Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #991 of 1472 Old 01-20-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 51
^ ahh the Ohio Players. I like there music a lot. I bet it sounds exceptional on the Bryston.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1472 Old 01-20-2014, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post

^ ahh the Ohio Players. I like there music a lot. I bet it sounds exceptional on the Bryston.

Being from Ohio, aren't you a little biased.wink.gif Just kidding, but the DTS-CD does sound exceptional even if I don't like every composition.
post #993 of 1472 Old 01-20-2014, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes maybe a little. Wink
post #994 of 1472 Old 01-21-2014, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It would be great if the owners or demo'ers could help me out with this.

I'm wondering what external DAC's you've compared the on board SP3's to?

The Ayre QB-9 is fairly top of my list right now so especially if someone has compared that one it would be great to hear.
If adding a $3500 DAC is only a hair better then it would be nice to skip it. (Same goes for getting only the SP3 rather than a separate 2 channel Pre, so any thoughts on that would be great too.)

Thanks
post #995 of 1472 Old 01-21-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I was told the QB-9 after the upgrade is notably better. I have only heard it pre upgrade with the 5 series Ayre pre. I would be interested in this assessment also.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #996 of 1472 Old 01-21-2014, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meboy View Post

The Ayre QB-9 is fairly top of my list right now so especially if someone has compared that one it would be great to hear.
If adding a $3500 DAC is only a hair better then it would be nice to skip it. (Same goes for getting only the SP3 rather than a separate 2 channel Pre, so any thoughts on that would be great too.)

Thanks

The SP3 was designed to shine its best in multi-channel. However, if I needed an outboard DAC, I'd get the Bryston as it is an award winning DAC. But, to be honest, I would never spend the money for the SP3 and get the DAC too because I am not a well heeled individual and I still owe in excess of 6k for the SP3. I am not knocking those who have the Bryston DAC, too. Moreover, if I were only interested in only 2 channel audio, I would forgo the SP3 and get the outboard DAC for my Arcam AV9. Or better yet, I'd get a dedicated 2 channel pr-amp. And, even then, you will not get appreciable better performance because the SP3 is based upon Bryson's acclaimed BP-26. In addition, the SP 3 has a superior analog section. The best advice I can give to you is to read the professional reviews on the SP3 as they speak for themselves. Additonally, I would never invest in a product and then send it to an aftermarket business for an upgrade. Thats just me.
post #997 of 1472 Old 01-21-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 65
The DSD upgrade for the DB-9 was through Ayre. Being two channel only it is not on my wish list. I have been hit by the multichannel bug and I blame Kal. biggrin.gif The SP3 is definitely on my short wish list.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #998 of 1472 Old 01-22-2014, 08:51 AM

I've read all the reviews and there are little in the way of comparisons for most (as usual). Though some did say it beat most 2 channel Pre's or many other Pre/Pro's. Still, that's not much to go by.
As far as comparing the DA in the SP3 to other DAC's, I've seen almost nothing mentioned of it.

Hopefully someone actually did some roughly dollar for dollar options comparisons before they bought a $9.5k Pre/Pro? Pretty impossible to say how good it sounds otherwise.
Dido for investing in a standalone DAC vs. the one in the SP3.
post #999 of 1472 Old 01-22-2014, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Hopefully someone actually did some roughly dollar for dollar options comparisons before they bought a $9.5k Pre/Pro? Pretty impossible to say how good it sounds otherwise.
Dido for investing in a standalone DAC vs. the one in the SP3.

And how exactly do you do that? One needs to be able to audition each unit in their own room to really assess the sound differences. There aren't a ton of places that allow you to do that.

David M.
post #1000 of 1472 Old 01-22-2014, 11:11 AM

Taking things home is ideal but A/B'ing at the dealer with something else comparable is perfectly fine to test too.

Someone saying something sounds great to them doesn't mean a thing unless you know what they're comparing it too.
post #1001 of 1472 Old 01-22-2014, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Listening to equipment in someone's room on unfamiliar speakers does nothing for me. It is far from a controlled test. I have no idea what's causing the sound difference. While it may be better than nothing, it doesn't tell me what it will sound like in my room with my stuff.

