 (before lossless), using a coax digital connection from an Arcam DVD player. I used an AV8 for a while, using analog outputs from a blu ray player. I must say that I've always been an Arcam fan (I still have the BDP300 blu ray player), and I was really surprised when my SE Onkyo 5508 beat my AV888. Since then, I've been tempted to try the Marantz AV8801, but thought I'd jump up to the next level and try a Bryston, Classe, or Krell. I'll definitely report back, once I've had the S-1200 in my system for a while...

Dave

FOR SALE: Wireworld Platinum 6 1M HDMI Cable. Originally $1000, selling for $500 obo. Please PM me, if interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1699 Old 03-26-2013, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Krell is known in the industry as making some of the best amps money can buy. They were known to provide tight and powerful bass. This is one of the reasons I purchased the Krell KAV-500. I use it with the SP3 to power the center and rear channels. I use a hand built amp from Nelson Pass for mains. However, when I had a 5.1 system, I used only the Krell. It is so powerful, I cannot use the 6db gain switch for balanced connection because it over powers my 2 channel amp. I like the way you describe your different processors. I owned the Arcam AV9 prior to the SP3, and I still feel the AV9 is great through its analog outs with units like a Sony XA-5400ES or Sony BCD-S5000ES. I had never heard of the TUC company before so this is great info. Please let us know how the S1200 sounds with the S1500 my daughter amp. smile.gif I for one would love to read a shoot out for all the processors in the price range of the Krell, Bryston, Classe, etc. +/- 3 or 4k. Anyway, good post. :cool
post #363 of 1699 Old 03-26-2013, 09:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:

I had never heard of the TUC company before so this is great info.

You should do more investigation.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #364 of 1699 Old 03-26-2013, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

David Schulte, from The Upgrade Company, has a questionable reputation in the eyes of some folks, because of posts he's had in forums in years past. There's obviously been a couple of customers that have not had a good experience with David.

I have to admit, it kept me away for quite a while. However, three years ago, I took the plunge and had my Pioneer BDP-05FD upgraded. I was happy with the improvement, for the price. After a second round of upgrades at a later point in time, the Pioneer was able to play video, but no audio (or was it the reverse?) Anyway, after talking to David, he thought it got damaged during the shipping to my house. He had me send it back and sent me a new one with the SE upgrade. He was frustrated with the shipping company, but treated me very well and didn't charge me one penny for the new unit.

That experience gave me a little more confidence, so I bought an SE Marantz AV8003. I then later bought the SE Onkyo PR-SC5508. After about a year, the HDMI board died, which I found out was not unusual for this processor. I sent it in to an Onkyo repair facility, and they replaced it with a new hdmi board. I asked them about the upgrade and does it void the warranty, and they mentioned that it did not void the warranty, so the repair was done free of charge. I then sent it to David, and he did the SE portion of the upgrade on the new HDMI board for nearly nothing. Again, I was impressed.

Dave has treated me with courtesy and respect every time I've been on the phone with him. He now tries to avoid the forums, and he's getting reviews from dagogo and from positive feedback. Chip Stern has interviewed him recently (look in the archives on positive-feedback dot com) and reviewed an SE upgraded Oppo 95.

Anyway, my experience has been great. Sorry about the tangent here, I just wanted to share my thoughts on this. Back to the Bryston SP3 smile.gif

Dave

FOR SALE: Wireworld Platinum 6 1M HDMI Cable. Originally $1000, selling for $500 obo. Please PM me, if interested.
post #365 of 1699 Old 03-26-2013, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:

However, when I had a 5.1 system, I used only the Krell. It is so powerful, I cannot use the 6db gain switch for balanced connection because it over powers my 2 channel amp.
Do not confuse gain with power. They are not related.

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #366 of 1699 Old 03-27-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Once I saw Thezaks initial post, I googled them (TUC). However, I'll admit that prior to that post, I never heard of them.
post #367 of 1699 Old 03-27-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Once I saw Thezaks initial post, I googled them (TUC). However, I'll admit that prior to that post, I never heard of them.

I meant investigation on the forums (here and elsewhere) in order to see the diversity of 3rd party opinions and experiences.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #368 of 1699 Old 03-27-2013, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I meant investigation on the forums (here and elsewhere) in order to see the diversity of 3rd party opinions and experiences.

