AVS Forum banner

The Official Bryston SP3 Thread.

168K views 2K replies 111 participants last post by  agehalight 
#1 ·
I just purchased a Bryston SP3 to replace my Arcam AV9 processor. The comments on the Bryston SP3 on this forum are fragmented so I decided to start a thread where everyone can post their comments on this processor. While I have not connected my SP3, I will report on my assessment of this pre/pro as soon as I do.

#727 ·
I've never done the "mount spl meter to tripod and measure levels, make adjustments, measure distances" process.

Is there a link you can send me that tells me the stuff I need to buy, and the steps to take? Of course this info gets put in the unit, I just dont know the full picture of this whole process.

Thanks much!

#729 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoWrecker  /t/1421006/the-official-bryston-sp3-thread/720#post_23610510

I've never done the "mount spl meter to tripod and measure levels, make adjustments, measure distances" process.

Is there a link you can send me that tells me the stuff I need to buy, and the steps to take? Of course this info gets put in the unit, I just dont know the full picture of this whole process.

Thanks much!

Buy this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12680845 or http://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-7-range-Analog-Display-Sound/dp/B000A1EHGM/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

And get yourself a tape measure. I have never mounted the SPL to a tripod.

#730 ·
The Genelec speaker angle app for iPhone is very helpful as well; it's 99 cents:

Using a laser pointer (in my case, my laser level) with this simple and useful app let me adjust toe-in for my front L&R and rear L&R speakers; the center and surrounds were not adjusted, since their locations made this unnecessary or infeasible. You just place the iPhone with the app running on top of your speaker and use the laser pointer to aim the speaker at your listening point. The app notes optimum angle ranges. Of course, adjust to taste by ear.

Hope this is useful.

RJ

#731 ·
Thanks to all for the assistance!

My local dealer is staying firm on MSRP. If you happened to know a legitimate dealer that will sell for slight % less please drop me a note with contact info.

Its not uncommon to find a dealer willing to sell a unit for a small % off, like 5 or 10%. In this particular case, any % will help.

Cheers.

#733 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoWrecker  /t/1421006/the-official-bryston-sp3-thread/720#post_23615675

Just ordered my SP-3. Black, 17", blue LED.

I'm so excited, I can't wait! Now I have 3 weeks of anxiety-type anticipation!

Many thanks again for everyone's info. Looks like I'm a part of this family/thread.

Cheers

Congratulations, GizmoWrecker! Best wishes for many happy hours of listening.

Did you go with black or silver front panel, green or blue LEDs and display, 17" or 19" width?

Cheerio,

RJ

#734 ·
- Black, because my eqmt is all black and the rest of the room is based on glass and black lacquer; black just fits in with everything else

- 17", because it wont be going in a rack, and will be next to my power conditioner; having the rack-mount lip/ears in this particular case would be just unnecessary. (although I always love rack mount eqmt, so darn on that note)

- Blue LED. My favorite color in general happens to be green, but I thought about it and went with blue for more fluidity across the components.

I must say I am rather excited. This will be one long and arduous lead time!

Will be swinging by local Radio Shack to get that sound level meter, the analog one.

Time for me to start doing my research on what to do!!

#735 ·
Hows the latest firmware revision, anything cool to discuss? Curious how everyone is doing.

I'm swinging by radio shack this evening for SPL and doing some planning & prep this weekend. Im about two weeks out at this point.

Any good home theater room treatments worth talking about? I put my sub on one of those bases, it helps. What about other stuff?

cheers

#736 ·
I'm having a problem with my SP3. It kicks my DVR into PCM and thus all I can receive is:

IN: PCM 48K 2/0.0

OUT: Pass thru 2/0.0

I've tried using the Optical Out from the DVR and selecting Digital In on the SP3 but still no luck. It seems the DVR needs a response from the SP3 via HDMI in order for it to output DD5.1 for DD5.1 broadcasts.

