post #811 of 1417 Old 09-30-2013, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoThere View Post

Congratulations, Tom:

You'll find the SP3 accurate and engaging, and the folks on this thread will be very helpful as you set up the unit.

Alas, the SP3 manual does not address setup as fully or lucidly as one might wish. However, you'll find that the SP3 is an excellent product and will reward the time you spend to set it up effectively.

FWIW, here are basic steps I used for setting levels. Doubtless, the other participants in the forum will have more helpful recommendations. There is a brief allusion to menu settings (bottom right of page 3 of the manual; see also page 12).

I used the following to set up my system:
1. Radio Shack sound level meter. Mine is the discontinued analog meter, catalog number 33-2050. You'll find lots of correction tables for the analog meter on the web; here's a place to start: http://www.avsforum.com/t/505236/spl-meter-correction-tables. This may not be necessary for the digital meters, but AVS forum participants will likely have experience with this matter.
2. Tape measure: meters or feet
3. If you have an iPhone, the 99 cent speaker angle app by Genelec is worthwhile. It's on the iTunes app store.
4. Laser pointer; I used my laser level.
5. Tripod: I used my camera tripod to hold the Radio Shack meter.

You'll do this setup very infrequently, so if you can borrow any of the gear, that might make sense.

Basically, the steps are these:

1. Measure the distance from each speaker to your listening position and enter them in the SP3 via the right menu navigation button (see item B, pages 4-5 of the manual). Choose Global settings, enter the figures (meters or inches) using the functions & operations buttons (item C pages 4 and 6 of the manual). Save the settings by pressing the left menu navigation button to work back to the main menu screen. Make a note of these measurements, as the SP3 (or any processor) can lose or reset them, for example in a power blip.

2. Use the pink noise generator in the SP3 and measure the level with your sound level meter (mounted to a tripod or otherwise placed at your listening position); you want the same level from all speakers initially. Adjust the speaker levels in the SP3 menu. My sound level meter requires a reasonably high volume level to be at its most accurate. This is set through the SP3 volume control and reads about 55-70 db on the Radio Shack analog meter. I have not found the meter useful for calibrating my subs and use the Velodyne built-in EQ software. Adjust to taste; I increased my surrounds 1.5 db. Make a note of these measurements. You enter these settings for each source by choosing Source Setup from the main menu screen; you can enter speaker size, level, and crossover, among other parameters. Use the buttons noted above to change and save settings, and write them down.

3. If desired, adjust speaker angles with the Genelec app, using the laser pointer to confirm that the "toe-in" angle for each points to your listening position: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/speakerangle/id549033688?mt=8. You'll mainly use this for your FL/FR front speakers and RL/RR back speakers.

This should get you a long way to your desired outcome. You'll likely wish to do a bit of tweaking. Again, the other forum participants should have some excellent recommendations.

The SP3 is a superb product, and I hope you enjoy it greatly. Best wishes for many hours of happy listening.

RJ

Hi RJ,

Thank you so much for the information I will try that when I get it. I can't wait to hear it and I'm happy my dealer steered me away from receivers 2 years ago and recommended going with the Integra preamp which was my first and only preamp until I get my SP3 I won't be able to sleep.

Thank you again RJ.
-Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1417 Old 09-30-2013, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Oh, Tom, are you aware that you can get the SP3 display and LEDs in blue, as well as in the default green? This seems a popular option. You can also choose the 17" or 19" width and the black or silver faceplate. Your dealer can specify your preference when ordering, and an email to James Tanner (jamestanner@bryston.ca) would give Bryston a heads-up.

RJ
tikitom likes this.

Eschew obfuscation.
post #813 of 1417 Old 09-30-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:

Oh, Tom, are you aware that you can get the SP3 display and LEDs in blue, as well as in the default green? This seems a popular option. You can also choose the 17" or 19" width and the black or silver faceplate. Your dealer can specify your preference when ordering, and an email to James Tanner (jamestanner@bryston.ca) would give Bryston a heads-up.

RJ

Yes I am aware of that RJ, I went with the black face plate 17' with the blue LEDs I think I'm going to have to schedule a few vacation days from work when I recieve it because I will probably be calling in sick anyway to listen to it.

