The Official Bryston SP3 Thread. - Page 65 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 31Likes
post #1921 of 1945 Old 07-15-2015, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
I just purchased a Bryston SP3 to replace my Arcam AV9 processor. The comments on the Bryston SP3 on this forum are fragmented so I decided to start a thread where everyone can post their comments on this processor. While I have not connected my SP3, I will report on my assessment of this pre/pro as soon as I do.
[SIZE="4"][FONT="Arial Black"]
Hi gbaby

I am from china and I use sp3 for a long time,I really like it. But I still 2 questions.

First, the LIPSYNC'set in manual is (0-255 mSec[/COLOR]). But I can only set it to (39mSec), because of the projector's input lag,I need more time to make sure the Video and audio synchronization.

Second,can you give me the latested firmware with SP3? I have send my email for you!

thank you!
Tinza
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 1945 Old 07-15-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I just purchased a Bryston SP3 to replace my Arcam AV9 processor. The comments on the Bryston SP3 on this forum are fragmented so I decided to start a thread where everyone can post their comments on this processor. While I have not connected my SP3, I will report on my assessment of this pre/pro as soon as I do.
Hi gbaby

I am from china and I use sp3 for a long time,I really like it. But I still have 2 questions.

First, the LIPSYNC'set in manual is (0-255 mSec[/COLOR]). But I can only set it to (39mSec), because of the projector's input lag,I need more time to make sure the Video and audio synchronization.

Second,can you give me the latested firmware with SP3? I have send my email for you!

thank you!
Tinza
post #1923 of 1945 Old 07-15-2015, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinza View Post
Hi gbaby

I am from china and I use sp3 for a long time,I really like it. But I still have 2 questions.

thank you!
Tinza
Sure, I will try and send it to you.
post #1924 of 1945 Old 07-15-2015, 09:45 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Sure, I will try and send it to you.

hi, I just got the 2015 4B, and I think it will be the latest.

But when I successful upgrade it, the first problem still remains...

The LIPSYNC can only set it to (39mSec)...I need 100mSec or more.
post #1925 of 1945 Old 07-16-2015, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Even if my set LR to large, SP3 still gives me an option to set the crossover. If I set my Xover to 40, does it mean that it will send the LF to sub? Does this avoid additional A/D/A?

Speakers: Pioneer/TAD S-1EX, S-7EX, Ascend HTM200
Pre/Pro: Bel Canto Pre-6, Sherwood 972
Amp: D-Sonic M3-1200-A, D-sonic Magnum 7-3500
Source:Oppo 105, Ciunas DAC, SB Touch
post #1926 of 1945 Old 07-17-2015, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post
Even if my set LR to large, SP3 still gives me an option to set the crossover. If I set my Xover to 40, does it mean that it will send the LF to sub? Does this avoid additional A/D/A?
How many channels are you using? If you set your left and right main speakers to large, you should not be able to use the crossover on those speakers. As long as you are using a digital input you will have no A/D/A. A 40Hz crossover passes all frequencies below it to the sub.
post #1927 of 1945 Old 07-17-2015, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
How many channels are you using? If you set your left and right main speakers to large, you should not be able to use the crossover on those speakers. As long as you are using a digital input you will have no A/D/A. A 40Hz crossover passes all frequencies below it to the sub.
I'm using 7.1 channels with Mains set to large. I can still set the Xover for mains. After posting the questions I checked the manual it says the following. However, it does not state if there's additional A/D/A for analog sources.

This is from Page 43

b) Front speakers Large:
If you select Subwoofer ON, XTRA BASS OFF, and if the input stream does not
contain LFE channel (IN: .. .0) - then you will see OUT: ... .0 - indicating that
the subwoofer is not being used (all bass contents is being reproduced through the
front large speakers).
If you select Subwoofer ON, XTRA BASS OFF, and if the input stream
does contain LFE channel (IN: .. .1) - then you will see OUT: ... .1 - indicating
that the subwoofer is used (all bass contents is being reproduced through the front
large speakers but LFE goes through the Subwoofer).
If you select Subwoofer ON, XTRA BASS ON - then you will see OUT: ... .1 -
indicating that the subwoofer is used (all bass contents is reproduced through the
front large speakers and the Subwoofer at the same time, while the LFE if present
goes through the Subwoofer only.

