The Official Bryston SP3 Thread. - Page 60 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
post #1771 of 1794 Old 03-02-2015, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by mv038856 View Post
I exclusively use Velodyne Digital Drive subwoofers and they have a sophisticated equalization system integrated and come with a calibrated mic that has been optimized for low frequencies. Depending on the version of the sub (w/ or w/o plus), the test sweep tone comes from the sub itself or from a CD. On a TV screen connected to the sub or with the Plus series on a connected PC, you can see the current frequency response and make your adjustments. You immediately see the effect of your adjustments. You can not only move the bands (parametric) but you can also adjust the slope of each filter. This way you can make adjustments for smaller or wider areas.

The Digital Drive series also offers Auto-EQ, but this feature never really convinced me. And since it is so easy and convenient to do it manually, there really is no need for the Auto-EQ, IMHO.

Velodyne also offers the parametric EQ in a separate product, which is the SMS-1. I think it is in the same product category as the device that Kal mentioned.

Cheers!

Markus
Yes, they are in the same category, nominally, but I have had consistently better results from the AM Dual-Core than from the SMS-1. I agree with you about using the Velodynes in the Auto-EQ mode because it uses only the fixed default frequencies and does not take advantage of the ability to vary frequency which the manual mode permits. OTOH, the AM Dual-Core works very well in auto mode and has more controllable variables.
jffein likes this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 1794 Old 03-02-2015, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post

What do you SP3 owners currently use to EQ your sub(s)? I don't really want to go through the learning curve of learning how to measure my room and apply filters, so, I am hoping to stay with an automatic system.

David
I do not use EQ with the Bryston SP3. I connected the Velodyhe SMS-1, but aside from the fact I may not have been using it correctly, I thought it compromised the sound in a way that I cannot articulate. Perhaps my room is sonically perfect which I sincerely doubt. But, I like the SP3 without room correction.
post #1773 of 1794 Old 03-02-2015, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I wish the SP3 had room correction. The argument against it having room correction sounds hollow to me. Let the owner engage room correction if he/she wants to, but let owners have a choice. I am sure that most folks do NOT have a perfect room.
post #1774 of 1794 Old 03-02-2015, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Thanks to all that responded regarding my question on an EQ for my subwoofer. What really has my interest at this point is using Dirac along with my laptop. I have read reviews which claim it is superior to what Audyssey does.

I guess I need to invest some time and educate myself on how to set-up a Dirac system and how to use it to EQ my sub.

Thanks again,
David

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #1775 of 1794 Old 03-03-2015, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Excuse my language, but you've got some good s__t.
Thanks. I happen to agree.

One of the reasons why I use a sub is because it is the Aerial SW-12 and is a perfect match for the 10Ts. As I pointed out before, I cross them over at a fairly high point only because they add a little bit more feel and don't degrade the sound, they blend with it. It took a long time to afford the SW-12 and I did without for many years and don't feel like I missed out on a lot without it. The 10Ts are quite strong and believable even at low frequencies. Tuning is always an ongoing process, but when you feel comfortable with it, you can toggle between full range mains and sub and it does add noticeably to the dynamics. I talked to Michael Kelly, the owner of Aerial Acoustics at length before I bought it and he is the one who originally told me to expect a bit more in the way of dynamics. I was directed to him by a dealer who claimed that Michael had an over stock of a particular finish SW-12 and would sell one to me cheap, otherwise I would never own one. I am glad to have it, it does make a difference. I find that I miss the addition of a dedicated LFE output moreso than EQ. I also have a less accurate but strong sub that I always used for LFE only. I would love to be able to configure it that way again. As it stands, I shut it off for music and power it for movies.
post #1776 of 1794 Old 03-03-2015, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jffein View Post
... As it stands, I shut it off for music and power it for movies.
It took me a LONG time to get to this point, but now that I'm here, I can testify it works. So for anyone who has full range speakers, try playing music with the sub off and the fronts set to full range. You'd be surprised at how much better music sounds, and you will finally be able to fully enjoy your main speakers.
post #1777 of 1794 Old 03-09-2015, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This weekend I was able to connect all ethernet sources, including the SP3, to my router via Cisco bridge. Now with 50mps internet service, I can control both my SP3, and BDP2 using my iPad. It is very convenient and its extremely fast. I'm a little late to this party, but I now understand how important it is to have adequate internet megabites. it makes all the difference in the world,
post #1778 of 1794 Old 03-09-2015, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
This weekend I was able to connect all ethernet sources, including the SP3, to my router via Cisco bridge. Now with 50mps internet service, I can control both my SP3, and BDP2 using my iPad. It is very convenient and its extremely fast. I'm a little late to this party, but I now understand how important it is to have adequate internet megabites. it makes all the difference in the world,
It is very convenient to be able to control the various units with an ipad. Bryston needs to work on the interface now. It is still a bit low tech.