David M.
post #1002 of 1472 Old 01-22-2014, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I purchased the SP3 exclusively on the Stereophile article from Kal Rubinson. Wanting to hear it first, I went to a Bryston dealer in Raleign, North Carolina, only the have the saleman to steer me to a Classe, which Kal already owned, but opined that he thought the SP3 sounded better. So I knew the Classe was not an option, and when I asked why he did not carry the Bryston SP3, his response was they could not stock everything. As a former audio consultant, I knew he was trying to sell me what was in stock. My advantage over him is that I read most of the audio periodicals he did not. So I left, and later while in Philadelphia, I visited the Hi Fi House in Jenkinstown, PA, listened to the Bryston SP3 with a CD in my car by Gregg Karakus (piano music), and I started grinning from ear to ear as every sonic trait or lack thereof that was described by Kal was evident. So enamored with the sound or lack thereof, I started figuring how I could get this unit. With the equity line on my home, which had a zero balance, I decided to tak the dive, and I have never looked back. What I hear from the SP3 is the recording studio, and it seems to remove all layers of sound between you and the studio. You hear the recording, and if its bad the SP3 will not make it sound good. It is a brutally neutral processor that has made me stop tweaking and start listening. I would encourage a demo at all cost, or you can buy it blindly like I have done from many Stereophile reviews which I find are never embellished, but accurate.
post #1003 of 1472 Old 01-22-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

I purchased the SP3 exclusively on the Stereophile article from Kal Rubinson. Wanting to hear it first, I went to a Bryston dealer in Raleign, North Carolina, only the have the saleman to steer me to a Classe, which Kal already owned,...............................................

Just to be precise, I never owned either of these two but I did have them both in my rooms and in my systems.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1004 of 1472 Old 01-22-2014, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Just to be precise, I never owned either of these two but I did have them both in my rooms and in my systems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I already knew that because of your affinity for,room correction. wink.gif But, just the same you were quite honest with your assessment of the unit which I relied upon to my benefit. cool.gifbiggrin.gif
post #1005 of 1472 Old 01-22-2014, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

?.. The SP3 is definitely on my short wish list.

If you can swing it (i.e., buy it), do so as it really is another level of listening whereby you can enjoy your music collection and spend less time tweaking.
post #1006 of 1472 Old 01-23-2014, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Most of today's blu-rays have DTS-MA. But, in my addiction to purchase just about every novel CD, I came across a DTS-CD from the past that was in my attic along with 40 SACDs and 7 DVD-Audios. The DTS-CD was by a funk and R&B group called The Ohio Players. The album is names "Fire." At any rate upon revisiting this DTS-CD, I found the sound so compelling through the SP3, that I subsequently ordered another DTS-CD entitled, "Honey," by the same artist that I found equally compelling. Compared to their red book equivalent, the DTS-CD had more weight, articulation, and air throughout the entire frequency range. In fact, you cannot listen to the red book edition after hearing the DTS-CD version. It was ear candy similar to the SACD in multi-channel experience. We have all been had by the record companies. Most of the CDs we purchase have been mastered very poorly, and perhaps most of them need to be re-mastered.

I will have to find some cd's recorded in DTS to listen to the with th SP3 i imagine it would be pure ear candy. Thank'a a million Gbaby!
post #1007 of 1472 Old 01-25-2014, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitom View Post

I will have to find some cd's recorded in DTS to listen to the with th SP3 i imagine it would be pure ear candy. Thank'a a million Gbaby!

You should, and I guarantee you will not be disappointed. I also recently purchased a DTS-CD by Herb Alpert, and found it equally enjoyable to listen, and It was less than $8.00 from Amazon and had more than 70 minutes of music. Most of it was that Ricky Ricardo music (salso and the like), but it was up tempo and some of the best from that genre. Again, I thought it was great, and I find DTS-CD music gives me as much pleasure as SACD. I would call it an underated format that shines on my SP3.
post #1008 of 1472 Old 01-25-2014, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tom, by the way since I mentioned how good both Ohio Players albums sounded in DTS-CD, Amazon has sold out although they have been available for some 15 years. I hope someone from this forum purchased them. But, I did see Herb Alpert in DTS-CD is still available and its less than $6.00. I encourage you to buy it before its too late. You will not regret it.
post #1009 of 1472 Old 01-25-2014, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have found yet another multichannel Hybrid SACD for $7.00 new on Amazon that sounds absolutely great on the Bryston SP3. It is entitled, "Shakin Fee," by Nuenna Freelon. What a sleeper SACD. It features stellar almost Ella Fitzgerald like vocals with a tight band playing modern jazz. thats pure ear candy, too. Get it while its available.
post #1010 of 1472 Old 01-25-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:

I have found yet another multichannel Hybrid SACD for $7.00 new on Amazon that sounds absolutely great on the Bryston SP3. It is entitled, "Shakin Fee," by Nuenna Freelon. What a sleeper SACD. It features stellar almost Ella Fitzgerald like vocals with a tight band playing modern jazz. thats pure ear candy, too. Get it while its available.