Speakers: Pioneer/TAD S-1EX, S-7EX, Ascend HTM200
Pre/Pro: Bel Canto Pre-6, Sherwood 972
Amp: D-Sonic M3-1200-A, D-sonic Magnum 7-3500
Source:Oppo 105, Ciunas DAC, SB Touch
post #1928 of 1945 Old 07-22-2015, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Hi everyone - I just wanted to drop a note and subscribe to this forum since I just placed an order for an SP3 yesterday. It should arrive on Saturday - very excited! I'm upgrading from a Denon 4308ci receiver, and pairing the SP3 with an Outlaw 7700 amp. I also picked up an Oppo 103D Blu-Ray player while I was in the shopping mood. My speaker setup is Paradigm Signature S8s for L/R and C5 for Center. I still have some old Paradigm monitors for the surround channels. I'm hoping to upgrade those soon.
wagnerc likes this.
post #1929 of 1945 Old 07-22-2015, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dla26 View Post
Hi everyone - I just wanted to drop a note and subscribe to this forum since I just placed an order for an SP3 yesterday. It should arrive on Saturday - very excited! I'm upgrading from a Denon 4308ci receiver, and pairing the SP3 with an Outlaw 7700 amp. I also picked up an Oppo 103D Blu-Ray player while I was in the shopping mood. My speaker setup is Paradigm Signature S8s for L/R and C5 for Center. I still have some old Paradigm monitors for the surround channels. I'm hoping to upgrade those soon.
I am looking forward to hearing your impressions of how the SP3 compares against your 4308ci for multi-channel/HT.

I am currently stressing to determine how much improvement I will notice if I upgrade my Marantz 8801 to the SP3.

If I were into 2channel listening I am sure the upgrade cost would be worth it. However, at this point in my life I use my system almost entirely for HT. Therefore, I wonder if the improvement in sound quality will be worth the cash outlay to upgrade. The Marantz already sounds pretty darn good for HT.

Another consideration is Audyssey XT32 RC utilized by Marantz, compared to zero room correction on the SP3. I will need to go with either the Dirac unit or an anti mode (even further cash).

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #1930 of 1945 Old 07-22-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
I am looking forward to hearing your impressions of how the SP3 compares against your 4308ci for multi-channel/HT.

I am currently stressing to determine how much improvement I will notice if I upgrade my Marantz 8801 to the SP3.

If I were into 2channel listening I am sure the upgrade cost would be worth it. However, at this point in my life I use my system almost entirely for HT. Therefore, I wonder if the improvement in sound quality will be worth the cash outlay to upgrade. The Marantz already sounds pretty darn good for HT.

Another consideration is Audyssey XT32 RC utilized by Marantz, compared to zero room correction on the SP3. I will need to go with either the Dirac unit or an anti mode (even further cash).
My usage is 70% movies, 25% games, 5% music. Fortunately (?) the HDMI board on my 7-year old Denon was starting to go, so I needed to upgrade to something. I'm not sure I could have justified the purchase if I had a perfectly good working receiver, though I had been hoping to upgrade to separates eventually. I mainly looked at the SP3 and the Classe SSP-800, and ultimately went with the SP3 because it seemed to be more focused on HT.

