Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #541 of 1438 Old 05-10-2013, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Wake up SP3 owners! biggrin.gif Can I assume that the lack of activity on this thread is due to the owners being too busy listening without the need for too much tweeking? wink.gifsmile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1438 Old 05-10-2013, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am anxiously awaiting delivery of my SP-3 on Tuesday. I am starting to feel sick so I may not make it to work on Wednesday..cough...cough...

David M.
post #543 of 1438 Old 05-10-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post

I am anxiously awaiting delivery of my SP-3 on Tuesday. I am starting to feel sick so I may not make it to work on Wednesday..cough...cough...

You got to come up with a better excuse than that as its too warm to have a cold.smile.gifwink.gif In any event, you are in a thrill. Like I've posted before, even low bit MP3 sounds great on the SP3. As a matter of fact, I don't listen to CDs or SACDs any longer as I find music from Amazon's iCloud through my Ipad3 and Apple TV sounds excellent particularlly 2.0 upconverted to 7.1. Now it sounds even better because last night I changed routers due to having to reboot mine at least twice a day. My old router was purchased in 2010. The new updated one apparently allows bigger files at a higher bit rate because I got approximately a 50% sound improvement in both the mid range and higher frequencies resulting in even greater imaging and separation. Its so easy playing and selecting music. Turntables, CD players, and other playback mediums will become obsolete soon.
post #544 of 1438 Old 05-10-2013, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the wake-up call, gbaby, and for starting this useful and interesting thread. I've been reading the thread but have been absorbed by a front yard makeover. As it seems for all such projects, things take twice as long and cost twice as much as anticipated. No worries, though; we're very happy with the landscape crew and things are proceeding. I'm hoping for completion in two weeks.

I haven't had much chance to play with our new SP3, BDP-2, BDA-2, and Oppo 105, though I did get to install a 500gb Samsung SSD in the BDP. One of my projects this weekend is to calibrate the Bryston SP3. I haven't had a chance to set speaker distances, levels, and angles (there's an iPhone app from Genelec for this that I'm looking forward to trying). It will give me a chance to use my ancient Radio Shack analog sound level meter. I also want to play with some niggling issues with the SP3; for example, there was popping each time a new screen would appear when a Blu-ray or DVD would load. I changed the HDMI cable from the Oppo's output 1 (recommended for video) to output 2 (recommended for audio), so it will be interesting to determine if the popping has stopped. I've run the Oppo's output 1 directly to our Pioneer TV and have not noticed any lip sync issues so far. Whew.

I also need to EQ and set levels for our Velodyne DD15 subs. The system sounds about 70% of where it should, and still it sounds great. I'm especially impressed by the smooth, accurate, and engaging sound of the BDP-2/BDA-2 combo through the SP3's Balanced 2 input. With two channel hi-res files, run only through our Paradigm Reference Signature S8s, the sound is glorious. I'd never heard such clarity and power from these speakers. I want to play with the sub settings on the SP3 to add the Velos to the two-channel mix, as the Paradigms claim a tight ± 2db window from 40Hz to 20kHz. Since my Velodyne DD15 subs go from 15Hz to 120Hz ± 3db, I'd like to start playing with the crossover settings from about 50-60Hz. The time/distance settings for two subs will be the challenge.

Cheerio, SP3 fans, and happy listening,

RJ

Eschew obfuscation.
post #545 of 1438 Old 05-10-2013, 06:01 PM

Deja hi, Brystonphiles:

Here are a few rough photos of our latest gear: an SP3, BDP-2, BDA-2 (all with blue lights/displays), and Oppo BDP-105 (along with lots of Bryston XLR cables and an AES/EBU cable between the BDP and BDA). We ran CAT6 from the apt gear to an eight-port Cisco enterprise switch hidden in a utility box behind the Paradigm Reference Signature ADP surround speaker mounted on the cabinet (alas, our room has one open wall, so this was the only viable place to mount a surround speaker); the cable goes through the attic to a network port in my office, then to a five-port Cisco enterprise switch, and to our Airport Extreme. This gigabit connection should be suitable for streaming. Thanks to the illustrious Chris Rice, BDP-2 software engineer, we have a 500gb Samsung SSD purring along happily in the BDP-2.

FWIW, the cherry cabinet is getting ready to be buttoned up. There are smoked glass doors that cover the equipment area. Right now, there are discs and manuals cluttering things up while I'm setting up the gear. We're in the middle of a front yard makeover, so dust finds its way everywhere, despite polishing things every few days.