When I googled TUC, it brought me back to this forum. I was a little indifferent about what I read primarily because I never was interested in modification by after market companies. I was tempted to get my XA-5400ES modified by Modwright, but changed my mind.
post #369 of 1699 Old 03-27-2013, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Do not confuse gain with power. They are not related.

Well, my main speakers play about 96db @ 1 meter with a 1 watt input so I use an Aleph J 2 channel amp to power them. the Aleph J puts out roughly 25 watts per channel, but the power decreases as the ohm load drops. My Krell KAV-500 puts out 100 watts per channel running all five channels and the speakers are roughly the same sensitivity (efficiency) as the mains. However, using balanced inputs my Krell has a 6db gain. There is a switch on it for 0 or 6db gain. I had to leave the switch to 0 to keep the volume of the mains speakers equal to that of the center and rears. I thought gain was the ability of a circuit to produce power, but its a litlle ambiguous or confusing to me, but in any event, I hope you understand the point I was making.
post #370 of 1699 Old 03-27-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, my main speakers play about 96db @ 1 meter with a 1 watt input so I use an Aleph J 2 channel amp to power them. the Aleph J puts out roughly 25 watts per channel, but the power decreases as the ohm load drops. My Krell KAV-500 puts out 100 watts per channel running all five channels and the speakers are roughly the same sensitivity (efficiency) as the mains. However, using balanced inputs my Krell has a 6db gain. There is a switch on it for 0 or 6db gain. I had to leave the switch to 0 to keep the volume of the mains speakers equal to that of the center and rears. I thought gain was the ability of a circuit to produce power, but its a little ambiguous or confusing to me, but in any event, I hope you understand the point I was making.
Yes, I understood perfectly. Just thought you'd like to know. wink.gif

Deadwood Atmos theater
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #371 of 1699 Old 03-27-2013, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I understood perfectly. Just thought you'd like to know. wink.gif

Thanks. I am still a little unclear on the differences between gain and power so feel free to provide any explanation as I never shun knowledge.
post #372 of 1699 Old 03-27-2013, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Krell is known in the industry as making some of the best amps money can buy. They were known to provide tight and powerful bass. This is one of the reasons I purchased the Krell KAV-500. I use it with the SP3 to power the center and rear channels. I use a hand built amp from Nelson Pass for mains. However, when I had a 5.1 system, I used only the Krell. It is so powerful, I cannot use the 6db gain switch for balanced connection because it over powers my 2 channel amp. I like the way you describe your different processors. I owned the Arcam AV9 prior to the SP3, and I still feel the AV9 is great through its analog outs with units like a Sony XA-5400ES or Sony BCD-S5000ES. I had never heard of the TUC company before so this is great info. Please let us know how the S1200 sounds with the S1500 my daughter amp. smile.gif I for one would love to read a shoot out for all the processors in the price range of the Krell, Bryston, Classe, etc. +/- 3 or 4k. Anyway, good post. :cool

I've seen you post in different threads about your AV9 in the past, and I could really relate, because I really liked my AV8. You passed on many processors, so when I saw that you had gotten the SP3 and liked it, you nearly convinced me to get one. Based upon your taste in sound, I'm betting that the SP3 is something very special. Had it not been for my experience with the Krell S-1500 amplifier, I would have probably bought an SP3, instead of the Krell S1200. By the way, for movies, are you using hdmi for audio or are you still using the analog outs? (sorry if you mentioned it before and I missed it).

I agree about the shootout for the processors you mentioned - that would be very cool indeed!

Dave

post #373 of 1699 Old 03-27-2013, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post

I've seen you post in different threads about your AV9 in the past, and I could really relate, because I really liked my AV8. You passed on many processors, so when I saw that you had gotten the SP3 and liked it, you nearly convinced me to get one. Based upon your taste in sound, I'm betting that the SP3 is something very special. Had it not been for my experience with the Krell S-1500 amplifier, I would have probably bought an SP3, instead of the Krell S1200. By the way, for movies, are you using hdmi for audio or are you still using the analog outs? (sorry if you mentioned it before and I missed it).

I agree about the shootout for the processors you mentioned - that would be very cool indeed!

