NEW SONY STRDN1030 RECEIVER - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 232 Old 08-26-2013, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought one of these receivers for a specific purpose...the connectivity and streaming capabilities. It is going to be set up in our living room for audio only, pumping out to our various two channel stereo speakers in our house via our adcom speaker switching box. Mostly streamed music via airplay or bluetooth from my samsung galaxy or my wife's iphone5. We also have an old cd changer to play some hard copy music.

My question is this.....for best stereo two channel sound, how should I connect our speakers? Should they be connected to the front left and right, and is there anything else I should do in setup to get the best possible two channel sound out of the receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 232 Old 08-27-2013, 05:15 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post

I just bought one of these receivers for a specific purpose...the connectivity and streaming capabilities. It is going to be set up in our living room for audio only, pumping out to our various two channel stereo speakers in our house via our adcom speaker switching box. Mostly streamed music via airplay or bluetooth from my samsung galaxy or my wife's iphone5. We also have an old cd changer to play some hard copy music.

My question is this.....for best stereo two channel sound, how should I connect our speakers? Should they be connected to the front left and right, and is there anything else I should do in setup to get the best possible two channel sound out of the receiver?

left right connections, set the speaker config to 2, then in a quiet setting run the calibration with the mic in the primary listening area

Energy RC70 L/R | RC-LCR Center | C-R3 Surrounds | VMINI Bookshelves Surrounds | S12.3 and Dual S10.3 Subs | KRK 10s Sub | Benq w1070 pj | Elite 100" Sable Screen | SONY STR-DN1030| Sony S5100 and S3100 BDPs
post #183 of 232 Old 08-27-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eah9 View Post

left right connections, set the speaker config to 2, then in a quiet setting run the calibration with the mic in the primary listening area

I am not going to have a tv set up as part of this system, so can I see the setup through the 1030's little screen or do I have to hook the receiver up to some screen (laptop via hdmi?) in order to see the visuals in setup?
post #184 of 232 Old 08-27-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:

I am not going to have a tv set up as part of this system, so can I see the setup through the 1030's little screen or do I have to hook the receiver up to some screen (laptop via hdmi?) in order to see the visuals in setup?

you can do it with just the avr. hit amp then press menu. make sure gui is off.

Energy RC70 L/R | RC-LCR Center | C-R3 Surrounds | VMINI Bookshelves Surrounds | S12.3 and Dual S10.3 Subs | KRK 10s Sub | Benq w1070 pj | Elite 100" Sable Screen | SONY STR-DN1030| Sony S5100 and S3100 BDPs
post #185 of 232 Old 08-27-2013, 09:01 AM

Thanks I will give the above couple of suggestions a go. If I have to turn the gui off hopefully I can figure out how to do that with the remote. This is an odd configuration these days I know, but there aren't (yet) many receivers that have all the connectivity you want that are geared towards audio only. It should be fun to have all of our streaming sources playing throughout the house!
post #186 of 232 Old 08-27-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:

Thanks I will give the above couple of suggestions a go. If I have to turn the gui off hopefully I can figure out how to do that with the remote. This is an odd configuration these days I know, but there aren't (yet) many receivers that have all the connectivity you want that are geared towards audio only. It should be fun to have all of our streaming sources playing throughout the house!

There is a gui mode button on the remote. It will say gui on or off (toggle) when you press it. It's not hard to navigate using the avr display and remote. Hope it works out for you. I am extremely pleased with this avr. Sounds is terrific and all the bells and whistles are nice!

post #187 of 232 Old 08-27-2013, 12:03 PM

I just tried doing the autocalibration thing with zero success on the avr screen. I can get it to run the tones, then it displays some calculated levels and then asks me to hit 'ent'. I hit the mem/ent button on the receiver which asks me if I want to retry the calibration. I tried pressing the 'ent/mem' button on the remote many times and it also just keeps asking me if I want to retry. I tried the center 'x' button and it did nothing. I don't know how to get this to save a configuration, might be time to move on and to give up on calibration unless there are other ideas. It did sync via bluetooth with my phone ok however. Onto wireless network connections!

Same general issue with setting up wireless connections. The avr on screen does not seem to work on setup, or at least I cannot get things to work. I cannot get to wireless setup page at all, in addition to the above issue with calibration.

If needed can I just hook my laptop up via hdmi and will it act as a 'slave' tv for setup of the avr? That would be a pain but I could do it.
post #188 of 232 Old 08-27-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:

I just tried doing the autocalibration thing with zero success on the avr screen. I can get it to run the tones, then it displays some calculated levels and then asks me to hit 'ent'. I hit the mem/ent button on the receiver which asks me if I want to retry the calibration. I tried pressing the 'ent/mem' button on the remote many times and it also just keeps asking me if I want to retry. I tried the center 'x' button and it did nothing. I don't know how to get this to save a configuration, might be time to move on and to give up on calibration unless there are other ideas. It did sync via bluetooth with my phone ok however. Onto wireless network connections!

