The Official Bryston SP3 Thread. - Page 47 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1381 of 1754 Old 06-18-2014, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Today, I called a respected audio dealer who sells both the Bryston SP3 and the Krell Foundation. I asked him if he'd heard both and he said yes. I further asked him which was the better processor and he stated if you like features get the Krell Foundation, but if you are a sound purist, get the Bryston SP3 as it was WAY better sounding then the Krell. I also asked him if he'd read Kal Rubinson's review of both units, and if so, why did Kal not mention this fact. His opinion was that while the Bryston way better than the Krell, the Krell does sound good and the arthor was being polite. He told me, if you can afford it, get the Bryston SP3. I could not tell him I already owned it, and I was simply fishing.
gbaby is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1382 of 1754 Old 06-18-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,600
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
I also asked him if he'd read Kal Rubinson's review of both units, and if so, why did Kal not mention this fact. His opinion was that while the Bryston way better than the Krell, the Krell does sound good and the arthor was being polite.
1. What fact?
2. How the hell would he know?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round


Last edited by Kal Rubinson; 06-18-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Kal Rubinson is online now  
post #1383 of 1754 Old 06-18-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rhale64L7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Amherst,OH
Posts: 1,566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I would hope the Bryston sounds better. It should unless all your paying for is that 20 year warranty.
There was a reviewer that rated the Krell and the Bryston neck and neck. He was German I believe.

I would love to hear the Bryston but I think that may never happen.



Ron
rhale64L7 is online now  
post #1384 of 1754 Old 06-29-2014, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Tom, whats going on with those high end cables? Any more sonic and video improvements noted?
gbaby is online now  
post #1385 of 1754 Old 07-10-2014, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Below is another stellar review of the SP3.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/proce...or-review.html
gbaby is online now  
post #1386 of 1754 Old 07-10-2014, 01:38 PM
DRC
Member
 
DRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Below is another stellar review of the SP3.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/proce...or-review.html
Great review. Its interesting that this is the 6th or 7th "professional" review that does not test the SP3 sound using a phono stage. Since I became aware that the SP3 has issues with phono last fall I have had many private emails from others with phono experiencing the issue. Yet the reviewers don't actually listen to the SP3 with a vinyl front end which is surprising since I would think if this is an "audiophile" grade pre amp many more owners would be incorporating a phono front end.
Maybe that just means I am old
DRC is offline  
post #1387 of 1754 Old 07-10-2014, 01:42 PM
Senior Member
 
dminches's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
Great review. Its interesting that this is the 6th or 7th "professional" review that does not test the SP3 sound using a phono stage. Since I became aware that the SP3 has issues with phono last fall I have had many private emails from others with phono experiencing the issue. Yet the reviewers don't actually listen to the SP3 with a vinyl front end which is surprising since I would think if this is an "audiophile" grade pre amp many more owners would be incorporating a phono front end.
Maybe that just means I am old
I think you have made an excellent point. I would think that someone who claims to be reviewing this for audiophiles would test a phono source. Given that Bryston claims to have fixed the issue I wouldn't think that would be the reason why it hasn't been tested.

David M.
dminches is offline  
post #1388 of 1754 Old 07-10-2014, 01:51 PM
DRC
Member
 
DRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
I think you have made an excellent point. I would think that someone who claims to be reviewing this for audiophiles would test a phono source. Given that Bryston claims to have fixed the issue I wouldn't think that would be the reason why it hasn't been tested.
Who told you it was fixed? Bryston told me they would only apply the fix to units in the field on an as needed basis. They said they would not incorporate the fix into new production units.
Did you get yours fixed yet?
DRC is offline  
post #1389 of 1754 Old 07-10-2014, 01:54 PM
Senior Member
 
dminches's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
Who told you it was fixed? Bryston told me they would only apply the fix to units in the field on an as needed basis. They said they would not incorporate the fix into new production units.
Did you get yours fixed yet?
When I spoke to them they told me that they had a fix. I assumed they tested it. I have not had mine fixed because I don't want to be without it for multi-channel and I don't know when I would ever use my SP3 for 2 channel audio. I use a separate 2 channel preamp for analog. I was thinking of having it fixed when I go on vacation this summer.

