The Official Bryston SP3 Thread. - Page 72 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

Old 10-20-2016, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluseman View Post
Greetings, new to the sp3, (and forums use in gereral). I purchased a used one, not 4K witch is no problem for me. I have two issues, I need to keep the hdmi on when I select balance 1, does any one know how to set this up? The hdmi is my PC, I have a PSaudio DAC on balance 1 and Roon on PC, can use roon app on iPad for roon but prefer the projector.
Also, when I turn off the unit, I have to unplug and plug back in for the power switch to power on the unit. Must be a setting wrong. Any ideas are appreciated.
I have just been leaving on unless leaving for a few days. Using bryston amps.
Love the sound of this unit. The logic of the setup is nice once you get the hang of it. Thank you
I called Bryston, they walked me through and set it up with the features I needed. All good
AVfile likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2016, 02:44 PM
DRC

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Bryston SP3 with 4K upgrade board

Hi
I have not been on this thread for a while and am looking for advice. I have 1 of the original SP3's with Serial no 112.
I am moving to 4K and would like to continue to use the SP3 as it was intended for video pass thru. I see that they have replaced the original HDMI board which was a Momentum Data Systems HSR8-3D around 2015 with the HSR-82.2 HDMI board.
Has anyone upgraded their SP3 with this new HDMI board?
I ask because this new board still does NOT support HDR and is NOT HDMI 2.0a.
I realize it is almost impossible for Bryston to "chase" HDMI's always changing specs. But a few things, especially HDR are critical to get the full benefits of SUHD.
My question is, has anyone used their SP3 with the new HDMI board and passed thru HDR? What errors would I expect if the projector and source both support HDR? HDMI 1.4 does not support Rec 2020 colour space or HDR.
Is anyone aware of if or when Bryston will ever offer the ability to pass thru HDR?
Old 10-28-2016, 09:22 AM
DRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
Hi
I have not been on this thread for a while and am looking for advice. I have 1 of the original SP3's with Serial no 112.
I am moving to 4K and would like to continue to use the SP3 as it was intended for video pass thru. I see that they have replaced the original HDMI board which was a Momentum Data Systems HSR8-3D around 2015 with the HSR-82.2 HDMI board.
Has anyone upgraded their SP3 with this new HDMI board?
I ask because this new board still does NOT support HDR and is NOT HDMI 2.0a.
I realize it is almost impossible for Bryston to "chase" HDMI's always changing specs. But a few things, especially HDR are critical to get the full benefits of SUHD.
My question is, has anyone used their SP3 with the new HDMI board and passed thru HDR? What errors would I expect if the projector and source both support HDR? HDMI 1.4 does not support Rec 2020 colour space or HDR.
Is anyone aware of if or when Bryston will ever offer the ability to pass thru HDR?
I have now asked the same question on Audio Circle and Audio Aficionada and hoping for a response.
Are there other sites that I should post to?
I cant imagine that nobody has tried this yet.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
I have now asked the same question on Audio Circle and Audio Aficionada and hoping for a response.
Are there other sites that I should post to?
I cant imagine that nobody has tried this yet.
My understanding is that Bryston is working on an HDMI Board that allows all HDMI connections to be 2.2 compliant although one will lose one of the eight HDMI inputs.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I felt very smug when I used the HDMI inputs of my SP3 for an Oppo, Fire TV, and Mac Mini with the HDMI output going to the projector, and it all worked. The next day, I fired up the setup and pressed the DVD button on the remote, nothing. Tried the next buttons, nothing. On subsequent attempts, I sometimes got a picture but no sound. I finally reconnected HDMI-1 from the Oppo 105D directly to the projector and HDMI-2 to the first HDMI input of the SP3, and that has continued to work fine. I don't understand what's going on when I try to use the SP3 to switch between HDMI inputs.

db
Old 12-12-2016, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
I felt very smug when I used the HDMI inputs of my SP3 for an Oppo, Fire TV, and Mac Mini with the HDMI output going to the projector, and it all worked. The next day, I fired up the setup and pressed the DVD button on the remote, nothing. Tried the next buttons, nothing. On subsequent attempts, I sometimes got a picture but no sound. I finally reconnected HDMI-1 from the Oppo 105D directly to the projector and HDMI-2 to the first HDMI input of the SP3, and that has continued to work fine. I don't understand what's going on when I try to use the SP3 to switch between HDMI inputs.

db
What is your serial number? One thing for sure, its still under warranty.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post

db
I have always had some issues with HDMI switching. If I turn the SP3 off connected to one input and then turn the SP3 back on to another input it generally will not work. I have to switch back to the original input and then back to the new input for it to work.