Here's the tour, from top to bottom:
1. Top shelf: 200 pound full-entension sliders holding a beefy 6BSST(C); the sliding shelf is handy when making connections and dusting/cleaning gear.
2. Next shelf down: same sliders holding a not-so-beefy, but still quite hefty 4BSST(C).
3. This stationary shelf holds the media controller (tuner and switching/processing) for our Pioneer Elite PRO-1130 TV. It will be good to reclaim the space when we replace the TV.
4. The sliding shelf holds our wonderful SP3 and above it the (ugh!) Comcast DVR (soon to be relocated when I can figure out where).
5. On this sliding shelf rests another substantial 4BSST(C).
6 Below the centerline of the cabinet is a utility drawer for remotes and other goodies.
7. On this stationary shelf, the Oppo BDP-105 holds forth. (We'll reorganize the shelving when the BOT-1 is released.)
8. The incredible BDP-2 sits on this stationary shelf.
9. This stationary shelf holds the smooth-as-silk BDA-2.
10. The very heavy APC S20 battery backup/power conditioner sits on this sliding shelf.

All shelves, save the one with the magnetic catch for the glass doors (under the Pioneer box) are adjustable in small increments. I would have liked to locate the power amps differently but, wouldn't you know it, we didn't have enough cable lengths to do so. I may put Niles speaker plates with five-way binding posts on the back wall, but I hate to break and remake the connections on the speaker cables. What are your thoughts on this?

The top part of the cabinet has three storage compartments with interior shelving and push-to-open doors flanking the gear. The bottom portion holds ten deep drawers (sounds like a nasty movie) that hold Blu-ray and DVD discs; these also have hefty (but not so hefty as those above) full-extension sliders. In the cubby holes (cluttered for now), there are power outlets (there are two 20-amp dedicated circuits for the system), halogen lighting for the cubbies, light switches/dimmers for the room, and a timer for a whisper exhaust fan at the top of the cabinet. You'll notice holes in the middle of the shelves to allow for convection cooling as well. So far, things run quite cool (and did when the doors were on the cabinet).

You'll see a Paradigm Reference Signature S4 rear speaker with a rather sloppy cable running to a wall socket; I just got Niles Audio 5W4D switch plates with four five-way binding posts and will be able to dress the speaker cable through the stand and connect it with banana plugs. FWIW, since I had some long cable runs, I used substantial Ultralink in-wall OFC cables: CL-412 (four 12-gauge strands, which I twisted together to make two strands for LF) and CL-414 (four 14 gauge strands, twisted to a pair for mids and HF); these terminate at the Bryston amps with industrial-strength Ultralink locking banana plugs and pro-spades to make tight biwired connections.

There's lots of work left to do, but this weekend we will finally get to sit and enjoy the system. In the short time we've had with the new gear, we've been delighted with the accuracy, power, and smoothness of the audio. I've never heard better sound from the system. It's been revelatory and engaging, and should sound even better when I have a chance to tweak the SP3's settings and calibrate our speakers and subs.

Best to all, gents, and happy listening,

RJ
The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

Eschew obfuscation.
post #546 of 1438 Old 05-10-2013, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Good show,RJ!

Dave

post #547 of 1438 Old 05-11-2013, 07:49 AM

Is anyone using a URC MX-980 with their SP3? I don't see any codes in their database for either the SP-2 or SP-3. I guess I could just learn all of them but I would like to avoid having to do that.

RJ, nice set up. Thanks for the pics.

David M.
post #548 of 1438 Old 05-11-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoThere View Post

FWIW, the cherry cabinet is getting ready to be buttoned up. There are smoked glass doors that cover the equipment area.
After you add the glass doors, what circulates the air needed for cooling?
post #549 of 1438 Old 05-11-2013, 10:00 AM

Congrats on your SP3, dminches. Tuesday, Tuesday, Tuesday! (I think I can hear your coughing from here. You should take the day off.) You will love the sound of the SP3.

Alas, no codes for the URC (you might try the AudioCircle SP3 thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=50270.0. I was thinking of using Roomie Remote, so my wife could perform basic control of our system through her iPad. But . . . no IP codes for the Bryston gear.

Moonhawk, it's good to hear from you. I appreciate your advice throughout this thread and am looking forward to dialing in my SP3 this weekend.

Happy listening, music fans.

RJ

Eschew obfuscation.
post #550 of 1438 Old 05-11-2013, 10:01 AM

Apt query, Roger. Whisper fans and convection. We've had the cabinet about five years, and no cooling issues so far. Whew.

