Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 232 Old 07-23-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
cvh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
SONY STRDN-1030 RECEIVER

So, I finally exchanged my Sony STRDH830 for the NEW SONY STRDN-1030 on Sunday.

One Word - "AWESOME"

The STRDH830 was and is a fantastic receiver and only had it for a few days until I heard the STRDN1030 was due to be released.
I swapped it out and man am I Really impressed. Right out the box worked like a charm. Did a few setup steps for Decoding Master Audio and TrueHD. Then I setup the Built in Wireless Network (yes, I said Built in Wireless) and did a firmware update. All worked just flawlessly.

The next day I setup SONY REMOTE APP on my Android HTC inspire, did a few tweaks and finally was able to, not only control the receiver, but also stream my music on my phone to the receiver. All functions of my Music Player app controlled my song list. networked my Laptop to the receiver wirelessly and was able to stream my music on it to the receiver and control my song list from the Laptop.

My previous Sony STRDH830 did not have these bells and whistles and I honestly thought I would never really use it. Well, I was wrong. I just love it. Audio Decode on Movies beautiful. HDMI handshaking and In/Out just works. Picture Quality Transfer to HD33 from HDMI out is excellent.

The only cons to the STR-DH830 as well as the STRDN1030, or any Sony receiver right now is it has a terrible GUI interface displayed on the screen. This really doesn't bother me, because once setup, i just use my remote or phone to make any changes and totally control the receiver without the onscreen GUI. Also, the remote is way to cluttered. Very hard to navigate. Too many buttons.
This can be a good thing bcause there is all the functions u need on the darn thing Would be nice if it was backlit but many competitives don't offer it anyway.

I recently returned 4 receivers within a 3 week period and settled on the STRDN1030. CNET just did a recent review of the STRDN1030, Onkyo RXX 616 and the Yamaha XXX 573 and compared the Sony sound quality as equal to Denon 1912. At this price range and features, and since it has a wireless antenna, Cant beat the value and build quality.

I highly recommend it.
HeadSpace10 and Brysiejuls like this.

He Came to Give You Life and Life More Abundantly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 232 Old 07-23-2012, 11:47 AM

Liked: 10
How quiet is the transformer on it? My DH820's transformer has gotten loud after a little over a year of ownership.
post #3 of 232 Old 07-23-2012, 12:30 PM

Thanks for starting this thread cvh! I have been calling hhgregg every day waiting for this thing to come in. I don't understand why they can't tell me when it will be available! mad.gif
post #4 of 232 Old 07-23-2012, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
cvh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97vobra View Post

How quiet is the transformer on it? My DH820's transformer has gotten loud after a little over a year of ownership.

Very Quiet. HAVE NOT HEARD A PEEP OUT OF THIS THING SO FAR.

post #5 of 232 Old 07-23-2012, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
cvh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadSpace10 View Post

Thanks for starting this thread cvh! I have been calling hhgregg every day waiting for this thing to come in. I don't understand why they can't tell me when it will be available! mad.gif

I called HHGG almost every day asking about in stock or not. I finally went over there when I noticed it on their website Friday. Talked to the sales guy and he said they will deliver Saturday around 5pm.
I called them around 6pm and they said just came in. I asked them to hold it for me since I had a HHGG Credit Card. I Picked it up Sunday afternoon.
BB does not carry it yet and they had no idea when. I went on amazon after i purchased it and they are out of stock. WOW.

today i went on HHGG site and they had the sucker on a sale, only $20 off. I was shocked. I called them and they gave me the sale price after i had bought it the day before.
I guess they are trying to push it and sell these suckers. Competition, I love it. They had an initial limited shipment on saturday for a display model and a couple extra.
Huge batch of 68 is on the way. I snagged the last one.

Man, this thing rocks. A little early to tell if it will last, but at least it comes with a 2yr warranty.

post #6 of 232 Old 07-25-2012, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
cvh

HEAD-SPACE,

LINK BELOW FOR SUB ON SALE AT HHGG (POLK AUDIO)

http://www.hhgregg.com/polk-audio-100-watt-10-monitor-series-powered-subwoofer/item/PSW108#tab4

post #7 of 232 Old 07-26-2012, 06:53 AM

Thanks for the link on the sub. It may be a minute before I can purchase one. I am right up against my budget after getting the Optoma Hd33, a few pairs of glasses, and the receiver. I need to get 2 more pairs of glasses and a sub.. eventually. I move to a new house next week.