Thank You for the information I will have to check those out.
post #1011 of 1472 Old 01-25-2014, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

It's Nnenna Freelon "Shaking Free," I agree...great muti/stereo sound from a sleeper/cheap SACD
post #1012 of 1472 Old 01-25-2014, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfugh View Post

It's Nnenna Freelon "Shaking Free," I agree...great muti/stereo sound from a sleeper/cheap SACD

Thanks for the correction. The cover is a little hard to read for me.redface.gif
post #1013 of 1472 Old 01-26-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the correction. The cover is a little hard to read for me.redface.gif

I called a local record store and they said they had some hybrid SACD I wil have to go and see what they have when it stops snowing and the roads get a little better here in North East Ohio.
post #1014 of 1472 Old 01-26-2014, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks

Hi,
I use the QB-9 with my SP3 and not the internal DACs accessed through the USB port. For me, the inability to decode high-res music through the current USB connection keeps the Ayre in my system. I'm VERY disappointed that this upgrade supposedly "coming soon" for more than a year remains unavailable. Like others, I have enjoyed playing with multi--channel music, but until I can play all my music directly through the Bryston, I will decode in the Ayre and send 2-ch analog into the SP3.
post #1015 of 1472 Old 01-26-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitom View Post

I called a local record store and they said they had some hybrid SACD I wil have to go and see what they have when it stops snowing and the roads get a little better here in North East Ohio.

Where at in NE Ohio? I live in Amherst just west of Lorain. Not for the sacd's. Just another avser from Ohio.

PS I don't think it is ever going to stop snowing here. Worst winter in a long time.
post #1016 of 1472 Old 01-26-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post

Hi,
I use the QB-9 with my SP3 and not the internal DACs accessed through the USB post. For me, the inability to decode high-res music through the current USB connection keeps the Ayre in my system. I'm VERY disappointed that this upgrade supposedly "coming soon" for more than a year remains unavailable. Like others, I have enjoyed playing with multi--channel music, but until I can play all my music directly through the Bryston, I will decode in the Ayre and send 2-ch analog into the SP3.

I want this upgrade too. I hear they are looking into supporting DSD which is causing the delay. Hopefully Bryston will hit another home run, soon.
post #1017 of 1472 Old 01-26-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:

Where at in NE Ohio? I live in Amherst just west of Lorain. Not for the sacd's. Just another avser from Ohio.

PS I don't think it is ever going to stop snowing here. Worst winter in a long time.

It's good to see that a fellow Ohioan has an Sp3 too! I live in Mentor on the lake it's about 20 minutes East of down town Cleveland. I agree this is the worst winter I seen since the snow storm of 1978 I would have to say .
post #1018 of 1472 Old 01-26-2014, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I empathize with you guys from Ohio. I live in eastern North Carolina about 36 miles from the Atlantic Ocean and the high today was 57 degrees. Tomorrow's high will be a balmy 67 degrees. eek.gif
post #1019 of 1472 Old 01-26-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:

I empathize with you guys from Ohio. I live in eastern North Carolina about 36 miles from the Atlantic Ocean and the high today was 57 degrees. Tomorrow's high will be a balmy 67 degrees. eek.gif

Must be nice we won't be seeing tempatures like that for awhile around Ohio.
post #1020 of 1472 Old 01-26-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post

Hi,
I use the QB-9 with my SP3 and not the internal DACs accessed through the USB port. For me, the inability to decode high-res music through the current USB connection keeps the Ayre in my system. I'm VERY disappointed that this upgrade supposedly "coming soon" for more than a year remains unavailable. Like others, I have enjoyed playing with multi--channel music, but until I can play all my music directly through the Bryston, I will decode in the Ayre and send 2-ch analog into the SP3.

What about Sound vs. Sound comparison of the two (non high res.)?

Thanks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Arcam

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page