Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 232 Old 03-28-2013, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2001 View Post

Sorry, I meant 3/4.1 speaker pattern - not 2/14.1. That was a typo. I will edit the original post. 3/4.1 seems to be the default speaker pattern.

I tried multiple option on Blu Ray player for audio. As it was a Sony BD player Sony support provided correct settings as well. But it is not just BD player, I am trying to test this. I also tried some online channel check videos like these

For 7.1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TdLTe_yckY
For 5.1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O8HdBQbiTc

So, it may not be the BD Player.

Running the "Test Tone" from the GUI was going through correct channels. Also the AutoCal was giving proper sounds from all channels. It is mainly, the channel check audio/video clips I am having trouble with. Also missing audio in some inputs time to time.

Thanks a lot for your inputs.

You are welcome....Interesting...

Are you running this hdmi from a laptop to the sony?

That first link says to check out a newer 7.1 file. Maybe the first file isn't that good. Did you try the second newer one?

Sounds a little weird that you are missing audio from inputs from time to time. No sound at all or just missing in certain channels? The Sony takes a while to switch over from analog to digital etc...and I have had the BD player go with no sound for about 5 seconds or so until the receiver kicks in with the hdmi.

Do you use banana plugs? If not maybe the speaker wires are touching a little somewhere. I have had that happen to me before.

I only have 5.1 but have speakers for 7.1 and can set it up and try to run the 7.1 file and see what happens. I won't be able to do that for a while though - maybe later today.

Good luck!

Energy RC70 L/R | RC-LCR Center | C-R3 Surrounds | VMINI Bookshelves Surrounds | S12.3 and Dual S10.3 Subs | KRK 10s Sub | Benq w1070 pj | Elite 100" Sable Screen | SONY STR-DN1030| Sony S5100 and S3100 BDPs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 232 Old 03-28-2013, 07:40 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eah9 View Post

You are welcome....Interesting...

Are you running this hdmi from a laptop to the sony?

That first link says to check out a newer 7.1 file. Maybe the first file isn't that good. Did you try the second newer one?

Sounds a little weird that you are missing audio from inputs from time to time. No sound at all or just missing in certain channels? The Sony takes a while to switch over from analog to digital etc...and I have had the BD player go with no sound for about 5 seconds or so until the receiver kicks in with the hdmi.

Do you use banana plugs? If not maybe the speaker wires are touching a little somewhere. I have had that happen to me before.

I only have 5.1 but have speakers for 7.1 and can set it up and try to run the 7.1 file and see what happens. I won't be able to do that for a while though - maybe later today.

Good luck!
The first video I posted was very good for 71. channel check. The second one goes through only 5.1 channel check even though it has 7.1 mentioned on video title. But none of them provide any audio on the surround or rear channels in my case.

The missing audio is forever - not just for few seconds. Until I do a factory reset on the receiver, it doesn't provide any audio from those inputs.

No, I am not using banana plugs at this point even though I was thinking about it. But I am sure I have the speakers connected perfectly. The test tone and autocal go through correct speakers without any problems and provides audio. And as I mentioned in the original post above, it is mainly the channel check test videos I have trouble with when it comes to testing all 7 speakers and subwoofer. When I watch a 5.1 or 7.1 movie, I do hear audio from surround and rear speakers. Mainly concerned if it is the right audio I am getting from those. Other than the missing audio issue which requires factory reset.

For playing online videos, I am using WD TV Media Player. It is connected via HDMI. I also have same video downloaded to hard disk connected to it.

Thanks again.
post #93 of 232 Old 03-28-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:

The first video I posted was very good for 71. channel check. The second one goes through only 5.1 channel check even though it has 7.1 mentioned on video title. But none of them provide any audio on the surround or rear channels in my case.

The missing audio is forever - not just for few seconds. Until I do a factory reset on the receiver, it doesn't provide any audio from those inputs.

No, I am not using banana plugs at this point even though I was thinking about it. But I am sure I have the speakers connected perfectly. The test tone and autocal go through correct speakers without any problems and provides audio. And as I mentioned in the original post above, it is mainly the channel check test videos I have trouble with when it comes to testing all 7 speakers and subwoofer. When I watch a 5.1 or 7.1 movie, I do hear audio from surround and rear speakers. Mainly concerned if it is the right audio I am getting from those. Other than the missing audio issue which requires factory reset.

For playing online videos, I am using WD TV Media Player. It is connected via HDMI. I also have same video downloaded to hard disk connected to it.

Thanks again.

I guess I can't really help you too much, unfortunately. I would just start isolating things (which you probably have tried). Unplugging certain other devices and see if that fixes it.

