Forum Jump: 

Old 07-25-2012, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello folks,

The situation is: friend has a TX-NR709 but no subwoofer yet. I'm flying over to set up his home theater on Saturday. Polk Monitor 70's for L & R, and smaller Polk speakers elsewhere in a 5.1 or possibly 5.1+heights setup. Well, it would be .1 except for the subwoofer lacking.

My question is: what can I expect from this in the short-term? Will the lack of a subwoofer basically suck the amplifier dry in the TX-NR709, as it tries to fill that role with the floor-standing Monitor 70's? What effect will this have on maximum volume level? Will loud/bass-rich parts of the movie trip the receiver over into current-limiting (4ohm resistance?) mode? I'm aware that the calibration process will set the L/R speakers to "Large" when there's no subwoofer, ergo all of the above.

I've never tried such a setup before, as I know the general rule is -- you just do not do this. I need to know what to expect in the short-term. In the medium-term, he will get a subwoofer, and I'll make sure that he knows how to calibrate properly so that when he gets it, he can recalibrate efficaciously.

Thank you for any wisdom you can impart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 10:09 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2115 Post(s)
Liked: 1775
Correct ... the AVR will be limited in max volume level (more so than with a sub); however, the Polk 70's are 8-ohm, 90db efficiency speakers so fairly easy to drive and therefore a max volume level limitation may not impact your friend as most folks listen well below really loud "reference" volumes.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times.