post #1261 of 1445 Old 05-01-2014, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Is there any particular reason you do not wish to reply to my question on how it informs the output sample rate? Or are you just assuming that whatever sample rate comes in is maintained to the DACs?

Roger, was your question answered?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1445 Old 05-01-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

Kal, I was shocked when you revealed that the Marantz AV-8801 has multi-channel DSD. How are they doing this? Do you think that the DSD signal is converted to PCM at some stage for bass management, delays, and distances, and the reconverted back to DSD in some output stage? The reason I ask is that DSD in multi-channel flys in the face of everything I have read about sound manipulation with DSD. I don't understand how it was accomplished.

First, there are many prepros that will do mch DSD.  However, any DSP (e.g., EQ, bass management, delays, etc.) require conversion to PCM and there's no reason to convert back before the D/A.  "Direct" may be the only way to avoid conversion.

Second, What do you mean by sound manipulation?  There is no necessity for any "manipulation" of discrete multichannel sources, DSD or PCM, other than D/A.  The exceptions are noted above.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #1263 of 1445 Old 05-01-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:

Roger, now I get it. I thought I answered this in post 1237. But to be more explicit, the SP3 displays PCM input 176k 5.1 and output pass thru 5.1.
Quote:

Roger, was your question answered?
Thanks. I think you have confirmed it does not actually assert the sample rate remains at 176 kHz through to the DACs. So yes, I have my answer.

I wonder, has anyone ever made a frequency response plot of a digital sweep at ≥88.2 kHz on the SP3 to see of the audio bandwidth exceeds 22 kHz? Could also more easily be done from an analog input as long as it is in not in analog bypass mode. Just takes a few minutes.
post #1264 of 1445 Old 05-01-2014, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt View Post

Here's a good read from James Tanner himself quoting another tikitom - makes a lot of sense to me smile.gif with an excerpt or 2

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=uh24a475ovbj28v8njnsc2r0e0&topic=118056.msg1280494#msg1280494

Intermodulation distortion is nasty stuff ;especially if you have ribbon tweeters that go to 40khz or so like my mains cool.gif

I will have to do some more testing this weekend but SP3 sounds wonderful no matter how it is played. I am far from being a true audiofile but I love good sound and I am trying to learn more in the audio world.
post #1265 of 1445 Old 05-02-2014, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

First, there are many prepros that will do mch DSD.  However, any DSP (e.g., EQ, bass management, delays, etc.) require conversion to PCM and there's no reason to convert back before the D/A.  "Direct" may be the only way to avoid conversion.

Second, What do you mean by sound manipulation?  There is no necessity for any "manipulation" of discrete multichannel sources, DSD or PCM, other than D/A.  The exceptions are noted above.

To me, any conversion to PCM defeats the purpose of having DSD 5.1. eek.gif

When I said sound manipulation, that was a misnomer.redface.gif
post #1266 of 1445 Old 05-02-2014, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. I think you have confirmed it does not actually assert the sample rate remains at 176 kHz through to the DACs. So yes, I have my answer.

I think it does because you can set the SP3 to 176.4 pass thru.
post #1267 of 1445 Old 05-02-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I think Roger's point was that it doesn't say so. Whether or not it does remains to be seen. Why don't you ask James Tanner? smile.gif

Dave

post #1268 of 1445 Old 05-02-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

I think Roger's point was that it doesn't say so. Whether or not it does remains to be seen. Why don't you ask James Tanner? smile.gif
I used the Bryston online inquiry form yesterday and received the following reply a few minutes ago:
Quote:
This section of the SP3 manual on p14 is inaccurate and should read as follows:

High Frequency Cutoff (-3dB):
40-200Hz (variable cutoff point; default 80Hz) (SubWoofer in Analog, Digital or HDMI)

>=22kHz (all speakers, except SubWoofer, in Analog(*), Digital(**) or HDMI(**))

180 kHz (all speaker channels in BYPASS)

Footnotes:
*) Analog cutoff frequency is equal to user parameter "A/D SAMP RATE" divided by 2, that is either 24kHz, 48kHz or 96kHz.

**) Digital and HDMI cutoff frequency is the lowest of the following two values:
(1) User parameter "D/A SAMP RATE" divided by 2, that is either 24kHz, 48kHz or 96kHz.
(2) Sample rate of an input stream, divided by 2.
So that clears things up for me nicely. And great "customer" service -- a complete reply in 24 hours!
post #1269 of 1445 Old 05-02-2014, 11:51 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitom View Post

I will have to do some more testing this weekend but SP3 sounds wonderful no matter how it is played. I am far from being a true audiofile but I love good sound and I am trying to learn more in the audio world.

