The Official Bryston SP3 Thread. - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1531 of 1556 Old 10-20-2014, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A useful tool, Gbaby, is the new Manic Moose manual for the BDP-2: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...e%20Manual.pdf

It explains the features and operations of this new firmware.

Also, Bryston has its own support forum, which covers the SP3, BDP, and other products: http://support.bryston.com/forum/

Happy listening,

RJ

Eschew obfuscation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1556 Old 10-21-2014, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoThere View Post
A useful tool, Gbaby, is the new Manic Moose manual for the BDP-2: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...e%20Manual.pdf

It explains the features and operations of this new firmware.

Also, Bryston has its own support forum, which covers the SP3, BDP, and other products: http://support.bryston.com/forum/

Happy listening,

RJ
Thanks Rich. You saved me a lot of research time, and I have already downloaded the manic moose manual which I needed. I'd never seen the Bryston tech support site so thanks for it, too.
post #1533 of 1556 Old 10-22-2014, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
Either way, his perspective is subjective just like the rest of us. The only thing that matters is if you like it.

Personally, there are only 1 or 2 people whose opinions on sound mean anything to me and that's because we have spent tons of time together listening to the same music on the same system. Thus, I have a reference point. It isn't a personal thing. I just need to fully understand what someone else likes in order to make their opinion useful.
Hello David. I am writing this post specifically for you because I know you are a dedicated and informed vinyl man with a great ear. But, I must tell you about my recent experience of having purchased the Bryston BDP-2 digital audio player. This player is absolutely the greatest gear for sonic improvement I have owned in my life. I was successful at loading on a flash drive about 300 compositions from red book CDs. Never have I heard music sound so good through the SP3. And, this is music at 44.1/16. I am getting my files from aiff encoded music from my CD collection that I import to iTunes. Last night, I stayed up until 4:00 a.m. (sober listening to the BDP-2, and cannot wait to get home to begin the task of encoding my almost 2k CDs on the BDP-2. Please excuse my enthusiasm, but owning the BDP-2 is simply a required purchase if you want to get the maximum enjoyment for music from the SP3. I am using the SP3's AES digital input, and now I know why the SP3 cost so much. It is fundamentally professional gear as you do not get AES digital inputs in most processors, even the highly regarded Krell Foundation. Please avail yourself to the BDP-2 and you won't be disappointed. A D/A converter is not required as the SP3's D/A converter works quite well, thank you.
post #1534 of 1556 Old 10-22-2014, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If you ship yours to me I would be happy to compare it to my current music server.

I have a dedicated PC with a Core i7 CPU running windows server 2012. I use jriver to play music. The bitsteam is sent to my dac via a USB.

I would love to compare it to my current setup.

What software catalogs and plays the music from the BDP-2?

David M.
post #1535 of 1556 Old 10-22-2014, 01:49 PM

It seems as those the music player daemon is fairly basic. Not that I wouldn't want the "best" sound, but jriver is so powerful in how it allows you to organize your music. You can set up view based on 100 different criteria.

David M.
post #1536 of 1556 Old 10-22-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Hello David. I am writing this post specifically for you because I know you are a dedicated and informed vinyl man with a great ear. But, I must tell you about my recent experience of having purchased the Bryston BDP-2 digital audio player. This player is absolutely the greatest gear for sonic improvement I have owned in my life. I was successful at loading on a flash drive about 300 compositions from red book CDs. Never have I heard music sound so good through the SP3. And, this is music at 44.1/16. I am getting my files from aiff encoded music from my CD collection that I import to iTunes. Last night, I stayed up until 4:00 a.m. (sober listening to the BDP-2, and cannot wait to get home to begin the task of encoding my almost 2k CDs on the BDP-2. Please excuse my enthusiasm, but owning the BDP-2 is simply a required purchase if you want to get the maximum enjoyment for music from the SP3. I am using the SP3's AES digital input, and now I know why the SP3 cost so much. It is fundamentally professional gear as you do not get AES digital inputs in most processors, even the highly regarded Krell Foundation. Please avail yourself to the BDP-2 and you won't be disappointed. A D/A converter is not required as the SP3's D/A converter works quite well, thank you.
You suck gbaby. You got me with the aes digital input. I was considering this bdp2 thinking it would be a great match for my Foundation. But I guess not. Are you saying that this input is the reason that sounds so good?

