post #1621 of 1676 Old 12-05-2014, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycia View Post
With respect to two channel music, has anyone compared the performance of the BP26 as against the SP3?
A while back I read the SP3 was slightly better sounding than the BP-26, but I cannot remember where I read it. But perhaps the statement below can give you some guidance:

"The other day I went and had a listen to the model Ts. You can ask James because emailed him right after.
This is basically what I said to him.

"Got to the hear the model Ts today. They are real nice but what surprised me the most was the super hot pre amp in the sp3." unquote

The sp3 is a dam fine 2 ch pre.

I know lately I have sounded really enthusiastic but i am not over playing anything. The stuff thats coming from The Big B lately has been really good. Not much of a fan of the bp26 I should add."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1676 Old 12-05-2014, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
I realize this is all moot since you have full range speakers--I do not--but just wanted to point this out.

No problem. However, the next time you are in the market for speakers, make sure your main left and right are full range. It makes a huge difference playing two channel music without a sub.
post #1623 of 1676 Old 12-05-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
No problem. However, the next time you are in the market for speakers, make sure your main left and right are full range. It makes a huge difference playing two channel music without a sub.
I built my speakers and won't be in the market.

If I were, though, I would stick with smaller ones plus subs, as per the advantages listed above, of proper placement of upper/mid frequencies, AND proper placement of bass.

I would probably still have a Bryston pre-amp and would rely on their crossover to balance everything properly.

YMMV.

Dave

post #1624 of 1676 Old 12-05-2014, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I built my speakers and won't be in the market.
:
When you say you built your speakers, did you design the cabinets, design or build the crossover, pick the drivers, etc?
post #1625 of 1676 Old 12-05-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
When you say you built your speakers, did you design the cabinets, design or build the crossover, pick the drivers, etc?
Nope--wouldn't dream of trying that--I know just enough about it not to waste my time.

I bought kits from George Short at North Creek Music--Vison Signatures. He supplies everything but the wood. I built LCR, four surrounds, and two subs--So I have way too much time and money invested to be looking elsewhere. I'll post a pic or two.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speakers.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	404690   Click image for larger version

Name:	center.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	404698  

Dave

post #1626 of 1676 Old 12-05-2014, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Awesome speakers. I have always been intrigued of North Creek speakers designs. And yes they are a bunch of cash.

They are what started my diy journey. My speakers are based off of one of North Creek's designs. I have 7 matched speakers all diy that sound better to me than anything I can buy. B&W 802 diamonds I have heard 3 times in the last 2 years. Very popular apparently around here. They aren't even close in sound to my $1000 a piece diy speakers. My wife even commented twice about how much better my system sounds. They were being driven two times by Classe's finest.

Sorry for the rant folks. Those speakers he has a really fine sounding speakers. I could guarantee it.
post #1627 of 1676 Old 12-05-2014, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is a pic of mine. Don't be fooled by the size. They weigh 60lbs a piece and each cost a grand. They are only 3 db down at 35hz. I play them fullrange and love it.
post #1628 of 1676 Old 12-05-2014, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Another pic of the midrange crossover
post #1629 of 1676 Old 12-05-2014, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
Here is a pic of mine. Don't be fooled by the size. They weigh 60lbs a piece and each cost a grand. They are only 3 db down at 35hz. I play them fullrange and love it.
Nice!

Dave

post #1630 of 1676 Old 12-06-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks moonhawk. I very much considered your design. The price is what killed that idea. I am sure they are sweet sounding speakers. I have some high dollar caps on my tweeter network. I don't have a clear picture of them though. I bet you went through a bunch of solder on your crossovers with all that cascading that is done.
post #1631 of 1676 Old 12-06-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks moonhawk. I very much considered your design. The price is what killed that idea. I am sure they are sweet sounding speakers. I have some high dollar caps on my tweeter network. I don't have a clear picture of them though. I bet you went through a bunch of solder on your crossovers with all that cascading that is done.
Someone did, not me--the crossovers came assembled, I just had to secure them in the box.

