post #1171 of 1846 Old 02-18-2013, 04:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipton View Post

Just received the 67 and did initial set-up. It was movie night for the kids so we watched Avengers and it sounded fantastic (Klipsch refs. all around & 2 Hsu VTF-15s). HOWEVER, I played a few CDs in "stereo" and they sounded "flat" or "muffled." I don't have any idea why, because the movie sounded superb. Any advice or tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Try Pure Direct mode and report back.

JVC RS25 Projector

84" 16:9 Da-Lite Matte White Model C Screen

Panasonic TC-P65VT60 Display

Oppo BDP-103 Blu Ray Player

Pioneer Elite SC-67 Receiver

Pioneer SP-FS52 (2), SP-C22 (1), SP-B22 (4) 7.1 Speaker System

Rythmik F12 Subwoofer

Darbee Darblet Video Enhancer

DSpeaker Anti-Mode 8033Cinema...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1846 Old 02-18-2013, 08:49 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknia View Post

Executive summary of my thread over there:
  • I want to use the SC-67 for ALL audio out in Zone 2
  • This implies that I want to be able to have sound from TV in Z2 routed through the SC-67 and out through the speakers in Z2
  • I want to be able to independently pass through any digital source in Z1 to Z2 - audio (through speakers driven by SC-67) AND picture

One of my doubts from reading is, if it is possible to have the digital sources' audio played through the speakers driven by the SC-67, or if it can only be passed through the HDMI cable to the TV in Z2, which to me would be a major disadvantage

Zones 2 and 3 are analog sources only. I don't think you'll find a receiver on the market that's any different. The SC 67/68 are some of the first ones on the market with another HDMI zone. You'll have to figure out how to use the Z4 HDMI if you want all digital sources to another zone. I use it with a 75" HDMI cable to another room. Works great.
post #1173 of 1846 Old 02-18-2013, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the reply, however disheartening it is... frown.gif

Does this also mean, that I can not use optical out on the Kitchen TV to get the sound back out in Z2?

Can I use the analog out on e.g. the cable box for sound and then route the HDMI signal from the Z4 HDMI out to the TV for picture (i guess I'm clutching at straws at this point rolleyes.gif )
post #1174 of 1846 Old 02-18-2013, 02:44 PM

Liked: 11
Hi,
I'm new here. I have an SC-68.

Can someone tell me how to post a question to the SC-68 "official thread" without just making a "reply" top a previous comment?

2a.
One question I have is about "Input Setup" menu. The options seem to be for HDMI, coax, optical, and component. On the back of the SC-68 there are inputs for HDMI, RCA, and only TWO Optical inputs but NO inputs I can see for for coax or component. So, why can you select a coax or component input on the menu when there are no physical coax or component inputs on the back of the SC-68? and,

2b
How can you select on the menu an input for regular composite source (red/black) RCA jacks that so many of my devices have?

Several of my source devices (cable box, DVD) output both HDMI and RCA outputs - but do not output optical or component. As I understand it, I need to input BOTH the HDMI (to provide a source to Z1 and Z4) and also the RCA inputs (to provide an analog source for Z2 and Z4). Do I have this right? If so, how do I select for RCA inputs? and

Thanks
post #1175 of 1846 Old 02-18-2013, 02:56 PM

Hi,

I'm new here, with a new SC-68. We also have an OCTAVA 4x8 matrix (4HDMI with 8HDMI carried over Cat6; with IR).

There are 2 of us in the house and we each want to be able to watch different sources on different TVs at the same time. Sources for the SC-68 include 2 ATT-Cable boxes, two PS3s, an AppleTV, a Media Server, a computer) There are two of us, so we only watch two different sources at one time but we want independent access to each source anywhere in the house.

We have a 5.2 Surround setup in the Living room. We also have 7 other TVs scattered throughout the house (bathrooms, treadmill, offices, etc). These are just 7 TVs with HDMI inputs using built-in speakers (with no external speakers, and no plans to add any).

All the TVs are fed by the SC-68 through the 4x8 Matrix. The Matrix is from OCTAVA and carries HDMI and IR over Cat6. It is working great. The Matrix has 4 HDMI inputs, and 8 outputs. The outputs are to 8 pairs of CAT6. Each pair of Cat6 carries the signal behind walls to different rooms, and each pair of Cat6 terminates with a balun. Each of the 8 baluns has an IR input and an HDMI output.

The SC-68's Z1 and Z4 are input into the Matrix.

The Matrix perfectly distributes the Z4's HDMI signal to any or all of the7 TVs around the house. These are just TVs using built-in speakers, with no external speakers.