Thank you RJ.
-Tom
post #814 of 1417 Old 10-01-2013, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitom View Post

Hi gbaby,

First of all I would like to give you a big "THANK YOU" for getting this thread started and all of the hard work and research and knowlede you've done and thank you everyone else that posted there knowledge and input into this thread it really does help people like me that are getting started in the world of hi tech toys.I do not have a Bryston dealer near me the closes dealer is over 4 hours away from where I live and my dealer I deal with is out of state and 6 hours away and when I called him and asked him about the SP3 and the Macintosh MX151 and he sells both brands without any hesitation he said the Bryston SP3 was the best damn preamp on the planet and he hasn't steared me wrong yet.I am going to purchase the SP3 without hearing it in a demo all of your awesome inputs on this thread made me want to be on team Bryston! gbaby I did call Bryston this morning and asked if I can use the Integra and the gentleman I spoke to was very knowledable and friendly and thats who I want to give my business to.he said the Integra would work for the internet radio stations but running the hdmi from the Integra to the Bryston might cause a handshake issue so I am going to try the Integra since it is in my rack already and paid for but I am always looking for other options.

Thanks again!
-Tom

Congradulations, Tom. You were quite fortunate to receive an honest opinion from a dealer of both the Mac and the SP3. We are all honored you have chosen to embrace Team Bryston. cool.gifsmile.gif I can recall having first listen to the Bryston SP3 at the Hi Fi house in Jenkinstown, PA, and what I heard had me grinning from ear to ear. Once you get your processor up and running, you will be in for a hugh surprise. biggrin.gif Welcome aboard.
tikitom likes this.
post #815 of 1417 Old 10-01-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

Congradulations, Tom. You were quite fortunate to receive an honest opinion from a dealer of both the Mac and the SP3. We are all honored you have chosen to embrace Team Bryston. cool.gifsmile.gif I can recall having first listen to the Bryston SP3 at the Hi Fi house in Jenkinstown, PA, and what I heard had me grinning from ear to ear. Once you get your processor up and running, you will be in for a hugh surprise. biggrin.gif Welcome aboard.

Thank you for the kind words gbaby. I can't wait to hear it!smile.gif And yes my dealer is awesome no matter what I buy from him he always leads me in the right direction he is straight up and honest with me and gives me awesome deals on everything I buy from him which you don't find to often these days.

-Tom
post #816 of 1417 Old 10-01-2013, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post

I am using RCA. I didn't think that would make a difference but one never knows.

I just assumed that 2 CH bypass means just that.

David, to get true 2channel bypass without the sub, first you need to reconfigure your unit by going to the menu and press source. Once you press source, go into the subwoofer menu. It will show subwoofer bypass off or on. Press subwooder off for your source and then reset it. That should do it. wink.gif
SoThere likes this.
post #817 of 1417 Old 10-01-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for the kind words gbaby. I can't wait to hear it!smile.gif And yes my dealer is awesome no matter what I buy from him he always leads me in the right direction he is straight up and honest with me and gives me awesome deals on everything I buy from him which you don't find to often these days.

-Tom

I must add that you should pat yourself on the back because you are starting off pretty high in audio circles. cool.gif For you to start with a good processor in the Integra 80.3 and to move to the great Bryston SP3 shows excellant audio accumen to me. cool.gif
post #818 of 1417 Old 10-01-2013, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

David, to get true 2channel bypass without the sub, first you need to reconfigure your unit by going to the menu and press source. Once you press source, go into the subwoofer menu. It will show subwoofer bypass off or on. Press subwooder off for your source and then reset it. That should do it. wink.gif

Thanks gbaby.

I think I have the configuration as universal so I may have to change that.

David M.
post #819 of 1417 Old 10-01-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:

I must add that you should pat yourself on the back because you are starting off pretty high in audio circles. cool.gif For you to start with a good processor in the Integra 80.3 and to move to the great Bryston SP3 shows excellant audio accumen to me. cool.gif

Thank you gbaby!
post #820 of 1417 Old 10-02-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:

Interesting, David. I'll check this out when I'm home and get back to you.

Best,

RJ

David, I'm sorry for the delay in my response; I was in LA and just returned yesterday evening. I checked out my SP3 this morning.

As Gbaby noted aptly in post 816, the configuration setting will toggle your sub on or off with 2 ch. bypass. I have the subwoofer bypass off, and this results in FL+FR speakers only. Pressing the SP3 2 ch. bypass button a second time will switch my SP3 to the Stereo mode and insert the subs. Thus, the choice is easily available.

I hope you, and all of the thread participants who own one, are enjoying the SP3.

