4Likes

post #1591 of 1612 Old 11-13-2014, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
David Minches, I have taken your advice, and I have started listening to 2 channel music again. I put about 16 gigs of music on a flash drive. The music was mostly Motown and Philly sound from from the '60's and '70s. On 2 channels, I turned the sub off and made the left and right speakers large. The sound was compelling. It was made even more so when I played the music using random playback. I was extremely impressed with hearing all that orchestra music from Philly musicians using MFSB and the Funk Brothers from Motown. Also, I did not realize how good some of those recordings were back then. Even, a greatest hits of the short lived Magnificent Men from Hershey, Pennsylvania sounded great. While I still like music played back in 7.1 DPLIIx, the older music sounds better in 2 channels. I just which I could configure the SP3 to switch the speakers to small with the sub on when I switch back to 7.1. For now, I have to get up and manually set the speakers to small and manually turn on the sub when I want 7.1 music.
Each input has different speaker settings and many CD players have both XLR and RCA analog outputs. So you could set one input up for small speakers and the other setup for large. Just a thought...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1612 Old 11-13-2014, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 65
The SP3 has been out for awhile now, how are you guys liking it? Compare it to the previous Sp 1.7 & Sp2...
post #1593 of 1612 Old 11-13-2014, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
It's a known fact that a sub compromises the sound when playing music. If you have full range speakers, 2 channel sounds better without the sub. My speaker are -2db @ 32Hz. This covers most low frequency instruments. If you have full rang speakers try it. But, make sure you set the main speakers to large.
Subs definitely need different setups for 2-channel music vs 7.1 playback, but if the sub is setup correctly it can add to 2-channel playback. I prefer dual subs - one for each channel. I struggle to set them up for both uses. (I have two JL Audio F113s with Monitor Audio PL300 speakers connected to my SP3. Lately I have been trying to run 7.0 with the subs on the right and left channel. Previously I had them on the sub outputs with the speakers set to Large and Xtra Bass turned on. I have the crossovers on the sub turned fairly low.)

Last edited by wagnerc; 11-13-2014 at 12:16 PM.
post #1594 of 1612 Old 11-13-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDVidGuy View Post
I've done all the setup via the front panel. No option for sub cut-off frequency.
That's because there is no need for a sub cutoff, it is automatically handled when you set the high-pass cutoff for the main speakers. A complementary low-pass is inserted in the signal redirected to the subwoofer. The Anthem is quite the odd-ball in that regard. Say no more.

So you did the right thing -- set the L/R to small and set the crossover as low as you like to get the response and blend you prefer.

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #1595 of 1612 Old 11-13-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's a known fact that a sub compromises the sound when playing music. If you have full range speakers, 2 channel sounds better without the sub. My speaker are -2db @ 32Hz. This covers most low frequency instruments.
There's more to covering the bass than a speaker spec. How that speaker's bass presents in the actual room is the key, and bass is very hard to get right when a) one must position the bass reproducers to optimize stereo imaging and not bass, and b) there are no EQ or gain controls to dial in the amount of bass, let alone dial out bass resonances common in most rooms. Having a separate sub (or two, or four -- some of which offer PEQ) allows these issues to be effectively addressed, potentially adding material value to the music listening experience. And you might even get to hear all the lowest notes in the recording!