The Matrix perfectly distributes Z1's HDMI signal to the Living Room TV. Z1 is currently set up as 5.2, with speakers wired direct to the speaker terminals on the SC-68.

The problem is distributing Z1 to the other 7 TVs around the house. I know I can shut off the speakers in the LR. But I can't seem to get an audio outputs from Z1 and Z4 at the same time. I get different video outputs from Z1 and Z4, but only get audio to one. How can I send both Z4 and Z1 to the other 7 TVs in a way which provides both audio and video over HDMI (with no external speakers)? What am I missing?

Thanks,
post #1176 of 1846 Old 02-19-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglife1 View Post

Hi,
I'm new here. I have an SC-68.

Can someone tell me how to post a question to the SC-68 "official thread" without just making a "reply" top a previous comment?

2a.
One question I have is about "Input Setup" menu. The options seem to be for HDMI, coax, optical, and component. On the back of the SC-68 there are inputs for HDMI, RCA, and only TWO Optical inputs but NO inputs I can see for for coax or component. So, why can you select a coax or component input on the menu when there are no physical coax or component inputs on the back of the SC-68? and,

2b
How can you select on the menu an input for regular composite source (red/black) RCA jacks that so many of my devices have?

Several of my source devices (cable box, DVD) output both HDMI and RCA outputs - but do not output optical or component. As I understand it, I need to input BOTH the HDMI (to provide a source to Z1 and Z4) and also the RCA inputs (to provide an analog source for Z2 and Z4). Do I have this right? If so, how do I select for RCA inputs? and

Thanks

I am not sure if I understand what you are trying to achieve and I don't use multi-zones so can't help there. But if you look at the back for sc-68, you will find 3 sets of components input on the top left and 2 coax input next to 2 optical input towards the right under HDMI OUT 1 and OUT 2. However, even your DVD or cable box may have HDMI, RCA and/or component output all available, chances are that they only output to one interface at any time. It means that you choose to connect to either RCA or HDMI (or component) but not both.

If you look closer to those input on the back of sc-68, for example, the IN1 component is marked for DVD and the IN1 coax is also marked for DVD, and there is one set of RCA which is marked for DVD as well. That means you can only choose one format to connect to your DVD device and you shouldn't connect them all at the same time. Your DVD probably won't support multiple output at the same time and sc-68 probably won't take multiple input from the same device at the same time. Although, I am not sure what will happen to you DVD and sc-68 if you do connect them all together at the same time. I wouldn't recommend that as it's not designed to operate in that way for any device as far as I know.

edit: As a matter of fact, you will find HDMI IN1 is also marked for DVD. It means that you can choose either HDMI, component, RCA or coax, to connect to your DVD but choose only one out of the four. HDMI, component, coax and optical inputs are all "assignable" if you want to map them differently but that still won't help you.
post #1177 of 1846 Old 02-19-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglife1 View Post

Hi,

How can I send both Z4 and Z1 to the other 7 TVs in a way which provides both audio and video over HDMI (with no external speakers)? What am I missing?

Thanks,

By default, sc-68 deliver audio to speakers that are directly connected to sc-68. If you want audio to the TV speakers through HDMI, you need to set the HDMI parameters to THROUGH (page 74 of the manual).
post #1178 of 1846 Old 02-20-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtheatre View Post

Try Pure Direct mode and report back.

Funny story...the jumpers connecting the two sets of binding posts fell off. During the movie w/ all speakers being driven it was harder to tell. In stereo it was much more obvious that something was wrong. I didn't even think about checking the jumpers... All is well now and it sounds fantastic. The SC-67 replaced an Onkyo 707 that died. The sound difference to my ears is dramatic.
post #1179 of 1846 Old 02-20-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

Funny story...the jumpers connecting the two sets of binding posts fell off. During the movie w/ all speakers being driven it was harder to tell. In stereo it was much more obvious that something was wrong. I didn't even think about checking the jumpers... All is well now and it sounds fantastic. The SC-67 replaced an Onkyo 707 that died. The sound difference to my ears is dramatic.
I am glad you got it solved because the one thing I noticed with clients was how well it sounded with music.
post #1180 of 1846 Old 02-20-2013, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Lol. Well, I'm glad you discovered the problem. I have had nothing but fantastic experiences with this receiver musically speaking. I listen to a lot of classic rock, and I am currently buying up HDTracks versions of all my favorites. Last week was Santana's "Abraxas". Sounds amazing with SC-67/Oppo BDP-103 combo (wireless streaming). First time in years that I just sit back, and enjoy the music.

