Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1441 of 1451 Old 08-18-2014, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Has anyone actually used the USB port on the SP3? How do you make music play through it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1451 Old 08-18-2014, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Has anyone actually used the USB port on the SP3? How do you make music play through it?
Huh? Maybe I'm missing something (sorry in advance if I am have) but haven't I discussed at length above? Out of a MacBook Pro, playing music using iTunes for organization and Amarra decoding software. Works great as long as you don't push it to high res content because the card can't deal with it. It couldn't be easier to do and if Bryston ever does what they said they would do well over a year ago we'll have an updated card option. Until then I'll send audio (of all resolutions) to a USB DAC (Ayre QB9) that can handle it and then send it via 2-ch analog to the SP-3.
post #1443 of 1451 Old 08-19-2014, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Huh? Maybe I'm missing something (sorry in advance if I am have) but haven't I discussed at length above? Out of a MacBook Pro, playing music using iTunes for organization and Amarra decoding software. Works great as long as you don't push it to high res content because the card can't deal with it. It couldn't be easier to do and if Bryston ever does what they said they would do well over a year ago we'll have an updated card option. Until then I'll send audio (of all resolutions) to a USB DAC (Ayre QB9) that can handle it and then send it via 2-ch analog to the SP-3.
If you posted anything regarding using USB on the SP3, it would have been a post I would not have read. The reason is that I have never been interested in playing music using USB, but only recently got curious. I'll admit that I do no read every post, even on this thread, because I am in a discipline wherein I cannot absorb everything. Regardless, I did research the Amarra since your post, and I find it quite an expensive route costing in excess of $600.00 for the software. For now, I will stick with Apple TV because while it is not the ultimate sonic experience, its an enjoyable sonic experience that I can live with for now, and its convenient in that I can stream music wherever I have an Apple TV. Between Apple TV and my SACD players, I'm not missing too much. I may re-visit USB in the future, but for now, I'm content. I am considering buying the Bryston phono pre-amp as soon as I hear from Bryston on whether or not I need to send the unit in for modications so it won't have that "popping" that was noted by a forum member when using a phono pre-amp.
post #1444 of 1451 Old 08-19-2014, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
If you posted anything regarding using USB on the SP3, it would have been a post I would not have read. The reason is that I have never been interested in playing music using USB, but only recently got curious. I'll admit that I do no read every post, even on this thread, because I am in a discipline wherein I cannot absorb everything. Regardless, I did research the Amarra since your post, and I find it quite an expensive route costing in excess of $600.00 for the software. For now, I will stick with Apple TV because while it is not the ultimate sonic experience, its an enjoyable sonic experience that I can live with for now, and its convenient in that I can stream music wherever I have an Apple TV. Between Apple TV and my SACD players, I'm not missing too much. I may re-visit USB in the future, but for now, I'm content. I am considering buying the Bryston phono pre-amp as soon as I hear from Bryston on whether or not I need to send the unit in for modications so it won't have that "popping" that was noted by a forum member when using a phono pre-amp.
We have direct conversations on this topic multiple times. You only have to scroll back a couple of pages to read the most recent one. You doing okay?
post #1445 of 1451 Old 08-19-2014, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
We have direct conversations on this topic multiple times. You only have to scroll back a couple of pages to read the most recent one. You doing okay?
Everything is fine. I saw the post, and I guess my focus was DSD over USB or something to that effect. When you started talking specifics, I guess my brain shut down.
post #1446 of 1451 Old 08-28-2014, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am sadden to report that the dealer I purchased my SP3 from, the HiFi House, has gone out of business. They had three stores with one being in Jenkinstown, outside Philly. It was a great store with knowledgeable salesmen. The store was in effect, an audiophile heaven. The days of audiophiles, dealers and equipment seem to be numbered.
post #1447 of 1451 Old 08-28-2014, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I didn't realize that all the stores closed. Did you ever deal with Jack Rubinstein? I bought my first real system from him.
post #1448 of 1451 Old 08-28-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
I am sadden to report that the dealer I purchased my SP3 from, the HiFi House, has gone out of business. They had three stores with one being in Jenkinstown, outside Philly. It was a great store with knowledgeable salesmen. The store was in effect, an audiophile heaven. The days of audiophiles, dealers and equipment seem to be numbered.
It really is sad. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how to have a local shop where you can audition and survive in today's (and tomorrow's?) business climate but so far no luck. I think where you do it on the side out of your house may be one of the few viable methods left. Sorry to hear.
post #1449 of 1451 Old Yesterday, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
I didn't realize that all the stores closed. Did you ever deal with Jack Rubinstein? I bought my first real system from him.
Unfortunately, I do not recall meeting him. And, the fact that all the stores closed speaks volumes about the future of the Hi Fi industry. This store was lacking nothing. In fact, it was akin to a HiFi Disneyland.

Last edited by gbaby; Yesterday at 03:06 PM.
post #1450 of 1451 Old Yesterday, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
It really is sad. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how to have a local shop where you can audition and survive in today's (and tomorrow's?) business climate but so far no luck. I think where you do it on the side out of your house may be one of the few viable methods left. Sorry to hear.
I think the future in audio will be that customers will have to deal direct with the manufacturer. The HiFi House was a great method of hearing the SP3, but when I needed any service, I dealt directly with Bryston, and I always had a favorable experience with instantaneous results. Dealers may be a thing of the past.
post #1451 of 1451 Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I think the future in audio will be that customers will have to deal direct with the manufacturer. The HiFi House was a great method of hearing the SP3, but when I needed any service, I dealt directly with Bryston, and I always had a favorable experience with instantaneous results. Dealers may be a thing of the past.
I think you're right, gbaby. In the San Francisco Bay Area, I couldn't find a dealer who stocked/demoed the SP3 and other Bryston gear I was interested in, so I ended up getting it from a great dealer in Minnesota who provided far better service than the local guys. The audio dealers in my area are typically arrogant, uninformed order-takers. While one might order electronics on faith after consulting reviews and other information, the loss of the ability to audition high-end speakers is a real problem. I'd suggested to Bryston that they develop a certified users group, where owners of the gear would be trained by Bryston and demo the products in their homes to prospective, serious customers. Legacy Speakers did this when they were developing their brand. UG members shouldn't be paid, in my view, to keep things as objective as possible, but Bryston might offer minor perks for active participants. What we may see is regional dealers, where one must fly in and spend a day or two for demos; some high-end stores offer the customer a night's lodging to encourage this sort of thing. My view of the likelihood, though, is your view that factory-direct, internet-only may be the way of future sales structures. We used to have wonderful dealers in SF during the golden age of hi-fi, but things have gone the way of computer technology . . . you're on your own.

Cheerio,

RJ

Eschew obfuscation.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Arcam

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page