I did have a conflict where I needed to reassign the input because I was using optical for audio and my hdmi was using the same input (both audio and video). Also make sure you are not using the same input for analog and digital (2 devices using the same default inputs (but different type of connections). Hard to explain - but meaning video 1 for analog (let's say the wii) and hdmi video 1 for digital (bd player). They are both assigned to the same sony inputs. Check the manual for defaults - they are on page 89 of the manual. They can be reassigned by pressing the options key once you get into the gui for devices.

Other things to try:

switching hdmi cables to a 1.4a or better on the WD TV player.
Upgrading the firmware of every device (including the receiver). What version are you currently running on the STRDN1030?
Switching the connection inputs (mentioned above). move the WD connection to hdmi 3 or something.

Hope one of these things does it for you. A weird thing, that's for sure. It does kind of sound like you have a conflict with the device connections but I can't be sure - just trying to help isolate the issue. A pain in the neck for you, no doubt.

Found this - I think it could be your device and not the receiver bu you said works with your other receiver...hmmm..

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-General/Does-WD-TV-Live-Hub-support-Audio-Passthrough-7-1CH-Dolby-TrueHD/td-p/256628

Good luck! Hope it works out.

Energy RC70 L/R | RC-LCR Center | C-R3 Surrounds | VMINI Bookshelves Surrounds | S12.3 and Dual S10.3 Subs | KRK 10s Sub | Benq w1070 pj | Elite 100" Sable Screen | SONY STR-DN1030| Sony S5100 and S3100 BDPs
post #94 of 232 Old 03-29-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:

Thanks again.

Any luck? Just curious if any of the suggestions helped at all.

post #95 of 232 Old 03-29-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:

Any luck? Just curious if any of the suggestions helped at all.
Thanks for the inputs. I am going to verify the Analog/Digital input settings on the inputs later today or this weekend. Will update. I had the receiver disconnected and had my old Denon connected back due to the problems I faced. I do not think there will be any conflicts with inputs though. I am using 4 different devices and all are connected via HDMI. No Optical or Coaxial inputs at this point.

Will keep posted either way.

Thanks.
post #96 of 232 Old 04-01-2013, 11:55 AM

I had no luck guys. I am returning this receiver today. Looks like it is not for me. I picked up a Pioneer receiver from Costco and it works like a charm.

I was hoping there will be much more experts here who may have some idea for the reasons for the problems I faced. I can't believe two receivers come with exact same issue. frown.gif

Thanks.
post #97 of 232 Old 04-01-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:

I had no luck guys. I am returning this receiver today. Looks like it is not for me. I picked up a Pioneer receiver from Costco and it works like a charm.

I was hoping there will be much more experts here who may have some idea for the reasons for the problems I faced. I can't believe two receivers come with exact same issue. frown.gif

Thanks.

If it's a hardware issue, there isn't much that can be done...I do have my 7.1 about ready - hope I don't run into the same issue or similar one. Glad you got something that worked. There aren't many people on this thread....unfortunately.

post #98 of 232 Old 04-09-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
My Subwoofer only has one input. The Sony has two outputs... Is there a way to setup the receiver where it sends all the Sub info out only ONE of the outputs instead of both, or do you have to sum the outputs using a Y Cable? Or something else?

Obsessed is such an ugly word... We like to think of ourselves as extremely focused.
post #99 of 232 Old 04-09-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post

My Subwoofer only has one input. The Sony has two outputs... Is there a way to setup the receiver where it sends all the Sub info out only ONE of the outputs instead of both, or do you have to sum the outputs using a Y Cable? Or something else?
You are supposed to connect the two subwoofer outputs to two different subwoofers to have the 7.2 setup. When you have only one subwoofer, you only need to connect one subwoofer connection (use the first one) which will be 7.1 setup. 7.1 is great in my opinion. If you have a good subwoofer, one is more than enough. Definitely, please don't use anything like Y cable. It is not the way to use those subwoofer outputs.

You may wait for expert opinions though.
post #100 of 232 Old 04-09-2013, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are supposed to connect the two subwoofer outputs to two different subwoofers to have the 7.2 setup. When you have only one subwoofer, you only need to connect one subwoofer connection (use the first one) which will be 7.1 setup. 7.1 is great in my opinion. If you have a good subwoofer, one is more than enough. Definitely, please don't use anything like Y cable. It is not the way to use those subwoofer outputs.

You may wait for expert opinions though.

