NEW SONY STRDN1030 RECEIVER - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 232 Old 10-01-2013, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi,

I have indeed tried all audio in that the receiver is having on the back, as shown on the picture below : 

in red is where I connected the 3 RCA video cables, and in yellow where I tried to connect the 2 RCA audio cables. I get image, but no sound. One question is what "ANALOG" stand for ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 232 Old 10-01-2013, 06:55 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by PePsiMax View Post

Hi,

I have indeed tried all audio in that the receiver is having on the back, as shown on the picture below : 

in red is where I connected the 3 RCA video cables, and in yellow where I tried to connect the 2 RCA audio cables. I get image, but no sound. One question is what "ANALOG" stand for ?

Look at the manual pages 88 and 89. You might need to reassign the video input. And make sure you aren't using the hdmi equivalent (catv/sat etc...) with an HDMI connection. I believe I had to do that with my similar setup - component in for video and analog audio (red/white) for sound. The receiver will default to the digital sound over the analog.

EDIT:

I just checked my receiver.

Video - I use the component (green/blue/red - BD/DVD) - to the right of your red box.
Audio - I use the audio in (red/white - right above the 1 in "video 1" - second yellow box)

I believe I reassigned the BD/DVD to the video 1 input to match the audio (video 1). Again - you can't use video 1 with an hdmi cable because there will be a conflict. After you reassign - you would select video 1 as the receiver input to get both picture and sound.

The option button on the remote will need to be used once in there.

Energy RC70 L/R | RC-LCR Center | C-R3 Surrounds | VMINI Bookshelves Surrounds | S12.3 and Dual S10.3 Subs | KRK 10s Sub | Benq w1070 pj | Elite 100" Sable Screen | SONY STR-DN1030| Sony S5100 and S3100 BDPs
post #213 of 232 Old 10-01-2013, 10:17 AM

Many thanks Eah9, you pointed out what I was doing wrong, it is now working perfectly fine !! :)

post #214 of 232 Old 10-01-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PePsiMax View Post

Many thanks Eah9, you pointed out what I was doing wrong, it is now working perfectly fine !! smile.gif

Great!!! I went through the same thing and it took me a while to get it working.

You can also rename the inputs - so they display on the front of the receiver - ie. WII, XBOX360 etc...Again, the not so well documented options button on the remote for that too.

Enjoy!!

Energy RC70 L/R | RC-LCR Center | C-R3 Surrounds | VMINI Bookshelves Surrounds | S12.3 and Dual S10.3 Subs | KRK 10s Sub | Benq w1070 pj | Elite 100" Sable Screen | SONY STR-DN1030| Sony S5100 and S3100 BDPs
post #215 of 232 Old 10-07-2013, 09:56 PM

Liked: 14
Does anyone know anything about the latest update? I just received notification on the receiver that it is available.
post #216 of 232 Old 10-08-2013, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRonnie7 View Post

Does anyone know anything about the latest update? I just received notification on the receiver that it is available.

The info is listed on the sony site.

This upgrades the firmware to version 1.084 and provides improved TV SideView connectivity with an iPhone® or iPod® device to the AV receiver.

I updated - took a little while but worked fine.
Eyefly likes this.

post #217 of 232 Old 10-22-2013, 10:46 PM

Liked: 11
Just bought my DN1030 last week at Costco and now it's on sale for $349.99! Absolutely the best deal in audio right now. I used to own an Onkyo TX-SR707 but then the HDMI no sound problem struck it down in its prime. This Sony sounds even better than the Onkyo. Dramatically better. I knew that Costco was planning on selling these at a even lower price because they stocked up on them. Add Costco's concierge service and it's a win-win.
Snafu55 likes this.
post #218 of 232 Old 10-23-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfmeister View Post

Just bought my DN1030 last week at Costco and now it's on sale for $349.99! Absolutely the best deal in audio right now. I used to own an Onkyo TX-SR707 but then the HDMI no sound problem struck it down in its prime. This Sony sounds even better than the Onkyo. Dramatically better. I knew that Costco was planning on selling these at a even lower price because they stocked up on them. Add Costco's concierge service and it's a win-win.

Congrats! I thought I got mine at a steal for $399 at HHGREGG on sale about 8 months ago. Agree - I am completely satisfied with this avr. Sound and picture are fantastic. Not too often these days where things just work and work well.

Enjoy!!!

post #219 of 232 Old 10-30-2013, 04:29 PM

I also just bought the 1030 at Costco for $349. I had been waiting for the price to drop as it seemed a bit long in the tooth at Costco. They actually still had the $399 price but I inquired and they printed out a new sign with the lower price and commented on the sales they may have missed in not updating the price.

I was reminded that back in 1981 I bought a top end Sony stereo receiver with AM/FM for $350 at a stereo store near San Francisco. Also bought a Sony cassette tape player at the time for another $350. I think what I bought today is a real bargain when compared to the earlier one!
post #220 of 232 Old 11-02-2013, 06:11 PM

Hi there formerly had wonderful strdb920 for 10 years but not up to date and losing rear sound occasionally due cold solders? Any now have strdn1030 wired as follows ps3 hdmi to avr to TV Samsung plasma Cisco per hdmi to TV not thru avr and optical to avr questions do GUI changes to avr thru ps3 input also affect the input from pvr or if not how can I adjust pvr optical input without GUI mode since video goes direct to tv from pvr appreciate any suggestions having some centre channel issues with optical input from Cisco pvr
post #221 of 232 Old 11-20-2013, 01:47 AM

Hi All;

Hoping someone here can help me solve my quandries with this model. Trying to update a home theater system for some friends. Picked up this Sony and all seems good except for the following.