JVC RS25 Projector

84" 16:9 Da-Lite Matte White Model C Screen

Panasonic TC-P65VT60 Display

Oppo BDP-103 Blu Ray Player

Pioneer Elite SC-67 Receiver

Pioneer SP-FS52 (2), SP-C22 (1), SP-B22 (4) 7.1 Speaker System

Rythmik F12 Subwoofer

Darbee Darblet Video Enhancer

DSpeaker Anti-Mode 8033Cinema...

post #1181 of 1846 Old 02-21-2013, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
My Sc-67 is HERE! Yayyyyy! Can't wait to set it up tonight.
post #1182 of 1846 Old 02-21-2013, 07:23 PM

I am trying to purchase SC-68 but not able to find anywhere in this area (Central Jersey) at least for demo. BestBuy is not carrying (they only carry upto SC-67). I am trying to talk to some dealers from NY and PA right now. In the mean time could anyone please provide answers to the following questions?

1) Currently I have Denon 3808 as my receiver. Recently, I got KEF Q900 speakers and Q600C (replaced the iQ90). I use KEF Q800DS (Di-pole) as my surround and SVS PC12-NSD as my sub. Could anyone please share the experience of pairing KEF with Pioneer Elite?

2) I have read that the class D amps sounds differently, how different it is? For a decent speaker like KEF Q900, how does the class D amps differ (whether it is more bright or sort of laid back?)

3) I am not familiar with Pioneer's room correction system. Is that as good as the Audyssey in Denon models?

-Nivedita
post #1183 of 1846 Old 02-21-2013, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsee0 View Post

I am trying to purchase SC-68 but not able to find anywhere in this area (Central Jersey) at least for demo. BestBuy is not carrying (they only carry upto SC-67). I am trying to talk to some dealers from NY and PA right now. In the mean time could anyone please provide answers to the following questions?

1) Currently I have Denon 3808 as my receiver. Recently, I got KEF Q900 speakers and Q600C (replaced the iQ90). I use KEF Q800DS (Di-pole) as my surround and SVS PC12-NSD as my sub. Could anyone please share the experience of pairing KEF with Pioneer Elite?

2) I have read that the class D amps sounds differently, how different it is? For a decent speaker like KEF Q900, how does the class D amps differ (whether it is more bright or sort of laid back?)

3) I am not familiar with Pioneer's room correction system. Is that as good as the Audyssey in Denon models?

-Nivedita
One of our clients has the SC-57 paired with the 205 KEF's and I was impressed with the audio especially the classical and yes the amps handled the speakers quite well at a high volume I might add.
The room correction is user preference some believe Audyssey is the champ those are no longer my beliefs since hearing the SC-57/67.
post #1184 of 1846 Old 02-22-2013, 04:24 AM

I fired up my 67 last night. My word. I haven't set it up yet, but I did listen to music last night. Soooo much better than my old Denon for 2 channel and SACD. The midrange is the best I have heard on a receiver, and the bass? Wow!
post #1185 of 1846 Old 02-22-2013, 05:53 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by emsee0 View Post

-Nivedita

I have my sc-67 connected to a pair of 104/2 KEF's. I've previoulsy used them with a yamaha and a denon. After 3 months with the new combo, I'm extremely happy with the sound and the performance. I use the system primarily for my HT (the center/surround speakers are B&W), but also use it for pure stereo listening with CD's/music and the sound is great. I also read reviews about the D amps before buying, and the difference to my ears is improved clarity and separation with the elite over the yamaha and denon, but in a very positive way - not too harsh. Also, the ability to calibrate the system with MCACC in the pioneer for HT surround makes for an amazing and customizable experience. I haven't used Audyssey so I can't compare.

Good luck
post #1186 of 1846 Old 02-22-2013, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to get this over this weekend.
post #1187 of 1846 Old 02-23-2013, 06:54 AM

Lots of fun setting up the receiver yesterday. There certainly is a learning curve. Two questions however. Playing SACD discs the receiver converts DSD to PCM. Anyway to leave the signal as DSD? Not really a complaint. It sounds fantastic with SACD's.

Also, why do DTS Masters discs show up as PCM
post #1188 of 1846 Old 02-23-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalline View Post

Lots of fun setting up the receiver yesterday. There certainly is a learning curve. Two questions however. Playing SACD discs the receiver converts DSD to PCM. Anyway to leave the signal as DSD? Not really a complaint. It sounds fantastic with SACD's.