Anyway, I picked up this receiver last night, and was able to play with it a bit. I'm VERY pleased with it so far. I want to write up a proper review, and post on amazon given that there is only review and its negative (dude didn't know what he was buying).

Initial impressions:

-Gui sucks. lets get that out of the way right now. Its nothing too concerning, this is literally last on my list of priorities.

-App for mobile is weak. Yamaha has a pretty cool one, that also allows you to play music from your device, as well as play with audio settings. Again not a deal breaker for me.

-WIFI and BLUETOOTH is HUGE!! To me it makes up for the weak app. I can use the receiver as a speaker and play anything from my Galaxy Nexus running Android. My wife can easily do the same from her iPhone, and she likes the east of Airplay, and this works great on this amp.

-Sound quality is really great. So far, I'm ony doing stereo (i'm half packed up), but I find the audio to sound mch better than my Onkyo did. This probably has a lot to do with how Powerful this Sony is. My Energy speaker LOVE power, so I'm really happy with the Sony.

-I watched a little bit of 3d Legend of the Guardians and it was great. No problems at all!

CVH... a question for you. On my Onkyo I could sort of mix and match video and audio signals. I want to know if this is possible on the Sony. Let me explain. On an audio only input, lets say CD that is using 2 RCA inputs. If I were playing PS3 on the dvd, it has picture, if i switched to CD, since it is audio only, it would pass-through the previous input video signal. So i could listen to CD whilst playing a ps3 game. Do you know if that is possible?
post #8 of 232 Old 07-27-2012, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
cvh

HEADSPACE

I cannot really tell you this right now. I've not gotten anywhere near playing around with all the setups and features. Have not really set it up entirely with my CD player, PS3 or even TV. I have it only hooked up to the HD33 and Only really watching Blu rays and 3D. Down the road when time permits, I will have it completely setup. Only thig I can say is just try it when u setup your system. Sony may not let you do this.

I always find that there are always features on diffeent receivers that you wish had everything you want. I guess it just doesn't work that way. Goes for any electronic device. mad.gif
Keep us posted with all the info and input and the move.

I agree, the one review of the Sony STRDN1030 on amazon is just downright awful. a 1 star. Please. What was he smoking when he did the review. Some really strong stuff i think. I am also getting ready to review it as soon as I setup the Sony and have time to write one. I have tried 4 receivers in this price range and the Sony tops the list IMO. Does not have all the coolest features that Onkyo has, but I would rather have a problem free, well built, long lasting quality Product anyway. I have had a Sony sub and two mid size speakers for 10 yrs. I also had 2 powerhouse sony fronts that lasted about the same, but woofer and tweeter started distorting over the years.

My new fronts are sony FS6000's and they really rock for the price range I got them at. Also two Bose surrounds and a Polk audio center.

anyway, keep us informed.

post #9 of 232 Old 08-17-2012, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I've been using the strdn1030 for a couple weeks with a 5.1 system, PS3 Slim and TiVo HD inputs and output to a 42" Panasonic Plasma. I also have it connected to the internet via Ethernet. The strdn1030 is an upgrade from an "ancient" non-HDMI capable Panasonic A/V Receiver and a Monoprice HDMI Switch.

I am very happy with my purchase. I ultimately decided on the Sony for several reasons. First, I wanted integrated Bluetooth Audio Streaming. I have an external plugin Logitech Wireless Speaker Adapter connected to another receiver in my home and though I am overall very happy with its functionality, I was hoping an integrated option would afford some additional benefits. My hopes were realized. Once it is paired with a Bluetooth device the strdn1030 automatically turns on from "Standby" and immediately plays music (compared with my Logitech setup where I have to open the cabinet, turn on the receiver and then stream Spotify).

Second, I wanted the future flexibility afforded by built in WiFi (even though I'm not currently using it).

Third, I had previously had some HDMI handshake issues when using my PS3 with a Monoprice HDMI Switch and was hoping another Sony product would eliminate that problems. I have had zero HDMI issues between the Receiver, PS3, TiVo HD and my display. I will say that the delay in powering on the system and switching inputs is significantly longer than when I used the HDMI switch, but it isn't an unacceptably long delay.

Finally, Cnet had very positive things to say about the audio quality. I have found the audio quality to be exceptional.