My next big upgrade (which is probably at least a year off) is to remodel the entire room - new carpeting, acoustic curtains, bass traps, acoustic panels, etc. When that happens, I'm planning on having a professional come in and calibrate the entire system by hand. No point in paying someone to do that now if my room will change significantly soon. Until then, I'm going to try and set it up myself using my Radio Shack sound level meter and a tape measure.
post #1931 of 1945 Old 07-22-2015, 10:36 AM

I should also point out that I don't think I would have been able to justify buying it at full price. I was able to find a great deal on a unit that had been sold a month before but returned due to a faulty HDMI board. (Ironically, the same problem I have with my Denon. ) The dealer replaced the unit for the original customer and had Bryston repair the original unit. Since it had gone out for a repair and was technically used, I was able to get it for about half price.
post #1932 of 1945 Old 07-22-2015, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
My usage is 70% movies, 25% games, 5% music. Fortunately (?) the HDMI board on my 7-year old Denon was starting to go, so I needed to upgrade to something. I'm not sure I could have justified the purchase if I had a perfectly good working receiver, though I had been hoping to upgrade to separates eventually. I mainly looked at the SP3 and the Classe SSP-800, and ultimately went with the SP3 because it seemed to be more focused on HT.

My next big upgrade (which is probably at least a year off) is to remodel the entire room - new carpeting, acoustic curtains, bass traps, acoustic panels, etc. When that happens, I'm planning on having a professional come in and calibrate the entire system by hand. No point in paying someone to do that now if my room will change significantly soon. Until then, I'm going to try and set it up myself using my Radio Shack sound level meter and a tape measure.
Like you the SSP800 is also one I am considering. What version of Audyssey does your Denon have? I'm curious of how the non-eq'd sp3 fares against the mass-produced Denon with the advantage of room correction.

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #1933 of 1945 Old 07-22-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
Like you the SSP800 is also one I am considering. What version of Audyssey does your Denon have? I'm curious of how the non-eq'd sp3 fares against the mass-produced Denon with the advantage of room correction.
I believe it's Audyssey MultEQ XT.
post #1934 of 1945 Old 07-24-2015, 09:00 AM

After I successfully updated 2015 4b, when I input 4K signal to the SP3 ,it can not output to the projector.

Whether there is any special Settings when 4K signal input?

And what is HDMI DEEPCOLOR means?

Thank you!
post #1935 of 1945 Old 07-24-2015, 12:08 PM

Stan Bleszynski have replay us by email.

You need to make sure that you do have 4K board, in SYSTEM SETUP-->TESTS-->SYSTEM STATUS-->HDMI VERSN 00B229 or ..22A

Deep color is the maximum frequency limit for HDMI digital clock, for 4K it should be 300 (MHz). For non-4K board 200 MHz.

If your board HDMI firmware is version ..29 then it will play 25 and 30Hz video mode 4K, but not 60Hz. If you update it to ..22A then it will add one 60Hz 4K video mode.

http://support.bryston.com/forum/vie...php?f=29&t=234

http://support.bryston.com/forum/vie...php?f=29&t=195

Application notes 5 on HDMI - specs for the non-4K and 4K boards
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1890 ... Notes5.doc

How to update HDMI board firmware, see in:

Explanations of parameters and options in the MISCELLANEOUS and OTHER menus
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1890 ... cOther.doc

But I still can not found any information with "HOW tO UPDATE HDMI BOARD FIRMWARE"...
post #1936 of 1945 Old 07-27-2015, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 77
The Official Bryston SP3 Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinza View Post
And what is HDMI DEEPCOLOR means?

Deep Colour is part of the HDMI 1.3 spec allowing transmission of greater than 8- bit colors (10, 12, 16 bits) per video channel. Unfortunately all DVD and Blu-rays are mastered in 8-bit colors, so turning on Deep Color does nothing except pad the signal with extra zeroes and waste bandwidth. It is recommended to leave this turned OFF in the BD Player to simplify the HDMI protocol and reduce bandwidth demands on the connection, unless you are making your own movies!

But this has nothing to do with your SP3 firmware question. The answer is in the FIRST line of Stan's post :

1) If the SP3 unit was upgraded to 4K capable HDMI board...

and again his email:

"You need to make sure that you do have 4K board..."

Do you have the hardware upgrade?
Firmware alone isn't going to give you the 300MHz board.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.