Same general issue with setting up wireless connections. The avr on screen does not seem to work on setup, or at least I cannot get things to work. I cannot get to wireless setup page at all, in addition to the above issue with calibration.

If needed can I just hook my laptop up via hdmi and will it act as a 'slave' tv for setup of the avr? That would be a pain but I could do it.

You did have the mic plugged in right? I have re-calibrated my system several times and forgot to plug the mic in one time and it gave me an error.

post #189 of 232 Old 08-27-2013, 12:58 PM

After a bunch of wasted time, just spoke with Sony and confirmed that the only way to set this bad boy up fully is through the gui on a screen. I doubt my laptop will accept a signal coming in so I have to get an hdmi/dvi adapter and plug in a monitor.
post #190 of 232 Old 08-27-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:

After a bunch of wasted time, just spoke with Sony and confirmed that the only way to set this bad boy up fully is through the gui on a screen. I doubt my laptop will accept a signal coming in so I have to get an hdmi/dvi adapter and plug in a monitor.

I have calibrated it without a screen before. I guess some of the other features need a screen. Sorry about all the wasted time. A quick monitor or laptop hook up and you will be good to go.

post #191 of 232 Old 08-27-2013, 04:04 PM

This is really becoming a big time suck. I cannot get the gui to display on the pc monitor I just hooked up either. I am running an hdmi cable out of the hdmi out/arc port on the 1030, then connecting to a pc monitor via hdmi/dvi adapter. I cannot get a display on the monitor other than the monitor contrast adjustments, etc. It powers up fine and shows the dell logo...but nothing from the avr. I wish I had a small hdtv hanging around the house but I just don't. I have no idea what is wrong, but I'm betting against anything being wrong with the avr. I just don't have something set up right, but I have no idea what.

I hooked up one old monitor, a dell ultrasharp. No display from the receiver, looked like it went into sleep mode. Next I plugged in a newer 20 inch hp monitor. I got a message that I need to change video settings to 1600x900 60 hz...well I guess that's progress of some sort, not sure what to do next. I might have to unhook the entire thing and plug it into our existing home theater tv which has direct hdmi. Maybe I can at least do setup of the wireless stuff that way, and then move it back and replug in the speakers in its real location. Don't think I'll be able to calibrate the sound but this has really gotten ridiculous, although I understand that I am one of the few to use this for audio only.
post #192 of 232 Old 08-27-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:

This is really becoming a big time suck. I cannot get the gui to display on the pc monitor I just hooked up either. I am running an hdmi cable out of the hdmi out/arc port on the 1030, then connecting to a pc monitor via hdmi/dvi adapter. I cannot get a display on the monitor other than the monitor contrast adjustments, etc. It powers up fine and shows the dell logo...but nothing from the avr. I wish I had a small hdtv hanging around the house but I just don't. I have no idea what is wrong, but I'm betting against anything being wrong with the avr. I just don't have something set up right, but I have no idea what.

I hooked up one old monitor, a dell ultrasharp. No display from the receiver, looked like it went into sleep mode. Next I plugged in a newer 20 inch hp monitor. I got a message that I need to change video settings to 1600x900 60 hz...well I guess that's progress of some sort, not sure what to do next. I might have to unhook the entire thing and plug it into our existing home theater tv which has direct hdmi. Maybe I can at least do setup of the wireless stuff that way, and then move it back and replug in the speakers in its real location. Don't think I'll be able to calibrate the sound but this has really gotten ridiculous, although I understand that I am one of the few to use this for audio only.

well...press the amp button. make sure you press the gui button on the remote and it says gui on. then press menu on the remote. wait several seconds. if it doesn't work try gui off then on and press menu again. I read that hdmi might be required to get the gui to work. and when I say press amp I.mean the button on the top left of the remote.

post #193 of 232 Old 08-27-2013, 06:08 PM

here's what i ended up doing which seems to be working, although it is taking forever. i disconnected the 1030 and brought it over to our existing home theater system and plugged the 1030 into our existing hd tv. lo and behold i can now access the slothlike gui, which is a major victory. set up wireless network, and it looks like airplay is just a snap for the avr. i want to set up pandora as well which is taking time as i have to register the 1030 with sony first so have to create an account, then register, before the avr will let me access my pandora account. once that is done i have to rehook everything again but at the end of the day i should have airplay, bluetooth and wireless access via this thing which was the goal. it just took too long, but it is really partly my fault as i'm using this thing in a way that is really sort of old school, audio only, so not many will have my problem. the bummer is that i am not going to be able to set up the speaker calibration as that needs to be done in the new setup room, where i have no tv and the gui off won't get me there for reasons i still do not understand. thanks all!! can't wait to actually listen to this thing.....
post #194 of 232 Old 08-27-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:

here's what i ended up doing which seems to be working, although it is taking forever. i disconnected the 1030 and brought it over to our existing home theater system and plugged the 1030 into our existing hd tv. lo and behold i can now access the slothlike gui, which is a major victory. set up wireless network, and it looks like airplay is just a snap for the avr. i want to set up pandora as well which is taking time as i have to register the 1030 with sony first so have to create an account, then register, before the avr will let me access my pandora account. once that is done i have to rehook everything again but at the end of the day i should have airplay, bluetooth and wireless access via this thing which was the goal. it just took too long, but it is really partly my fault as i'm using this thing in a way that is really sort of old school, audio only, so not many will have my problem. the bummer is that i am not going to be able to set up the speaker calibration as that needs to be done in the new setup room, where i have no tv and the gui off won't get me there for reasons i still do not understand. thanks all!! can't wait to actually listen to this thing.....

progress! glad to hear it.

post #195 of 232 Old 08-27-2013, 06:31 PM

i registered the 1030 with sony and now have to wait before pandora can see the registration so i can use the service via the avr instead of my phone. not sure it makes much of a difference but i'd like to have all the options set up before moving this back and hooking it up to speakers again. really wish i could calibrate but no big deal in a 2 channel setup i guess....i appreciate all the assistance folks.
post #196 of 232 Old 08-27-2013, 06:48 PM

I guess I spoke way too soon. the avr wanted to do a software update so I did it, and it said it was done, but at the end the avr screen went blank and all I get now is a blinking green power light. I can't do anything with the receiver. Is is still doing something internally or am I toast now? Geez what a mess. Wait, it came back to life, at least a little..now says updating again. Hope it doesn't crash...this would be funny but it's really not....smile.gif

Unplugged the avr and then plugged it back in...eventually it decided to finish the update, so we are hopefully back in business. I have to see if I can get Pandora to work once my registration is recognized by them (can take 12 hrs from registration), so we are going to try that one last time tomorrow and then hook everything back up again. I hope.

Final update...I hope....got up this morning to do battle again...could not get the avr to link to any of the online music sites. chatted with sony again, and found out i had to not only register the device with sony, but with sony essentials as well...which was not mentioned anywhere in the manual. also, there is a specific registration code for the device buried in the network settings display, again not mentioned anywhere except deep in the sony essentials site. so i eventually found the registration code and was able, i think, to get pandora and slacker linked to the device. at least it looked like it was. anyway, i am off to get the avr re-connected in its final spot now..i think the only thing i will not be able to do is to use auto calibration since on my avr at least it will calibrate but will not save the results since the commands i need do not seem to work with gui off which is where i have to be.

sony can do a lot better than this on set up, but i think the avr 1030 is going to be fantastic! what a saga.....smile.gif
post #197 of 232 Old 08-28-2013, 02:43 PM

How can you tell that the input to the AVR is DTS 5.1 or Dolby 5.1 . My old Sony receiver has a blue light that glows when signal was 5.1 . There is this brief message in the front panel that says "LPCM [48] " .

Thanks for any info.
post #198 of 232 Old 08-28-2013, 11:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 401
LPCM means your player is decoding the audio and converting it to PCM before it sends to your receiver. Check the settings on your player and set it to Bitstream the audio.

Afro GT
post #199 of 232 Old 08-29-2013, 06:14 AM

Player is a older bluray Sony BDP-BX57; on that unit when you press "Display" it says DTS 5.1 when playing a "Game of Thrones". The only setting here is Audio(HDMI): Auto or PCM . I've tried both settings with the same result. Oh, I do get "LFE" in the AVR. I turned off HDMI control in both units.
post #200 of 232 Old 08-29-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamploner View Post

Player is a older bluray Sony BDP-BX57; on that unit when you press "Display" it says DTS 5.1 when playing a "Game of Thrones". The only setting here is Audio(HDMI): Auto or PCM . I've tried both settings with the same result. Oh, I do get "LFE" in the AVR. I turned off HDMI control in both units.

Hi pamploner, to bitstream on the Sony BX57 ... set Audio (HDMI) to "AUTO" and BD Audio Mix to "OFF" (default ON).
post #201 of 232 Old 08-29-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi pamploner, to bitstream on the Sony BX57 ... set Audio (HDMI) to "AUTO" and BD Audio Mix to "OFF" (default ON).

WOW, that works. Thanks a whole lot Jchin.

Sony developers needs some serious training in useability. (Think Apple products = SIMPLE to use). Eg. My much older Sony BX57 has much better UI than the brand new 1030. UI must have been developed using 30-chars-accross screen. Just ranting my frustration.
post #202 of 232 Old 08-29-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamploner View Post

WOW, that works. Thanks a whole lot Jchin.