I have a couple of complaints. No doubt, the GUI is definitely fugly. My other issue is that the strdn1030 shipped with an auto standby feature enabled. I think the default was that the receiver turn off after 10 minutes without an input. I had Netflix streaming of an episode of Sons of Anarchy interrupted three times before I finally got off my butt, grabbed the manual and found the problem. Everything was golden after disabling the auto standby setting in the (very ugly) GUI menu.

Another issue came up when I had the bright idea to GUI menu to pair my Bluetooth device. I thought I figured it out how to do it, and it didn't work. I next dug out the manual and looked up Bluetooth pairing in the glossary. It directed me to page 101 (I think). That page wasn't useful. I was briefly flummoxed until I found a second section on Bluetooth Pairing in the manual which was not referenced in the glossary (page 84?).

Come on Sony. An ugly, unintuitive GUI Menu coupled with a misleading user manual can be a serious problem to an average consumer…especially with a feature like Bluetooth!

PSN ID: Kranin
post #10 of 232 Old 09-24-2012, 02:43 PM

CVH (or anyone else),
Sorry my first post to AVS starts with a question but is the Sony STRDN1030 really 21 inches wide?? I'm really interested in purchasing this receiver along with the Sony BDPS790 3D Blu-ray Player but have 19" in my cabinet. Not 21. Ugh! Thanks in advance.
post #11 of 232 Old 09-24-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Its around 17" wide just like pretty much every AV Receiver

From Crutchfield website
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-DVEpW6p1gmF/p_158STN1030/Sony-STR-DN1030.html#overview-tab
•16-15/16"W x 6-1/4"H x 13-1/4"D

From Sony website
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&productId=8198552921666468385&langId=-1&XID=O:strdn1030:dg_gglsrch:pla&cagpspn=pla#specifications
Dimensions (WxHxDcm)(Approx.) : 16.9 x 6.2 x 12.7 in (430 x 158 x 322.6mm)

You must have been looking at carton dimensions if you saw anything around 20-21"

Afro GT
post #12 of 232 Old 09-24-2012, 03:07 PM

Thank you afrogt! I'm so relieved. I was looking at Amazon's product dimensions of 21 x 14 x 9 inches. I did not take that to mean carton. Mislabeled or I'm misinterpreting. Thanks for the links to confirm. Much appreciated. Now to purchase both Sony products along with the LG 65LM6200.
post #13 of 232 Old 09-30-2012, 08:07 PM

this may be a stupid question, but i just bought this and im guessing that the two subwoofer outputs are only pre-amp level. so i need an amp to power the two 10", 300 watt 8 ohm subs that are cut into the wall behind me, run with 14awg speaker wire...any suggestions that arent too expensive?
post #14 of 232 Old 10-02-2012, 10:16 AM

I recently wrote this review on sony and amazon and would like to share here:

There is probably something wrong with this model, since two brand new receivers had dead Bravia Sync functionality. Documentation about Bravia Sync is slim at best. It seems that this is not as popular functionality as I thought it would.

Here is my sad story. Bought a 55hx750 tv about three months ago. Discovered that Bravia Sync is the functionality that lets you control the receiver through the tv . It automatically turns it on/off volume up/down, tv settings change to audio output, just by using the tv remote. The receiver can stay out of sight. (Sounds much better than dropping huge coin on universal programmable remotes that may not work each time you use them). All this is done through the hdmi cables. Well that is too sweet to pass.
First problem, Bravia Sync is only compatible with other Bravia sync products; therefore you are pretty much married to Sony if you decided to use this functionality. Alright, I can live with that since sony has always proven to be a good brand. Bought the Sony receiver (even though I really preferred yamaha) and hooked it up. Bravia Sync worked flawlessly, it kicked in immediately. Audio Return Channel kicked in immediately as well. Life was bliss for two weeks. One day it stopped.

I spent hours upon hours talking to sony tech support. We went through all the settings conceivable, changed hdmi cables, and eventually determined that the problem is the receiver. So the receiver goes back to BB. Swapped it for a brand new same model. Came back home, hooked it up and NADA. Bravia sync was still not working. Called sony back and determined that the tv is the problem. Three weeks later, they sent me a brand spanking new TV as well. Guess what kiddies? Bravia sync was still a no go. So, at this point I have a brand new tv, brand new hdmi cables, brand new receiver, and bravia sync is still not working.