David M.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello! I currently have a SP3 #308. I'm looking for some help on what I need to do in regards to upgrading/updating my SP3 to be 4K HDR specs? I'm about to add the new Sony Z9D 75" TV and want to get the most out of the TV ASAP.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by highnelly View Post
Hello! I currently have a SP3 #308. I'm looking for some help on what I need to do in regards to upgrading/updating my SP3 to be 4K HDR specs? I'm about to add the new Sony Z9D 75" TV and want to get the most out of the TV ASAP.
You should contact Bryston, but IIRC you return the unit to them for a $1K hardware update. My SP3 is #328.

db
Old 01-03-2017, 09:22 AM
DRC

Hi
I have serial number 112. I contacted Bryston and Momentum Data Systems (the supplier for the HDMI boards) just before the holidays. The current upgrade for early SP3's does NOT support things like HDR so don't spend the $1000.00 just yet. I was told by MDS that Bryston has had the new HSR 72 for about 3 months for testing. Bryston told me on November 15th that the engineers were testing the new board and would have an announcement early in the new year. One of the issues is that the SP3 has 8 HDMI inputs and the new board only has 7 HDMI inputs. What do they do with the empty HDMI input?
The original board in the early SP3's was the HSR8-3D. The upgrade to support things like 4K was in the board found in current SP3's and available for an upgrade for older SP3's is the HSR-82.2.
AVfile likes this.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
What do they do with the empty HDMI input?
SD card slot.
markrubin likes this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Old 01-04-2017, 06:04 AM

Thank you all for the quick responses. This is good news that Bryston are working to move forward with HDR specs.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
SD card slot.

Why on earth would a preamp without streaming abilities need that? I can't tell if you are joking.

"This one goes to eleven." Martin Logan Descent-i subwoofer
Old 01-06-2017, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
Why on earth would a preamp without streaming abilities need that? I can't tell if you are joking.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Old 01-17-2017, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Hi
I have serial number 112. I contacted Bryston and Momentum Data Systems (the supplier for the HDMI boards) just before the holidays. The current upgrade for early SP3's does NOT support things like HDR so don't spend the $1000.00 just yet. I was told by MDS that Bryston has had the new HSR 72 for about 3 months for testing. Bryston told me on November 15th that the engineers were testing the new board and would have an announcement early in the new year. One of the issues is that the SP3 has 8 HDMI inputs and the new board only has 7 HDMI inputs. What do they do with the empty HDMI input?
The original board in the early SP3's was the HSR8-3D. The upgrade to support things like 4K was in the board found in current SP3's and available for an upgrade for older SP3's is the HSR-82.2.
I have an older pre-4k SP3 and looking at upgrading the HDMI board. Any newer news on the latest board, will the upgrade be about the same price, will all 7 inputs support HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, release date?

Thanks!

Bryston SP3
Bryston BDP-2, BOT-1
Bryston 14B SST, 6B SST
B&W 802N's, HTM1
Paradigm Sub 2
Paradigm ADP 470 v3
Old 01-17-2017, 04:22 PM
DRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDVidGuy View Post
I have an older pre-4k SP3 and looking at upgrading the HDMI board. Any newer news on the latest board, will the upgrade be about the same price, will all 7 inputs support HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, release date?

