The Official Bryston SP3 Thread. - Page 66 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 31Likes
post #1951 of 1977 Old 08-26-2015, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
There is a 72 page manual available by googling "Bryston SP3 manual." Also, to preset the volume, press the let arrow and press "System Setup." After getting into "System Setuo," scroll down to "Miscellanious," press it and you will see category called "Preset Volume. Hope this is intelligible.
Perhaps It's good to add that the SP3 has general settings and settongs for each inputnumber (front) seperately.

To choose a seperate setting one has go to the setupmenu after having chosen the specific input; e.g.the one the PS4 is connected to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 1977 Old 08-26-2015, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
Perhaps It's good to add that the SP3 has general settings and settongs for each inputnumber (front) seperately.

To choose a seperate setting one has go to the setupmenu after having chosen the specific input; e.g.the one the PS4 is connected to.
Added.
post #1953 of 1977 Old 08-26-2015, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
There is a 72 page manual available by googling "Bryston SP3 manual." Also, to preset the volume, press the let arrow and press "System Setup." After getting into "System Setuo," scroll down to "Miscellanious," press it and you will see category called "Preset Volume. Hope this is intelligible.
I think that's the manual I got with my unit. They must have been sending out a more abridged manual in the past.

I see. So you set the startup volume for the entire device, not customized to each input. That should be fine. I was under the impression that you could set it so that the Blu-Ray player comes on at one volume, the PS4 at another, etc. The Wii U in particular is fairly loud, so I was hoping to set it so the volume was automatically lowered.

But if it's one setting for the whole unit, I can live with that!

Thank you!
post #1954 of 1977 Old 08-26-2015, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 156
At least this has a startup volume. The Foundation doesn't. It would be nice to have.
post #1955 of 1977 Old 08-26-2015, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla26 View Post
I think that's the manual I got with my unit. They must have been sending out a more abridged manual in the past.

I see. So you set the startup volume for the entire device, not customized to each input. That should be fine. I was under the impression that you could set it so that the Blu-Ray player comes on at one volume, the PS4 at another, etc.

Thank you!
You may be able to set the startup volume for each input by setting the unit to individual rather than global; I don't know because I never tried it.
post #1956 of 1977 Old 08-26-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla26 View Post

I see. So you set the startup volume for the entire device, not customized to each input. That should be fine. I was under the impression that you could set it so that the Blu-Ray player comes on at one volume, the PS4 at another, etc. The Wii U in particular is fairly loud, so I was hoping to set it so the volume was automatically lowered.

But if it's one setting for the whole unit, I can live with that!

Thank you!
What you want to do is possible: a volumesetting for each input seperately.
As I'm on holiday I can't give you at the moment detailed information.
( From your description of what you want I think you don't want to have different startupvolumes, but different inputlevels, because say the Blu Ray player gives a louder outputsignal then the let's say the PS4.)

Last edited by Jurgen; 08-26-2015 at 11:06 AM.
post #1957 of 1977 Old 08-26-2015, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Question for those using BDP-2 :

What software do you use to rip your CD's to your computer?

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #1958 of 1977 Old 08-26-2015, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post

I am using iTunes and I am only ripping 44.1/16. I find that most hi res play louder but are not as natural sounding as ripping red book CDs. I own about 50 hi res albums, and I have been mostly unimpressed. The fact that I can use a balanced digital input on the SP3 makes the BDP-2 special. Its my best sounding source that I now use exclusively to other sources for music. I thought about the BOT-1, but for me its unnecessary as I find ripping the CDs on my computer to be quick and hassle free.
post #1959 of 1977 Old 08-26-2015, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
At least this has a startup volume. The Foundation doesn't. It would be nice to have.
Look at the money you saved.
post #1960 of 1977 Old 08-26-2015, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep. I also sold the Foundation two weeks ago. Now I am looking for something high end that has atmos and dtsx that won't break the bank.
Believe it or not I think I am actually going to buy the Emotiva XMR 1 when or if it comes out.
post #1961 of 1977 Old 08-26-2015, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

I use dBpoweramp.

post #1962 of 1977 Old 08-26-2015, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I am using iTunes and I am only ripping 44.1/16. I find that most hi res play louder but are not as natural sounding as ripping red book CDs. I own about 50 hi res albums, and I have been mostly unimpressed. The fact that I can use a balanced digital input on the SP3 makes the BDP-2 special. Its my best sounding source that I now use exclusively to other sources for music. I thought about the BOT-1, but for me its unnecessary as I find ripping the CDs on my computer to be quick and hassle free.
Thanks Gbaby.

Has anyone compared using iTunes to JRiver with regard to sound quality?

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #1963 of 1977 Old 08-26-2015, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Thanks Gbaby.

Has anyone compared using iTunes to JRiver with regard to sound quality?
Are you asking as a live source from a PC or as a mechanism to rip CDs? I compared running ITunes through an HP laptop to Apple TV 1st Gen as compared to the CD from a Denon player and after a bunch of time spent I finally found a Rusted Root song where I could definitively say the CD was superior. Before that I believed that may be true but couldn't prove it to myself. The issue may have been the Apple TV but others on this forum felt ITunes was the culprit. I think having a dedicated music player like the BDP would take it up a serious notch or more.
post #1964 of 1977 Old 08-27-2015, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
Are you asking as a live source from a PC or as a mechanism to rip CDs? I compared running ITunes through an HP laptop to Apple TV 1st Gen as compared to the CD from a Denon player and after a bunch of time spent I finally found a Rusted Root song where I could definitively say the CD was superior. Before that I believed that may be true but couldn't prove it to myself. The issue may have been the Apple TV but others on this forum felt ITunes was the culprit. I think having a dedicated music player like the BDP would take it up a serious notch or more.