Dave

I still have my AV9 and I intend to keep it because its analog outs are great and I like the way it plays the new audio codecs from the analog out of my Sony BDP-S5000ES as well as SACD through the Sony XA-5400ES. Always experimenting, I tried to improve the sound even further so when I read the review on the Oppo BDP-95, I purchased it and I did not like its sonic traits at all preferring the sonic traits of both Sony ES over the Oppo. I was trying to make myself like the Oppo and I thought something was wrong with my hearing because everyone, even Kal Rubinson, thought the Oppo was better at least over the Sony XA-5400ES. But good sound being somewhat subjective, I decided to go with my own ears, and felt the ES did a better job playing mid to high frequencies so I sent it back. But, the AV9 had only one set of 7.1/5.1 analog outs and I wanted 5.1 SACD because I have about 250 of them that I purchased over the years with many being out of print. So after reading both reviews in Stereophile on the SP3, I went to an audio store in Raleigh to audition it but was told they would not be stocking it because they were pushing the Classe and he commence to try to sell me it as opposed to ordering the Bryston although he was a Bryston dealer. The saleman had not read the Stereophile review on the SP3 so I was well ahead of him on information. Kal owns the Classe (AV800 I think), but when he opined that the SP3 was sonically better than the Classse and refered to the SP3 as the first great processor, I had to hear it. So I waited until my next trip to Philadelphia and went to Hi Fi House in Jenkinstown, PA, I was allowed to audition the SP3 using my own music (it was a Gregg Karukas CD), I was simply blown away with what I heard and the sound put a hugh grin on my face. The gratification was immediate; similar to my AV9 Sony ES setup but even more revealing and so pristine I felt all layers between me and the recording studio had been removed. On movies, I am using HDMI exclusively. I am so satisfied, that I have not even thought of connecting the analog outs of the S5000ES to compare. And while I have the XA-5400ES connected to the balanced inputs of the SP3, the SP3 is more revealing using HDMI or its D/A converter than the Sony XA-5400ES. On the Krell, I only have 100 watts per channel times 5 but I get 125 watts per channel using two. From your model number, you ought to be pushing around 300 watts per channel. I never even considered a Krell processor only because of the sound traits I expressed earlier. However, I never considered the fact that the sonic trait could be improved with software upgrade or that the speakers I was listening to with the S1200 may not compliment the procesor and amp. I am not bias to Bryston products because when I was purchasing a 2 channel amp, I chose the First Watt Aleph J over a Bryston 2B-SST. But, I am biased about the SP3 because its the first time I fell like my audio system is complete and I haven't touched the surface of my collection. Even regular DVD concerts sound stellar with some rivaling the sound of True Dolby HD and DTS-MA. I'm not buying into room correction technolgy feeling room treatment is less intrusive to changing the source. But, thats just my take; others my feel different. But, the iceing on the cake was a comment I read about the SP3 saying you could not buy a better sounding processor at any price and I was thinking about the 27k Krell Evolution. So, if I can get a processor for 1/3 of the price of an Evolution, I felt the Bryston was a smart money purchase. I also like the idea that the SP3 was modular in design for future upgrade. I would never buy another Arcam processor because I purchased it right before sound over HDMI (AV888) came out and the dealer assured me the AV9 can be upgraded. The AV9 has been relegated to the bedroom, but I have not connected it yet because I am using a TA-P9000ES with two 5.1 bypass connections and one stereo bypass. It was a Class A+ Stereophile product, that I am debating selling. I don't know. On the SP3, I have had more processors than any other equipment, I now i believe the pre-amp may be the most important link and not the speakers.
post #374 of 1699 Old 03-27-2013, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. I am still a little unclear on the differences between gain and power so feel free to provide any explanation as I never shun knowledge.
The gain of a power amplifier is simply the ratio of the (output voltage)/(input voltage). Just as you can see from the Krell, a 6 dB (2x gain) switch may make the output louder, but it does not change how much power the amp can deliver to the load. That is determined by the power supply voltage and current capacity, plus the output stage to a limited degree.

Changing the gain of a power amp is a simple as changing a resistor in the feedback path. Getting more power, not so easy!

So even though the world has a defacto standard for amp gain being 29 dB, there are several that choose to be slightly different. The gain trims in an AV processor usually span +/-12 dB, which is more than enough for that variable plus the different sensitivities of speakers in real rooms.