Receiver went back to BB and I am back with my old yamaha. frown.gif

I should have picked up a Samsung TV in the first place (as opposed to buying a TV @ the sony store) and have more options when trying to use hdmi control functionality.

Be warned, Sony products are not what they used to. Too many unfulfilled promises.
post #15 of 232 Old 10-10-2012, 04:57 PM

Purchased this receiver today. It's going back.
It cannot output audio to both the amp and TV without downconverting the signal to 2ch stereo (for both). It says as much in the manual. My other receivers do not downconvert the signal for the receiver. Since I don't always watch Television with the receiver on I want it to be able to pass the audio through when in standby. Yes it can do that, but only by sacrificing the audio to the receiver. So if I want to go watch a movie or something I would need to go into the settings (each time) and switch the audio out in the HDMI settings from TV+AMP to just AMP. I don't want to have to do that, and I know other receivers can do both (pass a stereo signal to a TV in standby mode AND output discrete surround sound when on, without having to mess with settings each time.
post #16 of 232 Old 10-10-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That doesn't make sense to me. You only want it to pass thru audio to the TV when the amp is in standby mode. Why would it need to be TV + AMP for that to happen?

My Denon sure doesn't do that. I only have it set to AMP.

I tried standby mode once just verify that it works and it does. However I really see no point watching TV w/o the receiver on. Takes away much of the enjoyment without good sound.

Afro GT
post #17 of 232 Old 10-10-2012, 06:42 PM

Doesn't make sense to me either, but that's how it works. Set it to AMP only and you get no sound, only video when the Sony is in standby mode. Set it to TV+AMP and you do get sound to the TV in standby mode, but at the cost I mentioned in my previous post.

From the manual:

• TV+AMP: The sound is output from TV’s
speaker and the speakers connected to the
receiver.
Notes
• The sound quality of the playback equipment
depends on the TV’s sound quality, such as the
number of channels, and the sampling
frequency, etc. If the TV has stereo speakers, the
sound output from the receiver is also in stereo as
that of the TV, even if you play back multi
channel source.
post #18 of 232 Old 10-10-2012, 10:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just another reason not to buy a Sony receiver...frown.gif

Afro GT
post #19 of 232 Old 10-11-2012, 01:03 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatal View Post

Purchased this receiver today. It's going back.
It cannot output audio to both the amp and TV without downconverting the signal to 2ch stereo (for both). It says as much in the manual. My other receivers do not downconvert the signal for the receiver. Since I don't always watch Television with the receiver on I want it to be able to pass the audio through when in standby. Yes it can do that, but only by sacrificing the audio to the receiver. So if I want to go watch a movie or something I would need to go into the settings (each time) and switch the audio out in the HDMI settings from TV+AMP to just AMP. I don't want to have to do that, and I know other receivers can do both (pass a stereo signal to a TV in standby mode AND output discrete surround sound when on, without having to mess with settings each time.

If you're only concerned about passing the cable/sat box audio through the AVR when in Standby, you may want to simply consider connecting the cable/sat box (HDMI) directly to the TV with cable/sat box (optical) to the AVR for when you want to use the surround speakers.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #20 of 232 Old 10-11-2012, 06:23 AM

Thanks, jdsmoothie. I did consider that, but ultimately chose to go the route of getting a piece of gear that will work as I expect the technology to work (and know that it can if implemented by the manufacturer). I realize at this price point you "can't always get what you want", but there are other choices out there that do work in the manner I prefer.
post #21 of 232 Old 10-15-2012, 05:42 PM

This doesn't make sense to me at all. First, why do you want to source your audio from your TV, don't you have a cable box or satellite box to watch TV ? If you do, then connect the box by HDMI to the receiver then the receiver to the TV and turn HDMI function to auto or on on passthrough. Second, is your TV 5.1 capable, if not then your sound will only be stereo not multichannel because your source is stereo with this set-up. If your TV is not ARC compatible, then you need to connect by TOS link to digital input in the receiver. Still this comes down to your TV being capable of 5.1 sound decoding. The output is only as good as the source. Even if the program says 5.1 but your TV is not capable of decoding it then your output will only be stereo no matter what.
post #22 of 232 Old 10-27-2012, 02:03 PM

Hi to everybody

I recently bought this receiver and I want to share my opinion and judgment about.