Really, for me, it was a woodworking project.

Dave

post #1632 of 1676 Old 12-06-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok. Well yes someone else used a bunch of solder. I thought you had to assemble the crossovers. It has been a few years since I was looking though.

Anyway nice speakers. I don't think you could find better unless you spend upwards of 10 grand per pair. Maybe not even there.
post #1633 of 1676 Old 12-06-2014, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nope--wouldn't dream of trying that--I know just enough about it not to waste my time.

I bought kits from George Short at North Creek Music--Vison Signatures. He supplies everything but the wood. I built LCR, four surrounds, and two subs--So I have way too much time and money invested to be looking elsewhere. I'll post a pic or two.
They are absolutely beautiful!
post #1634 of 1676 Old 12-06-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok. Well yes someone else used a bunch of solder. I thought you had to assemble the crossovers. It has been a few years since I was looking though.

Anyway nice speakers. I don't think you could find better unless you spend upwards of 10 grand per pair. Maybe not even there.
Thanks! I really have nothing to compare them too, at least not in recent memory. They replaced a pair of Vandersteen 2CEs, which were no slouches.

Dave

post #1635 of 1676 Old 12-06-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They are absolutely beautiful!
Many thanks, gbaby! They were definitely a labor of love, and they do sound wonderful.

Dave

post #1636 of 1676 Old 12-06-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Balanced or single ended?

While this thread is active, I thought I'd ask you guys if you're running XLRs or RCAs between your SP3s and your amplifiers?

I've been running balanced but now have to get new interconnects because the 9B SST2 is new and requires longer cables. (It's in a different location than the Parasound Halo it replaced).

The guy I spoke to at The Cable Co says that since the Brystons are not a truly balanced circuit, single ended will sound slightly better. Anyone have any thoughts? Has anyone tried both types of otherwise identical cables? My comparisons have all been apples to oranges, so I can't say from personal experience.

I'm leaning towards the RCAs because I have one good pair that will reach and that I can use for the surrounds.

I'd love to hear what you guys think, though.

Dave

post #1637 of 1676 Old 12-07-2014, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Moonhawk, you can mix and match the runs between your SP3 and your amps. I have single-ended to my surrounds and balanced to my mains.

David M.
post #1638 of 1676 Old 12-07-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
Moonhawk, you can mix and match the runs between your SP3 and your amps. I have single-ended to my surrounds and balanced to my mains.
Thanks--I realize that. Just wondered if anyone had done a real apples to apples and which they thought sounded better.

Dave

post #1639 of 1676 Old 12-08-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Thanks--I realize that. Just wondered if anyone had done a real apples to apples and which they thought sounded better.
The general rule of thumb is that balanced runs are preferred when the runs are longer since the noise will be lower. Now, if the SP3 isn't really balanced I am not sure how that affects things. How long are your runs?

David M.
post #1640 of 1676 Old 12-08-2014, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Many thanks, gbaby! They were definitely a labor of love, and they do sound wonderful.
Do you know the frequency response and efficiency rating for the speakers?
post #1641 of 1676 Old 12-08-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The general rule of thumb is that balanced runs are preferred when the runs are longer since the noise will be lower. Now, if the SP3 isn't really balanced I am not sure how that affects things. How long are your runs?
Quote:
Do you know the frequency response and efficiency rating for the speakers?
The runs will be 2 meters max. I'm trying to work out a way to rearrange the gear so that they will be shorter. Shorter is better because they cost less. I'm running 1.5M single ended now, and there is no noise. I've run 2 meter balanced with no noise, and come to think of it, two meter single ended with no noise. So, the issue remains SQ alone. It's probably a toss-up, and I'll go for convenience, which as of right now, looks like RCAs.

There is no published spec on the efficiency rating of my speakers, but George short designs his stuff to work with SETs, and I've had no difficulty driving them, so I think they're pretty efficient.