Deadwood Atmos theater
post #375 of 1699 Old 03-27-2013, 08:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I still have my AV9 and I intend to keep it because its analog outs are great and I like the way it plays the new audio codecs from the analog out of my Sony BDP-S5000ES as well as SACD through the Sony XA-5400ES. Always experimenting, I tried to improve the sound even further so when I read the review on the Oppo BDP-95, I purchased it and I did not like its sonic traits at all preferring the sonic traits of both Sony ES over the Oppo. I was trying to make myself like the Oppo and I thought something was wrong with my hearing because everyone, even Kal Rubinson, thought the Oppo was better at least over the Sony XA-5400ES. But good sound being somewhat subjective, I decided to go with my own ears, and felt the ES did a better job playing mid to high frequencies so I sent it back. But, the AV9 had only one set of 7.1/5.1 analog outs and I wanted 5.1 SACD because I have about 250 of them that I purchased over the years with many being out of print. So after reading both reviews in Stereophile on the SP3, I went to an audio store in Raleigh to audition it but was told they would not be stocking it because they were pushing the Classe and he commence to try to sell me it as opposed to ordering the Bryston although he was a Bryston dealer. The saleman had not read the Stereophile review on the SP3 so I was well ahead of him on information. Kal owns the Classe (AV800 I think), but when he opined that the SP3 was sonically better than the Classse and refered to the SP3 as the first great processor, I had to hear it. So I waited until my next trip to Philadelphia and went to Hi Fi House in Jenkinstown, PA, I was allowed to audition the SP3 using my own music (it was a Gregg Karukas CD), I was simply blown away with what I heard and the sound put a hugh grin on my face. The gratification was immediate; similar to my AV9 Sony ES setup but even more revealing and so pristine I felt all layers between me and the recording studio had been removed. On movies, I am using HDMI exclusively. I am so satisfied, that I have not even thought of connecting the analog outs of the S5000ES to compare. And while I have the XA-5400ES connected to the balanced inputs of the SP3, the SP3 is more revealing using HDMI or its D/A converter than the Sony XA-5400ES. On the Krell, I only have 100 watts per channel times 5 but I get 125 watts per channel using two. From your model number, you ought to be pushing around 300 watts per channel. I never even considered a Krell processor only because of the sound traits I expressed earlier. However, I never considered the fact that the sonic trait could be improved with software upgrade or that the speakers I was listening to with the S1200 may not compliment the procesor and amp. I am not bias to Bryston products because when I was purchasing a 2 channel amp, I chose the First Watt Aleph J over a Bryston 2B-SST. But, I am biased about the SP3 because its the first time I fell like my audio system is complete and I haven't touched the surface of my collection. Even regular DVD concerts sound stellar with some rivaling the sound of True Dolby HD and DTS-MA. I'm not buying into room correction technolgy feeling room treatment is less intrusive to changing the source. But, thats just my take; others my feel different. But, the iceing on the cake was a comment I read about the SP3 saying you could not buy a better sounding processor at any price and I was thinking about the 27k Krell Evolution. So, if I can get a processor for 1/3 of the price of an Evolution, I felt the Bryston was a smart money purchase. I also like the idea that the SP3 was modular in design for future upgrade. I would never buy another Arcam processor because I purchased it right before sound over HDMI (AV888) came out and the dealer assured me the AV9 can be upgraded. The AV9 has been relegated to the bedroom, but I have not connected it yet because I am using a TA-P9000ES with two 5.1 bypass connections and one stereo bypass. It was a Class A+ Stereophile product, that I am debating selling. I don't know. On the SP3, I have had more processors than any other equipment, I now i believe the pre-amp may be the most important link and not the speakers.

Wow.  Do you talk like this?  I, for one, would appreciate some paragraphing to assist my aging eyes.  FWIW, I do not have/own the Classe or the Bryston.  Still hanging on to the Meridian 861 (and the Sony TA-P9000ES, too).

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #376 of 1699 Old 03-28-2013, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
That looks to me like a program generated output, not human.
Probably something like a humanoid answering machine...
post #377 of 1699 Old 03-28-2013, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Wow.  Do you talk like this?  I, for one, would appreciate some paragraphing to assist my aging eyes.  FWIW, I do not have/own the Classe or the Bryston.  Still hanging on to the Meridian 861 (and the Sony TA-P9000ES, too).

smile.gif +1

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #378 of 1699 Old 03-28-2013, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The gain of a power amplifier is simply the ratio of the (output voltage)/(input voltage). Just as you can see from the Krell, a 6 dB (2x gain) switch may make the output louder, but it does not change how much power the amp can deliver to the load. That is determined by the power supply voltage and current capacity, plus the output stage to a limited degree.

