The Official Bryston SP3 Thread. - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #1981 of 1994 Old 08-31-2015, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Ok I guess I should put it another way. I have never had a component with balanced digital input or output. Are these only on real high end gear? Or is it common to see it on cheaper gear? Other than pro gear what are the advantages?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 1994 Old 09-01-2015, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
I'm new to this thread and thinking about replacing a Cary Cinema 12 with an SP 3. Does the SP 3 accept DSD surround via HDMI, is it free of noises (clicks and pops) when switching HDMI sources, and can speaker crossovers be set individually? I suspect sound with the SP 3 may be a bit superior to that with the C12.

db
The SP3 does not do DSD, only PCM. I can't answer for sure on clicks and pops but don't believe so. Only issue I observed is it takes a second or so to relock on a signal when changing. A bit frustrating when wanting to hear the beginning of a song.
post #1983 of 1994 Old 09-01-2015, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
The SP3 does not do DSD, only PCM. I can't answer for sure on clicks and pops but don't believe so. Only issue I observed is it takes a second or so to relock on a signal when changing. A bit frustrating when wanting to hear the beginning of a song.
I have no relock problems with my SP3. I don't have a problem with hearing the beginning of a song. There is no cut off of the first few seconds. As far as DSD, I looked at catalog of music and found that there is not one title that I have any interest in, and I was totally unfamiliar with the artist on DSD. I like modern music so I have no need for DSD. Its a PCM world. If you are a classical music lover, then DSD is something you need to pursue.
post #1984 of 1994 Old 09-01-2015, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 71
As I understand it, there is a delicate balance between suppressing audio during HDMI handshakes and missing the start of a track. Bryston may be on the suppression side, Cary on the minimizing audio loss side even though occasional noisy handshakes assault the listener. The Cary does accept surround DSD.

db
post #1985 of 1994 Old 09-02-2015, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
As I understand it, there is a delicate balance between suppressing audio during HDMI handshakes and missing the start of a track. Bryston may be on the suppression side, Cary on the minimizing audio loss side even though occasional noisy handshakes assault the listener. The Cary does accept surround DSD.

db
I have always wondered how processors like the Foundation and perhaps the Cary can do multi-channel DSD. Does it convert to PCM when you use bass managagement?
post #1986 of 1994 Old 09-02-2015, 03:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
I have always wondered how processors like the Foundation and perhaps the Cary can do multi-channel DSD. Does it convert to PCM when you use bass managagement?
Indeed.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #1987 of 1994 Old 09-02-2015, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Yes gbaby with the Foundation I ran all speakers fullrange. I have identical spkrs all around x7. They play flat to 40hz . So to me it was incredible.

In fact I had one hdcd that I would play with my oppo 105. The oppo sends out hdcd. I sold the 105 because the dacs in the Foundation were the same. My new bluray player when playing the same cd sounds not as good. All regular cd's sound the same or close enough that I really can't tell the difference. But that one Keiko Matsui hdcd when played back is not as layered,or smooth.
post #1988 of 1994 Old 09-02-2015, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I use a Sony XA5400ES to play surround SACDs. The Cary Cinema 12 displays DSD. As far as I can tell there is no bass management and the subs are not activated -- a small blue light on the Velodyne HGS-15s comes on when the sub is active, and I don't see that light. With non-DSD, bass management by the Cary seems very effective.

db
post #1989 of 1994 Old Yesterday, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Indeed.
Thanks. Your answers are always succinct. Well in that case, that means only 2 channels are DSD and multichannel is PCM 176/24. Not bad though.
post #1990 of 1994 Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks. Your answers are always succinct. Well in that case, that means only 2 channels are DSD and multichannel is PCM 176/24. Not bad though.
Not true with the Cary Cinema 12 or 11a. Multichannel is DSD as well. IIRC, Kal Rubinson really liked the sound of PCM from the Sony XA5400ES through the Bryson SP-3, a combination I may soon try if I buy a used SP-3.

db
post #1991 of 1994 Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not true with the Cary Cinema 12 or 11a. Multichannel is DSD as well. IIRC, Kal Rubinson really liked the sound of PCM from the Sony XA5400ES through the Bryson SP-3, a combination I may soon try if I buy a used SP-3.

db
I think all mult-channel DSD processors convert to PCM when you use a crossover frequency for a sub unless you use the "large" speaker setting with no crossover frequency. As far as a used SP-3, I don't think you can go wrong. I am still enamored with mine, and with the BDP-2 using its balanced digital output, music never sounded better. It sort of reminds me of that reel to reel sound from an old TEAC tape recorded I owned.
post #1992 of 1994 Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
I think all mult-channel DSD processors convert to PCM when you use a crossover frequency for a sub unless you use the "large" speaker setting with no crossover frequency.
Yes. No AVR or prepro, afaik, can do any DSP on DSD, so a conversion to PCM is necessary. Of course, not everyone needs to do bass management.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #1993 of 1994 Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Yes. No AVR or prepro, afaik, can do any DSP on DSD, so a conversion to PCM is necessary. Of course, not everyone needs to do bass management.
Kal, thank you for the confirmation. Well dbphd, there is your answer.
post #1994 of 1994 Old Today, 12:05 AM
Advanced Member

I'm not sure what the Cary Cinema 12 does internally when presented with DSD, but I'm pretty sure it does no speaker management. I've not seen the subs activated unless the SACD is the rare 5.1. The center channel is not distributed to the LR channels if the input is bitstream. I discovered this when the Blue-ray The Devil Wears Prada had no dialog. Setting the output of the Oppo 105 to LPCM restored dialog -- I've since added a center channel. My experience with the Sony XA5400ES and Cary C12 is limited to surround, because I prefer the Ayre C-5xeMP through the Parasound JC 2 BP for stereo. The Oppo 105 is used with the Cary C12 for HT with Blue-ray and a DirecTV HR44 HD DVR as sources, and the subs are frequently activated with those sources.

db
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Arcam

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page