David M.
dminches is offline  
post #1390 of 1754 Old 07-10-2014, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
Great review. Its interesting that this is the 6th or 7th "professional" review that does not test the SP3 sound using a phono stage. Since I became aware that the SP3 has issues with phono last fall I have had many private emails from others with phono experiencing the issue. Yet the reviewers don't actually listen to the SP3 with a vinyl front end which is surprising since I would think if this is an "audiophile" grade pre amp many more owners would be incorporating a phono front end.
Maybe that just means I am old
I agree with you. Not that you are getting old, but rather, its strange no one tested the SP3 using its analog imput for a phono pre-amp. I also notice the reviewer used the Oppo BDP-105 for testing, but I do not recall reading his comparison of the analog outs of the Oppo vs. the D/A converter of the SP3. In any event, as good as the review was for the unit, nothing, so far, exceed the review done by Kal Rubinson in my humble opinion.
gbaby is online now  
post #1391 of 1754 Old 07-13-2014, 07:51 AM
Member
 
tikitom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Tom, whats going on with those high end cables? Any more sonic and video improvements noted?

Sorry for replying so late Gbaby.I been busy lately and have not been on the computer much.This is how the story goes.I sent them back to him I couldn't tell a difference after all it was placebo effect. I had alot on my mind when I went to UPS and didn't think about getting shipping insurance on the hdmi cables since there is nothing breakable and the girl never mentioned it to me like they always do when I ship something.Walter claims he wasn't home when UPS delivered them back to him and claims they were stolen off of his front porch so I don't know if he is telling the truth or he scammed me out of $2,000,00 I am pissed about the whole situation.
tikitom is offline  
post #1392 of 1754 Old 07-13-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rhale64L7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Amherst,OH
Posts: 1,566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitom View Post
Sorry for replying so late Gbaby.I been busy lately and have not been on the computer much.This is how the story goes.I sent them back to him I couldn't tell a difference after all it was placebo effect. I had alot on my mind when I went to UPS and didn't think about getting shipping insurance on the hdmi cables since there is nothing breakable and the girl never mentioned it to me like they always do when I ship something.Walter claims he wasn't home when UPS delivered them back to him and claims they were stolen off of his front porch so I don't know if he is telling the truth or he scammed me out of $2,000,00 I am pissed about the whole situation.
Wow this sucks. I hope this all ends up better for you. I have always wondered why this stealing off the porch thing doesn't happen more often. But I have never had it happen.
But my son had a scammer try to take him for a ride on a projector he sold. The guy said he never got it. My son had his signature showing that he himself signed for it. But paypal still sided with the buyer. Because my son obtained the proof through not normal means. He wouldn't have had access to the proof if his mother in law were not the main clerk at the post office he shipped it from.
rhale64L7 is online now  
post #1393 of 1754 Old 07-13-2014, 09:02 AM
Member
 
tikitom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
Wow this sucks. I hope this all ends up better for you. I have always wondered why this stealing off the porch thing doesn't happen more often. But I have never had it happen.
But my son had a scammer try to take him for a ride on a projector he sold. The guy said he never got it. My son had his signature showing that he himself signed for it. But paypal still sided with the buyer. Because my son obtained the proof through not normal means. He wouldn't have had access to the proof if his mother in law were not the main clerk at the post office he shipped it from.
I was hoping it would work out for the better also but it doesn't look like it is I just keep trying to think I lost it on a hand of Blackjack in Vegas because there is nothing I can do about it.It is just tererible the theifs and dishonest people in this world we live in they need to get a real job and see what it's like to work for a living.
tikitom is offline  
post #1394 of 1754 Old 07-13-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 22,190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitom View Post
Sorry for replying so late Gbaby.I been busy lately and have not been on the computer much.This is how the story goes.I sent them back to him I couldn't tell a difference after all it was placebo effect. I had alot on my mind when I went to UPS and didn't think about getting shipping insurance on the hdmi cables since there is nothing breakable and the girl never mentioned it to me like they always do when I ship something.Walter claims he wasn't home when UPS delivered them back to him and claims they were stolen off of his front porch so I don't know if he is telling the truth or he scammed me out of $2,000,00 I am pissed about the whole situation.
I am willing to bet when you initially got them since you reported you were blown away he probably spent the funds immediately not expecting you to change your mind. Can you somehow change feedback already left?