David M.
post #1779 of 1794 Old 03-09-2015, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
It is very convenient to be able to control the various units with an ipad. Bryston needs to work on the interface now. It is still a bit low tech.
I thought so too prior to finding "SP3 Max." Try it as it mimics the face of the SP3.
post #1780 of 1794 Old 03-09-2015, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

What is SP3 max? I just type in the SP3's IP address and it emulates the front of the SP3. That, to me, is very low tech.

David M.
post #1781 of 1794 Old 03-09-2015, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What is SP3 max? I just type in the SP3's IP address and it emulates the front of the SP3. That, to me, is very low tech.
There were tabs on the SP3 interface, and one read SP3 max, I believe. I clicked on it and it showed the front of the SP3 with blue lights and all its functions. I may have the name wrong, but I will check it and let you know.
post #1782 of 1794 Old 03-09-2015, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There were tabs on the SP3 interface, and one read SP3 max, I believe. I clicked on it and it showed the front of the SP3 with blue lights and all its functions. I may have the name wrong, but I will check it and let you know.

David, I went home for lunch to make sure I gave you the correct info, and its just like I stated above. Check it out for yourself.
post #1783 of 1794 Old 03-10-2015, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
David, were you able to find SP3 max, yet?
post #1784 of 1794 Old 03-10-2015, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Yes. I see that it is a prettier version of the basic screen. I will try it out tonight. Thanks for pointing that out.

David M.
post #1785 of 1794 Old 03-12-2015, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes. I see that it is a prettier version of the basic screen. I will try it out tonight. Thanks for pointing that out.
David, have you tried it yet?
post #1786 of 1794 Old 03-12-2015, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

I have and it works. Just hoping for a bit of a tech upgrade. But it is fine for now.

David M.
post #1787 of 1794 Old 03-13-2015, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have and it works. Just hoping for a bit of a tech upgrade. But it is fine for now.
post #1788 of 1794 Old 03-13-2015, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Subwoofer With Music

Recently, I received the repaired amp for my sub from Velodyne. The sub is the Velodyne HGS-18. I was without the sub for about two weeks as it got held up in Memphis, Tennessee due to the snow. At any rate, during this two weeks period, I listened to both music and movie without the sub by making my main speakers large. I have come the the realization that for music, I need to always listen to it with the mains set to large and without the sub whether I listen in 2 channels or 7.1 channels. The bass frequencies simply sound tighter and more defined and articulated without the sub, and the speakers themselves, image better. Movies sounded better too, but I could tell that on some movies, the sub sonic bass frequencies were absent. So, for movies, I have decided that I am a victim of room modes or room nodes, whichever is the correct term for standing waves and resonances. My walls are white, and my question is, does anyone know where I can get some white bass traps for a reasonable price? I looked on Amazon, but those bass traps looked like the ones you see in radio stations which would kill my decor.
post #1789 of 1794 Old 03-21-2015, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
It took awhile, but my system is finally up and running.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3659.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	617297  
post #1790 of 1794 Old 03-21-2015, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnelly View Post
It took awhile, but my system is finally up and running.
It looks good to me. How is your sound?
post #1791 of 1794 Old 03-22-2015, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Everybody ,Bryston has a new firmware update for the SP3. It is 2015.03b I do not know what features it added.
post #1792 of 1794 Old 03-23-2015, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitom View Post
Hi Everybody ,Bryston has a new firmware update for the SP3. It is 2015.03b I do not know what features it added.
I was waiting for you to make the announcement. Welcome back Tom after your long vacation.
post #1793 of 1794 Old 03-23-2015, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thank you for the kind words Gbaby!
post #1794 of 1794 Unread Today, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
sp34k audio problem

hi,i have now this pre pro decoder,i'm from italy,it's all wonderful,my set up had now a beautiful upgrade,amp chord spm3005 ,avalon radian and symbol center for the front,i have a question sometimes in random mode the PRE /PRO loses ONLY the audio of my sky decoder,which is connected with a good coaxial cable to the spdf 1 ,this is the first time that i have this problem,cause with my other two processors the sony 9000es and the chord dsp 8000 it never happened,i try to change the cable and the decoder of sky but the problem was not resolved,can anyone help me ? is there in some hidden menu' some adjustement to prevent malfuction???and another question after a half an hour the processor become very hot is it normal??
than you all...alessandro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Arcam

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page