That's what's important tikitom ;it only has to please yourself smile.gif Someone said once that the mastering of sacds and dvd-a's gets more love because there more of a pet project for the engineers . Whether true I like the sentiment wink.gif
post #1270 of 1445 Old 05-02-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt View Post

That's what's important tikitom ;it only has to please yourself smile.gif Someone said once that the mastering of sacds and dvd-a's gets more love because there more of a pet project for the engineers . Whether true I like the sentiment wink.gif

I like that also.
post #1271 of 1445 Old 05-02-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I used the Bryston online inquiry form yesterday and received the following reply a few minutes ago:
So that clears things up for me nicely. And great "customer" service -- a complete reply in 24 hours!

Glad that clears it up for you... rolleyes.gif

Dave

post #1272 of 1445 Old 05-07-2014, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tom, I remember your mentioning to me that you could not find a lot of mulit-channel SACDs for the music you enjoy. However, I would recommend that you go to Amazon and buy both SACDs by the group, Pieces of a Dream. Both SACDs can be had together for roughly $20.00, and it is in short supply. These discs tend to increase in price tremendously on the used maket so now is the time to purchase them. I would also purchase Elton John's 30th anniversary SACD, "Yellow Brick Road." It has a stellar recording and is in multi-channel, too.
post #1273 of 1445 Old 05-07-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:

Tom, I remember your mentioning to me that you could not find a lot of mulit-channel SACDs for the music you enjoy. However, I would recommend that you go to Amazon and buy both SACDs by the group, Pieces of a Dream. Both SACDs can be had together for roughly $20.00, and it is in short supply. These discs tend to increase in price tremendously on the used maket so now is the time to purchase them. I would also purchase Elton John's 30th anniversary SACD, "Yellow Brick Road." It has a stellar recording and is in multi-channel, too.

Thank you for the information Robert I will have to check it out. By the way I ordered some new hdmi cables I found a gentleman that hand makes them out of Mesa Arizaona the ones I ordered are 22 guage platinum coated 99.999% pure silver solid conductor.I know and read and been told that a $5.00 hdmi is no better than a $10,000.00 hdmi cable it's snake oil.I read some reviews about this gentleman's cables and people swear they are the best in the world and made a major improvement in sound and picture and a hell of allot cheaper price than Audioquest Diamonds and Wireworlds Platinum.The best part is if they don't make a difference he will refund 100% of my money back within 60 days of home trial use.I will let you know my impression on them when I get them.
post #1274 of 1445 Old 05-08-2014, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for the information Robert I will have to check it out. By the way I ordered some new hdmi cables I found a gentleman that hand makes them out of Mesa Arizaona the ones I ordered are 22 guage platinum coated 99.999% pure silver solid conductor.I know and read and been told that a $5.00 hdmi is no better than a $10,000.00 hdmi cable it's snake oil.I read some reviews about this gentleman's cables and people swear they are the best in the world and made a major improvement in sound and picture and a hell of allot cheaper price than Audioquest Diamonds and Wireworlds Platinum.The best part is if they don't make a difference he will refund 100% of my money back within 60 days of home trial use.I will let you know my impression on them when I get them.

How much are you paying and for what length?
post #1275 of 1445 Old 05-08-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also, do you have a link to the guy's website?

Thanks! smile.gif

Dave

post #1276 of 1445 Old 05-08-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:

Also, do you have a link to the guy's website?

Thanks! smile.gif

Hi moonhawk,

The gentlemans name is Walter Wegrzyn located in Mesa Arizona he has been making cables for 12 years. I spoke to Walter a few times and asked questions before placing an order with him he is a very nice gentleman to talk to and very aknowlegd in audio. I just got off the phone with him again a few minutes ago and asked him about his webpage he said he hasn't had time to update his webpage and he is working on it.He also cutom hand makes speaker wires,power cords and other types of cabels. I am going to give his cables a try and if they don't perform I will send them back witin 60 days he gives for in home use.Here is his phone number if you want to give him a call ask for Walter. (480) 464-5547 here is a link to his website. http://www.wallywire.com/VideoCables.html
post #1277 of 1445 Old 05-08-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

^ thanks!!

Dave

post #1278 of 1445 Old 05-08-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:

^ thanks!!

Your welcome!
post #1279 of 1445 Old 05-08-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:

How much are you paying and for what length?

I lost more money in Las Vegas in less than an hour than I am paying for these cabels! eek.gif
post #1280 of 1445 Old 05-09-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Kal, do you own a Bryston 9BSST2 and a Parasound Halo A31 in different systems? Seems I've read that somewhere in your posts or reviews.

Curious because I'm thinking of switching out my Halo A51 to the Bryston. I have zero complaints with the sonic qualities of the Halo, but the Bryston would match three other Bryston components, and would be slightly more compact, allowing me to do some rearranging I'd like to so. Also heat and power consumption concerns, as discussed here recently come into play, though not so much.

Just hoping you would be so kind as to give me some comparison. Hoping to hear I wouldn't be giving up much in the way of sound quality. My speakers are efficient, so I don't think power rating would be a concern, though if I go to a 7 channel system, I would add either a Bryston stereo amp or a pair of monoblocks.

