The Official Bryston SP3 Thread. - Page 61 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 16Likes
post #1801 of 1821 Old 04-02-2015, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alessandrofrignani View Post
hi everybody,i called the italian distributor,they tell me that (probably)the fault is of my decoders,very strange, because i never had with the others processors this problem,anyway i'll try to connect the sky receveir with a hdmi cable,hoping to resolve the random loss of audio signal...and yes jurgen my sp3 is the latest version with 4k board...can i ask you how long you own your sp3 and your impressions regarding this pre/pro also comparing it to your previous processors ? bye.... alessandro
I have mine a little longer than 3 years.
I bought the SP3 as a replacement for an Audionet (Germany) surround pre and a stereo pre. The Audionet surround pre didn't have a HDMI-input and was (thus) a little behind the developments, but its sound was very nice.
Before I bought the SP3 the distributor came along and demonstrated it at my home. So I had a direct comparison (but rather short). Anyway: I couldn't here a difference between the stereo signals between my stereo pre and the SP3 (in both cases digital input). So I sold the Audionet surround pre and the stereo pre and bought the SP3 - and I am happy with it.
But I am mainly a stereo listener; so after a while I bought a new developed stereo pre (Audionet DNP). Well I'm quite sure it was not really necessary (well, what is?), but it helped when the SP3 went to Canada for a repair - and for the DNP I don't need an extra tuner for getting radio.
alessandrofrignani likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 1821 Old 04-04-2015, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
Subs won't compromise the sound if implemented properly, i.e. placement, crossover, etc, any more than a full range speaker with a poorly designed crossover.
Since my sub amp was repaired by Velodyne, your statement above is ringing true. I'm back to playing 2 channel in DPLIIx music. Some compositions put you in a transcendental moment.
post #1803 of 1821 Old 04-11-2015, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
After stalking this thread for the last couple of years, I took the plunge and bought a SP3. It should arrive sometime at the end of next week. I debated the Krell Foundation and the Anthem D2v, but kept coming back to the SP3. I'm looking forward to hooking it up and seeing what it'll do to my room.
post #1804 of 1821 Old 04-21-2015, 08:20 AM

2014.12b Firmware

My SP3 arrived yesterday morning and I spent the better part of the day installing it and messing around. This morning I updated to the newest firmware, and I no longer have the green power light on above the power button when my unit is on. Anyone else encounter this?

I listened to some music and watched some of this season of The Walking Dead streamed from my oppo last night and I couldn't believe the clarity. Dialog was so crisp and clear. I actually jumped a couple of times when the zombies attacked! I listened to War's Cisco Kid album from HD Tracks via the oppo's balanced output and had a huge smile on my face. I still have some playing around to do which I plan to work on tonight. So far i'm amazed.

My set up is:
Bryston SP3
Anthem A5
Oppo BDP-105
Aperion Grand Versus (fronts/center)
Aperion Versus (surround)
JL Audio F112
All better cables XLR connects and speaker wires.
post #1805 of 1821 Old 04-22-2015, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleD View Post
... I couldn't believe the clarity. Dialog was so crisp and clear. ... So far i'm amazed.
I can feel with you here...

When I integrated the SP-3, which is in the lower two-digit serials, into my chain, I didn't recognize my speakers any more... such a difference did it make! Poor Onkyo PR-SC885P, which was its predecessor...

The Bryston SP-3 definitely is a stunning piece of equipment! I am amazed too!

Cheers!

Markus
post #1806 of 1821 Old 04-22-2015, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
After stalking this thread for the last couple of years, I took the plunge and bought a SP3. It should arrive sometime at the end of next week. I debated the Krell Foundation and the Anthem D2v, but kept coming back to the SP3. I'm looking forward to hooking it up and seeing what it'll do to my room.
Hello Kyle! Welcome to this thread. I have not been on this thread for a while, but I am glad to know its still alive, thanks to folks like you. As far as the other processors you named herein, I think Kal Rubinson's Stereophile review speaks volume and is probably the last word on the SP3. He compared the SP3 to those processor's you name which convinced me, upon audition that is, that the SP3 was the way to go. I have not looked back. Please report your assessment upon the completion of your evaluation.
post #1807 of 1821 Old 04-22-2015, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My SP3 arrived yesterday morning and I spent the better part of the day installing it and messing around. This morning I updated to the newest firmware, and I no longer have the green power light on above the power button when my unit is on. Anyone else encounter this?
I have never encountered this problem. Something must have gone wrong with the upgrade. I would re-install it as I installed the upgrade you have without a hitch. Remember you are uploading a "Bin" file which contains the upgrade.
post #1808 of 1821 Old 04-22-2015, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv038856 View Post
I can feel with you here...

