post #1411 of 1430 Old 07-24-2014, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
No that and my new amp should be here by next weekend. I am overly excited.

This time around I got the newer version with dsd and double dsd on it. I cant wait.

I also paid for the 4k upgrade that is coming out in advance. It has all the latest specs hdmi 2.0 hdcp 2.2. I hope I dont regret that one. But I got a great once in a lifetime deal by buying all this as a package.
Good things come to those who wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1430 Old 07-24-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Thank you. Now just have to repair the damage done by my water line leak from my fridge. Just the ceiling and bottom 1 foot of an 5 ft section of drywall. Hard part will be getting the insulation back up through the wall. Ceiling I was going to change anyhow. Just have to do it sooner now. Lol
post #1413 of 1430 Old 07-24-2014, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
I write this post to corroborate information I shared previously regarding the need for an SACD player to be able to play back SACD at a sampling rate of 176/24 vs. 88/24 on the Bryston SP3.. A review of the Rolling Stones SACD, Let It Bleed, was done listening to both the 88/24 and 176/24 with the 88/24 sampling rate sounding very digital compared to the 176/24 sampling rate. You can read the review below.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...-let-it-bleed/
I must add to my own post that a glaring omission from either a processor like the SP3 or the Foundation as well as high end
SACD players is the ability to change from PCM 88.2 and 176 sampling rate. The reason this is needed is that if you have a 2 channel SACD, you cannot play it in 5.1 or 7.1 surround should you opt to do so which I always do because 176.4 in native 2 channel cannot be changed to 5 or 7.1. Only the old PS3 can change the sampling rate. A processor or SACD player should also have this capability.
post #1414 of 1430 Old 07-24-2014, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
I write this post to corroborate information I shared previously regarding the need for an SACD player to be able to play back SACD at a sampling rate of 176/24 vs. 88/24 on the Bryston SP3.. A review of the Rolling Stones SACD, Let It Bleed, was done listening to both the 88/24 and 176/24 with the 88/24 sampling rate sounding very digital compared to the 176/24 sampling rate. You can read the review below.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...-let-it-bleed/

Could be an interesting experiment for you.

Mourning the disappearance of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #1415 of 1430 Old 07-25-2014, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
Thanks for the link, but I have already done my own experiment. I have two of the same SACDs and put one in the PS3 using 88.2/24 sampling rate and the other in a Sony with a 176/24 sampling rate. I could easily detect that the 176/24 was superior in that the mid to high frequencies sounded smoother with no digital hint at all. The sound is more relaxed and borders analog to the point that I do not think that I can afford a phono pre-amp, turntable and cartride to sound as good as the 176/24 sampling rate.
post #1416 of 1430 Old 07-25-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Thanks for the link, but I have already done my own experiment. I have two of the same SACDs and put one in the PS3 using 88.2/24 sampling rate and the other in a Sony with a 176/24 sampling rate. I could easily detect that the 176/24 was superior in that the mid to high frequencies sounded smoother with no digital hint at all. The sound is more relaxed and borders analog to the point that I do not think that I can afford a phono pre-amp, turntable and cartride to sound as good as the 176/24 sampling rate.
Thats my take on the hirez files also. Before them I needed analog. I couldn't stand the digital harshness. I was devastated to learn that sacd and dvd audio discs weren't going to make it. But with these new hirez files I no longer need analog.
post #1417 of 1430 Old 07-25-2014, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
That was more likely a comparison of the 2 SACD players and not the different resoluions.

What SACD did you listen to?

Did you analyze the SACD to see if there was even any information to warrant 176?

David M.
post #1418 of 1430 Old 07-26-2014, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
That was more likely a comparison of the 2 SACD players and not the different resoluions.

What SACD did you listen to?

