The Official Bryston SP3 Thread. - Page 60 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #1771 of 1774 Old Today, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by mv038856 View Post
I exclusively use Velodyne Digital Drive subwoofers and they have a sophisticated equalization system integrated and come with a calibrated mic that has been optimized for low frequencies. Depending on the version of the sub (w/ or w/o plus), the test sweep tone comes from the sub itself or from a CD. On a TV screen connected to the sub or with the Plus series on a connected PC, you can see the current frequency response and make your adjustments. You immediately see the effect of your adjustments. You can not only move the bands (parametric) but you can also adjust the slope of each filter. This way you can make adjustments for smaller or wider areas.

The Digital Drive series also offers Auto-EQ, but this feature never really convinced me. And since it is so easy and convenient to do it manually, there really is no need for the Auto-EQ, IMHO.

Velodyne also offers the parametric EQ in a separate product, which is the SMS-1. I think it is in the same product category as the device that Kal mentioned.

Cheers!

Markus
Yes, they are in the same category, nominally, but I have had consistently better results from the AM Dual-Core than from the SMS-1. I agree with you about using the Velodynes in the Auto-EQ mode because it uses only the fixed default frequencies and does not take advantage of the ability to vary frequency which the manual mode permits. OTOH, the AM Dual-Core works very well in auto mode and has more controllable variables.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 1774 Old Today, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post

What do you SP3 owners currently use to EQ your sub(s)? I don't really want to go through the learning curve of learning how to measure my room and apply filters, so, I am hoping to stay with an automatic system.

David
I do not use EQ with the Bryston SP3. I connected the Velodyhe SMS-1, but aside from the fact I may not have been using it correctly, I thought it compromised the sound in a way that I cannot articulate. Perhaps my room is sonically perfect which I sincerely doubt. But, I like the SP3 without room correction.
post #1773 of 1774 Old Today, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I wish the SP3 had room correction. The argument against it having room correction sounds hollow to me. Let the owner engage room correction if he/she wants to, but let owners have a choice. I am sure that most folks do NOT have a perfect room.
post #1774 of 1774 Old Today, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Thanks to all that responded regarding my question on an EQ for my subwoofer. What really has my interest at this point is using Dirac along with my laptop. I have read reviews which claim it is superior to what Audyssey does.

I guess I need to invest some time and educate myself on how to set-up a Dirac system and how to use it to EQ my sub.

Thanks again,
David

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Arcam

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page