The Official Bryston SP3 Thread. - Page 53 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1561 of 1573 Old 10-25-2014, 08:11 PM
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 3,966
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1708 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Of course we do.
NorthSky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1562 of 1573 Old 10-26-2014, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I am stumbling on solutions to problems I was having using my Bryston BDP-2. Its turning out to make me believe this may be one if the greatest audio invention my my lifetime. This is a CD collector's dream; a device that provides infinite music storage in a compact design and music quality playback at the highest level possible. Playback quality is unbelievable, and I'm talking about 2.0 channel 44.1/16 PCM. Of course I do convert most of it to 7.1 DPLIIx music, but I find early Motown songs (perhaps mono) sound better played back in stereo. The jury is still out, but I'm close to believing hi res is irrelevant.
gbaby is offline  
post #1563 of 1573 Old 10-26-2014, 06:55 PM
Senior Member
 
dminches's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
I am stumbling on solutions to problems I was having using my Bryston BDP-2. Its turning out to make me believe this may be one if the greatest audio invention my my lifetime. This is a CD collector's dream; a device that provides infinite music storage in a compact design and music quality playback at the highest level possible. Playback quality is unbelievable, and I'm talking about 2.0 channel 44.1/16 PCM. Of course I do convert most of it to 7.1 DPLIIx music, but I find early Motown songs (perhaps mono) sound better played back in stereo. The jury is still out, but I'm close to believing hi res is irrelevant.
Why would the method of delivery make hires irrelevant?

Also, I assume when you say "invention" you mean the concept of a music server, not the BDP-2 itself since Bryston wasn't the first to introduce this.

You should try to listen to everything in 2.0 for a while.

David M.
dminches is online now  
post #1564 of 1573 Old 10-26-2014, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
Why would the method of delivery make hires irrelevant?

Also, I assume when you say "invention" you mean the concept of a music server, not the BDP-2 itself since Bryston wasn't the first to introduce this.

You should try to listen to everything in 2.0 for a while.
I guess what I am saying is that I don't miss it since playing back music files in 44.1/16 on the BDP-2.The music playback is with such ease with no hint of it being a digital sound. I've had numerous reel to reels the past and the BDP-2 sounds analog without the hiss. In fact it is eerily noiseless and transparent.

Aside from Apple TV, this is my first experience with a really high end sounding server. Yes, I admit to being late to the party. I guess what makes the BDP-2 so special is the fact you don't have to deal with computer noise or the noise of a CD drive. I love this sound. And, with a financial windfall, I can see myself buying another one for my other system.

I do listen to 2 channel, but invariably. I switch back to 7.1 DPLIIx music on the Bryston SP3. On most music, the music collapses in 2 channel. However, I admit on rare occasion, 2 channel sounds better.
gbaby is offline  
post #1565 of 1573 Old 10-27-2014, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post

Also, I assume when you say "invention" you mean the concept of a music server, not the BDP-2 itself since Bryston wasn't the first to introduce this.
David, below is a link for a post from audio circle that is relevant to your comment above.



http://bryston-ltd.tumblr.com/post/9...vs-high-end-cd
gbaby is offline  
post #1566 of 1573 Old 10-28-2014, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 34
For those interested, James Tanner of Bryston has a new web magazine that looks pretty good. See below:


http://bryston-ltd.tumblr.com/
gbaby is offline  
post #1567 of 1573 Old 10-28-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
moonhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: La Madera, New Mexico
Posts: 3,218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
The jury is still out, but I'm close to believing hi res is irrelevant.


Gbaby--If you haven't already, read "Sam's Space" in the latest Stereophile. He reviews the La Rosita Digital streamer, which only plays 16/44.1. The designers believe that is all you need--Has to do with the ability of computers to keep up with higher rates--.

Very interesting reading.

______________________

__________

Dave

moonhawk is offline  
post #1568 of 1573 Old 10-28-2014, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
Gbaby--If you haven't already, read "Sam's Space" in the latest Stereophile. He reviews the La Rosita Digital streamer, which only plays 16/44.1. The designers believe that is all you need--Has to do with the ability of computers to keep up with higher rates--.