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
joerod is online now  
post #1395 of 1754 Old 07-13-2014, 09:52 AM
Member
 
tikitom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
I am willing to bet when you initially got them since you reported you were blown away he probably spent the funds immediately not expecting you to change your mind. Can you somehow change feedback already left?
Hi Joe, I wish I would have listened to you in the first place.I never left any feedback about Walters hdmi cables Just on the SP3 site we discussed them and everybody was right it is placebo effect I had to find out the hard way.
tikitom is offline  
post #1396 of 1754 Old 07-13-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 22,190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I won't take up the SP3 thread with ideas of what to do next. Hang in there I am sure there is a solution.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
joerod is online now  
post #1397 of 1754 Old 07-14-2014, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitom View Post
Sorry for replying so late Gbaby.I been busy lately and have not been on the computer much.This is how the story goes.I sent them back to him I couldn't tell a difference after all it was placebo effect. I had alot on my mind when I went to UPS and didn't think about getting shipping insurance on the hdmi cables since there is nothing breakable and the girl never mentioned it to me like they always do when I ship something.Walter claims he wasn't home when UPS delivered them back to him and claims they were stolen off of his front porch so I don't know if he is telling the truth or he scammed me out of $2,000,00 I am pissed about the whole situation.
I'm pissed off for you. I do not believe Walter. How in the heck can they be stolen. Can you get proof from UPS they were acutally delivered? I would not take this, and if he has a site, I'd blast the heck out of him and his product hin a negative way.
gbaby is online now  
post #1398 of 1754 Old 07-14-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
I won't take up the SP3 thread with ideas of what to do next. Hang in there I am sure there is a solution.
Don't worry about taking up this thread. Help Tom if you can with any suggestions.
gbaby is online now  
post #1399 of 1754 Old 07-14-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 22,190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I sent him messages last night basically stating he (Walter) needs to do a police report and then contact his homeowner's insurance. Ups shows Delivered so Tom did his part and once it is left at Walter's it is his responsibility. It is the same as if it happened a day later and someone broke in and stole them. Possession is the key and since they weren't "stolen" or lost by ups and were delivered it is his problem not Tom's.

On a side note I really doubt they were stolen. It had been a couple weeks and he figured Tom was happy and would not return them. He spent the money and just doesn't have the funds for a refund. He figured Tom paid by check (not PayPal) and didn't get direct signature in the return. Perfect for him to try this "stolen" story!

And we all know the real cost of these cables is not even close to 2K! Tom has legal options and I would start them if he does not make restitution immediately.
CruelInventions likes this.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
joerod is online now  
post #1400 of 1754 Old 07-14-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CruelInventions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 4,650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Sounds fishy to me too. While it (porch theft) is certainly possible and does happen, it is fairly rare. For example, I've sold stuff on the side on both Ebay and Amazon for at least a decade. In that time I've must have had at least a few hundred packages left by the door/front porch. Never once had a theft incident.

Unless the box/package somehow communicated that it was a high value item, I'd be even less inclined to think it was a theft scenario. Luckiest thief in the world? Possible I suppose. But if I were a thief, two things would motivate me to steal. A) easy opportunity and B) good likelihood that the item has high value. A nondescript small box with a few cables doesn't sound like "B".