I'm actually planning on using the 1030 for a 2.1 system. I needed something with built in WiFi so this really fit the bill. I was hoping there was an option in the setup on the Sony that allowed that configuration and canceled out the second LFE output. Good to know you only need one anyway. Thanks. smile.gif

Obsessed is such an ugly word... We like to think of ourselves as extremely focused.
post #101 of 232 Old 04-15-2013, 09:02 AM

Notice on the SONY site that it says this model is no longer available. Hope that means it is sold out not discontinued already. Or too many problems, etc.
post #102 of 232 Old 04-15-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbalone View Post

Notice on the SONY site that it says this model is no longer available. Hope that means it is sold out not discontinued already. Or too many problems, etc.

A guess would be they are sold out because of the features\price and cnet review. I hope that's the case. No issues with mine after 3 months.

post #103 of 232 Old 04-15-2013, 09:30 AM

Yea. no problem with mine either. Has great sound. Beat out an older Onyko.
post #104 of 232 Old 04-15-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I love mine. It works flawlessly with our iPad 2 and the sound quality of the built-in Amps is superb. It rivals my ADA dedicated Amplifier. The built-in WiFi is a big plus for me since I have limited space for my setup. So far, I couldn't be happier. It's got every feature I need, and even a couple I didn't know I needed (Sound Optimizer for low volume listening is great!). smile.gif

post #105 of 232 Old 04-15-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey now that I'm here.... I have a question.

In the instructions it says you need to buy an Apple Composite A/V cable and plug the video cable in along with the USB cable... I've done that it doesn't do anything. I can get "Video" from YouTube if I change the input to "Video 2" but that turns off the USB connection. Has anyone managed to get video from an iDevice on the USB input?

post #106 of 232 Old 04-16-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:

In the instructions it says you need to buy an Apple Composite A/V cable and plug the video cable in along with the USB cable... I've done that it doesn't do anything. I can get "Video" from YouTube if I change the input to "Video 2" but that turns off the USB connection. Has anyone managed to get video from an iDevice on the USB input?

I looked it up in the manual - page 10. Assuming that's how you have it setup. This is a weird setup IMHO. I will try it when my son gets home from school if we have that cable and will let you know if I can get it to work. My other thought is that maybe audio 2 has to be re-assigned to usb. I will look at that and see if it's possible.

The only way to get audio is through the usb in this configuration.

I will let you know more later today, hopefully.

post #107 of 232 Old 04-16-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:

A guess would be they are sold out because of the features\price and cnet review. I hope that's the case. No issues with mine after 3 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbalone View Post

I just chatted with Sony online. They "thought" it was because a part is on back order for this unit.

post #108 of 232 Old 04-16-2013, 11:08 AM

I have upgraded from the denon avr-1610, really happy with the sound improvement but agree the GUI is clunky. It was between this and denon 2113 and the reason I chose this was because I have a ps3 and I thought would be able to use Bravia sync to control the ps3 with my strdn1030 remote. The manual talks about using Bravia sync with tv as does the ps3 manual but I cannot find anything online about using the Bravia sync between the ps3 and this av reciever. I have turned HDMI control on but it hasn't done anything.
Can anyone help me?
post #109 of 232 Old 04-16-2013, 11:51 AM

Liked: 12

This receiver is surprising. I scaled down my home theater to include a projector, Blu-ray player (2), laser disc and a television and this receiver. I will add the new PS3 when released. The features were too much to pass on for a $400.00 item. The streaming from the apple devices work great. No problem with the Wi-Fi connection, Bluetooth connectivity and music streaming is great did not mind the OSD which was lacking in substance. I boxed my Sony STR-DA5200ES and replaced it with this piece and have not missed a moment of entertainment. I will be working this device to no end. May pick up the STR-DA2800ES in a few weeks. However this receiver is a work horse.
post #110 of 232 Old 04-16-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:

I looked it up in the manual - page 10. Assuming that's how you have it setup. This is a weird setup IMHO. I will try it when my son gets home from school if we have that cable and will let you know if I can get it to work. My other thought is that maybe audio 2 has to be re-assigned to usb. I will look at that and see if it's possible.

The only way to get audio is through the usb in this configuration.

I will let you know more later today, hopefully.

Quote:

Found out from my son that usb is strictly used for charging with ipods etc... So you would need the other 2 analog red/white connections plus the video in (video 2). I think there is a cable to do that from Apple but we don't have one. My son has the component from his ipod (5 connectors). I am very confused why sony has the configuration pictured that way. It definitely would never have audio without an audio connection. The only thing I could think of is to use the airplay for the audio and the receiver somehow knows it's an ipod etc...based on the usb and video 2 connections.

post #111 of 232 Old 04-16-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Found out from my son that usb is strictly used for charging. So you would need the other 2 analog red/white connections plus the video 2 . I think there is a cable to do that from Apple but we don't have one. My son has the component from his ipod (5 connectors). I am very confused why sony has the configuration pictured that way. It definitely would never have audio without an audio connection. The only thing I could think of is to use the airplay for the audio and the receiver knows it's an ipod etc...based on the usb and video 2 connections somehow.....