My question was only in regard to ripping CD's.

post #1965 of 1977 Old 08-27-2015, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 78
The Official Bryston SP3 Thread.

If you rip a CD with error detection enabled, i.e. not the highest speed, then it should be perfect. Exact Audio Copy (EAC) used to be the only program audiophiles trusted but now even iTunes has the option.

Of course it is limited to 44/16 because that is what's on the CD. You can't "rip" a CD into high res. However I would invest in a system that supports high-res (for file downloads) like JRiver or Bryston. Proprietary systems like Apple iTunes have too many restrictions and limitations.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.

Last edited by AVfile; 08-27-2015 at 06:38 AM.
post #1966 of 1977 Old 08-27-2015, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 78
The Official Bryston SP3 Thread.

Quote:
Now I am looking for something high end that has atmos and dtsx that won't break the bank.

I would wait for reviews of the upcoming Anthem AVM-60 then. Supposed to be under $4000.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #1967 of 1977 Old 08-27-2015, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yep. I also sold the Foundation two weeks ago. Now I am looking for something high end that has atmos and dtsx that won't break the bank.
Believe it or not I think I am actually going to buy the Emotiva XMR 1 when or if it comes out.

What is break the bank prices? Datasat has the LS10 which will have all 3 advanced codecs once the upgrades arrive later this fall I believe plus it should be getting HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 updates as well.

post #1968 of 1977 Old 08-27-2015, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Another thought would be to grab one of the Theta Casablanca's that are being sold on Audiogon by I believe Craig Shumer (user VGI here on AVS) owner of Theatermax. These units are being sold at very attractive prices and the Casablanca's can be upgraded as money becomes available. It's already been announced that the CBIVa platform will be 12 channels and support Auro3D, Dolby Atmos and dts:X.

The one major downside I seen in the Casablanca platform as a whole is the extremely limited number of HDMI inputs, only a paltry 4. Units at this price point really should have at least 6 if not 8 or more in my opinion.

post #1969 of 1977 Old 08-27-2015, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I have considered the Theta. I have their new Dreadnaught D that I just love. The datasat I don't like the looks of. And never even considered due to pricing.

I have talked with Craig/VGI about the Theta. He sold me my Dreadnaught. Very good to deal with. And the best salesman ever. He gets real excited talking about this stuff.
post #1970 of 1977 Old 08-27-2015, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have considered the Theta. I have their new Dreadnaught D that I just love. The datasat I don't like the looks of. And never even considered due to pricing.

I have talked with Craig/VGI about the Theta. He sold me my Dreadnaught. Very good to deal with. And the best salesman ever. He gets real excited talking about this stuff.

Yeah LS10 is a very bland looking unit aesthetically speaking. If it wasn't for the poor Canadian dollar I would probably be all over one of those Theta's that Craig sells. It's nice to hear you have had a good experience buying from him.

post #1971 of 1977 Old 08-27-2015, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think that having a balanced digital input is even more important than ATMOS if you like music. So, when you get your new processor, keep this in mind.
post #1972 of 1977 Old 08-27-2015, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I will take that into account. But I don't know of many products that have a balanced digital input. Balanced analog inputs yes. But balanced digital? Point me in the right direction.
post #1973 of 1977 Old Today, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Triggers

How do I change the trigger output to be high? Right now it is only putting out 3 mV. My preamp needs a 12 mV output for home theater bypass.

David M.
post #1974 of 1977 Unread Today, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
How do I change the trigger output to be high? Right now it is only putting out 3 mV. My preamp needs a 12 mV output for home theater bypass.
See the manual. Search for trigger.
post #1975 of 1977 Unread Today, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
See the manual. Search for trigger.
It is not in there. There are 22 instances of "trigger" but none explain HOW to change the voltage output.

David M.
post #1976 of 1977 Unread Today, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
It is not in there. There are 22 instances of "trigger" but none explain HOW to change the voltage output.
On page 10 (or 9; depends which pagenumer; under 14.) of the manual (download from the SP3 website).
Iit says: go to sources - trigger, then you should be able to change the voltage. (I'm not at home, so I can't try.)
If one doesn't see an option for voltage change right away, I would turn the volume knob and see if it helps.
If it doesn't I would try the surround mode buuttons.
If that doesn't help, I would contact Stan.

Last edited by Jurgen; Today at 04:13 PM.
post #1977 of 1977 Unread Today, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
On page 10 (or 9; depends which pagenumer; under 14.) of the manual (download from the SP3 website).
Iit says: go to sources - trigger, then you should be able to change the voltage. (I'm not at home, so I can't try.)
If one doesn't see an option for voltage change right away, I would turn the volume knob and see if it helps.
If it doesn't I would try the surround mode buuttons.
If that doesn't help, I would contact Stan.
I appreciate you trying to help. I can't see how you get to the output setting.

David M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Arcam

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page