As far as motivation "A", I would take a look at his residence from Google Earth. Some residences are clearly detailed. Scarily so. You can get a real good idea just how opportune a theft scenario might have been just by checking it out that way. A short driveway with good surrounding cover and fewer homes surrounding the property (with fewer potential eyes to notice a stranger) would probably be the best situation for a thief.


CruelInventions is offline  
post #1401 of 1754 Old 07-14-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 22,190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 128
And after talking with Tom again the seller claims he found the package in a back alley ripped open. The more he digs the more it sounds like pure BS. And checking his audiogon page it appears he has only had 3 transactions in 12 months. That would be more motivation to pull a stunt like this. I would fly out there to get my money back!

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
joerod is online now  
post #1402 of 1754 Old 07-15-2014, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
And after talking with Tom again the seller claims he found the package in a back alley ripped open. The more he digs the more it sounds like pure BS. And checking his audiogon page it appears he has only had 3 transactions in 12 months. That would be more motivation to pull a stunt like this. I would fly out there to get my money back!
Thanks for the follow up. I just hope Tom receives full restitution.
gbaby is online now  
post #1403 of 1754 Old 07-23-2014, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I write this post to corroborate information I shared previously regarding the need for an SACD player to be able to play back SACD at a sampling rate of 176/24 vs. 88/24 on the Bryston SP3.. A review of the Rolling Stones SACD, Let It Bleed, was done listening to both the 88/24 and 176/24 with the 88/24 sampling rate sounding very digital compared to the 176/24 sampling rate. You can read the review below.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...-let-it-bleed/
gbaby is online now  
post #1404 of 1754 Old 07-23-2014, 12:09 PM
Senior Member
 
BigHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arlington, VA 22204
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
USB Upgrade

Gbaby,
What's up? Hope you're still enjoying the SP3 as much as I am. Or maybe I should say as much as I am despite no USB card upgrade.

You stay pretty plugged in on this. Bryston still blowing this off or have you heard of an iota of progress?
BigHat is offline  
post #1405 of 1754 Old 07-23-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rhale64L7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Amherst,OH
Posts: 1,566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Thanks gbaby. Interesting information there.
rhale64L7 is online now  
post #1406 of 1754 Old 07-23-2014, 05:45 PM
Member
 
tikitom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thank you for the information and concern guys. I finally was able to get Walter to make a police report.
tikitom is offline  
post #1407 of 1754 Old 07-23-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rhale64L7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Amherst,OH
Posts: 1,566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Good deal. Hopefully you will get your money back. Thats a bunch of cash gone.
rhale64L7 is online now  
post #1408 of 1754 Old 07-24-2014, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Gbaby,
What's up? Hope you're still enjoying the SP3 as much as I am. Or maybe I should say as much as I am despite no USB card upgrade.

You stay pretty plugged in on this. Bryston still blowing this off or have you heard of an iota of progress?
Big Hat, I am still enjoying the SP3, but, I enjoy the music playing through it better. And, no, I have not heard anything regarding the USB card upgrade, but to be honest, I'm mostly unconcerned. The reason is that should I decide to use USB, I will get an outboard unit with a D/A converter designed for DSD. For some reason, and I may be wrong, I don't think you can have it both ways, i.e., a great PCM D/A converter and a great DSD D/A converter.
gbaby is online now  
post #1409 of 1754 Old 07-24-2014, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
Thanks gbaby. Interesting information there.

My pleasure as always. Did you get that Foundation back?
gbaby is online now  
post #1410 of 1754 Old 07-24-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rhale64L7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Amherst,OH
Posts: 1,566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
My pleasure as always. Did you get that Foundation back?
No that and my new amp should be here by next weekend. I am overly excited.

This time around I got the newer version with dsd and double dsd on it. I cant wait.

I also paid for the 4k upgrade that is coming out in advance. It has all the latest specs hdmi 2.0 hdcp 2.2. I hope I dont regret that one. But I got a great once in a lifetime deal by buying all this as a package.
rhale64L7 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Arcam

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off