Firstly I made some Internet research taking in account the budget (Around $500), the features, the brand (For example there is no Onkyo in my country, and even though I was going to make the purchase by Internet from USA, it seemed to me sounder to stick with a brand-name that was available here), and some other considerations (As size, weight, etc.).

I reviewed gear (and downloaded plenty of information about) from Sony, Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer and others, and at the end I favored the Sony, so when I did my acquisition I was pretty aware of what I was getting into. Nevertheless I cannot deny that my first impression was a little bit of disappointment. This new receiver was replacing an old (But very faithful!) Sony STR-DE945, that was also -in its moment- the top of the mid-line of the AV receivers from Sony (From there up it is only the ES Series) and it was kind of depressing that two similar range equipments from the same Company -separated just years apart- could be so different. First my old receiver was heavier and larger (deeper). Second the STR-DE945 was the one with the fashionable LCD Remote Commander that was ahead of its time when it was new; the one that comes with the new 1030 is an unremarkable piece of plastic cluttered with a zillion buttons some of which have several functions and it reminds me more of those 80’s Scientific Calculators from Texas Instruments. But well I guess that is a consequence of the times, so we consumers get less and less for our money as time goes by.

But do not misread me, after ten days or so living with it I am rather content with my acquisition. I will try to be concise about what I liked and what I didn´t.

First the things I liked:

-it has 7 channels of amplification.
-The sound is rather clean and detailed with a tight bass (I know this may be in part a byproduct of the Room-EQ). Keep in mind that my room-speaker set up is the same, so the only thing different is the new amplifier (In this regard the 1030 has received good marks in both CNET and AUDIO +VISION reviews).
-Once calibrated you have a great degree of flexibility to adjust speaker distances (At 1cm or 1 inch interval) and choose Crossover Frequencies separately for each group of speakers (From 40Hz to 200Hz at 10Hz interval)
-It has DPLII, DPLIIx, DPLIIz and NEO6, all of them in both versions, Music and Cinema
-It handles all the new HD sound Codices, and as it is DLNA-certified you know that you can update the software (In fact I already did) perhaps for things to come in the near future.
-It has many several features as built-in Wi-Fi (That works as a charm), DCAC (Digital Cinema Audio Calibration), APM (Automatic Phase Matching), DLL (Digital Legato Linear), Auto Faroujda Up-convert/Upscale Circuitry, Sound Optimizer (Something sort of similar to a function of some THX- certified hardware), Advanced Auto Volume function, and some others like Bluetooth, Air-play, USB-port that I have yet to test.
-It has not many DSP environment enhancers, but the few it has sound pleasant, clean and sort of professional.
-You can connect and use Internet content (I prefer using my Bluray for that though, and because of the GUI I do not recommend using the receiver for this)

And now what I didn´t liked:

-The GUI is ugly, dated and too much slow to display. My Bluray is also a Sony and the GUI is a joy to behold. What's more, each time you recall the GUI with the RC everything goes to a halt from which it takes several seconds to recover to finally retrieve any information. Shame on you Sony!
-The EQ controls are plain, to say the least, and there are only for the front Speakers. Besides they only can be recalled directly from the front of the apparatus itself (If you want to use the remote you have to go by the GUI….. and you know the rest). In comparison my old receiver had a 3-band parametric EQ with 21-selectable center frequencies for each band and for each group of speakers. I know that the DCAC and CAL is supposedly a sort of room-EQ, but nevertheless seems a little bit paltry from Sony to skip on this.
-Not too many Surround types or Sound Fields. I know this side of Lexicon, the best in this regard are the ones that come from Yamaha, but my old receiver had 27 different options in this regard, and many of them had several adjustable parameters (Effect level, Rev. time, Wall Hardness, etc). The 1030 is plain vanilla in this regard, a sort of take it or leave it situation: except for the HD Cinema type, all others have no user changeable characteristics.
-Even though my old and new receiver are similarly powered, at least in paper (about 100 W/channel), to attain the same sound loudness that took in my old receiver to go up a little bit more than a quarter, I need to go over 40 (of a top 72), so go figure.
-The display has ALL the information but is sort of small and crowded with no discernible criteria; the only way that you can read the tiny characters is that you have the receiver at arm-length.

Life is far from perfect, and the 1030 certainly it is not, but as I said before I was rather aware of what I was purchasing and I am generally content with it. Well I hope this could be of some interest or utility to any prospective buyer.