Changing the gain of a power amp is a simple as changing a resistor in the feedback path. Getting more power, not so easy!

So even though the world has a defacto standard for amp gain being 29 dB, there are several that choose to be slightly different. The gain trims in an AV processor usually span +/-12 dB, which is more than enough for that variable plus the different sensitivities of speakers in real rooms.

Thanks for the explanation. I'll have to study this for a minute but once I get it, its permanently etched in my brains.
post #379 of 1699 Old 03-28-2013, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yikes, I see what you mean. Its killing my eyes, too.
post #380 of 1699 Old 03-28-2013, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I still have my AV9 and I intend to keep it because its analog outs are great and I like the way it plays the new audio codecs from the analog out of my Sony BDP-S5000ES as well as SACD through the Sony XA-5400ES. Always experimenting, I tried to improve the sound even further so when I read the review on the Oppo BDP-95, I purchased it and I did not like its sonic traits at all preferring the sonic traits of both Sony ES over the Oppo. I was trying to make myself like the Oppo and I thought something was wrong with my hearing because everyone, even Kal Rubinson, thought the Oppo was better at least over the Sony XA-5400ES. But good sound being somewhat subjective, I decided to go with my own ears, and felt the ES did a better job playing mid to high frequencies so I sent it back.

But, the AV9 had only one set of 7.1/5.1 analog outs and I wanted 5.1 SACD because I have about 250 of them that I purchased over the years with many being out of print. So after reading both reviews in Stereophile on the SP3, I went to an audio store in Raleigh to audition it but was told they would not be stocking it because they were pushing the Classe and he commence to try to sell me it as opposed to ordering the Bryston although he was a Bryston dealer. The saleman had not read the Stereophile review on the SP3 so I was well ahead of him on information. Kal owns the Classe (AV800 I think), but when he opined that the SP3 was sonically better than the Classse and refered to the SP3 as the first great processor, I had to hear it. So I waited until my next trip to Philadelphia and went to Hi Fi House in Jenkinstown, PA. I was allowed to audition the SP3 using my own music (it was a Gregg Karukas CD). I was simply blown away with what I heard and the sound put a hugh grin on my face. The gratification was immediate; similar to my AV9 Sony ES setup but even more revealing, and so pristine I felt all layers between me and the recording studio had been removed. On movies, I am using HDMI exclusively. I am so satisfied, that I have not even thought of connecting the analog outs of the S5000ES to compare. And while I have the XA-5400ES connected to the balanced inputs of the SP3, the SP3 is more revealing using HDMI or its D/A converter than the Sony XA-5400ES.

On the Krell, I only have 100 watts per channel times 5 but I get 125 watts per channel using two. From your model number, you ought to be pushing around 300 watts per channel. I never even considered a Krell processor only because of the sound traits I expressed earlier. However, I never considered the fact that the sonic trait could be improved with software upgrade or that the speakers I was listening to with the S1200 may not compliment the procesor and amp. I am not bias to Bryston products because when I was purchasing a 2 channel amp, I chose the First Watt Aleph J over a Bryston 2B-SST. But, I am biased about the SP3 because its the first time I fell like my audio system is complete and I haven't touched the surface of my collection. Even regular DVD concerts sound stellar with some rivaling the sound of True Dolby HD and DTS-MA. I'm not buying into room correction technolgy feeling room treatment is less intrusive to changing the source. But, thats just my take; others my feel different. But, the iceing on the cake was a comment I read about the SP3 saying you could not buy a better sounding processor at any price and I was thinking about the 27k Krell Evolution. So, if I can get a processor for 1/3 of the price of an Evolution, I felt the Bryston was a smart money purchase. I also like the idea that the SP3 was modular in design for future upgrade. I would never buy another Arcam processor because I purchased it right before sound over HDMI (AV888) came out and the dealer assured me the AV9 can be upgraded. The AV9 has been relegated to the bedroom, but I have not connected it yet because I am using a TA-P9000ES with two 5.1 bypass connections and one stereo bypass. It was a Class A+ Stereophile product, that I am debating selling. I don't know. On the SP3, I have had more processors than any other equipment, I now i believe the pre-amp may be the most important link and not the speakers.