Deadwood Atmos theater
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #1596 of 1612 Old 11-13-2014, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnerc View Post
Each input has different speaker settings and many CD players have both XLR and RCA analog outputs. So you could set one input up for small speakers and the other setup for large. Just a thought...
Great recommendation except I use HDMI due to the D/A on the SP3 being better than the D/A converter on my Sony XA-5400ES SACD player. The Sony unfortunately has only one HDMI output. To be honest, I do not own a source player with a better D/A converter than the SP3. I would have to get a dedicated D/A converter to exceed the sound of the SP3.
post #1597 of 1612 Old 11-13-2014, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
The SP3 has been out for awhile now, how are you guys liking it? Compare it to the previous Sp 1.7 & Sp2...
I cannot speak for anyone one else, but I still love my SP3 and I like the company, Bryston, too. I feel secure buying their products which I think has good value compared to other hi end manufacturers. The ability to communicate with the CEO of the company helps, too. I've never had the previous Bryston processors so I cannot compare the others to to the SP3.
post #1598 of 1612 Old 11-13-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Great recommendation except I use HDMI due to the D/A on the SP3 being better than the D/A converter on my Sony XA-5400ES SACD player. The Sony unfortunately has only one HDMI output. To be honest, I do not own a source player with a better D/A converter than the SP3. I would have to get a dedicated D/A converter to exceed the sound of the SP3.
Gbaby doesn't the sp3 have spkr adjustments regardless of the type of input being used? Like on the Foundation you can select and save three different memories for say 7.1 with eq for movies. Then a second for all speakers large no sub. Then a third for all speakers small with sub no eq.

It sounds like this is what Roger was referring to on the sp3. You must have several memories where you could preset different playback methods.

I guess I should put in here that it doesn't matter what type of input analog or digital.
post #1599 of 1612 Old 11-13-2014, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnerc View Post
Subs definitely need different setups for 2-channel music vs 7.1 playback, but if the sub is setup correctly it can add to 2-channel playback. I prefer dual subs - one for each channel. I struggle to set them up for both uses. (I have two JL Audio F113s with Monitor Audio PL300 speakers connected to my SP3. Lately I have been trying to run 7.0 with the subs on the right and left channel. Previously I had them on the sub outputs with the speakers set to Large and Xtra Bass turned on. I have the crossovers on the sub turned fairly low.)
The only reason to use a sub for 2 channel music is that your 2 channel speakers are not full range. The sub on music introduces problems such as proper crossover frequency, slopes, filters and other problems that are beyond my pay grade to explain. The bottom line is that with my Infinity Composition Prelude P-FR speakers which is about -2db @ 32 Hz, music sounds better without the sub with the low frequency sounding much tighter.
post #1600 of 1612 Old 11-13-2014, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
There's more to covering the bass than a speaker spec. How that speaker's bass presents in the actual room is the key, and bass is very hard to get right when a) one must position the bass reproducers to optimize stereo imaging and not bass, and b) there are no EQ or gain controls to dial in the amount of bass, let alone dial out bass resonances common in most rooms. Having a separate sub (or two, or four -- some of which offer PEQ) allows these issues to be effectively addressed, potentially adding material value to the music listening experience. And you might even get to hear all the lowest notes in the recording!
I agree there is more to covering the bass than a speaker spec, but if my main speakers are up to the task for bass, and I don't need a subwoofer, why introduce problems associated with getting the sub right?
post #1601 of 1612 Old 11-13-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I agree there is more to covering the bass than a speaker spec, but if my main speakers are up to the task for bass, and I don't need a subwoofer, why introduce problems associated with getting the sub right?
I think "up to the task" is the same as the spec. No? The real question is how do you know what is happening with the bass in the room. Have you measured it? It might be that getting the bass right with subwoofers is the only practical way to do it. Without data, hard to tell.

Deadwood Atmos theater
post #1602 of 1612 Old 11-13-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
I agree gbaby. But i also see what the others are saying. If your mains go that low it is great. But the problem usually lies in the placement for best sound usually is not the best placement for bass quality. Here is where subs can help. But like you i don't usually run my sub for stereo music regardless.
post #1603 of 1612 Old 11-13-2014, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
I agree gbaby. But i also see what the others are saying. If your mains go that low it is great. But the problem usually lies in the placement for best sound usually is not the best placement for bass quality. Here is where subs can help. But like you i don't usually run my sub for stereo music regardless.
I get great bass response from my mains in their current position. The bass is clean, tight, and articulated.
post #1604 of 1612 Old 11-13-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
Debatable. I have a 12" and 18" HGS Velodyne sub, and the 18" is more musical.
Perhaps, but still debatable.
post #1605 of 1612 Old 11-14-2014, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Debatable. I have a 12" and 18" HGS Velodyne sub, and the 18" is more musical.
I running a Paradigm sub2 in two channel mode. The trick is too ensure you don't have the sub too hot. I'll take the sub setup over any two channel. This allows you to run the fronts in much more control. I have mine set to cross over at 50Hz. I can play 1812 a full tilt and not worry about anything. Scary!