Last edited by AVfile; 07-27-2015 at 06:35 PM.
post #1937 of 1945 Old 07-27-2015, 08:13 PM

Did I do something wrong, or is my new SP3 defective?

I just got my SP3 set up in my HT. Along with it, I got a new amplifier (Outlaw Audio 7700). I'm not sure why, but it's popping like crazy. It's really bad when I adjust the volume. Every click of the dial is a giant pop sound from my speakers. If I turn the dial quickly, it sounds like a machine gun. It also happens whenever I switch HDMI inputs - from DVD to CD, etc.

I set it up with XLR balanced outputs connected to the Outlaw 7700. The only non-XLR output is the sub, which is connected via RCA.

At first I thought it was the amp's fault, but I turned off the amp so that only the sub is connected, and it did the same thing. (Likewise, I disconnected the sub and tried it with just the amp, and still had the problem.)

Once I got to the right volume setting and didn't have to fiddle with it, everything sounded great.

One last piece of info is that I bought this as a refurbished unit from an authorized Bryson dealer. It originally had a bad HDMI card, so the first owner returned it. The dealer sent it back to Bryson for repair, and after it came back, the dealer then sold it to me. I'm wondering if the HDMI card wasn't the problem. Before I contact Bryson for another repair, I want to make sure I didn't do something wrong first.

(And one other problem - the triggers don't seem to work, so my amp doesn't turn on automatically. I actually have to unplug it from the amp for it to turn on. The menu setting says the triggers are on, so I don't think it's user error. Then again, no one thinks it's user error...)
post #1938 of 1945 Old 07-28-2015, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
1. Please let Stan Bleszynski of Bryston [sbleszynski@bryston.com] know about the plops.
I have contact with him about the 'plopping occurrence ' of my SP3. (It only happens with Blu Rays and only just before the film is starting.) As you describe it it seems too far fetched to me that both 'plopping occurrences' have a common reason, but no one knows and at least I don't know.

2. I suppose you know that the triggers must be set for each input separately. If not please have a check if they are on for the input you use.

Last edited by Jurgen; 07-28-2015 at 01:33 AM.
post #1939 of 1945 Old 07-28-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
1. Please let Stan Bleszynski of Bryston [sbleszynski@bryston.com] know about the plops.
I have contact with him about the 'plopping occurrence ' of my SP3. (It only happens with Blu Rays and only just before the film is starting.) As you describe it it seems too far fetched to me that both 'plopping occurrences' have a common reason, but no one knows and at least I don't know.

2. I suppose you know that the triggers must be set for each input separately. If not please have a check if they are on for the input you use.
Thank you. I actually called Bryston and spoke to someone named Mike who was very helpful. He said that it sounded like a defect and would have to be sent back for repair, so I'm going to pack it up to ship it back to them.

I have some guests coming over this weekend, though, so I'm thinking of seeing what happens if I disconnect the amp and sub, power on the SP3 and adjust it to the right input and volume, and then plug the amp and sub back in and hit play on the Blu-Ray player. If that works with a minimal amount of popping, I might hold onto it until my guests leave so we can watch some movies while they're here. Obviously that's not a long term solution...

RE: the triggers, I'm actually using the trigger outs, since it's supposed to send a signal to my amp to turn on. I checked that each of the 3 triggers is set to on. I also tried each trigger output just in case one of them was bad, but none seem to work. But I may be misunderstanding what you mean by "the triggers must be set for each input separately." My gut says the trigger thing is unrelated to the popping, so I'm much more inclined to think that it's user error.