Have you tried a regular digital input? Either optical or coax to see the results?
post #1537 of 1556 Old 10-22-2014, 04:39 PM

Unless the SP-3 is doing something different with an AES input I see no reason why it should different. I am not saying it doesn't sound different but I don't know why it should. Maybe Gbaby's cables are the source of the difference.

David M.
post #1538 of 1556 Old 10-22-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
You suck gbaby. You got me with the aes digital input. I was considering this bdp2 thinking it would be a great match for my Foundation. But I guess not. Are you saying that this input is the reason that sounds so good?

Have you tried a regular digital input? Either optical or coax to see the results?
I would assume the coax would be equivalent but perhaps we should ask James Tanner on the AA forum.
post #1539 of 1556 Old 10-22-2014, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I think James likes the AES, but he says the difference is very very small, IIRC.

I use it with my BDP1/SP3, but I haven't tried other connections. I doubt you'd hear much difference if any with any well made cable. There may be differences in how the different types of connection handle jitter, but I can't say from first hand knowledge.

Dave

post #1540 of 1556 Old 10-22-2014, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Fair question: Is James a regular here?
post #1541 of 1556 Old Yesterday, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Never seen him here--try Audio Aficionado, or, better yet, Audio Circle.

Dave

post #1542 of 1556 Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you ship yours to me I would be happy to compare it to my current music server.

I have a dedicated PC with a Core i7 CPU running windows server 2012. I use jriver to play music. The bitsteam is sent to my dac via a USB.

I would love to compare it to my current setup.

What software catalogs and plays the music from the BDP-2?
If you were getting paid to do a comparison and could split the fee with me, I'd be glad to ship it for a comparison. I did not understand your question so if you rephrase it I may be able to answer it.
post #1543 of 1556 Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM

I assume after you have pointed to your music source it catalogs it so you can pick something to play. Is this something Bryston coded or is a 3rd party package?

David M.
post #1544 of 1556 Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post

I still think you need to consider getting the BDP-2. It allows limitless filing and playing of all your music so you can store your CDs. I am encoding and packing at the same time as the sound exceeds what I can get even on my Sony XA-5400ES SACD player. The BDP-2 will work with a regular coaxial digital cable. All you need is a BNC to coaxial adapter which can be purchased in the $5.00 range. In fact it is this output I use to burn CDs from the BDP-2. As far a AES digital, I do not think it is better sonicallly than coaxial and optical digital cable. I think the AES digital cables are more for reducing noise (i.e. RFI) over long running distances. I think the reason the BDP-2 sounds so good is that the industry is only recently discovering how to address the flaws in digital playback. They are finding out that the CD transport, itself, the laser and motor mechanism affects the sound more so than its sampling rate and format. I think we are discovering that 44.1/16 sampling rate, the red book spec, sounds just fine as long as its played back without the CD mechanism which itself throws off timing, diminishes dynamics and compromises timbres. Read the November 2014 of Stereophile which reports on this subject in several articles.
post #1545 of 1556 Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Unless the SP-3 is doing something different with an AES input I see no reason why it should different. I am not saying it doesn't sound different but I don't know why it should. Maybe Gbaby's cables are the source of the difference.
My cables are XLR Bluetruth cables from bettercables.com. But, I sure any XLR cable that spec out to 110 ohms will suffice whatever that means.
post #1546 of 1556 Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I assume after you have pointed to your music source it catalogs it so you can pick something to play. Is this something Bryston coded or is a 3rd party package?
Bryston has its own program to catalog the music and apple has an app dong the same although with a different appearance. The Bryston is free and the apple app for Ipad is $2.99. Regardless, I'm still trying to figure out both. Otherwise, it would have been shipped to you for a review.

