The Official Bryston SP3 Thread. - Page 73 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #2161 of 2175 Old 03-23-2017, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Did you know that as of the date and time of this post, there is not one used Bryston SP3 for sale on the internet?
It's such a fine processor whey would anyone want to sell theirs? Yesterday, I bought a used Bryston balanced 10B bass manager so I can shunt below 100 HZ from my LS50s to the subs while maintaining a balanced link from disc player through preamp to amp (Ayre 5-series components).

db
gbaby likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2175 Old 03-23-2017, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
It's such a fine processor whey would anyone want to sell theirs? Yesterday, I bought a used Bryston balanced 10B bass manager so I can shunt below 100 HZ from my LS50s to the subs while maintaining a balanced link from disc player through preamp to amp (Ayre 5-series components).

db
When James Tanner was asked about an SP4 with ATMOS, he responded that an SP4 was not even being considered as the SP3 is selling extremely well. My personal belief is that people who long for ATMOS are not music lovers but lovers of movies with gimmicks. This is exactly what I felt about ATMOS when I heard it. I tried to make myself like it, but always came away with the feeling it was gimmicky. I heard bullets flying in the ceiling in a ground war.
post #2163 of 2175 Old Yesterday, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
When James Tanner was asked about an SP4 with ATMOS, he responded that an SP4 was not even being considered as the SP3 is selling extremely well. My personal belief is that people who long for ATMOS are not music lovers but lovers of movies with gimmicks. This is exactly what I felt about ATMOS when I heard it. I tried to make myself like it, but always came away with the feeling it was gimmicky. I heard bullets flying in the ceiling in a ground war.
I understand the SP3s audio is amazing. I agree. But, isn't the SP3 marketed as a HT SSP? If that is the case aren't the "gimmicks"
needed? Maybe not ATMOS but I would expect HDR and Dolby Vision.
AVfile likes this.

post #2164 of 2175 Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by highnelly View Post
I understand the SP3s audio is amazing. I agree. But, isn't the SP3 marketed as a HT SSP? If that is the case aren't the "gimmicks"
It certainly does function well as a great sounding HT SSP. I use mine for music and HT, with an Esoteric SA-60 and Oppo 105D as sources. It does a superb job of bass management and passes video cleanly, but does not process it. Bryston seems to eschew gimmicks.

db
post #2165 of 2175 Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 134
The Official Bryston SP3 Thread.

Atmos is not a gimmick, it is an object-based audio encoding standard. The fact that it doesn't fit Bryston's business plans or one's room/speaker layout doesn't make it a less valid format for those that can accommodate it. On the other hand, up-converting to more channels than exist in an encode could be considered a gimmick.
TL5 and rhale64L7 like this.

"This one goes to eleven." Martin Logan Descent-i subwoofer
post #2166 of 2175 Old Today, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
Atmos is not a gimmick, it is an object-based audio encoding standard. The fact that it doesn't fit Bryston's business plans or one's room/speaker layout doesn't make it a less valid format for those that can accommodate it. On the other hand, up-converting to more channels than exist in an encode could be considered a gimmick.
Different strokes applies here. Folks who like the SP3 are music lovers. To me, hearing bullets flying in the ceiling on an ATMOS blu-ray was gimmicky. Having 2 channel converted to surround for me is more or less using psycho-acoutics for to enhance the sound. I cannot go back to 2 channel. And, for movies, 7.1 is fine particularly when played through the clean sounding SP3.
post #2167 of 2175 Old Today, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You can get an upgrade to the video for HDR. I doubt it will have Dolby Vision as I understand this is an ATMOS related format. Regardless, I don't care as my Sony XBR LED TV with 1080p is fine for me.
post #2168 of 2175 Old Today, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Different strokes applies here. Folks who like the SP3 are music lovers. To me, hearing bullets flying in the ceiling on an ATMOS blu-ray was gimmicky. Having 2 channel converted to surround for me is more or less using psycho-acoutics for to enhance the sound. I cannot go back to 2 channel. And, for movies, 7.1 is fine particularly when played through the clean sounding SP3.
You have opened up a can of worms.

Having 2 channel audio converted to 7.1 is way more gimmicky than ATMOS. C'mon now. It is fine if you can't listen to 2 channel anymore but to call an excellent audio format for movies gimmicky is just not right.

I am fine with 7.1 for movies but I can't stand synthesized multi-channel audio from a 2 channel source. Plus, the sound stage created by my set-up is over 15 feet wide. I don't need music coming for all directions. I also don't use the SP-3 for music. That is handled by a 2 channel pre-amp.
AVfile likes this.