Did you analyze the SACD to see if there was even any information to warrant 176?
Hello David! I do not think the two different SACD players were at play as opposed to different resolutions in that I am using HDMI on both which means I am using the D/A converter on the processor. However, the only reason I used the PS3 is that it is the only means I have to to pick 88.2 sampling rate. However, even with this, I could hear a difference on the PS3 when I selected out of curiosity 176.4 sampling rate on the PS3 and again I went back to 88.2 on it. I used seperate players just to make sure I could switch back and forth quicker. The sonic difference was obvious to me without having to strain to hear the difference. The SACDs I used were "The Bridge" by Hiroshima, and "Night Sessions" by Chris Botti. I remember that you had the Oppo SACD player, a fine unit, but you will never be able to appreciate 176.4 on it as it is incapable of playing it by design. I think you are depriving yourself of the sonic advantage of176.4, which can be heard on your resolving system, by not getting an inexpensive Sony blu-ray SACD player that can playback 176.4. I have no stock in Sony.
post #1419 of 1430 Old 07-26-2014, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Big Hat, I am still enjoying the SP3, but, I enjoy the music playing through it better. And, no, I have not heard anything regarding the USB card upgrade, but to be honest, I'm mostly unconcerned. The reason is that should I decide to use USB, I will get an outboard unit with a D/A converter designed for DSD. For some reason, and I may be wrong, I don't think you can have it both ways, i.e., a great PCM D/A converter and a great DSD D/A converter.
Well i guess it does depend on your approach, but the updated card is VERY important to me. I use a MacBook Pro running Amarra software into a Ayre USB DAC and then into the SP3 as analog stereo. I can only use the installed USB card for non-high res music, so I lose all multichannel and processing opportunities for a good deal of my music collection until Bryston gets off its ass and does what they said they were on the cusp of doing over a year ago.
post #1420 of 1430 Old 07-26-2014, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Well i guess it does depend on your approach, but the updated card is VERY important to me. I use a MacBook Pro running Amarra software into a Ayre USB DAC and then into the SP3 as analog stereo. I can only use the installed USB card for non-high res music, so I lose all multichannel and processing opportunities for a good deal of my music collection until Bryston gets off its ass and does what they said they were on the cusp of doing over a year ago.
I think I remember reading that Bryston went back to the drawing board on its USB port in order to accomodate DSD. In any case, it will only playback 2 channel so multichannel DSD is out the question. I'm just glad that I had purchased my hundreds of SACDs years ago even though I did not have the capability to hear them played by right unit the SP3. I have not had the need so far to use hi res downloads.
post #1421 of 1430 Old 07-26-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I think I remember reading that Bryston went back to the drawing board on its USB port in order to accomodate DSD. In any case, it will only playback 2 channel so multichannel DSD is out the question. I'm just glad that I had purchased my hundreds of SACDs years ago even though I did not have the capability to hear them played by right unit the SP3. I have not had the need so far to use hi res downloads.
Taking 2 ch and manipulating it into 5.1 with DSD is what I want. Being able to do the same thing I do now with Red Book CDs with 96/24 files from HD Tracks, etc is the aim and the USB card should do that, IF they ever update the card.
post #1422 of 1430 Old 07-26-2014, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Halloo, gents:

I agree that the long-overdue card would be very useful. I use Bryston's BDP2 digital player and BDA2 DAC through the Balanced 2 input of the SP3, and the sound is fantastic in two-channel. Multi-channel would be a marvelous enhancement and, as Kal has pointed out in his writings, multi-channel hi-res files are becoming more widely available.

Otherwise, nothing to add to your discussions, which I follow regularly. I've been enjoying the SP3 greatly, most recently with the music noted below.

Cheerio,

RJ

192/24 downloads
Fischer: Stravinsky - Rite of Spring/Firebird Suite
Van Morrison: Astral Weeks
Stevie Wonder: Songs in the Key of Life
Van Morrison: Moondance

96/24 downloads
Band on the Run (uncompressed)
Nickel Creek: A Dotted Line
Paul Simon: So Beautiful or So What
Santana III
Diana Krall: All for You

Mehta: Wagner - Ring cycle (Valencia) [DTS HD-MA 7.1]
Jordan: Wagner - TannhaĆ¼ser [DTS HD-MA 7.1]
Jurowski: Wagner - Meistersinger [DTS-HD MA 5.1]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Morrison Astral Weeks.jpg (7.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Morrison Moondance.jpg (8.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Wonder Songs in the Key of Life.jpg (8.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Simon So Beautiful or So What.jpg (7.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Nickel Creek Dotted Line.jpg (4.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Santana III.jpg (9.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Jordan Tannhauser.jpg (6.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Jurowski Meistersinger.jpg (9.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Fischer Stravinsky Rite of Spring.jpg (6.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Band on the Run (Uncompressed).jpg (6.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Krall All for You.jpg (7.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Mehta Ring.jpg (7.6 KB, 2 views)

Eschew obfuscation.
post #1423 of 1430 Old 07-27-2014, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Taking 2 ch and manipulating it into 5.1 with DSD is what I want. Being able to do the same thing I do now with Red Book CDs with 96/24 files from HD Tracks, etc is the aim and the USB card should do that, IF they ever update the card.
I'm not quite understanding your post. Are you saying you are taking 2 channel 96/24 files from downloads and converting them to 5.1 or are you getting 2 channel 96/24 files on CD and converting it to 5.1?
post #1424 of 1430 Old 07-27-2014, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoThere View Post
Halloo, gents:

I agree that the long-overdue card would be very useful. I use Bryston's BDP2 digital player and BDA2 DAC through the Balanced 2 input of the SP3, and the sound is fantastic in two-channel. Multi-channel would be a marvelous enhancement and, as Kal has pointed out in his writings, multi-channel hi-res files are becoming more widely available.