Regards
post #23 of 232 Old 10-29-2012, 08:12 AM

How does the auto calibration on this compare to Audyssey? Does it handle subwoofers?
post #24 of 232 Old 11-20-2012, 07:20 PM

I just recently started using the DN1030. The receiver appears to be compatible with my Panasonic TC-P50U50 as far as the fancy HDMI control.
Both the receiver and the television talk to each other with regards to Power ON/OFF and volume. It's pretty convenient; power on one device and it switches on the other. Same for power off.
I did turn off the power off feature so I could listen to music with the TV off, but you all get the idea.
I also second how awful the GUI is but luckily you hardly need to use it. I recommend using the smart phone app to control it.
One feature I haven't figured out yet is the upscale conversion of analog video; hopefully over the Thanksgiving holiday I will try again to figure it out.
Overall great receiver for my needs.
post #25 of 232 Old 11-21-2012, 08:00 AM

Hi McOtis

About the upscale conversion of analog video there is nothing there to figure out; the receiver simply takes the analog signal and passes it through the HDMI connection to your TV as a 1080i signal; the TV must proceed with the final conversion to the monitor native 1080p resolution. I have actually an old DVD (My first one which was not progessive) connected to the receiver using this function: The audio part goes through an optical conection and the video part goes through component cables.
post #26 of 232 Old 12-08-2012, 07:57 AM

I just purchased the Sony STR-DN1030 and the one thing I can't figure out is how to listen to music with the TV off. Everytime I turn the TV off the receiver turns off. Where is the setting for this?
post #27 of 232 Old 12-08-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon47 View Post

I just purchased the Sony STR-DN1030 and the one thing I can't figure out is how to listen to music with the TV off. Everytime I turn the TV off the receiver turns off. Where is the setting for this?

Go to "SETTINGS" then "HDMI then set "Ctrl for HDMI to OFF
Damon47 likes this.
post #28 of 232 Old 12-14-2012, 12:52 PM

I have a Sony STR-DN1030 with a Sharp Aquos 80" TV 80LE632U and a Sony BDP-S185 BluRay. All HDMI driven. Everything works fine. Awesome receiver. The only problem I have is when you change inputs on the remote, (i.e. Press SAT/CBL button or BLU/DVD or VIDEO1 button) it takes 45+ seconds to change the input. Is that what everyone else experiences with this receiver? ..or is it just me.
post #29 of 232 Old 12-15-2012, 08:08 AM

Hello guys, I had to register because I was looking for some help with this receiver. Im upgrading from the Sony STR-DN1000 which I always thought was a great receiver as well. My problem is im half deaf and I have a 7.1 setup with all Polk speakers. So here's the thing, I have my cable box, 2 xbox's (ones banned for campaigns and ones for xbox live) and my Mitsubishi 65" all hooked up through Hdmi cables. I'm not really into watching movies or blue rays I just watch normal tv and playing xbox. I use the multi stereo function beacuse to me it seems to give me the loudest sound I can but I feel like i'm really missing out because of all the other options this receiver gives you. I'm no audiophile by any means but i'm not a dummy either. This being the 2nd Sony i've owned im familiar with the gui. What settings do you guys usually use for watching normal tv or playing xbox/ps3? I calibrated like ive done in the past and just wondered if you guys who are so smart with this stuff use specific audio settings for specific things..etc..

Hope this makes sense and it sucks being half deaf. I do like the wifi and bluetooth options and streaming music from my home network is pretty freaking cool. Thanks
post #30 of 232 Old 12-15-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoses View Post

I have a Sony STR-DN1030 with a Sharp Aquos 80" TV 80LE632U and a Sony BDP-S185 BluRay. All HDMI driven. Everything works fine. Awesome receiver. The only problem I have is when you change inputs on the remote, (i.e. Press SAT/CBL button or BLU/DVD or VIDEO1 button) it takes 45+ seconds to change the input. Is that what everyone else experiences with this receiver? ..or is it just me.

I am experiencing the same. I just got this receiver and not sure how happy i am with it. My previous avr was a sony da4300es but it did not handle 3d. Wishing now i would have spent the money for another es or comparable AVR.

I have also noticed that the dialog though the center channel isn't as clear as previous es.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Strdn1030 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Strdn1030 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page