Too bad the SP3 cannot control the sub cross over. I had to set that manually by using a frequency sweep CD and SPL meter.
post #1606 of 1612 Old 11-15-2014, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Has anyone ever blown a fuse in an SP3? I am getting an error when I power up - blown fuse of transformer failure.

David M.
post #1607 of 1612 Old 11-16-2014, 06:59 AM

Frustration

My SP3 won't power up and I am getting the "bad fuse or transformer error" message. Unfortunately, the torx screws are so tight I can't get them out to check the fuse. Some of the screws come out easily but some are really tight.

Any suggestions?

David M.
post #1608 of 1612 Old 11-19-2014, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
My SP3 won't power up and I am getting the "bad fuse or transformer error" message. Unfortunately, the torx screws are so tight I can't get them out to check the fuse. Some of the screws come out easily but some are really tight.

Any suggestions?
Sorry David, I'm just seeing your post. If I were you I would send the unit in for repair as it is still under warranty. However, I am sorry about your problem. It may even be related to your previous fix for the phono stage.
post #1609 of 1612 Old 11-19-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Sorry David, I'm just seeing your post. If I were you I would send the unit in for repair as it is still under warranty. However, I am sorry about your problem. It may even be related to your previous fix for the phono stage.
I ended up shipping the unit on Monday. I hadn't done the phono upgrade yet so they will do that and check the power supply. They have changed the upgrade so they only apply it to 1 input (if you want) as opposed to all the inputs.

Fortunately, I have a Marantz AV7701 which I was able to put into my system for watching TV and movies while the SP3 is being fixed. Needless to say, apples and oranges. I sounds like there is a veil over my speakers.

Bryston service has always been excellent. Mike Pickett is great to deal with.

David M.
post #1610 of 1612 Old 11-19-2014, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
I ended up shipping the unit on Monday. I hadn't done the phono upgrade yet so they will do that and check the power supply. They have changed the upgrade so they only apply it to 1 input (if you want) as opposed to all the inputs.

Fortunately, I have a Marantz AV7701 which I was able to put into my system for watching TV and movies while the SP3 is being fixed. Needless to say, apples and oranges. I sounds like there is a veil over my speakers.

Bryston service has always been excellent. Mike Pickett is great to deal with.
Bryston is not Allstate, but you are in good hands. I had trouble with the remote communicating with my first SP3 and they eventually sent me a new one.
post #1611 of 1612 Old 11-19-2014, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For whatever this is worth, I have not played a movie or listened to multi-channel music since I purchased the Bryston BDP-2. All I do is listen briefly, encode and listen more. Also, I have downloaded so hi res content from HDTracks, but I find my encoded aiff music files at 44.1/16 sampling rate to give me a more satisfying sonic experience.
post #1612 of 1612 Old 11-19-2014, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I cannot speak for anyone one else, but I still love my SP3 and I like the company, Bryston, too. I feel secure buying their products which I think has good value compared to other hi end manufacturers. The ability to communicate with the CEO of the company helps, too. I've never had the previous Bryston processors so I cannot compare the others to to the SP3.
Sorry, I have never heard earlier Bryston SP's, so I cannot compare to them.

Having come from many different front ends including my late Anthem AVM30. The SP3 is totally in a different league. I can go on & on how much better the SP3 is, but words cannot describe how much better the SP3 is. Even when I consider when I had an Audio Research 2ch pre amp, the SP3 still beats it hands down.

I'm back to enjoying listening to CD's and love all the surprises I get when listening to DVD's and Blue Rays discs.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Arcam

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page