Front Height speakers with my AVR-591 - Using old receiver as power amplifier? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-21-2012, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am building a house and am getting in-wall and in-ceiling pre-wiring done. I currently have a Denon AVR-591 as my primary receiver, and see that I have an option to have Front Height speakers, but it says I need a separate power amplifier to use the Front Height speaker option. I'm not familiar with power amps (I've always just used a single receiver). My question is can I use an old receiver (in this case, a Sony STR-DE675) as the power amp for the Front Height speakers? Looking at the manual for the Denon receiver, it looks like I would just connect the Front Height pre out on the Denon receiver to the Aux In on the Sony receiver, and then connect the Front Height Speakers to the Sony receiver. Then I would have the Denon do the Audyssey auto-set-up.

Will this work? I am thinking this through correctly?

Also, if anybody has any opinions on if having the Front Height speakers is worth the effort (if the above assumptions are correct, then it seems like the only effort would be to install the front height speakers, which is minimal effort), I would be interested to know that as well.

FYI: Using rear-surround speakers is not an option as my couch is against the wall, so that is why I figured I would try out the Front Height capability.

Thanks in advance for your perspective and guidance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-21-2012, 08:24 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
Yes, it will work. Some folks feel they add to the surround experience while others don't ... really depends on the audio being played.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 3 Old 07-21-2012, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes it will work, I've done it my self, but 3 things to remember:

1 Set the Sony to a 'known reference volume' when you run the test tones or auto set up - most people use 12 oclock on the volume knob, and leave it set as this.

2 Set as much processing as possible in the Sony off, so put it into Pure or stereo mode or similar.

3 You will want the Sony to power on when the Denon does, so some sort of auto sensing or remote control power strip should do the job.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 591 Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page