I realize different systems means apples to oranges, but any general thoughts would be greatly appreciated. smile.gif

Dave

post #1281 of 1445 Old 05-10-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Kal, do you own a Bryston 9BSST2 and a Parasound Halo A31 in different systems? Seems I've read that somewhere in your posts or reviews.

Curious because I'm thinking of switching out my Halo A51 to the Bryston. I have zero complaints with the sonic qualities of the Halo, but the Bryston would match three other Bryston components, and would be slightly more compact, allowing me to do some rearranging I'd like to so. Also heat and power consumption concerns, as discussed here recently come into play, though not so much.

Just hoping you would be so kind as to give me some comparison. Hoping to hear I wouldn't be giving up much in the way of sound quality. My speakers are efficient, so I don't think power rating would be a concern, though if I go to a 7 channel system, I would add either a Bryston stereo amp or a pair of monoblocks.

I realize different systems means apples to oranges, but any general thoughts would be greatly appreciated. smile.gif

Yes.  I have both but in vastly different systems in significantly different rooms and that is why I am not really able to make a useful comparison.  Also, my Bryston is not the latest version.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #1282 of 1445 Old 05-10-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, thanks, Kal. smile.gif

Dave

post #1283 of 1445 Old 05-10-2014, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I lost more money in Las Vegas in less than an hour than I am paying for these cabels! eek.gif

You'll be sorry! eek.gifrolleyes.gifwink.gif
post #1284 of 1445 Old 05-10-2014, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have been fortunate in having amassed a huge collection of SACDs long before I could properly listen to them. One that I have heard for the first time tonight proved especially good. It was Mr. E by Pete Escovedo. It had a smooth easy sounding multi-channel sound that was clean and dynamic through the SP3. Out of print, I saw new and used ones on Amazon for 10 bucks. This will be a collector that can be had now for a bargain price.eek.gifwink.gif
post #1285 of 1445 Old 05-11-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:

You'll be sorry! eek.gifrolleyes.gifwink.gif

This gentleman is confident in the cables he makes I spoke to him numerous times and he gives a 60 day return policy if I am not satisfied. If the cables make a 10% inprovement I will be happy because I spent a hell of allot more in the past to get a 10% improvment.
post #1286 of 1445 Old 05-12-2014, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This gentleman is confident in the cables he makes I spoke to him numerous times and he gives a 60 day return policy if I am not satisfied. If the cables make a 10% inprovement I will be happy because I spent a hell of allot more in the past to get a 10% improvment.

Let us know when they come in and your opinion of them on video and sound.
post #1287 of 1445 Old 05-12-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:

Let us know when they come in and your opinion of them on video and sound.

I will do that he is going to ship them out tomorow they are going to need a little time to break in.The reviews I read people that have his hdmi and other types of cables claim that they are the best in the world and at a fraction of the cost of other top end cables they have tried.He added the platinum coated 99.999% silver cable option about six months ago. He also makes custom XLR cables, 8 gauge speaker cables and down to 6 gauge power cords and any other kind of cables and wires that you need. he will make them in the highest grade copper or 99.999% silver or the platinum series what ever fits your needs and buget.I spoke to Walter numerous times already and he is a pleasure to work with and a very nice gentleman.by the way Robert I propably will be gettin the 8 guage pure silver or the platinum speaker cables and XLR cables from him in the future he already said that he would send me a set to try out to see if I like them. This guy is top notch and knows his stuff when it comes to cables.
post #1288 of 1445 Old 05-12-2014, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will do that he is going to ship them out tomorow they are going to need a little time to break in.The reviews I read people that have his hdmi and other types of cables claim that they are the best in the world and at a fraction of the cost of other top end cables they have tried.He added the platinum coated 99.999% silver cable option about six months ago. He also makes custom XLR cables, 8 gauge speaker cables and down to 6 gauge power cords and any other kind of cables and wires that you need. he will make them in the highest grade copper or 99.999% silver or the platinum series what ever fits your needs and buget.I spoke to Walter numerous times already and he is a pleasure to work with and a very nice gentleman.by the way Robert I propably will be gettin the 8 guage pure silver or the platinum speaker cables and XLR cables from him in the future he already said that he would send me a set to try out to see if I like them. This guy is top notch and knows his stuff when it comes to cables.

Well you already know how I feel about digital cables. rolleyes.gif Now analog cables is a different story. All my analog cables are silver which I am told is the best conduit with the least resistance so go for it. cool.gif Don't spend all your money. smile.gif Buy that Pete Escovedo SACD while it's still available from Amazon, cheap. wink.gif It's that Ricky Recardo music, but it sounds damn good to me.biggrin.gif
post #1289 of 1445 Old 05-13-2014, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For those who sometimes enjoy playing Apple TV through their SP3 for music, things are about to improve for us. My understanding is that in the ios 8 release, Apple will be allowing the play back of hi res music at 24 bits. This is good news to me.
post #1290 of 1445 Old 05-16-2014, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tom did you get theses cables yet?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Arcam

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version