One last question - Is it possible to do only audio output from the SP3? I tried my experiment of disconnecting the amp and the subs, getting it to the right input and volume, etc. to try it out with a CD. After I reconnected the amp and sub, I was surprised to find that there was no audio. One thing I'm thinking is that since HDMI carries both audio and video info, if the video is off then it won't play the audio either. My old Denon didn't have that problem, but I'm wondering if the SP3 works that way since it just video just passes through without any processing? If so, that could be a big problem for me, since my speakers are part of my whole HT, and I don't want to have to fire up the projector every time I want to listen to music...
post #1940 of 1945 Old 07-28-2015, 02:05 PM

(Quick update: Spoke with Mike at Bryston. He's not sure what's going on with the triggers, so it could still be user error but they'll check when they the unit back. The issue of playing only audio was definitely user error. I hadn't selected HDMI.)
post #1941 of 1945 Old 07-29-2015, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The triggers, like the levels of the speakers, ..., can be set on or off per each of the inputs 1-8, ... (Front row) separately.
So one could turn them on for let's say 1, but using (HDMI) 2.

Last edited by Jurgen; 07-29-2015 at 12:25 AM.
post #1942 of 1945 Old 07-30-2015, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
(Quick update: Spoke with Mike at Bryston. He's not sure what's going on with the triggers, so it could still be user error but they'll check when they the unit back. The issue of playing only audio was definitely user error. I hadn't selected HDMI.)
Once you get the hang of it, i.e., understanding that you have to select the correct digital input whether HDMI or Digital, then the SP3 is easy to operate. I find since I've upgraded that the SP3 has no meaningful operational quirks and it operates like a finely tuned swiss watch.
post #1943 of 1945 Old 07-31-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
I'm not sure why, but it's popping like crazy. It's really bad when I adjust the volume. Every click of the dial is a giant pop sound from my speakers. If I turn the dial quickly, it sounds like a machine gun. It also happens whenever I switch HDMI inputs - from DVD to CD, etc.

I set it up with XLR balanced outputs connected to the Outlaw 7700. The only non-XLR output is the sub, which is connected via RCA.
Make sure your XLR cables are wired with the correct pinout convention:
Pin 1 ground, pin 2 positive, pin 3 negative

Bryston and Outlaw use the same convention so a standard XLR cable should work, without any crossing, but I mention this in case you have non-standard cables from a previous setup.

You might also have a bad ground or something. If in doubt try some unbalanced RCA cables.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.

Last edited by AVfile; 07-31-2015 at 12:29 PM.
post #1944 of 1945 Old 07-31-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
The triggers, like the levels of the speakers, ..., can be set on or off per each of the inputs 1-8, ... (Front row) separately.
So one could turn them on for let's say 1, but using (HDMI) 2.
Sorry, I thought I had replied to this, but it's not showing up, so I must not have! I found out about the input-specific trigger settings from talking with Mike from Bryston. When I checked, all 3 trigger outputs were all set to on for all inputs 1-8. I'm hoping this will work as expected when I get the replacement. Otherwise, it could mean that the amp and the Bryston use different trigger settings somehow. Mike mentioned that there's no industry standard, so there's a chance that they could be different. Right now I'm just hoping that it's either user error or the defective unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
Make sure your XLR cables are wired with the correct pinout convention:
Pin 1 ground, pin 2 positive, pin 3 negative

Bryston and Outlaw use the same convention so a standard XLR cable should work, without any crossing, but I mention this in case you have non-standard cables from a previous setup.

You might also have a bad ground or something. If in doubt try some unbalanced RCA cables.
I'll double check the cables when I get my replacement unit, but I'm pretty sure those are plugged in correctly, since I'm getting the same problem with my subwoofer, which is connected via RCA and doesn't go through my Outlaw amp. Also, I was able to watch a movie perfectly fine as long as I didn't touch the volume or let the Bryston switch surround modes. (I just leave the amp off and the sub unplugged from the Bryston until the movie starts. Then I turn everything on/reconnect everything, and it all sounds great.
post #1945 of 1945 Unread Today, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Stereo 7.1

Has anyone tried the Stereo 7.1 surround for music on the SP3. I did not know it existed, but I cycled through the surround modes and found it. It was so enveloping and natural sounding that I left it. It really sounds great and for those with a 7.1 setup, I encourage you to try it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Arcam

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page