Getting a green screen when trying to watch 5.1 channel movies through Amazon on Roku 2 XS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-24-2012, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone here might have some idea what is going wrong with my setup. I have a Roku 2 XS with Amazon Streaming (and Netflix, Hulu, etc). I have the Roku 2 XS going into an HDMI input on my Denon AVR-1913 A/V receiver. Everything works great, except that if I try to watch a 5.1 channel movie, the screen immediately goes to a strong green look. It apppears to me that I am losing all of my blues. What I have determined is that if I set the audio on the Roku to 5.1 channel, and go through the receiver, and try to watch a 5.1 channel movie this happens. If I go from the Roku 2 straight to the TV, the video is fine, but of course I don't get the 5.1 channel audio that way. If I turn off 5.1 channel output on the Roku, everything is fine. If I try to watch a 5.1 channel movie on anything except for Amazon, it works fine. I already tried swapping the Roku 2 XS out, which didn't help. I have tried swapping HDMI cables and inputs on the receiver, and it makes no difference. Once the green screen thing happens, it stays that way, even if I switch to Netflix or something else, until I go to video settings on the Roku and switch it from 1080P to 720P (and then I switch it back to 1080P), or reboot the Roku. If I disconnect the HDMI cable while the movie is running and put it back, it remains green. If I stop the movie, and then disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable, it goes back to regular colors.

Any ideas what the problem might be? I'd really like to be able to have the 5.1 channel audio on the Amazon movies without the screen being green.

Thanks.

Sean Dudley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-24-2012, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Intersting.. just tried hooking up a 1st generation Roku up, and it works perfectly.. seems to be just a problem on the Roku 2 XS.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-24-2012, 04:42 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Seems to be an HDMI handshake issue with the Roku 2 XS. You can try the HDMI HDCP reset procedures listed below.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#user_L11

Also for more info on your 1913, join us in the Denon AVR-XX13 Owner's thread linked in my sig as well as reviewing the FAQ/Setup Guide.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 7 Old 07-25-2012, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the suggestion.. Tried these steps, but it didn't help. I don't think it is a handshake issue since it only happens with Amazon streaming through the Roku and not other sources like Netflix or Hulu, and only with 5.1 channel audio programs with 5.1 channel audio enabled in the Roku 2. I would be interested to know if anyone has the Roku 2 set to 5.1 channel audio, is outputting through a Denon 1913 receiver and is streaming 5.1 channel content from Amazon successfully. Roku said they are elevating this situation to an advanced tech and hopefully they will do some testing and duplicate and fix it.. fingers crossed.

Sean
post #5 of 7 Old 08-07-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Hi Sean,

Any updates from Roku? Strange you have that issue. We have 5 of these units (Roku2 XS) and have no problem streaming from Amazon: HD with 5.1. 4 of the units are connected to Denon AVR's (not your particular model) and have no issues.

Ray

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #6 of 7 Old 08-07-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Chances are your Roku is defective.

They should send you a new unit.

Have you tried rebooting your router?
post #7 of 7 Old 08-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Have you tried a different HDMI cable? Seems silly, but I've read other posts discussing similar issues and they claim that it fixed the problem.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page