The Official Bryston SP3 Thread. - Page 47 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1381 of 1390 Old 06-18-2014, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Today, I called a respected audio dealer who sells both the Bryston SP3 and the Krell Foundation. I asked him if he'd heard both and he said yes. I further asked him which was the better processor and he stated if you like features get the Krell Foundation, but if you are a sound purist, get the Bryston SP3 as it was WAY better sounding then the Krell. I also asked him if he'd read Kal Rubinson's review of both units, and if so, why did Kal not mention this fact. His opinion was that while the Bryston way better than the Krell, the Krell does sound good and the arthor was being polite. He told me, if you can afford it, get the Bryston SP3. I could not tell him I already owned it, and I was simply fishing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1390 Old 06-18-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
I also asked him if he'd read Kal Rubinson's review of both units, and if so, why did Kal not mention this fact. His opinion was that while the Bryston way better than the Krell, the Krell does sound good and the arthor was being polite.
1. What fact?
2. How the hell would he know?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Last edited by Kal Rubinson; 06-18-2014 at 07:33 PM.
post #1383 of 1390 Old 06-18-2014, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I would hope the Bryston sounds better. It should unless all your paying for is that 20 year warranty.
There was a reviewer that rated the Krell and the Bryston neck and neck. He was German I believe.

I would love to hear the Bryston but I think that may never happen.

Ron
post #1384 of 1390 Old 06-29-2014, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tom, whats going on with those high end cables? Any more sonic and video improvements noted?
post #1385 of 1390 Old Yesterday, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Below is another stellar review of the SP3.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/proce...or-review.html
post #1386 of 1390 Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM
DRC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Below is another stellar review of the SP3.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/proce...or-review.html
Great review. Its interesting that this is the 6th or 7th "professional" review that does not test the SP3 sound using a phono stage. Since I became aware that the SP3 has issues with phono last fall I have had many private emails from others with phono experiencing the issue. Yet the reviewers don't actually listen to the SP3 with a vinyl front end which is surprising since I would think if this is an "audiophile" grade pre amp many more owners would be incorporating a phono front end.
Maybe that just means I am old
post #1387 of 1390 Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
Great review. Its interesting that this is the 6th or 7th "professional" review that does not test the SP3 sound using a phono stage. Since I became aware that the SP3 has issues with phono last fall I have had many private emails from others with phono experiencing the issue. Yet the reviewers don't actually listen to the SP3 with a vinyl front end which is surprising since I would think if this is an "audiophile" grade pre amp many more owners would be incorporating a phono front end.
I think you have made an excellent point. I would think that someone who claims to be reviewing this for audiophiles would test a phono source. Given that Bryston claims to have fixed the issue I wouldn't think that would be the reason why it hasn't been tested.

David M.
post #1388 of 1390 Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM
DRC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
I think you have made an excellent point. I would think that someone who claims to be reviewing this for audiophiles would test a phono source. Given that Bryston claims to have fixed the issue I wouldn't think that would be the reason why it hasn't been tested.
Who told you it was fixed? Bryston told me they would only apply the fix to units in the field on an as needed basis. They said they would not incorporate the fix into new production units.
Did you get yours fixed yet?
post #1389 of 1390 Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Who told you it was fixed? Bryston told me they would only apply the fix to units in the field on an as needed basis. They said they would not incorporate the fix into new production units.
Did you get yours fixed yet?
When I spoke to them they told me that they had a fix. I assumed they tested it. I have not had mine fixed because I don't want to be without it for multi-channel and I don't know when I would ever use my SP3 for 2 channel audio. I use a separate 2 channel preamp for analog. I was thinking of having it fixed when I go on vacation this summer.

David M.
post #1390 of 1390 Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I agree with you. Not that you are getting old, but rather, its strange no one tested the SP3 using its analog imput for a phono pre-amp. I also notice the reviewer used the Oppo BDP-105 for testing, but I do not recall reading his comparison of the analog outs of the Oppo vs. the D/A converter of the SP3. In any event, as good as the review was for the unit, nothing, so far, exceed the review done by Kal Rubinson in my humble opinion.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Arcam

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page