Thanks!
I will check with them again. I am interested more now that I just upgraded my projector and have the Oppo UHD Bluray. Its not fun having to continue to remove the HDMI cable from the SP3 and connect the projector directly to the Oppo.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
I will check with them again. I am interested more now that I just upgraded my projector and have the Oppo UHD Bluray. Its not fun having to continue to remove the HDMI cable from the SP3 and connect the projector directly to the Oppo.
Run two HDMI cables out of the Oppo. Run one to your display. The other for audio only to your sp3

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

JVC RS4810 projector Stewart Cima 115" 2.35 screen, ATI 523 and 528 amps
7 mirror imaged 2 way DIY monitors. All matched to within 1db. All parts matched, 1 SVS SB16 ultra subwoofer
Emotiva XMC-1 processor Marantz UD5007 Bluray player
Furman sequencer ran off of a double 50amp breaker,Furman power conditioner
All in a dedicated 15x22x8 foot dedicated home theater.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
Run two HDMI cables out of the Oppo. Run one to your display. The other for audio only to your sp3

That's probably what he's doing, hence the unplugging from the SP3 (and re-plugging for other sources on the SP3). To avoid the constant shuffle he will need to run two long cables to the PJ, assuming it has multiple HDMI inputs.

"This one goes to eleven." Martin Logan Descent-i subwoofer
Old 01-27-2017, 09:53 AM
DRC

Quote:
The latest news from Bryston as of Jan 26th.

Hi David;

Engineering is still working on this. At this point, we can’t even confirm whether the HDR board can be installed in an SP3, but figuring this out is a priority.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
The latest news from Bryston as of Jan 26th.

Hi David;

Engineering is still working on this. At this point, we can’t even confirm whether the HDR board can be installed in an SP3, but figuring this out is a priority.
I own the SP3 and I have been hearing about "working on this" for a LONG time. I moved away from Anthem to the SP3 when Anthem was slow in upgrading the D2/D2V line. I read recently that Anthem declared the D2/D2V a dead end. For some reason, Bryston always seem to be slow to adapt to the newest formats/technology. I am starting to get get a bad vibe about the "working on this" line. I hope that I am wrong.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:59 PM

Any updates on where Bryston are with their SP3 and being able to watch content with HDR?
Old 02-16-2017, 02:52 PM
DRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnelly View Post
Any updates on where Bryston are with their SP3 and being able to watch content with HDR?
The last update I posted above was Jan 26th. I think the more people that ask the question the more they will get the idea this is important to us SP3 owners. I think they are getting sick of me asking all the time.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi all
I currently have firmware v2013.08b

What is the path of least resistance to get to latest firmware version?
Can I simply get latest and let it rip, or is incremental in order?

I have my existing settings documented, so re-entering them isn't a big deal; I don't mind if that's necc.

I just wish to avoid serious headaches and re-flashing.

thanks much!
Old 02-24-2017, 06:54 AM
DRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoWrecker View Post
Hi all
I currently have firmware v2013.08b

What is the path of least resistance to get to latest firmware version?
Can I simply get latest and let it rip, or is incremental in order?

I have my existing settings documented, so re-entering them isn't a big deal; I don't mind if that's necc.

I just wish to avoid serious headaches and re-flashing.

thanks much!
I am also interested in the response to this question as I am also on v2013.10e.
Is the most current version 2016.04b or is it 2016.08a?
Old 03-05-2017, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Can someone remind me how I get the speaker setup, distances and levels to copy over to other inputs? I thought somewhere there was a "universal" or some setting which does that.

David M.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
Can someone remind me how I get the speaker setup, distances and levels to copy over to other inputs? I thought somewhere there was a "universal" or some setting which does that.
I dont know what firmware you have, but in the current/recent, set it to GLOBAL:

Source Setup --> Other -- SRC PAR "@GLOBAL"
dminches likes this.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
I am also interested in the response to this question as I am also on v2013.10e.
Is the most current version 2016.04b or is it 2016.08a?
Hi I just updated it to the most recent version quite easily, it works fine. Just be patient for it to completely finish. It rebooted a few times, etc. Wait for several minutes to be absolutely sure!
Old 03-11-2017, 12:28 AM

Web interface slow

I updated to latest firmware, and browsed to the unit. It has "TABLET" tab/software now. (my prev FW was quite old)

My tests are so far not very impressive, the communication to the unit AND reaction from the unit is quite slow.

Anyone else have this type of behavior?

Im on a 7" android tablet, and have tried Chrome & FireFox.
For giggles I tried from a laptop PC as well, and it too was slow moving.

At this point the BR3 is still the best bet.
Old Today, 03:48 PM

If 4K HDR and Dolby Vision content important to me, is it time to move on? I'm worried they won't update their SP3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Arcam , bryston sp3