Anyone own a SC-65???? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-27-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I lost my SC-25 to the big lightning bolt in the sky along with a bunch of other electronics.I took a direct hit. Surge protectors couldn't help with this one :-(
Insurance will pay for the replacement model but I could use some feedback on the SC-65.
What can you tell me about it?
Owners only please.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-05-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Ok I bit the bullet and ordered the SC-65 from a bonified dealer for $1150.
My first impressions are as follows;
It seems lighter than the SC-25, may be the power supply differences?
The rear connections are totally different than the SC-25, locations and no longer has the s-video.
I replaced my SC-25 due to a direct lightning hit on my home which toasted most of my electronics.
I connected my 5.1 Premier Acoustic 6 speaker system and plugged in the microphone and it automatically starts MCACC.
I was getting 2 errors on the MCACC, reverse polarity and wrong connections on the sub and rear surround.
So I checked the polarity, checked the sub. I was concerned with the sub due to lightning and the amp on the back of the unit.
Ran MCACC again and the rear surround was still displaying wrong connections, I had them on "A" rear surrond, So to me the labeling on the rear speaker connection for the rear surround is backwards to my thinking and I had this same issue with the SC-25.
I asked Pioneer why they didn't have a wireless WiFi and they said thanks for the imput. It may be due to the RF amp and interference?
It seems to run hotter than the SC-25 in my opinion.
Now the likes;
Its is beautiful.
Front panel controls are easier for use and more options than the SC-25
The setup starts when you plug in the mic.
The internet radio doesn't have the slowness or the bugggy response the SC-25 did.
The audio in surround sound is great.
The video up processing from my Dish 311 reciever to 1080p is awsome. Who needs a HD satellite reciever!
The remote is easier to use and the button descriptions are better than the SC-25.
Streaming internet radio works flawless so far where the SC-25 would stop and you would have to restart it.
The power amp has a higher output than the SC-25.
So far I am very pleased with this purchase.
More to follow.....
post #3 of 12 Old 08-08-2012, 11:50 AM

Thanks AZToolman for your post on the SC-65.

Everyone: I just contacted Rob at Mainstreet Electronics in California and had a nice chat about the Pioneer Elite SC-65 which I wound up buying to replace my decade old Sony Receiver the STR-DA4ES. I hope this is not against any AVS forum rules but their link is http://www.mainstelectronics.com

Rob tells me that current pricing on the Pioneer Elite SC-65 through this Authorized Pioneer Dealer is $1195, the SC-67 is $1495, and the SC-68 is $1995. Rob felt that the quality of the Pioneer Elite SC-65 made it a good choice for me. These prices are "delivered" prices by the way so shipping is included! Years ago I used to get Sony ES products at a fair price from the Oade Brothers. I think Mainstreet Electronics could become my new source for quality A/V equipment.

I've got a major dismantling of my entire system ahead of me since I've never run video through a receiver before but I look forward to having a state-of-the-art A/V Receiver as the new center of my home theater and surround audio system.

SNazz123
post #4 of 12 Old 08-08-2012, 11:11 PM

I have had the pioneer elite sc 65 about 3 weeks and I love it. Its a great receiver and with the host of internet options its sure to please anyone. DOwnload the 2012 app from an iphone or ipad its amazing how the apps transform the receiver.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-09-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 340
+1
I didn't think I would say this redface.gif not being an avid apple user, but several weeks with the SC-68 and the i-phone app - it's addictive & easy!

My wife thinks my programmable remote is too complex; she won't use it. But she could use the i-phone app. And Chris Walker @ Pioneer says the iPad app is even better. With it, you can do everything the remote can do, including drilling down to do all the whole setup and access all features.

Steve
post #6 of 12 Old 08-09-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

+1
I didn't think I would say this redface.gif not being an avid apple user, but several weeks with the SC-68 and the i-phone app - it's addictive & easy!
My wife thinks my programmable remote is too complex; she won't use it. But she could use the i-phone app. And Chris Walker @ Pioneer says the iPad app is even better. With it, you can do everything the remote can do, including drilling down to do all the whole setup and access all features.

A close friend has the iPad app and a 63 I believe and he loves it .
post #7 of 12 Old 08-19-2012, 05:05 PM

May I get a hint as to where you got the SC-65 for $1150?

I called Main Street Electronics and they said 1400. Too much for me! eek.gif[
post #8 of 12 Old 08-19-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snazz123 View Post

Thanks AZToolman for your post on the SC-65.
Everyone: I just contacted Rob at Mainstreet Electronics in California and had a nice chat about the Pioneer Elite SC-65 which I wound up buying to replace my decade old Sony Receiver the STR-DA4ES. I hope this is not against any AVS forum rules but their link is http://www.mainstelectronics.com
Rob tells me that current pricing on the Pioneer Elite SC-65 through this Authorized Pioneer Dealer is $1195, the SC-67 is $1495, and the SC-68 is $1995. Rob felt that the quality of the Pioneer Elite SC-65 made it a good choice for me. These prices are "delivered" prices by the way so shipping is included! Years ago I used to get Sony ES products at a fair price from the Oade Brothers. I think Mainstreet Electronics could become my new source for quality A/V equipment.
I've got a major dismantling of my entire system ahead of me since I've never run video through a receiver before but I look forward to having a state-of-the-art A/V Receiver as the new center of my home theater and surround audio system.
SNazz123

I guess I got one of Rob's (Main Street Electronics) salesmen as he gave me a price of 1400 for the SC-65. Rob was not in. Quite a bit of difference in the price.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-19-2012, 07:13 PM

Markmad -

This is only the first time I've purchased from Main Street Electronics and they treated me right. Why the higher price, I do not know. Rob is the owner. I'd suggest to tell him you saw the pricing here as he told it to me. (I asked him to repeat the models and pricing and I confirmed the accuracy of said prices with him.)

I suppose it is possible that their pricing changed, overnight, but I can only suggest that you try asking for Rob as he seemed interested it doing business with us AVSForum folks.

Good luck! Please let us know how you make out!

SNazz123
post #10 of 12 Old 12-28-2012, 09:45 PM

If anyone is interested I started a new owner's thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1448081/official-pioneer-elite-sc-65-sc1527-k-owners-thread#post_22755973
post #11 of 12 Old 05-25-2013, 06:52 AM

The SC-65 has come a long way from the old SC-25. The Marvel QDEO video scaler really does a great job of improving picture quality. When you use the microphone to do your speaker calibration, be sure you have it set at ear level since this is where you hear the sound so it balances accordingly. Once you have concluded with the MCACC live with it for a few weeks. Then, if you feel you need to tweek, take the remote, hit the receiver button on the right upper side, hit speaker level and adjust a decibel or two your center or rears to get the results you wish. I have a 7.1 setup and on some better blu-rays, they are encoded with DTS HD-MASTER AUDIO 7.1 so you can really get a room filling experience. Pioneer Elite receivers seem to fill the mid range tones the best compared to Denon or Yamaha. Also, depending on your speakers, you can get really awesome woofer and subwoofer room filling sounds to enhance your listening enjoyment. I have had mine now for 6 months and love it.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-09-2014, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

+1

I just installed the SC-65 with the IPad app only. No screen yet. I love it. The internet radio worked flawless and the setup and config was fantastic. Volume control is a perfect representation of the actual volume knob. This was a great buy. BTW, my Kefs sound great.

Pioneer SC-65
KEF, Q5 Front, Q9 Center, Q1 rear, Q800DS
Epson 3020 Projector, 135 in 235.1 screen
OPPO 103D, Apple TV, XBOX 360
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page