When I integrated the SP-3, which is in the lower two-digit serials, into my chain, I didn't recognize my speakers any more... such a difference did it make! Poor Onkyo PR-SC885P, which was its predecessor...

The Bryston SP-3 definitely is a stunning piece of equipment! I am amazed too!

Cheers!

Markus
Hello Markus. Welcome aboard.
post #1809 of 1821 Old 04-22-2015, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
On second thought, the latest upgrade is actually 2015.03b. You may want to e-mail Mike Pickett from Bryston to send you a copy. By the way my XLR cables are blue truth cables from Bettercables.com.
post #1810 of 1821 Old 04-22-2015, 12:59 PM

According to the Bryston Support blog the 2015.04b was uploaded to their dropbox account today. I just emailed to find out how to get access. Anyone have any idea? If I find out I'll post it here.
post #1811 of 1821 Old 04-22-2015, 01:09 PM

... And that took me about 30 seconds to get a reply. The newest firmware is here (dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/189059481/SP3.bin) That's Bryston's dropbox location. I just installed it.
post #1812 of 1821 Old 04-23-2015, 02:25 AM

Liked: 1
Hi Folks

James Tanner here from Bryston - finally figured out how to join (LOL)

Anyway Stan is our expert on SP3's but I will try to help if possible as well.

Should I answer other questions here as well on Bryston or start a new thread???

james
post #1813 of 1821 Old 04-23-2015, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestanner@bryston.com View Post
Hi Folks

Should I answer other questions here as well on Bryston or start a new thread???

james
A Bryston Thread would be great. Lots of Bryston fans here w/a variety of other equipment that we would like to discuss.
post #1814 of 1821 Old 04-23-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
A Bryston Thread would be great. Lots of Bryston fans here w/a variety of other equipment that we would like to discuss.
OK great - how do I do that - through the admin?

james
post #1815 of 1821 Old 04-23-2015, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi Folks

james
Thank you James for joining this thread. We feel privileged to hear from you, as a top administrator from Bryston.
post #1816 of 1821 Old 04-23-2015, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
I just purchased a Bryston 2 channel amp. I cannot wait until it arrives. I guess I am a Bryston man now principally because I feel more secure buying Bryston products. My next purchases will be a BOT-1 and the BDA3.
post #1817 of 1821 Old 04-23-2015, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
OK great - how do I do that - through the admin?

james
I can't remember if you need a certain number of posts before you can start a thread. You would want to be the one and make a few posts at the start that you can come back at later dates and edit. Great idea for the electronics. Could also do a Bryston thread in the speakers section too.
post #1818 of 1821 Old 04-23-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
I can't remember if you need a certain number of posts before you can start a thread. You would want to be the one and make a few posts at the start that you can come back at later dates and edit. Great idea for the electronics. Could also do a Bryston thread in the speakers section too.
OK thanks - I will start to answer any questions I can on Bryston amps and speakers here to start.

james
gbaby likes this.
post #1819 of 1821 Old 04-23-2015, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Great to see a company exec here. I dont own any of your products, out of my league. But I do respect your company and your products. And your dacs must be incredible from all the reviews I have read.
gbaby likes this.
post #1820 of 1821 Old Yesterday, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Hi Folks

james
Hey James--It's about time!!

Welcome to AVS!

A separate Bryston thread would be most welcome. You should have no problem starting a thread after a few posts.
gbaby likes this.

Dave

post #1821 of 1821 Unread Today, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Thumbs up

IF you live in the New England area Gary Dayton will be at Audio Video Therapy in Nashua NH on May 6th. An excellent chance to hear some Bryston gear and get to ask some questions first hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Arcam

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page