Best,

RJ

Eschew obfuscation.
post #551 of 1438 Old 05-11-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Apt query, Roger. Whisper fans and convection. We've had the cabinet about five years, and no cooling issues so far. Whew.
Cool! (pun intended...)

I always worry when I see expensive gear in a cabinet with no air flow.
post #552 of 1438 Old 05-11-2013, 02:50 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Cool! (pun intended...)

I always worry when I see expensive gear in a cabinet with no air flow.

Yes me too, that' why I removed the glass doors and cut out the back in my AV cabinet.
post #553 of 1438 Old 05-11-2013, 02:53 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice cabinet the amps are cooking up top,
post #554 of 1438 Old 05-11-2013, 04:28 PM

Thanks for the tip, WSE:

In the five years we've had the cabinet, I've checked, and the amps have never been more than warm to the touch. There's a large whisper fan right above the 6BSST, connected to an exhaust port in the attic. Your caution certainly gets my attention. The APC power conditioner/battery backup has a temperature probe, and when I pulled off the doors and rearranged gear in the cabinet, I neglected to reconnect it. I'll put the probe at the top of the cabinet and track the temps. It will be interesting to see what's cooking (hiss).

Happy listening,

RJ

Eschew obfuscation.
post #555 of 1438 Old 05-11-2013, 09:06 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the tip, WSE: In the five years we've had the cabinet, I've checked, and the amps have never been more than warm to the touch. There's a large whisper fan right above the 6BSST, connected to an exhaust port in the attic. Your caution certainly gets my attention. The APC power conditioner/battery backup has a temperature probe, and when I pulled off the doors and rearranged gear in the cabinet, I neglected to reconnect it. I'll put the probe at the top of the cabinet and track the temps. It will be interesting to see what's cooking (hiss). Happy listening. RJ

Great design is it solid Cherry I love Cherry wood! I like the fan sucking up Hot air!
post #556 of 1438 Old 05-12-2013, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

RJ, you, indeed, have a very nice setup thats attractive and neat. However, I do echo Roger Dressler's concern regarding air circulation. Lack of air circulation caused my old Sony TA-E9000ES to overheat, and become damaged, but fortunately at the time it was under warranty. Mine burnt up and I had fans, too. I have had not problems since I took the doors off.
post #557 of 1438 Old 05-12-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Yes me too, that' why I removed the glass doors and cut out the back in my AV cabinet.
I had a cabinet built with traditional door frames that could accept glass panels. Then I just left the panels out. It did not look immediately like there was no glass. wink.gif
post #558 of 1438 Old 05-12-2013, 02:03 PM

WSE, I wish the cabinet were solid cherry, but it would have been cost-prohibitive for me. The flat parts are veneer, but the trim is solid.

It will be interesting to see what the APC temperature probe reveals about the heat in the cabinet. I'll do some measurements at each shelf with the doors off and then with the doors on (playing the same selections at the same volume for the same time). I did this some years ago, when the cabinet was first installed, but as things measured fine, I didn't keep the numbers.

Cheerio,

RJ

Eschew obfuscation.
post #559 of 1438 Old 05-15-2013, 04:54 AM

The eagle has landed.

I picked up my SP-3 yesterday at Fedex and spent the next hour setting up the basic items including speaker distances, sound levels, inputs, etc. I don't know why inputs are assigned to numbers, but I can live with it.

I put on the soundtrack of a couple movies just to make sure things were working, and they were. The sound was very nice, but I really can't comment much on that yet.

Regarding the discussion of the SP-3 forcing everything to 7.1 if that's how the speakers are configured, I flipped through some programs on my DVR which are in DD 5.1 and that's what got displayed. And, there was no sound coming from my rears. Do I have to be in a different processing mode to get 7.1 from a 5.1 source? As I said, I have just started playing with it so I haven't run through a lot of the functions. I am sure I will have more questions as the days go by.

I love how the little buttons on the remote click. This is my first Bryston piece so maybe this is one of their signatures.

David M.
post #560 of 1438 Old 05-15-2013, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The eagle has landed.

I picked up my SP-3 yesterday at Fedex and spent the next hour setting up the basic items including speaker distances, sound levels, inputs, etc. I don't know why inputs are assigned to numbers, but I can live with it.

I put on the soundtrack of a couple movies just to make sure things were working, and they were. The sound was very nice, but I really can't comment much on that yet.