Last edited by gbaby; Yesterday at 09:52 PM.
post #1547 of 1556 Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
He was extended a personal invitation by me, but he declined.
post #1548 of 1556 Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
Never seen him here--try Audio Aficionado, or, better yet, Audio Circle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
He was extended a personal invitation by me, but he declined.

1. AudioAficionado is a private club; run by an audio dealer/dictator.
2. AudioCircle is run by an Australian who does not keep track of what's going on.

* It is too bad that James ain't here because I really like him from conversing with him @ few other sites.
James is a sensible man, and sometimes AVS is insensible. ...And that is a fact. But AVS is no different than all them other sites.

Anyway, I stumbled into this Bryston's thread (SP3) and I was hoping to meet my good friend James here.

That's the main problem with all the audio/video forums of the Internet; lacking true love and friendship with all our audio/video buddies who we all share the same passion.
Yes, just too bad sometimes. ...When this world is already a tough place and that we're simply looking for a place to rest, to have peace, and find comfort. ...Only when we find peace that we can grow with true knowledge.

Alright, carry on.
gbaby likes this.
post #1549 of 1556 Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
2. AudioCircle is run by an Australian who does not keep track of what's going on.

* It is too bad that James ain't here because I really like him from conversing with him @ few other sites.
James is a sensible man, and sometimes AVS is insensible. ...And that is a fact. But AVS is no different than all them other sites.

Anyway, I stumbled into this Bryston's thread (SP3) and I was hoping to meet my good friend James here.

That's the main problem with all the audio/video forums of the Internet; lacking true love and friendship with all our audio/video buddies who we all share the same passion.
Yes, just too bad sometimes. ...When this world is already a tough place and that we're simply looking for a place to rest, to have peace, and find comfort. ...Only when we find peace that we can grow with true knowledge.

Alright, carry on.
Good afternoon

I have been reading your posts on AVS and could not help but write to ask a few questions. I hope that you do not mind

I am trying to upgrade my HT. I have a room set aside in my bungalow 14.5' x 22' x 7.5' high

I have a front projector with 3 B & W home theatre speakers behind a transparent screen where I also have 2 subs.. In my rear, I have 2 built-in speakers.

I was a proud owner of a good system and sold it a few years ago to move into a condo.

Hated it & moved back to a house where I had to start over.

Moving twice in 15 months in very expensive.

I power my system with a Pioneer Elite receiver, the SC-68.

Now I am trying to get into separates. At this time I listen to 98% movies and, obviously, very little music.

I have been wrestling with buying used rather than new as it is cheaper and have found a SP3 that is 2.5 years old or a rebuilt Anthem AMV-50v with a P5 Anthem amp.

I assume that you are still enjoying your SP3 so please tell me about your pleasures of your experiences lately.

Look forward to hearing from you

Stephen
post #1550 of 1556 Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Stephen,

I have no Bryston SP3, and neither any Anthem components. ...I have an old Integra DHC-80.3 SSP with some Rotel and Emotiva and Onkyo and Yamaha power amplifiers. My setup is 7.2 @ this moment, using Image and Paradigm speakers and two Def Tech subs.
My main HT room is 19 by 16 by 11 feet @ the highest spot. Everything is extremely humble, without artifices and artifacts.

And next is a Marantz pre/pro with Atmos and Auro. ...In a 7.2.4 setup configuration.

* Your best bet are some of the members here in this thread; including Kal Rubinson and Kris Deering (here & over there on other forums), as well Bob Pariseau from Anthem.

You are into good sound quality over fancy features; and both Bryston and Anthem are good choices.
Also, there is the Marantz AV7702 pre/pro ($2,000 USD MSRP). ...Brand new.

You are Canadian, and don't mind second-hand: Bryston amps are solid, Anthem amps come in two levels (budget & high-end).
Value and performance are your motto; Emotiva amps are some of them (but they are from the USA - shipping + duties).
Second-hand Rotel amps are good/great too. ...And Yamaha.

Between a Bryston pre/pro (SP3) and an Anthem one (AMV-50 + P5 amp); others with experience with them both are the real qualified people here, plus them three names I just mentioned above.

<<>> You have been a member here @ AVS for over seven years and this is your very first post; Chapeau!

