New AVR receiver recommendation for power amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-20-2012, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I bought a Pioneer VSX-50 last year and just figured out it will not be sufficient to power the B & W 683 speakers I want to
purchase. I need to replace the Pioneer and would like to know what anyone might recommend along with power amps. This would be for a 5.1 and eventually 5.2 set up. I have a Velodyne 10" powered sub and will replace the center and surround speakers with B & W's as well.

Thanks for the help!

DENON AVR-4311CI, PSB T6's, PSB Imagine center, PSB B5's surround, Rhythmik FV15-HP, Epson 8350 Projector
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
The 683s aren't hard to drive at 8Ω 90dB sensitivity, 25W - 200W recommended power. Certainly no real need for a MCH power amp. If you're inclined to upgrade then either just get a more powerful AVR or keep the Pioneer and add a stereo amp >100WPC for the fronts.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 258
According to the specs on the Pioneer website, the only preout on your receiver is for the subwoofer, so you can't add an amplifier to it. Your receiver will drive any main speakers with a sensitivity of 88db per watt or higher. You don't need to replace it unless you choose speakers with poor sensitivity.

The B & W 683 speakers are seriously over priced and not very good-sounding. They are a poor choice in any case. I have heard them described as "one of B & W 's mistakes"...lol. They really dropped the ball on its design.

The PSB Image T6 is a MUCH better speaker, for $1300 per pair. Read the review on it at the Stereophile website.

Put it together with the PSB C4 center speaker and a pair of B5 speakers for surrounds, and you will have a very nice system.

Another excellent system would be a pair of KEF iQ90 speakers; put them with the Q200C and a pair of C3 speakers, and you will be pleased. See the KEF Direct website for details.

Either of those will give much better performance than a system based on the 683.

The Onkyo 709 receiver has full preouts for all channels and will allow you to add external power amplifiers for the front channels if desired in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblutts View Post

Hi, I bought a Pioneer VSX-50 last year and just figured out it will not be sufficient to power the B & W 683 speakers I want to
purchase. I need to replace the Pioneer and would like to know what anyone might recommend along with power amps. This would be for a 5.1 and eventually 5.2 set up. I have a Velodyne 10" powered sub and will replace the center and surround speakers with B & W's as well.
Thanks for the help!
Old 07-21-2012, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the responses!

@commsysman I was actually considering the PSB's. I heard them at my local HT store and they were the most natural sounding speakers I've ever heard. Sounded like a full
band was present. Of course, what I listened to were the top of the line Synchrony One's. I'm going to go back and take a listen to the T6's which I've read nothing but great things.
I actually called this store and asked about AVR + power amp combinations with these and they told me that they have a Marantz SR6007 hooked up without a power amp and
said it didn't really need one. Also said I could use a Marantz SR6007 and be fine without the power amp. Any thoughts? I was kind of resolved to the fact I would need to
purchase a power amp to push these.

DENON AVR-4311CI, PSB T6's, PSB Imagine center, PSB B5's surround, Rhythmik FV15-HP, Epson 8350 Projector