The Official Bryston SP3 Thread. - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1531 of 1540 Old 10-20-2014, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A useful tool, Gbaby, is the new Manic Moose manual for the BDP-2: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...e%20Manual.pdf

It explains the features and operations of this new firmware.

Also, Bryston has its own support forum, which covers the SP3, BDP, and other products: http://support.bryston.com/forum/

Happy listening,

RJ

Eschew obfuscation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1540 Old 10-21-2014, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoThere View Post
A useful tool, Gbaby, is the new Manic Moose manual for the BDP-2: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...e%20Manual.pdf

It explains the features and operations of this new firmware.

Also, Bryston has its own support forum, which covers the SP3, BDP, and other products: http://support.bryston.com/forum/

Happy listening,

RJ
Thanks Rich. You saved me a lot of research time, and I have already downloaded the manic moose manual which I needed. I'd never seen the Bryston tech support site so thanks for it, too.
post #1533 of 1540 Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
Either way, his perspective is subjective just like the rest of us. The only thing that matters is if you like it.

Personally, there are only 1 or 2 people whose opinions on sound mean anything to me and that's because we have spent tons of time together listening to the same music on the same system. Thus, I have a reference point. It isn't a personal thing. I just need to fully understand what someone else likes in order to make their opinion useful.
Hello David. I am writing this post specifically for you because I know you are a dedicated and informed vinyl man with a great ear. But, I must tell you about my recent experience of having purchased the Bryston BDP-2 digital audio player. This player is absolutely the greatest gear for sonic improvement I have owned in my life. I was successful at loading on a flash drive about 300 compositions from red book CDs. Never have I heard music sound so good through the SP3. And, this is music at 44.1/16. I am getting my files from aiff encoded music from my CD collection that I import to iTunes. Last night, I stayed up until 4:00 a.m. (sober listening to the BDP-2, and cannot wait to get home to begin the task of encoding my almost 2k CDs on the BDP-2. Please excuse my enthusiasm, but owning the BDP-2 is simply a required purchase if you want to get the maximum enjoyment for music from the SP3. I am using the SP3's AES digital input, and now I know why the SP3 cost so much. It is fundamentally professional gear as you do not get AES digital inputs in most processors, even the highly regarded Krell Foundation. Please avail yourself to the BDP-2 and you won't be disappointed. A D/A converter is not required as the SP3's D/A converter works quite well, thank you.
post #1534 of 1540 Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If you ship yours to me I would be happy to compare it to my current music server.

I have a dedicated PC with a Core i7 CPU running windows server 2012. I use jriver to play music. The bitsteam is sent to my dac via a USB.

I would love to compare it to my current setup.

What software catalogs and plays the music from the BDP-2?

David M.
post #1535 of 1540 Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM

It seems as those the music player daemon is fairly basic. Not that I wouldn't want the "best" sound, but jriver is so powerful in how it allows you to organize your music. You can set up view based on 100 different criteria.

David M.
post #1536 of 1540 Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Hello David. I am writing this post specifically for you because I know you are a dedicated and informed vinyl man with a great ear. But, I must tell you about my recent experience of having purchased the Bryston BDP-2 digital audio player. This player is absolutely the greatest gear for sonic improvement I have owned in my life. I was successful at loading on a flash drive about 300 compositions from red book CDs. Never have I heard music sound so good through the SP3. And, this is music at 44.1/16. I am getting my files from aiff encoded music from my CD collection that I import to iTunes. Last night, I stayed up until 4:00 a.m. (sober listening to the BDP-2, and cannot wait to get home to begin the task of encoding my almost 2k CDs on the BDP-2. Please excuse my enthusiasm, but owning the BDP-2 is simply a required purchase if you want to get the maximum enjoyment for music from the SP3. I am using the SP3's AES digital input, and now I know why the SP3 cost so much. It is fundamentally professional gear as you do not get AES digital inputs in most processors, even the highly regarded Krell Foundation. Please avail yourself to the BDP-2 and you won't be disappointed. A D/A converter is not required as the SP3's D/A converter works quite well, thank you.
You suck gbaby. You got me with the aes digital input. I was considering this bdp2 thinking it would be a great match for my Foundation. But I guess not. Are you saying that this input is the reason that sounds so good?

Have you tried a regular digital input? Either optical or coax to see the results?
post #1537 of 1540 Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM

Unless the SP-3 is doing something different with an AES input I see no reason why it should different. I am not saying it doesn't sound different but I don't know why it should. Maybe Gbaby's cables are the source of the difference.

David M.
post #1538 of 1540 Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
You suck gbaby. You got me with the aes digital input. I was considering this bdp2 thinking it would be a great match for my Foundation. But I guess not. Are you saying that this input is the reason that sounds so good?

Have you tried a regular digital input? Either optical or coax to see the results?
I would assume the coax would be equivalent but perhaps we should ask James Tanner on the AA forum.
post #1539 of 1540 Old Yesterday, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I think James likes the AES, but he says the difference is very very small, IIRC.

I use it with my BDP1/SP3, but I haven't tried other connections. I doubt you'd hear much difference if any with any well made cable. There may be differences in how the different types of connection handle jitter, but I can't say from first hand knowledge.

Dave

post #1540 of 1540 Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Fair question: Is James a regular here?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Arcam