The FR is somewhere down around 60 Hz, I think. I cross them over at 80 to my three subs.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Dave

post #1642 of 1676 Old 12-08-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
The runs will be 2 meters max. I'm trying to work out a way to rearrange the gear so that they will be shorter. Shorter is better because they cost less. I'm running 1.5M single ended now, and there is no noise. I've run 2 meter balanced with no noise, and come to think of it, two meter single ended with no noise. So, the issue remains SQ alone. It's probably a toss-up, and I'll go for convenience, which as of right now, looks like RCAs.
I don't think I could hear the difference between balanced and unbalanced for a 2 meter run of the same cable.

David M.
post #1643 of 1676 Old 12-08-2014, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Halloo, gents:

Dave, FWIW, I use Bryston's balanced cables between our SP3, 6BSST(C), and 4BSST(C)s. I like them because of the secure connections and excellent build quality. I have our components on pull-out shelves, so the locking XLR connectors are quite useful. The balanced cables do give you about 3db more gain. I have to agree with David: I doubt that I could hear a difference on a short run. The cables list at $115 for 1 meter, so they weren't outrageous. I appreciate your points on convenience, and a mix & match could be effective, so long as you match levels with the handy SP3 pink noise generator.

Your speakers are very impressive, Dave, and certainly worthy of your excellent electronics. Yours look great, too, rhale.

I've not been active in the forum, as I've been busy with earthquake recovery and finally got our system up and running yesterday. It sounds wonderful, but a friend of mine really wants our Paradigm Reference Signature S8s (he also has our old Apogee Duetta Signatures), so in the next few weeks I'm going to listen to the Model T Signatures from Bryston, as well as the competition.

To all, best wishes for a wonderful holiday season.

RJ

Eschew obfuscation.
post #1644 of 1676 Old 12-08-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoThere View Post
Halloo, gents:

Dave, FWIW, I use Bryston's balanced cables between our SP3, 6BSST(C), and 4BSST(C)s. I like them because of the secure connections and excellent build quality. I have our components on pull-out shelves, so the locking XLR connectors are quite useful. The balanced cables do give you about 3db more gain. I have to agree with David: I doubt that I could hear a difference on a short run. The cables list at $115 for 1 meter, so they weren't outrageous. I appreciate your points on convenience, and a mix & match could be effective, so long as you match levels with the handy SP3 pink noise generator.

Your speakers are very impressive, Dave, and certainly worthy of your excellent electronics. Yours look great, too, rhale.

I've not been active in the forum, as I've been busy with earthquake recovery and finally got our system up and running yesterday. It sounds wonderful, but a friend of mine really wants our Paradigm Reference Signature S8s (he also has our old Apogee Duetta Signatures), so in the next few weeks I'm going to listen to the Model T Signatures from Bryston, as well as the competition.

To all, best wishes for a wonderful holiday season.

RJ

Hi RJ, and thanks!
Glad to hear your earthquake recovery is proceeding apace. Let's hope things quit shakin' for awhile.

Let us know how the Model Ts sound. They'd definitely be on my short list if I was in the market.

Dave

post #1645 of 1676 Old 12-08-2014, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
After spending months of testing and research I have finally pulled the trigger on an all Bryston set up. Middle T L/R, Mini T Center, SP3, 9BSST2, and BIT 20!! Just waiting for the speakers to be delivered and all this will get set up. Can't wait! Thanks to all of you for the information you game me!
post #1646 of 1676 Old 12-08-2014, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnelly View Post
After spending months of testing and research I have finally pulled the trigger on an all Bryston set up. Middle T L/R, Mini T Center, SP3, 9BSST2, and BIT 20!! Just waiting for the speakers to be delivered and all this will get set up. Can't wait! Thanks to all of you for the information you game me!
Thanks for your post. As soon as you get the speakers, please advise and post. I, like you, like Bryston products, and I have faith in the company, itself, due to frequent interaction with upper level employees of the company, and due to their overall audio design philosophy.
post #1647 of 1676 Old 12-09-2014, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't think I could hear the difference between balanced and unbalanced for a 2 meter run of the same cable.
I don't think anyone could tell the difference. By the way, many thanks for encouraging me to listen to more two channel music. Since I started listening in stereo with my main speakers set to large, I have been listening exclusively to two channels through my Bryston BDP-2. Before, I was being lazy by trying to listen to stereo with a sub and my speakers set to small. Now I know why I thought 7.1 music sounded better than stereo. It was a configuration error on my part.
post #1648 of 1676 Old 12-09-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

