AVR-2807 Handshake Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-22-2012, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm using an AVR-2807 to drive my 5.1 home theater, which started refusing to pass video through HDMI about a week ago. The setup is straightforward - cable box connected to an HDMI input on my avr-2708 and the 2807 HDMI out connected to an LG 1080p lcd. There's also a DVD player plugged into the other 2807 HDMI input. This setup worked well for over a year then all of a sudden about a week ago i lost picture completely and the sound became intermittent. The TV says "no signal", and cable box is giving me an intermittent "DUI" error code. The sound is intermittent in sync with the DUI codes. I did some research on the cable box and found this code actually means DVI and indicates a handshake problem. When i disconnect the HDMI out cable from the 2807 (or the input HDMI from the TV) the DUI code disappears and the sound returns to normal. I also get the same symptoms - loss of picture and intermittent sound - when I try to play a DVD. When I connect the cable box or DVD player directly to the TV inputs things work normally. I've replaced all HDMI cables, checked all input/output assignments and other settings, rebooted everything multiple times and reset the 2807 microprocessor to factory settings according to the instructions in the manual. I checked the Denon website for any firmware updates to the 2807 and there are none. I've run out of ideas so any advice on what to try next would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-22-2012, 09:30 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
If the issue is only with the cable box, it's more likely an "HDMI handshake" issue and can be resolved by passing the AVR with HDMI directly to the TV with optical/coax to the AVR for surround audio. If it's also occuring with the DVD player, it's more likely an HDMI board failure. Work around for it would be the same as for the cable box. Replacement with a newer model would likely be more cost effective than getting the HDMI board replaced.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 8 Old 07-22-2012, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, jdsmoothe. Since the handshake problem is with both the cable box and DVD player - so appears to be an HDMI output problem with the 2807 - you're saying it's cheaper to scrap my 2807 and buy a new receiver? Ouch!
post #4 of 8 Old 07-22-2012, 10:45 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
Sorry, but yes. As the AVR is 6 years old, even if you could find the replacement board, it will likely cost about $200 in addition to a $70 labor cost, so roughly $300. That money is much better spent putting it towards a replacement model.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 8 Old 08-02-2012, 04:05 AM

I am going to say this to anybody who will listen, with no apologies for shouting - DO NOT BUY DENON HARDWARE! JUST DO NOT TRUST THIS BRAND!

If there was a time in which Denon equipment was aspirational, or reliable, that time has long since passed.

My Denon 2807 has exactly the same problem and, I can assure you, it is a failure of the HDMI board. I can also tell you that the board only failed, when I connected my Denon amp to my Denon 2910 DVD player! It worked before, and has never worked since.

I have a number of input and output sources against which I can test. My Infocus projector can even return make/model information from connected sources but, it no longer finds my Denon amp to be a connected source.

I should point out that I have another Denon lump, hanging around, upstairs. It suffers from the power safety-shutdown issue, that Denon like to sprinkle throughout its manufactured equipment.

I can also point out that Denon are in favour of breaking and not supporting their hardware. Did you know that HDMI 1.3 to 1.4 is just a software issue, and not a reason to buy a whole new amplifier? Can you imagine buying a 1.4 Denon amp, only to find that the same, ropey software means that your amp is living on borrowed time?!

I have nothing but contempt for Denon now, and would NEVER buy into them, ever again.

Until somebody tells me different, I am hunting a Marantz SR - I like the kit, and I don't hear the same levels of dissatisfaction from their customer base.

If you're still reading, I have previously been advised by Denon that a firmware update will restart the failed HDMI board. My only problem is that, I have never been able to get the RS232 interface to work. And that is against two Denon amps!

Denon sucks, and the hard lesson to learn, is owning their junk before coming to the realisation. Denon sucks!
post #6 of 8 Old 08-02-2012, 04:21 AM

I still hate Denon, but I am prepared to try!

I have been back to Denon and downloaded an update that specifically mentions IMPROVEMENT TO HDMI CONNECTIVITY.

http://firmware.denon-online.eu/index.php

Now it just remains for me to find somebody with a crappy Windows pc, so that I can try the update, cos us Apple, Java and Linux users, we are nothing! Shoe muck! Afterbirth!

mad.gif
post #7 of 8 Old 08-02-2012, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Yes...buy a Marantz....after all they are the same designs as Denon and have the same parent company.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-05-2012, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Argy. I'll try the firmware update - would really like to avoid buying a new reciever.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page