Cheers,
Bob
post #1551 of 1556 Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Hi Stephen,

I have no Bryston SP3, and neither any Anthem components. ...I have an old Integra DHC-80.3 SSP with some Rotel and Emotiva and Onkyo and Yamaha power amplifiers. My setup is 7.2 @ this moment, using Image and Paradigm speakers and two Def Tech subs.
My main HT room is 19 by 16 by 11 feet @ the highest spot. Everything is extremely humble, without artifices and artifacts.

And next is a Marantz pre/pro with Atmos and Auro. ...In a 7.2.4 setup configuration.

* Your best bet are some of the members here in this thread; including Kal Rubinson and Kris Deering (here & over there on other forums), as well Bob Pariseau from Anthem.

You are into good sound quality over fancy features; and both Bryston and Anthem are good choices.
Also, there is the Marantz AV7702 pre/pro ($2,000 USD MSRP). ...Brand new.

You are Canadian, and don't mind second-hand: Bryston amps are solid, Anthem amps come in two levels (budget & high-end).
Value and performance are your motto; Emotiva amps are some of them (but they are from the USA - shipping + duties).
Second-hand Rotel amps are good/great too. ...And Yamaha.

Between a Bryston pre/pro (SP3) and an Anthem one (AMV-50 + P5 amp); others with experience with them both are the real qualified people here, plus them three names I just mentioned above.

<<>> You have been a member here @ AVS for over seven years and this is your very first post; Chapeau!

Cheers,
Bob
Thank you Bob for a comprehensive reply

As you mentioned, I am very new to this forum but how would I get in touch with the three people you mentioned, Kal, Kris, and Bob

Steve
post #1552 of 1556 Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

1. Kal Rubinson has already posted here, few posts back (30 or 50 or so). Kal has also his own column (blog) over @ Stereophile; Music in the Round.
Kal is very methodical in his various reviews of SSPs => www.stereophile.com/category/music-round
& => http://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=28272210

2. Kris Deering likes to keep in touch with Dolby Atmos. He posts there occasionally. And Kris knows about SSPs, various ones.
Kris is also a writer and audio/video reviewer over @ Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity.
=> www.hometheaterhifi.com
& => http://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=28469266

3. Bob Pariseau is the Anthem's and Oppo's main expert & entertainer; you can easily find him in them respective forums.
Bob knows more about Anthem and Oppo than anyone else here @ AVS and abroad.
=> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27584754

Google anyone of them three (just by their names) and you'll get the places of their expertise audio fields.
Or do a search here @ AVS, using the Search Function tool: again, by their real names, which happen to be also their usernames.

Last edited by NorthSky; Yesterday at 08:37 PM. Reason: Links
post #1553 of 1556 Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Alright, carry on.
Great post, Northsky! I agree with every single word.
post #1554 of 1556 Old Today, 05:50 AM

Quote:

Anyone can be a member and it is a great place for audio chatter and information. Calling someone a dictator is completely unfair.

Quote:

Another excellent audio forum. Frankly, it has a ton more pure audio discussion than AVS.

JMO, of course.

David M.
post #1555 of 1556 Old Today, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Anyone can be a member and it is a great place for audio chatter and information. Calling someone a dictator is completely unfair.

Another excellent audio forum. Frankly, it has a ton more pure audio discussion than AVS.

JMO, of course.
I agree--both very good forums.

Dave

post #1556 of 1556 Old Today, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

JMO, of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
I agree--both very good forums.
I did not think Northsky meant any malice as he referred to James Tanner as a friend and being sensible. I, too, like James Tanner and love the products of his company. In fact, I trust Bryston as a company, and my next purchase from them may be new speakers and another 2 channel amp. I was, however, disappointed when James declined to participate in this forum, and I even mentioned that I thought it would heip promote the SP3 sales. At the same time, I understand that he cannot join every forum or he'd spend all his time answering questions from forums. But, since we are all able to communicate with James Tanner, his refusal to not participate in this forum was no big deal to me which is why I never mentioned it until someone made the inquiry. As Norhsky noted, sometimes folks on this forum, including me, can be insensible.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Arcam

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page