RJ

Eschew obfuscation.
post #821 of 1417 Old 10-05-2013, 05:28 PM

Liked: 10
Hi , whats is for , in the subwoofer menu I can put xtra bass 0 to - 20 , when I put in on the bass in the sub woofer is very not strong? Thanks in advance for your respond
post #822 of 1417 Old 10-06-2013, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv1600 View Post

Hi , whats is for , in the subwoofer menu I can put xtra bass 0 to - 20 , when I put in on the bass in the sub woofer is very not strong? Thanks in advance for your respond

It's hard to understand your question. Are you asking, What is "extra bass?"
post #823 of 1417 Old 10-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Hi SP3 owners,

I currently have a Cinema 11 in my system (recent acquisition) and like the sound of it.

I know some of you have had Cary Cinemas in your systems previously. I've heard the SP1 and fell in love with the Bryston sound. Currently aspiring to an SP3 down the line.

I was wondering if you could characterize the differences between the Cary and the SP3? From memory is fine, I'm not anal about A/B DBT wink.gif

thanks!
post #824 of 1417 Old 10-07-2013, 01:29 PM

I have a lot of Cary equipment and love the Cary sound. I had a Cinema 11 and then a 12 before I purchased an SP3. The SP3 sounds significantly nicer to my ears. It is more natural and detailed without being fatiguing or bright. And, all the other aspects of the SP3 are superior to the Cary. The processing of 5.1 to 7.1 is a very nice bonus. If you do upgrade to an SP3 you will not be disappointed.

David M.
post #825 of 1417 Old 10-10-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post

Hi SP3 owners,

I currently have a Cinema 11 in my system (recent acquisition) and like the sound of it.

I know some of you have had Cary Cinemas in your systems previously. I've heard the SP1 and fell in love with the Bryston sound. Currently aspiring to an SP3 down the line.

I was wondering if you could characterize the differences between the Cary and the SP3? From memory is fine, I'm not anal about A/B DBT wink.gif

thanks!

Since you are "near Philly", go to Hi Fi House in Jenkinstown and audition the SP3 for yourself.
post #826 of 1417 Old 10-10-2013, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Since you are "near Philly", go to Hi Fi House in Jenkinstown and audition the SP3 for yourself.

Well, I need to be much closer to throwing down the cash. Lovely ppl over there, tho.

When the time comes I need to compare the Krell and the Bryston.
post #827 of 1417 Old 10-22-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post

Well, I need to be much closer to throwing down the cash. Lovely ppl over there, tho.

When the time comes I need to compare the Krell and the Bryston.

While I own a Krell amp, their processors have always sucked.
post #828 of 1417 Old 10-22-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tikitom, where are you?confused.gif
post #829 of 1417 Old 10-22-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:

Tikitom, where are you?confused.gif

Hi Gbaby, I have'nt been on the computer much lately both my Mom and Dad have been in and out of hospitals and I been spending alot of time with them. I did talk to my dealer today about the SP3 he said Bryston will be shipping it out to him on Thursday and as soon as he recieves it he will ship out to me so hopefully I recieve it next week sometime the sooner the better I can't wait to hear the performance that the SP3 produces.
post #830 of 1417 Old 10-22-2013, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Gbaby, I have'nt been on the computer much lately both my Mom and Dad have been in and out of hospitals and I been spending alot of time with them. I did talk to my dealer today about the SP3 he said Bryston will be shipping it out to him on Thursday and as soon as he recieves it he will ship out to me so hopefully I recieve it next week sometime the sooner the better I can't wait to hear the performance that the SP3 produces.

Tikitom, take care of your parents. I lost both of mine, and its like your foundation is gone. In any case, Bryston must be back logged on the SP3. Its good to know they are in demand. cool.gif
post #831 of 1417 Old 10-22-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:

Tikitom, take care of your parents. I lost both of mine, and its like your foundation is gone. In any case, Bryston must be back logged on the SP3. Its good to know they are in demand. cool.gif

Gbaby, I am so sorry to hear about your parents I can't imagine life without having them.It's tough just seeing them get older alls we can do is hold there memmories in our hearts....
post #832 of 1417 Old 10-22-2013, 04:16 PM

My dealer put my order in on October 1st and I called Bryston on the 15th and it was not in production yet and the receptionist I spoke to told me she would put a rush order in for me since I called about it to see what the status was.So that is a good sign if they are back logged.smile.gif
post #833 of 1417 Old 10-29-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well fellows, it looks like Bryston will be needing a hugh upgrade of the SP3 because Sony is planning to market a playback system for DSD and it is planning on reissuing all of its catelog in DSD for playback. I guess we will need to make sure Bryston will be on board. confused.gif
post #834 of 1417 Old 10-29-2013, 02:31 PM

Or just get a DSD player and play it through the SP3. Schiit audio has one for $149 which has gotten very good reviews.