Sony developers needs some serious training in useability. (Think Apple products = SIMPLE to use). Eg. My much older Sony BX57 has much better UI than the brand new 1030. UI must have been developed using 30-chars-accross screen. Just ranting my frustration.

Other than that, this 1030 rocks. Sound is amazing after running the simple calibration on it.

post #203 of 232 Old 09-02-2013, 07:48 PM

Liked: 13
Im using a Sony 1030 in my living room (5.1 surround sound) and another Sony 1030 in my media room (7.1 surround sound)

Both rooms have directv Hd-Dvrs and Sony Bluray players purchased at Costco within past 90 days.

From the above posts I see that I need to switch the audio output on the bluray players and DVR to Bitstream.

When watching directv which audio mode is best?

When watching a bluray movie which audio mode is best?

One person above mentioned using a certain mode for playing movies with 5.1 audio on a 7.1 system. Are there many movies out with 7.1 audio.

Also, how important is it to update the firmware on these units?
post #204 of 232 Old 09-10-2013, 09:45 PM

Greetings, all.

I just bought a 1030 last week and have a question. I'd like to be able to watch the TV while listening to FM Tuner, Airplay, etc. I was able to do this on my Onkyo 706, but can't make it work with the 1030.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
post #205 of 232 Old 09-11-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflguy View Post

Im using a Sony 1030 in my living room (5.1 surround sound) and another Sony 1030 in my media room (7.1 surround sound)

Both rooms have directv Hd-Dvrs and Sony Bluray players purchased at Costco within past 90 days.

From the above posts I see that I need to switch the audio output on the bluray players and DVR to Bitstream.

When watching directv which audio mode is best?

When watching a bluray movie which audio mode is best?

One person above mentioned using a certain mode for playing movies with 5.1 audio on a 7.1 system. Are there many movies out with 7.1 audio.

Also, how important is it to update the firmware on these units?

I use PLIIx for blu-rays and dvds and digital cable ( I don't have direct tv). It will create phantom sound to get the 5 to 7. There isn't much 7 channel content so this allows you to use those speakers. For music I use stereo most the time or the hd one to include the subwoofers.

The PLIIx is my favorite but it took me a couple of hours of switching back and forth to ultimately decide.

Firmware - I would recommend it since it's easy but up to you. My experience is that Sony fixes things and doesn't break things like some other brands.

post #206 of 232 Old 09-12-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ74365 View Post

Greetings, all.

I just bought a 1030 last week and have a question. I'd like to be able to watch the TV while listening to FM Tuner, Airplay, etc. I was able to do this on my Onkyo 706, but can't make it work with the 1030.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Can anyone assist with my question above?
post #207 of 232 Old 09-12-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Probably not a feature offered on the 1030. Not many receivers let you watch a HDMI source and listen to audio from the tuner, airplay, etc. You can probably listen to a different source in Zone2 but that's not what you're asking.

You could always run a set of component video cables directly from the sat/cable box to the TV.

Then you can watch what you want on the TV and use whatever source you want on the receiver.

Afro GT
post #208 of 232 Old 09-12-2013, 11:08 AM

Thank you!
post #209 of 232 Old 10-01-2013, 05:13 AM

Hi,

I need help to connect a Wii on the STRDN 1030 Receiver : What I want is to connect the Wii to the receiver with a compenent hdtv audio video 5RCA cable adapter, and get audio via the receiver, and have the video sent to the TV through the HDMI.

So I connect the RCA cable to SAT/CATV (in 2 ) input for video, assign "Comp 2" to "video 1" canal and I get the image on the TV through HDMI, but I dont know where to connect the two RCA white and red audio cable to have audio through the receiver. I have tried sa-cd/cd, TV, video 1 (audio 1), sat/catv audio in but I dont get any sound, even if I select "ANALOG" when I go to the option of "video 1" canal.

Is there any way to get the Wii with a 5RCA cable connected to the receiver and get audio through receveir and display through the HDMI ?

post #210 of 232 Old 10-01-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by PePsiMax View Post

So I connect the RCA cable to SAT/CATV (in 2 ) input for video, assign "Comp 2" to "video 1" canal and I get the image on the TV through HDMI, but I dont know where to connect the two RCA white and red audio cable to have audio through the receiver. I have tried sa-cd/cd, TV, video 1 (audio 1), sat/catv audio in but I dont get any sound, even if I select "ANALOG" when I go to the option of "video 1" canal.

Is there any way to get the Wii with a 5RCA cable connected to the receiver and get audio through receveir and display through the HDMI ?

Hi PePsiMax, make sure the Wii audio is plugged into the Audio IN (white & red) not Audio OUT for VIDEO-1 input.

Also you can get a Wii to HDMI Converter for easy connection.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Strdn1030 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Strdn1030 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page