Regarding the discussion of the SP-3 forcing everything to 7.1 if that's how the speakers are configured, I flipped through some programs on my DVR which are in DD 5.1 and that's what got displayed. And, there was no sound coming from my rears. Do I have to be in a different processing mode to get 7.1 from a 5.1 source? As I said, I have just started playing with it so I haven't run through a lot of the functions. I am sure I will have more questions as the days go by.

I love how the little buttons on the remote click. This is my first Bryston piece so maybe this is one of their signatures.

Congradulations David! For some reason it seems like you have been waiting a long time for the SP3 to arrive. Once you get everything configured to your liking, you won't be needing too much tweaking. I have not touch mine since I initially set it up. Did you configure your rears forn "on". I have never had a problem with the 5.1 being upconverted to 7.1. As a matter of fact, once I heard 2.0 upconverted to 7.1, I cannot go back to 2.0. Ths same applies to 5.1 upconverted to 7.1. I cannot go back to 5.1. In 7.1, the sound is very enveloping and almost holographic. In any event, I can't wait to read your comments on the sonic worth of the SP3. Welcome to the club.
post #561 of 1438 Old 05-15-2013, 05:23 PM

Last night I set the speaker levels for input 2 - SAT which is getting the DD 5.1 information via S/PDIF. Tonight I put a blu ray on in my Oppo and fed the audio via HDMI 1 - DVD. I flipped through the menus and noticed that the speaker sizes and speaker levels were set at the default and zero, respectively. Does this mean I need to set speaker sizes and levels for each input source or is it for each signal type (DD 5.1 vs. DTS-HDMA).

David M.
post #562 of 1438 Old 05-15-2013, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Last night I set the speaker levels for input 2 - SAT which is getting the DD 5.1 information via S/PDIF. Tonight I put a blu ray on in my Oppo and fed the audio via HDMI 1 - DVD. I flipped through the menus and noticed that the speaker sizes and speaker levels were set at the default and zero, respectively. Does this mean I need to set speaker sizes and levels for each input source or is it for each signal type (DD 5.1 vs. DTS-HDMA).

Go to source setup. Scroll to "Other". It will give you two options, Global an Individual. Hit global, save it, and all your inputs will be the same.
post #563 of 1438 Old 05-15-2013, 05:42 PM

Thanks gbaby. I assume that is the case except for 7.1? I would think that the 7.1 would set all the levels to 0?

David M.
post #564 of 1438 Old 05-15-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks gbaby. I assume that is the case except for 7.1? I would think that the 7.1 would set all the levels to 0?

The way I configured mine was to set the speakers to small, set the crossover, and measured the speaker distances in inches, set it to global and saved it . All the inputs now have the same configuration. I forgot to mention that my front left and right are set to 0 speaker level, with the center speaker level set to -5db . All the rears have a speaker level of -2.5 db. I used a radio shack sound meter to set the level. I NEVER have an urge to adjust the sound.levels as they seem perfect.
post #565 of 1438 Old 05-25-2013, 09:20 AM

I hope Bryston is devoting some real resources (time/money/people) in improving the web app for the SP-3. It is sub-par in its current version. However, I am glad they have gone down this path.

David M.
post #566 of 1438 Old 05-25-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Dave - you using an external eq for your subs?
post #567 of 1438 Old 05-25-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Dave - you using an external eq for your subs?

Not sure if you mean me, but I have an Antimode--very happy with it--but then, I like keeping things simple. smile.gif

Dave

post #568 of 1438 Old 05-25-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

Not sure if you mean me, but I have an Antimode--very happy with it--but then, I like keeping things simple. smile.gif

I was referring to anti mode. I have the dual core 2.0 paired with my Sp3 as well.

Do you mind if we chat? Having some odd calibration issues.

Send me a PM if you have some time.

Tony
post #569 of 1438 Old 05-27-2013, 04:00 PM

2 Channel Bypass

When I select this for an analog source why does the Output read "L+R+sub"? Can I set it to only output 2 channels and not send anything to my sub?

Also, why are the surround modes only available on the DVD analog input?

David M.
post #570 of 1438 Old 05-27-2013, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

2 Channel Bypass

When I select this for an analog source why does the Output read "L+R+sub"? Can I set it to only output 2 channels and not send anything to my sub?

Also, why are the surround modes only available on the DVD analog input?

David to get just 2 channels without a sub, press the 2 channel button to the left of the HDMI button. On your second question, it appears you are locked in the analog mode. Do you have either the HDMI or digital output of your player connected? If its HDMI, make sure you press the HDMI button, if its either digital coaxial or optical, make sure you press the digital button.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Arcam

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page