Also, why do DTS Masters discs show up as PCM
Look in the menu of your BP and see if you have it set to bitstream sounds like its set to PCM on HDMI audio .
post #1189 of 1846 Old 02-23-2013, 09:27 AM

Awesome Oz, you nailed it. Thanks!
post #1190 of 1846 Old 02-23-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

You are welcome.
post #1191 of 1846 Old 02-23-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 239
just checking in smile.gif haven't had the time the last 2 weeks for much forum checking. glad to read folks are doing OK, will be busy on a work project for next week or so...I'll be back wink.gif

Steve
post #1192 of 1846 Old 02-23-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

just checking in smile.gif haven't had the time the last 2 weeks for much forum checking. glad to read folks are doing OK, will be busy on a work project for next week or so...I'll be back wink.gif

So..,,anyone know if there's an SC-7x series on the way around Labor Day? biggrin.gif

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

post #1193 of 1846 Old 02-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 49
With Super Steve going invisable and Chris - ccotenj - announcing he is leaving the audio addiction eek.gif, we end up left unsupervised and without leadership!!!
Oh what kind of trouble can we get into now??
wink.gif
post #1194 of 1846 Old 02-23-2013, 10:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post

With Super Steve going invisable and Chris - ccotenj - announcing he is leaving the audio addiction eek.gif, we end up left unsupervised and without leadership!!!
Oh what kind of trouble can we get into now??
wink.gif

Where's Purdyd? BTW, at least Steve says he'll back.

I would help but I traded in my SC-57 for a Denon 4311 and Audyssey Pro last spring. Blame Chris for luring me to the Dark Side, as he did so many others tongue.gif

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

post #1195 of 1846 Old 02-24-2013, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

So..,,anyone know if there's an SC-7x series on the way around Labor Day? biggrin.gif

maybe, probably, not likely...just have to wait & find out wink.gif

and I'm not leaving...just have to take ~ a week or 2 off the forum to give all attention to something else tongue.gifwink.gif

Steve
post #1196 of 1846 Old 02-24-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtheatre View Post

Lol. Well, I'm glad you discovered the problem. I have had nothing but fantastic experiences with this receiver musically speaking. I listen to a lot of classic rock, and I am currently buying up HDTracks versions of all my favorites. Last week was Santana's "Abraxas". Sounds amazing with SC-67/Oppo BDP-103 combo (wireless streaming). First time in years that I just sit back, and enjoy the music.

Thanks, dreamtheatre...

You are absolutely right about the music. I bought a few new blu ray concerts (e.g., The Killers at Royal Albert Hall) and have never heard such clarity. I even bought a blu ray of an Adele concert (Royal Albert Hall again) for my wife and listened to it for few minutes and it sounded so good, I even stayed a listened for a few minutes, just to enjoy the ability of the 67.

Santana is one of my favorites so I look forward to playing him as well. Did you stream Abraxas through your Oppo or through the SC-67? I used a Netgear wireless adapter for the SC-67 and it worked perfectly. It was much easier to set that up and update the 67 than I thought possible. I have yet to stream any music through the system though.

On another note, I've read so many superlative reviews & comments about the Oppos, I am close to giving away my current Panasonic blu ray and buy the 103. However, the panasonic does a great job so I may wait. How much of a difference does the Oppo really make compared to a "normal" blu ray player, especially if you use the 67's DACs?
post #1197 of 1846 Old 02-24-2013, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

You are talking about jumpers on the speakers and not jumpers on the receiver, right?
post #1198 of 1846 Old 02-24-2013, 02:50 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

maybe, probably, not likely...just have to wait & find out wink.gif

and I'm not leaving...just have to take ~ a week or 2 off the forum to give all attention to something else tongue.gifwink.gif

With pioneer spinning off their av division it might be a while until we see a new line
post #1199 of 1846 Old 02-24-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod2750 View Post

With pioneer spinning off their av division it might be a while until we see a new line
I read that but their AVR's have always sold well so they might keep that I can see the DJ and car audio maybe going since new cars finally come with better stereos.
post #1200 of 1846 Old 02-24-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

I read that but their AVR's have always sold well so they might keep that I can see the DJ and car audio maybe going since new cars finally come with better stereos.

At least from this story, it sounds like this is a positive for future product planning:
http://www.twice.com/articletype/news/pioneer-home-av-sees-flexibility-new-subsidiary-status/105062

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Elite Sc 67 9 2 Channel Thx Select 2 Plus A V Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc 68 9 2 Channel Thx Ultra 2 Plus A V Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page