Cerwin Vega at15 using a 20 watt x2 Tripath amp can blow the speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-23-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I saw this on youtube today. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHPk9jB-C7A
I heard that if you don't give a speaker enough watts it might make it clip and blow. Could a amp that low damage the Vegas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-23-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 109
So speakers should blow when not turned on at all, right? smile.gif

Obviously they don't blow when turned off, and don't blow when played at low volumes ever. So it's not a matter of blowing due to too little power.

Speakers blow for two reasons.

1) Their mechnical limits are exceeded, and something breaks (this seems rare)
2) You exceed their thermal limits, and something melts

You could for example, easily damage a tweeter by feeding it a continuous square wave or something IF you exceed it's thermal limits. Which is maybe not hard, as they don't handle a lot of power. It would have to be above the crossover so the poor tweeter has to dissapate the full power.

Speakers do have a continuos power handling spec. They can handle that in theory, but it's maybe based on music power and not some abusive signal.

What you might be thinking of, is blowing a speaker by (a) playing it too loud, while (b) running out of power in your amp which is powerful enough to damage the speakers. If you amp only had a half watt of power, it's not going to matter that it's clipping. So you need enough power, and oftenthe damage is because of clipping as that raises the average power that the speaker drivers are exposed too. Google 'why do speakers blow' (And note that there's varying explanations, some of which are probably wrong - here's one guy, an engineer, who is likely correct - http://sound.westhost.com/tweeters.htm)

I did not watch the video, by the way. I thought it was better to just explain the facts of speaker damage (as I understand them smile.gif

"But this one goes up to 11"
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page