Very interesting reading.
This is what I am referring to, and was the motive for my post. It was interesting reading.
gbaby is offline  
post #1569 of 1573 Old 10-28-2014, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Rich, Bryston has just introduced a new D/A converter, the BDA-3. I guess a new and improved BDP-3 is next.
gbaby is offline  
post #1570 of 1573 Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM
Member
 
SoThere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Whiney Napa Valley
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Rich, Bryston has just introduced a new D/A converter, the BDA-3. I guess a new and improved BDP-3 is next.
Thanks for thinking of me, gbaby. Just saw that on AC & AudioShark. It will be interesting to see how DSD downloads fare in the market. I'm very happy with the BDP-2 and BDA-2 combo. Now if the BDA-3 were multichannel . . .

Delighted that you're enjoying your BDP-2 (and that Bryston has no immediate plans to replace it), gbaby. I know you're very happy with CD-quality through the unit. Wait until you hear hi-res. It's astounding.

Cheerio,

Rich

Eschew obfuscation.
SoThere is offline  
post #1571 of 1573 Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoThere View Post
Thanks for thinking of me, gbaby. Just saw that on AC & AudioShark. It will be interesting to see how DSD downloads fare in the market. I'm very happy with the BDP-2 and BDA-2 combo. Now if the BDA-3 were multichannel . . .

Delighted that you're enjoying your BDP-2 (and that Bryston has no immediate plans to replace it), gbaby. I know you're very happy with CD-quality through the unit. Wait until you hear hi-res. It's astounding.

Cheerio,

Rich
I understand your being happy with the above combo. I'm happy with just one. One thing for sure, the BDA-3 makes not having DSD on the SP3 a non-issue if you need only two channel.

As far as hi res, I have been taking David's advice, and last night I started listening to 2 channel hi res music contained in the flash drive compliments of Bryston for the BDP-2. I can understand Dave's passion for 2 channel. And, I must say, those folks at Bryston have a very good taste in music. They must be baby boomers. There was a song on the flash drive entitled, "Spooky," that was done back in the late '60s or early '70s which is sung by a female, and it sounds great.
gbaby is offline  
post #1572 of 1573 Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM
Member
 
SoThere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Whiney Napa Valley
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
I understand your being happy with the above combo. I'm happy with just one. One thing for sure, the BDA-3 makes not having DSD on the SP3 a non-issue if you need only two channel.

As far as hi res, I have been taking David's advice, and last night I started listening to 2 channel hi res music contained in the flash drive compliments of Bryston for the BDP-2. I can understand Dave's passion for 2 channel. And, I must say, those folks at Bryston have a very good taste in music. They must be baby boomers. There was a song on the flash drive entitled, "Spooky," that was done back in the late '60s or early '70s which is sung by a female, and it sounds great.
Delighted that you're enjoying your BDP-2/SP3, gbaby. What wonderful gear, eh? You'll continue to be delighted, and often surprised, by the sound quality and the engagement with the music that the SQ brings. I can't recommend hi-res strongly enough and will be interested in your assessment.

Cheerio,

RJ

Eschew obfuscation.
SoThere is offline  
post #1573 of 1573 Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoThere View Post
Delighted that you're enjoying your BDP-2/SP3, gbaby. What wonderful gear, eh? You'll continue to be delighted, and often surprised, by the sound quality and the engagement with the music that the SQ brings. I can't recommend hi-res strongly enough and will be interested in your assessment.

Cheerio,

RJ
I just discovered that the song, Spooky, that I liked so much had a sampling rate of only 44.1, but I can't tell on the SP3 if it's 16 or 24. Regardless, it still sounds good. And, I have been playing the hi res, and they sound great. It all sounds good, depending on the recording. I will be getting the Bryston BDA-3 if DSD through its HDMI sounds better than the D/A converter of my Sony XA-5400ES on SACD. If I were Bryston, I'd ensure Kal Rubinson gets one immediately for evaluation.
gbaby is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Arcam

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off