Buying the best because dont know better; alternatives? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-24-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm renting a home that has a Bose Acoustimass installed. Im married to it for now. I wanted to get a quality receiver that I could use for this and then have options later.

My problem is that I don't need all these features that will confuse me but I want quality sound, UI and all the connections. Im using Sonos throughout my house and dont need anything fancy like using it for two rooms at once or using it to process streaming services.

Is there a Denon or Onkyo model that is top quality for its basic functions where Im not buying networking and dual receiver room features? Suggestions on the best for a dummy who wants the basics but good basics?

Or is the best sounding Denon the 3113 and I just end up with all the other crap I'll never use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-24-2012, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Bose acoustimass is a standalone theater in a box type arrangement.
It is not meant to connect to standard home theater receivers.

Most speakers are powered by the receiver with the subwoofer powered
with it's own amplifier using a single pin rca cable for the preamp signal.
Bose is different. Your speakers will always hold you back.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-25-2012, 04:15 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 1617
There's no reason to choose the highest model unless you need a feature it offers that is not available on a lower model as the same version of Audyssey MultEQ XT is used on the 2113CI and 2313CI as well as the 1713. Suggest you review the first few posts in the Denon XX12 (last years models) and XX13 model Owner's threads linked in my sig to learn the benefits of each model. Also if you will be using the Bose setup (as opposed to your own stand alone setup) note that the AVR will be unable to detect the Bose Accoustimass module as a separate sub and therefore you would be unable to take advantage of the sub EQ feature of Audyssey as well as would be unable to have independent volume control of the sub. If you won't be adding your own dedicated set of speakers at this point, suggest at the very least adding a dedicated sub that you could then also use in your next home theater setup. Doing so will allow Audyssey to do it's EQ magic on the lower frequencies passed to the dedicated sub via the LFE sub pre-out cable effectively taking the Accostimass module out of the low frequency picture.
DenonOrWhat likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 4 Old 07-25-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

There's no reason to choose the highest model unless you need a feature it offers that is not available on a lower model as the same version of Audyssey MultEQ XT is used on the 2113CI and 2313CI as well as the 1713. Suggest you review the first few posts in the Denon XX12 (last years models) and XX13 model Owner's threads linked in my sig to learn the benefits of each model. Also if you will be using the Bose setup (as opposed to your own stand alone setup) note that the AVR will be unable to detect the Bose Accoustimass module as a separate sub and therefore you would be unable to take advantage of the sub EQ feature of Audyssey as well as would be unable to have independent volume control of the sub. If you won't be adding your own dedicated set of speakers at this point, suggest at the very least adding a dedicated sub that you could then also use in your next home theater setup. Doing so will allow Audyssey to do it's EQ magic on the lower frequencies passed to the dedicated sub via the LFE sub pre-out cable effectively taking the Accostimass module out of the low frequency picture.

Thanks!

I'll check those out! Yea, I didn't really plan to do anything in this room but everything is already there behind the wall. Ill probably add the sub if the cubes pass the first test.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page