Otherwise, nothing to add to your discussions, which I follow regularly. I've been enjoying the SP3 greatly, most recently with the music noted below.

Cheerio,

RJ

192/24 downloads
Fischer: Stravinsky - Rite of Spring/Firebird Suite
Van Morrison: Astral Weeks
Stevie Wonder: Songs in the Key of Life
Van Morrison: Moondance

96/24 downloads
Band on the Run (uncompressed)
Nickel Creek: A Dotted Line
Paul Simon: So Beautiful or So What
Santana III
Diana Krall: All for You

Mehta: Wagner - Ring cycle (Valencia) [DTS HD-MA 7.1]
Jordan: Wagner - TannhaĆ¼ser [DTS HD-MA 7.1]
Jurowski: Wagner - Meistersinger [DTS-HD MA 5.1]
The USB upgrade won't help you at all. You already own it.
post #1425 of 1430 Old 07-28-2014, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
There is no update that will enable 5.1 processing of a 2-ch DSD source. It has to be converted to PCM first, so you may as well do that before handing it over to the SP-3. Amarra can do it for you.
post #1426 of 1430 Old 07-28-2014, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
There is no update that will enable 5.1 processing of a 2-ch DSD source. It has to be converted to PCM first, so you may as well do that before handing it over to the SP-3. Amarra can do it for you.
I'm sure I'm responsible for the misperception. Sorry. There is no question, however, that you can take a 44/16 digital feed directly from a Mac laptop, input it to the SP3 via the USB and avail yourself of the custom SP3 Surround Modes. Yes, it's a set of simulated surround sound signals (Club, Neo 6, etc) from the original left and right 2 channel data, but you can do it. I thought it would be assumed with this crowd I was referring to matrix surround and not true 5.1. That said, it sounds pretty good. Gbaby, haven't you commented on this before and that you liked it?

My point is that the upgraded USB card is supposed to allow me to do the same with 96/24 and above music. Now I'm not saying that that is the best overall solution, but right now I have to use a USB outboard DAC (Arye) send analog 2ch into the SP3 if I want a single input that allows ALL the music on my MAC (norm and high res) available. That's the point of the upgraded card isn't it, to accept the high res input? What else would be the point?
post #1427 of 1430 Old 07-28-2014, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
.... That's the point of the upgraded card isn't it, to accept the high res input? What else would be the point?
I guess that would be the point of the upgraded USB card, high res input. Currently, I am not using USB, outboard or otherwise, for high res due to an ownership of an overwhelming amount of SACDs. I cannot justify ordering the same music on download high res sites. In fact, every high res download I've seen of music is already owned by me in SACD so does it make sense to buy it again? And you are right, at least you could convert the 2 channel USB signal to 5.1 or 7.1 DPLIIx music which to me sounds better than regular 2 channel on the SP3.
post #1428 of 1430 Old 07-28-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
And you are right, at least you could convert the 2 channel USB signal to 5.1 or 7.1 DPLIIx music which to me sounds better than regular 2 channel on the SP3.
Well, you're the guy that got me to try it and I agree with you so much I want to make it my default 2 ch approach. With the new card I will be able to...someday.
gbaby likes this.
post #1429 of 1430 Old 07-28-2014, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, you're the guy that got me to try it and I agree with you so much I want to make it my default 2 ch approach. With the new card I will be able to...someday.
WOW! This is the first time that you revealed you tried 2 channel to 5.1 or 7.1 DPLIIx music. I'm so hooked, that when I try to listen to 2 channel, it seems the sound stage collapes. Thanks.
post #1430 of 1430 Old Today, 12:57 PM

Quote:
WOW! This is the first time that you revealed you tried 2 channel to 5.1 or 7.1 DPLIIx music. I'm so hooked, that when I try to listen to 2 channel, it seems the sound stage collapes. Thanks.
Yep,
I tried it and liked it a LOT! Much better simulated surround than my Lexicon MC-12 HD. Of course, it didn't take too long to launch a high-res song only to discover the USB card couldn't handle it.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Arcam

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page