The Official Bryston SP3 Thread. - Page 59 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
post #1741 of 1754 Old 02-08-2015, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
Lots of experienced audiophiles say otherwise. The best location for higher frequencies--for imaging and soundstage, is usually not the best location for lower frequencies, where evening out the frequency response is necessary due to room modes.
When you introduce a sub for music in the stereo equation, you introduce problems like correct crossover frequency, slopes, filters as well as placement. Full range speakers obviate the need for a sub assuming the speakers have a low enough frequency response to play bass notes with authority and clarity. Full range speakers without a sub also gives a tighter more articulated bass and improves stereo imaging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 1754 Old 02-08-2015, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 37
those low frequency woofers use crossovers too, you know.

And they're still in a less than optimal location.

Anyway, I'm glad we're both enjoying our SP3's, and assorted gear.

Dave

post #1743 of 1754 Old 02-09-2015, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
those low frequency woofers use crossovers too, you know.

And they're still in a less than optimal location.

Anyway, I'm glad we're both enjoying our SP3's, and assorted gear.
I think when the speaker manufacturers design their speakers, drivers and crossover, they design them to eliminate or mitigate problems inherent with crossovers. Regardless, my opinion may be subwoofer, speaker, crossover frequency and room dependent so I guess there are no hard and fast rules regarding crossover frequency for subs. But, I have to continue to not use the sub on my system as it sounds better on 2 channel music without it.
post #1744 of 1754 Old 02-18-2015, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just noticed that the SP3 can now be turned on by hitting a source button rather than turned on by the Power button. It must be part of the upgrade. Has someone already discovered this feature.
post #1745 of 1754 Old 02-18-2015, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
I just noticed that the SP3 can now be turned on by hitting a source button rather than turned on by the Power button. It must be part of the upgrade. Has someone already discovered this feature.
I have. And I just got mine a few weeks ago. I downloaded the newest firmware when I got the SP3. Since my anthem D2 had that feature I instinctively started using it that way and it worked. So I was never aware that it was not available before.

I am still dealing with handshake issues (HDMI) and with getting the SP3 to work seamlessly with my Harmony remote. Still a work in progress I should say.

My take on Bryston and other "old school" two-channel high-end companies is that they must have gone through a steep learning curve adapting to the "new world" of multichannel, computer/software-centered equipment. In the old days, Bryston and other similar companies would put out a product that needed no (software) upgrades during its lifetime. Today, a piece of equipment like the SP3 is a computer that needs software upgrades to keep it up-to-date in an ever-changing environment.
post #1746 of 1754 Old 02-19-2015, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoff View Post
I have. And I just got mine a few weeks ago. I downloaded the newest firmware when I got the SP3.
Thanks for your response. By the way, you should not be having handshake issues I never have them.

Any longtime owners notice the SP3 can be turned on with the source button wherein before you could not do this?
post #1747 of 1754 Old 02-22-2015, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Any longtime owners notice the SP3 can be turned on with the source button wherein before you could not do this?
I didn't know but learned from Stan that it can be done when in stand-by by pressing one of the bottom sources key, for example press DVD etc). This was added after rev 07.
post #1748 of 1754 Old 02-22-2015, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I use a Harmony remote, soit's not something I would notice, or probably ever use. Good to know, though, I guess.

Dave

post #1749 of 1754 Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I use a Harmony remote, soit's not something I would notice, or probably ever use. Good to know, though, I guess.
Is it cumbersome or is it a hassle to program the Harmony?
post #1750 of 1754 Old Yesterday, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
I didn't know but learned from Stan that it can be done when in stand-by by pressing one of the bottom sources key, for example press DVD etc). This was added after rev 07.
Exactly. Next time you find out a useful upgrade feature, pass it on.
post #1751 of 1754 Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is it cumbersome or is it a hassle to program the Harmony?
It can be. Harmony has not done as good a job of getting Bryston components into the data base. And, as you know, Beyston has a bit of an odd way of how their buttons do things. Once you get things working, they're a joy to use. but, it can be frustrating.

At least you don't have to write code, like you have to do with some brands.

Dave

Last edited by moonhawk; Yesterday at 04:09 PM.
post #1752 of 1754 Unread Today, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It can be. Harmony has not done as good a job of getting Bryston components into the data base. And, as you know, Beyston has a bit of an odd way of how their buttons do things. Once you get things working, they're a joy to use. but, it can be frustrating.

At least you don't have to write code, like you have to do with some brands.
At least you were honest about it. I remember years ago a friend of mine programmed a Harmony, and I could not work it to save my life.
post #1753 of 1754 Unread Today, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Recently, my Velodyne HGS-18 started emitting a lot a static so I had to disconnect it. I think its amp is broken. so I had to reconfigure my system to play left and right full range with no sub. Well, I am embarrassed to say that I am back listening to music in surround again, and it sounds glorious.
post #1754 of 1754 Unread Today, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
At least you were honest about it.
Uhh... thanks, I guess.

I'm actually a fan of Harmony remotes, but they're weird with Bryston--or maybe Bryston doesn't like to give up their codes. My harmony controls the transport functions on my BDP, but not power on/off. I just leave it on all the time.

It does most stuff on the SP3 fine. The problem is changing activities, there is endless tinkering with timing delays, and making sure the remote understands the difference between toggle on/off and separate on/off buttons.

I had the Harmony One, their best remote ever, now discontinued. It still works, but I recently moved my Dish DVR over to a separate location and "upgraded" to the "Ultimate Home" model, which can control components in different locations by a combination of IR and UHF.

It was working fairly well, though still needing some tweaking, till the other day when I stupidly down latest their latest firmware, and now the touch screen lock seems to be permanently on, and you have to swipe out of the lock screen to get to any commands.

Ain't tech grand?..

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Arcam

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page