Is this slightly better? I already know I need to keep my day job.
post #381 of 1699 Old 03-28-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Gbaby... Gbaby.. Gbaby.. smile.gif

Almost there..

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com
post #382 of 1699 Old 03-28-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Gbaby... Gbaby.. Gbaby.. smile.gif

Almost there..

Alright! Let us know when you get it back and make sure you check out your serial number on the face of the box before you open it.
post #383 of 1699 Old 03-30-2013, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Greetings, SP3 fans:

I'm hoping to avail myself of the wealth of your expertise and experience.

My SP3 should arrive quite soon, and I'd very much appreciate your tips as to setup and configuration. I've reviewed the manual, but it doesn't offer much detail.

I have my tape measure, handy Radio Shack analog sound level meter, and Genelec speaker angle iPhone app at the ready, and I've polished my ears. My equipment is listed below. My listening chair is broken in.

On a 1-100 scale of expertise in this area, I feel like a 0.95, so I'd appreciate all advice, no matter how basic.

Thanks very much, and best fishes,

RJ

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

Eschew obfuscation.
post #384 of 1699 Old 03-30-2013, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoThere View Post

Greetings, SP3 fans:

My SP3 should arrive quite soon, and I'd very much appreciate your tips as to setup and configuration. I've reviewed the manual, but it doesn't offer much detail.

I have my tape measure, handy Radio Shack analog sound level meter, and Genelec speaker angle iPhone app at the ready, and I've polished my ears. My equipment is listed below. My listening chair is broken in.

On a 1-100 scale of expertise in this area, I feel like a 0.95, so I'd appreciate all advice, no matter how basic.

RJ

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

Hey Rich...

You following me around? biggrin.gifcool.gif

Dave

post #385 of 1699 Old 03-31-2013, 09:03 AM

I'm your groupie. cool.gif

Eschew obfuscation.
post #386 of 1699 Old 03-31-2013, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Greetings, SP3 fans:

RJ

RJ, excuse my language but you've got some nice sh t!
post #387 of 1699 Old 03-31-2013, 03:51 PM

Gbaby . . . Gbaby . . . Gbaby . . . it's just fun to say it. smile.gif

Thanks for the kind post. I appreciate your compliment and my components, but for me they are a means to the end of listening through the gear to the dynamics of the performance. There's an interesting thread on the AudioCircle Bryston forum discussing the proposition The audio gear is not the hobby... and exploring the question of whether audiophilia is a focus (or obsession) with equipment or a focus on recreating music.

As this is the SP3 thread, the self-selection of contributors would likely reflect their commitment to quality gear. Lots of folks participating, including you, have invested in excellent audio equipment. What I appreciate about the participants here is that they have chosen to allocate their resources to revealing the performances they enjoy, whether music or film. This group is informed, helpful, and positive. While some with substantial means can just buy gear, most of us have to prioritize. My neighbor has a beautiful Acura and a thirty-year-old (horrible sounding) mass-market audio system. I drive a Honda and have what I regard as a fine audio system. We're both happy.

Anyway, I'd greatly appreciate your experiences and advice as regards setting up my SP3.

Thanks again,

RJ

Eschew obfuscation.
post #388 of 1699 Old 04-01-2013, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gbaby . . . Gbaby . . . Gbaby . . . it's just fun to say it. smile.gif

RJ

It dosen't bother me one bit for you and Tony to say it. I stole the handle, gbaby, from a man I went to college with in the early '70s who was in a rival fraternity. He was from New Jersey, and his nick name was gbaby. I always like his name as it sounded "cool" to me. Our frats were friendly rivals and gbaby and I are friends to this day. On campus, every time I saw him I greeted him with gbaby, gbaby, gbaby. So its ironic you and Tony would say this. Perhaps we have so much in common that we have similar taste in sound which is why we all own SP3s.
post #389 of 1699 Old 04-01-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
The beauty of the SP3 to me is its no-frills simplicity, Bryston's commitment to quality and customer service, and of course it's pristine sound.

Dave

post #390 of 1699 Old 04-01-2013, 09:13 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 377
No pre pro will be even better. Oppo BDP-105 smile.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Arcam