My DVR is a TWC Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HDC DVR. All other AVR's and Pre/Pro's that I've tried receive DD5.1 from my DVR with no problem. The SP3 is the only device giving me this trouble.

The SP3 outputs DD5.1 successfully for my X-Box 360 & it outputs DD5.1, TrueHD, or DTS HDMA for Blu-Ray's .

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue....or have any ideas? I do love the sound from the SP3.

Almost forgot...I have the latest firmware: u2013.08b

#737 ·
I had a similar issue - I couldn't get a surround signal from my DVR box and thought the SP3 was to blame.

It turns out Cablevision is to blame. A DVR update broke 5.1 out if you are hooked up via HDMI. The only way to get 5.1 is to use component video and optical audio. If the HDMI cable is used for video, you'll only get a 2 channel audio signal no matter how the audio is connected.

Thanks, Cablevision!

#738 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott brown  /t/1421006/the-official-bryston-sp3-thread/720#post_23640528

I had a similar issue - I couldn't get a surround signal from my DVR box and thought the SP3 was to blame.

It turns out Cablevision is to blame. A DVR update broke 5.1 out if you are hooked up via HDMI. The only way to get 5.1 is to use component video and optical audio. If the HDMI cable is used for video, you'll only get a 2 channel audio signal no matter how the audio is connected.

Thanks, Cablevision!

It doesn't surprise me that a DVR update goofed things up with the 5.1 audio. The cable company has goofed up the DVR many times with updates.

The funny thing is I can connect a Pioneer AVR, Onkyo AVR, Arcam AVR, Marantz Pre/Pro and Classe Pre/Pro and they all get the DD5.1 through HDMI or Optical with no issues but the Bryston will not.

#739 ·
I'm also unable to Bi-Amp my front L&R speakers.
Has anyone attempted to, and been successful at, Bi-Amping their front L&R speakers?

Per instructions from James, i went into setup: "System Setup" - "Miscellaneous" & set "Aux" to "Stereo L&R" but I'm still unable to get any sound from the Bi-Amped portion of the front L&R.

Has anyone had success with Bi-Amping?

#741 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman S  /t/1421006/the-official-bryston-sp3-thread/720#post_23641103

I'm also unable to Bi-Amp my front L&R speakers.
Has anyone attempted to, and been successful at, Bi-Amping their front L&R speakers?

Per instructions from James, i went into setup: "System Setup" - "Miscellaneous" & set "Aux" to "Stereo L&R" but I'm still unable to get any sound from the Bi-Amped portion of the front L&R.

Has anyone had success with Bi-Amping?

I bi-amped my speakers with no issues before I switched amps

#743 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman S  /t/1421006/the-official-bryston-sp3-thread/720#post_23640806

It doesn't surprise me that a DVR update goofed things up with the 5.1 audio. The cable company has goofed up the DVR many times with updates.

The funny thing is I can connect a Pioneer AVR, Onkyo AVR, Arcam AVR, Marantz Pre/Pro and Classe Pre/Pro and they all get the DD5.1 through HDMI or Optical with no issues but the Bryston will not.

If you have an Oppo BDP-105, you can route to it first and see if that helps. That's what I'm doing currently. I have it set to Bitstream, so the '105 passes it to my Pre/Pro for processing. Yes, the pre/pro gets 5.1. From the sounds of it, getting the bitstream from a unit other than your DVR will give you want your looking for [since it does coming from your other eqmt]

BTW nice name -- I like the look of the new Cayman, the side looks like the Carrera GT. Porsche uber alles

#744 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoWrecker  /t/1421006/the-official-bryston-sp3-thread/720#post_23644943

If you have an Oppo BDP-105, you can route to it first and see if that helps. That's what I'm doing currently. I have it set to Bitstream, so the '105 passes it to my Pre/Pro for processing. Yes, the pre/pro gets 5.1. From the sounds of it, getting the bitstream from a unit other than your DVR will give you want your looking for [since it does coming from your other eqmt]

BTW nice name -- I like the look of the new Cayman, the side looks like the Carrera GT. Porsche uber alles

GizmoWrecker, Thank you for the alternate hook-up to get the 5.1 from the DVR. Currently I'm in a wrestling match with my cable provider so depending on the outcome of that, or perhaps switching to another provider, I'll definitely keep that in mind....although it would involve purchasing an Oppo BDP-105....but I don't think I'd complain about that.