1. Can't get zone 2 to work with a second amplifier to power some bedroom and patio speakers.
I have done the following:
A. Turned zone 2 on ;~))
B. In SP, set the speakers to several of the settings (according to manual instructions) and then turned the SB to Bi-Amp
C. Hooked "Zone 2 Out" connections to a Video In channel on the other receiver (Integra DTR 7.1). I know this receiver and the speakers hooked up to it are working fine because the video 2 channel has the sat box in the bedroom hooked up to it and all sounds fab.

What am I doing wrong here or what am I missing? I thought I should be able to run a 5.1 system with Zone 2 sending out a signal to the other amp.

2. The brand new dell PC I have hooked up to it is pushing off the edges of the screen (sony 47" bravia TV). I have tried the following to compensate:

A. Tried other various settings in the control panel for the built in video card of the computer
B. Tried adjusting the video card with custom resolutions, but it did not seem to change what the sony receiver was feeding the TV.

Is there some setting I can adjust on the sony receiver (or tv for that matter) to get this to fit properly. I am not sure if other stuff is cutting off as well (sat box, DVD player, etc.). I have not tested that stuff. All items are hooked up with HDMI cables except the 100 disc CD player which is using a tos link optical cable.

Thanks for any light you can shed on these topics for me.

Cheers~
C

Denon AVR-2312ci
LG 47LM6400
Oppo BDP-93
HTPC w/ Asus MB, 8GB RAM, Kingston SSD drive, Radeon 5400 video card
Klipsch HD300 Compact 5.1 (Main Zone)
B&W 601's (in Zone 2)
post #222 of 232 Old 11-24-2013, 01:36 AM

Anyone? Trying to get this done and have not had any luck with what I have tried. Does anyone know if Sony will give me support on getting this stuff to work right?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
W

Denon AVR-2312ci
LG 47LM6400
Oppo BDP-93
HTPC w/ Asus MB, 8GB RAM, Kingston SSD drive, Radeon 5400 video card
Klipsch HD300 Compact 5.1 (Main Zone)
B&W 601's (in Zone 2)
post #223 of 232 Old 11-30-2013, 07:50 AM

How do you fix the mysterious default back to the "TV" mode.  My receiver is hooked up to cable and every time we turn off the tv and then turn back on, the receiver defaults back to the "TV" mode and to make matters worse I have to manually switch it back to SAT/CATV because remote will not work now.  This is a very complicated system.  I also had to hook up the receiver to an IR because it is hidden in a cabinet 8 feet in the air.

post #224 of 232 Old 02-02-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
How do you fix the mysterious default back to the "TV" mode.  My receiver is hooked up to cable and every time we turn off the tv and then turn back on, the receiver defaults back to the "TV" mode and to make matters worse I have to manually switch it back to SAT/CATV because remote will not work now.

+1. I have a new Samsung un65f7100 and a new STRDN1030. It's set up with the Cox Contour box into the SAT/CATV input via HDMI and the tv connected via the HDMI out. I hit the power on the tv and the Contour turns on and the avr turns on. But the AVR goes to the TV input instead of the CATV input that it was on when I shut it off. That makes the tv think there's no signal on the HDMI, so it defaults to the TV input and sets off a mad scramble to switch inputs that inevitably ends with much swearing.

Is the solution as simple as switching the Contour box to the TV HDMI input or does the Sony just not play nicely with Samsung's HDMI? If that's the case, what's the solution to make them cooperate?
post #225 of 232 Old 03-19-2014, 05:09 PM

Just picked up my STRDN1030 at Costco today for 245. What a deal!! Last one. Set it up this afternoon and enjoying it now. Excellent receiver and deal. Loving it so far.
post #226 of 232 Old 03-19-2014, 05:53 PM

Hey there guys, I'm an amateur when it comes to audio systems. So, I recently bought a house which has a Russound A-BUS 4 Zone/Single Source In-Wall Hub installed. And, I'm thinking about getting the Sony STRDN1030. Also there are 4 speakers total.

I'm just wondering if these two things will work out. Any advice welcome. Thanks.

This is the A-BUS Hub: http://www.russound.com/product_detail.php?i=2769

post #227 of 232 Old 04-02-2014, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys,
I'm hoping someone can help me out. For the life of me I can not figure out how to get the volume level to show up on the TV screen when raising or lowering the volume on the STRDN-1030. Is this not possible with this model?

Thanks
post #228 of 232 Old 08-02-2014, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
hey guys i just bought this receiver and i cant get DTS-HD and TrueHD to play on movies....can someone please help me on what i have to adjust, thanks.
post #229 of 232 Old 08-02-2014, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmroyalmachine View Post
hey guys i just bought this receiver and i cant get DTS-HD and TrueHD to play on movies....can someone please help me on what i have to adjust, thanks.

I wouldn't touch any Sony receiver with a 20-foot cattle prod...but that's a topic for a different day and audience; with regard to your question, are you connected from your source (Blu-ray player) to the AVR via HDMI? If so, do you have your BD player set to transmit HDMI audio via BITSTREAM?

Check these and report back...

post #230 of 232 Old 08-03-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Check those settings that the other guy mentioned. I have had this receiver for over a year and it is awesome. No problems at all. Sony started making better models and this is one of them. Well worth the $. No regrets.
post #231 of 232 Old 08-14-2014, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I had the same problem. Go in to settings HDMI and select AMP. Not TV+AMP. This should fix your problem. Enjoy.
post #232 of 232 Old 08-14-2014, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macshield View Post
Hey guys,<br>
I'm hoping someone can help me out. For the life of me I can not figure out how to get the volume level to show up on the TV screen when raising or lowering the volume on the STRDN-1030. Is this not possible with this model?<br><br>
Thanks
The only time I can get the volume to show is when I'm in GUI mode. The 1030's OSD is not that great.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Strdn1030 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Strdn1030 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page