I finally figured it out last night. USB is for Audio as well as charging (you can get audio with only the USB cable). The Video cable comes into play if you are in iTunes and want to rent a Movie to watch. When you hit play on the iTunes movie it sends the video to the receiver and you can view it on your monitor. Pretty cool actually.

You can also put the receiver into "Video 2" mode and it will display videos and audio that way as well, but the Audio will be analog from the L/R Audio in plugs on the front instead of in digital format as it is when you use the USB input on the receiver. For the best sound, you'd of course use the USB input and bypass the DAC in the iDevice and use the better DAC in the sony for Digital to Analog conversion duties.

post #112 of 232 Old 04-16-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:

I finally figured it out last night. USB is for Audio as well as charging (you can get audio with only the USB cable). The Video cable comes into play if you are in iTunes and want to rent a Movie to watch. When you hit play on the iTunes movie it sends the video to the receiver and you can view it on your monitor. Pretty cool actually.

You can also put the receiver into "Video 2" mode and it will display videos and audio that way as well, but the Audio will be analog from the L/R Audio in plugs on the front instead of in digital format as it is when you use the USB input on the receiver. For the best sound, you'd of course use the USB input and bypass the DAC in the iDevice and use the better DAC in the sony for Digital to Analog conversion duties.

Outstanding! I guess it's not really clear in the manual - should almost be separate diagrams. Looks like a standard connection then - video 2 in - all 3 connections for video and audio when watching something, nothing special except the source is an apple product. That will work! I guess the answer is still no for video through the usb port though for ipods etc..

post #113 of 232 Old 04-18-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Well. Apparently Sony is coming out with a newer model of our beloved 1030 (the 1040). So yeah, it appears this particular model is being phased out. From the description it doesn't sound like it's all that much different from the 1030.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CAAJDP6

post #114 of 232 Old 04-18-2013, 01:06 PM

Liked: 15
How would this compare with the Onkyo TX-NR818?

HDTV: Panasonic TC-P50ST50
Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins 685
Receiver: Sony STR-DA80ES
Blu-ray Player: Playstation 3
Power Center: Monster HDP 1800
post #115 of 232 Old 04-18-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:

Well. Apparently Sony is coming out with a newer model of our beloved 1030 (the 1040). So yeah, it appears this particular model is being phased out. From the description it doesn't sound like it's all that much different from the 1030.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CAAJDP6

Thanks for the info. The person did sound clueless about the back ordered part....

I see it has 4k pass through and an extra hdmi. Probably the same room calibration.

post #116 of 232 Old 04-18-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info. The person did sound clueless about the back ordered part....

I see it has 4k pass through and an extra hdmi. Probably the same room calibration.

I believe the 1030 has 4k pass though as well... not that I need it. I wonder if the GUI on the new one is improved? That seemed to be most folks big gripe about these (I personally think it's fine). I like the front HDMI input, but It appears to cost about a hundred bucks more @ $599.00.

post #117 of 232 Old 04-18-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanBlade86 View Post

How would this compare with the Onkyo TX-NR818?

It would be similar in sound quality but the 818 uses audyssey MultiEq xt32 for room acoustics (top of the line). I am considering getting the onkyo because my ht room has strange acoustics and shape. I do like the 1030 and it does a super job with music and movies. No issues with it.

The 818 requires a wireless adapter ($25) and is missing a couple of the bells and whistles like airplay.

post #118 of 232 Old 04-18-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:

I believe the 1030 has 4k pass though as well... not that I need it. I wonder if the GUI on the new one is improved? That seemed to be most folks big gripe about these (I personally think it's fine). I like the front HDMI input, but It appears to cost about a hundred bucks more @ $599.00.

I don't think it has the 4k - couldn't find that in the specs - but hey - not needed yet....

I am fine with the gui too. It's easy to use and straight forward IMHO.

post #119 of 232 Old 04-18-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think it has the 4k - couldn't find that in the specs - but hey - not needed yet....

I am fine with the gui too. It's easy to use and straight forward IMHO.

Ah, You're right. I was thinking about 3D pass though.

post #120 of 232 Old 04-18-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

The Video Input is missing on the front Panel... I wonder if iTunes Videos still are able to be sent to the big screen? Found a link to some full specs here which imply that Video is now all through USB. I guess we'll have to wait and see: http://www.abt.com/product/68900/Sony-STRDN1040.html

eah9 likes this.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Strdn1030 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Strdn1030 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page