David M.
post #835 of 1417 Old 10-29-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:

Well fellows, it looks like Bryston will be needing a hugh upgrade of the SP3 because Sony is planning to market a playback system for DSD and it is planning on reissuing all of its catelog in DSD for playback. I guess we will need to make sure Bryston will be on board. confused.gif

Halloo, gbaby, David, and fellow SP3 fans. It's good to hear from you and see activity on this helpful thread.

FYI, Bryston's in-development firmware for its digital player, the BDP-2, does have DSD support at this time. See Post 24: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=119878.msg1270044#new. I'm privileged to own this player and am thrilled with its performance (I use AIFF and FLAC). Also, the Oppo BDP-105 supports limited DSD playback, as Kal Rubinson has delineated quite cogently in his excellent Stereophile columns. As with most things audio, there is controversy as to the quality of DSD vis-a-vis other lossless formats. What a surprise. It does make sense to support the formats that are out there, and as David notes, a DSD-capable player seems the apt tool for this purpose.

Best fishes,

RJ

Eschew obfuscation.
post #836 of 1417 Old 10-30-2013, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Will a DSD player or thE BDP-2 with DSD convert the sound to PCM with the SP3?confused.gif
post #837 of 1417 Old 10-30-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:

Will a DSD player or thE BDP-2 with DSD convert the sound to PCM with the SP3?confused.gif

What a good question, gbaby. The BDP-2 has AES/EBU and SPDIF outputs: http://bryston.com/products/digital_audio/BDP-2.html

The SP3 has AES/EBU and SPDIF inputs: http://bryston.com/products/digital_audio/SP3.html

Thus, you should be good to go. You may wish to confirm with Bryston's James Tanner on the AudioCircle SP3 thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=50270.0

As another example, the Oppo BDP-105 has a fine DAC built-in, so you can use its HDMI, SPDIF, optical, balanced, or single-ended outputs.

Hope this is useful.

RJ

Eschew obfuscation.
post #838 of 1417 Old 10-30-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The device sending the digital signal must convert DSD to PCM as the SP3 to my knowledge cannot. Of course you could use an outboard DAC (such as in the Oppo 105) and send the resulting analog signal to the SP3. Those are the only ways I know of to listen to a DSD file or SACD via the SP3.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #839 of 1417 Old 10-30-2013, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What a good question, gbaby. The BDP-2 has AES/EBU and SPDIF outputs: http://bryston.com/products/digital_audio/BDP-2.html

The SP3 has AES/EBU and SPDIF inputs: http://bryston.com/products/digital_audio/SP3.html

Thus, you should be good to go. You may wish to confirm with Bryston's James Tanner on the AudioCircle SP3 thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=50270.0

As another example, the Oppo BDP-105 has a fine DAC built-in, so you can use its HDMI, SPDIF, optical, balanced, or single-ended outputs.

Hope this is useful.

RJ

I think Jima4a is correct.. However, It would not make sense for Bryston to upgrade the BDP-2 to receive DSD when it will convert to PCM on the SP3. Hopefully, the SP3 can be upgraded. Another small issue I noticed with the SP3 is that I do not think the HDMI input are exactly pass through. The reason I say this is I have two blu-rays and a PS3 connected to the SP3. When I connect any of them directly to my Sony XBR 55HX929, the signal reads 12 bits. However, when connected to the SP3, it reads 10 bit, and I can see the picture does not have the same detail although its not appreciable.
post #840 of 1417 Old 10-30-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:

I think Jima4a is correct.. However, It would not make sense for Bryston to upgrade the BDP-2 to receive DSD when it will convert to PCM on the SP3. Hopefully, the SP3 can be upgraded. Another small issue I noticed with the SP3 is that I do not think the HDMI input are exactly pass through. The reason I say this is I have two blu-rays and a PS3 connected to the SP3. When I connect any of them directly to my Sony XBR 55HX929, the signal reads 12 bits. However, when connected to the SP3, it reads 10 bit, and I can see the picture does not have the same detail although its not appreciable.

You're right, gbaby, Jim makes an excellent point. As I understand it, the DAC in the SP3 is upgradable and there have been noises on the forums suggesting that Bryston is adding asynchronous USB. It might be worth letting James Tanner know of user interest in adding DSD capability. Of course, the cost of the upgraded DAC may make the Oppo BDP-105 worthy of consideration, as it seems to be the A/V Swiss Army Knife these days.

I can't speak to picture quality, since I run the video HDMI out on my Oppo 105 directly to the TV and the audio HDMI to the SP3. It would be interesting to see how Bryston responds to your findings.

Cheerio,

RJ

Eschew obfuscation.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Arcam

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page