FWIW, here is my response from James Tanner of Bryston on another forum regarding balanced vs single ended ICs:

*Hi Dave

There are advantages and disadvantages to Balanced lines (much like most choices in life).

Single Ended connections have 2 conductors - positive and ground, Balanced connections have 3 conductors - positive/negative and ground.
The advantage of a balanced line is you have twice the voltage swing on the line and some receiving circuits react well to that condition as well as reducing any noise picked up through RF interference on the cable. Cables are antennas and any electromagnetic energy striking the cable can be amplifier by your system as noise and distortion and in worst cases you will hear the Taxi driver communicating with his dispatch - LOL. The longer the cable the more potential you have of picking up this electrical interference.
Balanced lines shunt this electrical interference to ground through a mechanism called 'common mode rejection' - which prevents the noise and distortion from being amplifier by your system. This assumes that you are 'sending' as well as 'receiving' the signal through a properly designed balanced system.

The downside of balanced lines is you need 2 more amplifiers in the signal path - one to send and one to receive. It could be argued that 2 more amplifier circuits complicate the signal path. Also the quality of those balanced circuits comes into question - you can use Transformers or IC's or Fully Discrete circuits to accomplish the balancing function. Bryston uses fully discrete balanced circuits as we feel this is the best way to reduce the negatives but still provide the advantages of balanced lines not being affected by the outside electrical contamination. The world is becoming inundated with more and more of this electrical interference so I generally recommend to our customers to utilize balanced lines and circuits if you have them (assuming they are implemented with quality and accuracy)
There is a difference to the 'fully differential balanced inputs' on a balanced system and an amplifier that is typically referred to as fully balanced throughout its circuitry.

Some products have an XLR input or output but they may not be a true balanced system because they are just providing a convenient XLR type connection - they are NOT differentially balanced, which you must do to cancel noise (and is done on all Bryston balanced products).

A fully Balanced amplifier though indicates that both the Positive and Negative signals passing through the amplifier have totally separate circuit paths from the input of the amplifier to the output of the amplifier. In other words the balanced differential input signal is not changed to single ended as it travels through the amplifier. Fully balanced amplifiers are the 7B, 14B and 28B in the Bryston lineup.*

And a follow up Q and A:

OK, thanks, James, so....

My SP3/9BSST2 is a "fully discrete balanced circuit" and is "differentially balanced", but the 9B in itself is not a "fully balanced amplifier?"

In other words, I will get some of the noise rejection benefits?

Which would you use?

Hi

Yes your 9B is a fully differential balanced input and you get all the benefits of balanced lines.

james

Dave

post #1649 of 1676 Old 12-10-2014, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by highnelly View Post
Congratulations, highnelly, and welcome! Yours will be a wonderful system, giving you many years of superb listening. You'll find that the Brystonites on this thread are all very helpful, should you have questions on your gear. As the redoubtable gbaby notes, we're looking forward to hearing your assessment of your excellent new gear. Gbaby is also on point when he says that Bryston will be there to support you as an owner of their products.

Best,

RJ

BTW nice new avatar photo, gbaby!

Eschew obfuscation.
post #1650 of 1676 Old 12-11-2014, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoThere View Post

BTW nice new avatar photo, gbaby!
Thanks, but I have since replaced it with another photo. Can you guess who appears with me?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Arcam

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page