Thank you...I love my Cayman S...yes, Porsche tries to keep all their models with a very similar look...
at least that's what they told me about 4 years ago.

#746 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby  /t/1421006/the-official-bryston-sp3-thread/720#post_23699586

Does the Bryston BDA-1 have a better D/A converter than the Bryson SP-3 or are they the same?

RJ, since you own the Bryson BDA-2 or 1 this is a question for you. Is the D/A converter on it better than that of the SP3?

#747 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby  /t/1421006/the-official-bryston-sp3-thread/720#post_23703583

RJ, since you own the Bryson BDA-2 or 1 this is a question for you. Is the D/A converter on it better than that of the SP3?

Halloo, Gbaby and audio fans. It's good to hear from you again. I've been out of the world with a front yard makeover project that we've just completed, so I've not had much chance to play with my HT gear. Like all projects in my experience, the front yard took twice as long and cost twice as much as expected, but we're very happy with the results.

The BDP-2 is a step up from the excellent BDP-1 DAC (which is, I believe, the DAC included in the SP3). There has been some activity on the AudioAficionado SP3 thread (see Post 543 of 7.20.2013) about upgrades to the SP3 DAC board: http://www.audioaficionado.org/bryston-audio/10066-bryston-sp3-preamp-processor-55.html

I believe that the SP3 and BDA-1 both use the Crystal chips, while the BDA-2 uses AKM chips and has the capability (but not yet the implementation) of processing DSD files. This AudioCircle thread points out the features and specs: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110297.0 . The reviews of the BDA-2 have been stellar; the preceding thread links to several.

Of course at this level, one gets into diminishing returns quite quickly, so it would be worth comparing the SP3/BDA-1 and the BDA-2 DACs for yourself to determine the differences. I can say that the BDP-2 and BDA-2 combination has provided the best sound I've heard in our home, and perhaps anywhere.

Happy listening,

RJ

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

#748 ·
Whoops, my references to BDP-2 and BDP-1 in my second paragraph above should of course say BDA-2 and BDA-1. The BDP is Bryston's digital player series, which the BDA is their series of DACs.

Oopsie,

RJ

#749 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoThere  /t/1421006/the-official-bryston-sp3-thread/720#post_23707231

Whoops, my references to BDP-2 and BDP-1 in my second paragraph above should of course say BDA-2 and BDA-1. The BDP is Bryston's digital player series, which the BDA is their series of DACs.

Oopsie,

RJ

Whichever BDP you own, do you think its D/A converter sounds the same as or better than the D/A converter of the SP3. I'm asking for your subjective opinion.

#750 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby  /t/1421006/the-official-bryston-sp3-thread/720#post_23707821

Whichever BDP you own, do you think its D/A converter sounds the same as or better than the D/A converter of the SP3. I'm asking for your subjective opinion.

Gbaby, from my perspective, the reviewers have it right as regards the sound of the BDA-2 vis-a-vis the BDA-1 (or SP3): the former is indeed smoother, more analog-like. I hear the sound as completely natural and engaging. As far as the digital players, the BDP-2 has far more processing power (and thus greater capabilities) than the BDP-1, and I would pay the premium for that "future proofing" (insofar as that's possible these days). The BDP-2 and SP3 would be a fine combination, and purchasing the BDA-2 in addition would be an incremental improvement.

BTW, there's an interesting discussion on DSD here, as well as in other AC threads: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=119557.msg1257699#new

Cheerio,

RJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.