David M.
post #2169 of 2175 Old Today, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
You can get an upgrade to the video for HDR. I doubt it will have Dolby Vision as I understand this is an ATMOS related format. Regardless, I don't care as my Sony XBR LED TV with 1080p is fine for me.
Really gbaby?! I thought the upgrade was for 4k only. Not HDR. As of 2/17/17 this was the word from Bryston: Engineering has not yet advised when this upgrade will be available, and how much work will be involved. I’ve asked for an update, and hope to have some word shortly.
post #2170 of 2175 Old Today, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Official Bryston SP3 Thread.

Quote:
Different strokes applies here. Folks who like the SP3 are music lovers.
I don't think music lover is the right term because some of them are purists that prefer to listen in Mono, and for most of them sound quality is secondary to the music itself. I would say SP3 owners are audiophiles that want to combine HT with music or hardcore HT/multi-channel music fans.

Quote:
To me, hearing bullets flying in the ceiling on an ATMOS blu-ray was gimmicky. Having 2 channel converted to surround for me is more or less using psycho-acoutics for to enhance the sound. I cannot go back to 2 channel. And, for movies, 7.1 is fine particularly when played through the clean sounding SP3.
That could be a fair comment on the sound design but you would be criticizing the artist, not the format. There's nothing in the spec that says bullets have to fly overhead, so it's not the system's fault if the mix was done in poor taste. Also if you were listening to a demo it was probably a "pumped up" track chosen on purpose to sell the format. One could say the same about 5.1 remixes of classic rock on DVD-Audio.

I accept the fact that you enjoy the effects of 7-channel processing on pop music, as you have stated in every other post, but take exception to the blanket statements about formats. People used to swear by Lexicon's Logic7 Music and Meridian TriField before that. I think it depends a lot on how the original recording was made (studio multi-track + fake reverb vs. live two track + natural ambience).

I also agree that 5.1 or 7.1 is enough for the average room. The problem for me is most of the mixes are not all that great. They tend to be front heavy and not as immersive as the visuals would suggest, even with some of the 5-star rated discrete 7.1 mixes. Object based audio like Atmos and DTS:X are supposed to take care of that, and people with large dedicated rooms swear by it. If you went to the real cinema would you avoid a screening with Atmos?

Last edited by AVfile; Today at 03:10 PM.
post #2171 of 2175 Old Today, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Really gbaby?! I thought the upgrade was for 4k only. Not HDR. As of 2/17/17 this was the word from Bryston: Engineering has not yet advised when this upgrade will be available, and how much work will be involved. I’ve asked for an update, and hope to have some word shortly.

That's right. HDR would require a hardware upgrade, but then DV should only be a firmware matter for any manufacturer.

post #2172 of 2175 Old Today, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
You have opened up a can of worms.

Having 2 channel audio converted to 7.1 is way more gimmicky than ATMOS. C'mon now. It is fine if you can't listen to 2 channel anymore but to call an excellent audio format for movies gimmicky is just not right.

I am fine with 7.1 for movies but I can't stand synthesized multi-channel audio from a 2 channel source. Plus, the sound stage created by my set-up is over 15 feet wide. I don't need music coming for all directions. I also don't use the SP-3 for music. That is handled by a 2 channel pre-amp.
ATMOS did sound gimmicky to me. As far a 2 channel music being unconverted to multi-channel, this definitely would not apply to you, a 2 channel analog music man. Me, I have seven speakers and they ALL have the same drivers. Synthesized multi-channel sounds phenomenal through the SP3.
post #2173 of 2175 Old Today, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
That's right. HDR would require a hardware upgrade, but then DV should only be a firmware matter for any manufacturer.
I believe the current upgrade has HDR, but only on one input. I am hoping an upgrade will be coming in the future, but it might be limited to one HDMI output which I will be able to live with.
post #2174 of 2175 Old Today, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry for the misinformation. I was under the impression that 2.2 compliant HDMI meant HDR was part of its spec. I do know Bryston's video board upgrade had one 2.2 compliant HDMI input and they are working on having 7 inputs with 2.2 HDMI.
post #2175 of 2175 Old Today, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
People used to swear by Lexicon's Logic7 Music and Meridian TriField before that. I think it depends a lot on how the original recording was made (studio multi-track + fake reverb vs. live two track + natural ambience).

I also agree that 5.1 or 7.1 is enough for the average room. The problem for me is most of the mixes are not all that great. They tend to be front heavy and not as immersive as the visuals would suggest, even with some of the 5-star rated discrete 7.1 mixes. Object based audio like Atmos and DTS:X are supposed to take care of that, and people with large dedicated rooms swear by it. If you went to the real cinema would you avoid a screening with Atmos?
I do remember the rave on Logic 7 and Meridian Trifield. I think Kal Rubinson use to talk about how good Meridian Trifield was at the time. I have heard ATMOS in a high end audio store and I just.... I have not heard it in a theater though. In fact, I don't go to movies; thats why I purchased all this equipment; so I won't have to to to movies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Arcam , bryston sp3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page