The Official Bryston SP3 Thread. - Page 74 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #2191 of 2197 Old 08-07-2017, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Best way to connect Opponents UDP-205

This is a question for those who are lucky enough to have a Bryston SP3 and an Oppo UDP-205.

What will give the best sound quality for two-channel music on CD: a digital connection between the two, so the DAC of the SP3 is used, or a balanced analog connection so the DAC in the UDP-205 is used?

Thanks,

WillyPi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 2197 Old 08-07-2017, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyPi View Post
This is a question for those who are lucky enough to have a Bryston SP3 and an Oppo UDP-205.

What will give the best sound quality for two-channel music on CD: a digital connection between the two, so the DAC of the SP3 is used, or a balanced analog connection so the DAC in the UDP-205 is used?
I own both, but not in the same setup. The Bryston SP3 gets HDMI and balanced analog from an Oppo 105D, but I prefer HDMI and thus the SP3 DAC. The sound is superb. The 205 sends balanced analog to an Ayre preamp. The sound is superb, better than analog from the 105D. You can have both HDMI and analog from the 205 to the SP3, so you can switch between them from the SP3 remote. I'd try them both. You might find that you prefer analog from the 205 for stereo and HDMi from the 205 for surround. Oppo has really done some magic with analog audio from the 205. Balanced analog stereo from the 205 is very close to that from my Ayre C-5xeMP.

The reasons I don't have a 205 in both setups is that it doesn't offer streaming services like Netflix, my projector isn't 4K, I can use an Esoteric SA-60 for stereo and surround music, and it isn't available in silver. But I do have an extra slot available in my equipment cabinet . . .

db
post #2193 of 2197 Old 08-08-2017, 06:16 AM

Thank you very much for the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post

... You might find that you prefer analog from the 205 for stereo and HDMi from the 205 for surround. Oppo has really done some magic with analog audio from the 205 ...

db
This is what I am hoping for! At the moment, I have a CD player and an integrated amplifier (from Moon) for two channel music and a Blu-ray player and an AV amplifier (from Primare) for movies and multi channel music. That looks like a good solution, but there are two disadvantages: it is a bit complicated for my wife and the sound quality of multi channel is on a much lower level. So hopefully I can get excellent results for both two channel and multi channel with a first class processor like the Bryston SP3. I will have to sell my electronic gear to finance the Oppo UDP-205, Bryston SP3 and a multi channel power amplifier but I don’t want to lose too much of the quality of two channel music.

Kind regards,

WillyPi

post #2194 of 2197 Old 08-08-2017, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
At the moment, I have a CD player and an integrated amplifier (from Moon) for two channel music and a Blu-ray player and an AV amplifier (from Primare) for movies and multi channel music. That looks like a good solution, but there are two disadvantages: it is a bit complicated for my wife and the sound quality of multi channel is on a much lower level. So hopefully I can get excellent results for both two channel and multi channel with a first class processor like the Bryston SP3. I will have to sell my electronic gear to finance the Oppo UDP-205, Bryston SP3 and a multi channel power amplifier but I don’t want to lose too much of the quality of two channel music.i
I'm pretty sure you wont lose any quality due the Oppo UDP-205 and Bryston SP3, it will depend on the amps. You might want to consider separate amps for stereo and surround. The SP3 provides triggers for turning amps on and off, so your wife need deal only with the fully labeled SP3 remote.

db
post #2195 of 2197 Old 08-08-2017, 02:30 PM

Thank you again for your reply.

I have heard the Bryston a few times and I have no doubts about the SP3, but I can't imagine that for CDs the Oppo has a comparable sound quality as my CD player, which has a price level that is much higher. If I decide to keep my CD player, then I have less budget for the power amplifier, so no more Bryston, but an Anthem or a Primare probably.

Kind regards,

WillyPi
post #2196 of 2197 Old 08-08-2017, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

[QUOTE=WillyPi;54603296I can't imagine that for CDs the Oppo has a comparable sound quality as my CD player, which has a price level that is much higher.i[/QUOTE]

You should try the 205 rather than prematurely changing your plans. You can return it if it doesn't meet the sound quality you're looking for, but you might be surprised. Oppo has volume of sales to subsidize R&D and parts purchasing, whereas high price can reflect a niche market.

db
post #2197 of 2197 Old 08-09-2017, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

Thanks,

WillyPi
Use them balanced analog connections!

Oppo UDP-203, Anthem AVM50V 3D Pre-Pro, Krell KAV-500 3 Channel Amp, Adcom GFA-535 2 Channel Amp, Cary Audio 306/200 CD Player, Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC, Oppo HA-2 DAC/Amp, Hifiman HE-500 Headphones, Audeze EL-8 Headphones, Westone UM 50 Pro in ear monitors, Apple PowerBeats 3, MacBook Pro-Tidal HiFi/Roon, Apple iPad Pro/Roon, Sony XBR65X930C, Sonus faber Luito Towers, Sonus faber Luito Monitors, Sonus faber Smart Center Channel, REL T2 sub, Sony SWF-BR100W Wireless Subwoofer for 930C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Arcam , bryston sp3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page