Official Pioneer SC-68/67 Thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 1846 Old 03-15-2013, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rob_63 and ss9001--
Thanks for the responses. I'm aware of the class D design of the amplifiers in the SC-68 - and I realize they are much more efficient than class AB used in older receivers like the VSX-49tx. Where my confusion lies is understanding how it is possible for a receiver to emit more total watts to the speakers, than the total wattage consumed from the AC outlet? I am aware of the measured lab results on the SC-68, so I'll have to research class D a bit more to understand how this is possible. I suspect that the method used to measure the unit's output power (RMS watts) is not directly comparable to the wattage consumed by the unit's power supply.

Some time ago, I considered the SC-09 as a replacement for my VSX-49tx, but passed on it due to price. Later, I considered the SC-57 as a possible replacement, but passed on it because I read that it could not decode the WMA lossless audio format - which is the lossless format I've been using. The SC-68 will decode WMA lossless, so that was a strong draw for me.

Once I solve the time delay issue between the SC-68 main zone, and zone 2 - I'm sure I'll be very happy with the SC-68.

Regards,
Michael Bishop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1846 Old 03-15-2013, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerJohn View Post

For those who dislike the Difficult to use Pioneer remote, which in my opinion totally blows, try the iControlAV app.
Doesn't help with initial set up, but is great for use when in operation.
Easily switches between sources, listening modes etc.

+1 totally agree. that was one of the 1st things I noticed when I 1st got the SC-68 & was comparing to the SC-09. EZ receiver control has come a long way! I never thought I'd say this about what I once viewed as "gimmicky" but using the i-app was deceptively fun & EZ to use. I wouldn't want to be without it now redface.gif

Steve
post #1263 of 1846 Old 03-15-2013, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Anyone have a good sense of amp performance driving 5 or 7 channels on 4 ohm speakers rated for 125 or 150 watts with the 67? I'm debating between the Pio or Emotiva separates. Have had a 49txi and SC-27 in the past and liked them. Lots of pros and cons though between the Pio vs Emotiva setup.
post #1264 of 1846 Old 03-15-2013, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to use the optical out from a Squeezebox(assigned to Opt 1) to play in Zone 2 and 3. Do I have to use an analog output for this to work in Zone 2 and 3? Thanks for the help.
post #1265 of 1846 Old 03-15-2013, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^
yes, need to connect analog...no receiver, past or present switches digital connections into multizones. you could get an ext switcher from monoprice, hdtvsupply, etc to switch 1 source to 2 but probably just as EZ to get out the analogs wink.gif

check the manual pg 37-38 & 79

however, if you are using the receiver's B speaker terminals to use the receiver to power a 2nd set of speakers in another room, that is just using a pair of amps for a set of stereo speakers, and not the multizone features so this will work with digital connections. but when you put the receiver into multizone mode (page 79) by remote or front panel, this does require the use of analog connections. you might as well connect both analog & digital since you want audio in main room & 2 other rooms since B speakers can only be in 1 room.

I think you'll find it will work then. in putting the receiver into multizone use (pg 79), and you have both digital & analog connections on the squeezebox, you may have to use the audio signal select button on the remote to change the audio input from Auto or Digital to Analog. if it's in Auto, the receiver will select Digital inputs over Analog & you may not get the audio to come thru. the priority of signal selection in Auto is HDMI > Digital > Analog. so you can use the button to deliberately tell the receiver which audio signals to use for that specific input.

Steve
post #1266 of 1846 Old 03-15-2013, 11:57 AM

Great suggestions and it allowed me to focus further to understand how I can experience 9.1. Here's what I've determined:

I disconnected the FW (physically disconnected the speakers from the SC-67), I switched the SP to FH ON.

I went into setup and turned off the FW speaker settings. I confirmed that all remaining speakers have Yes, distances, delays, levels and EQ.

I'm using either Neo X or Dolby PLIIz +THX CN.

For Neo X CN +THX:
SP set to FH ON
The following channels are active per iControlAV: FH, L, C, R, SW, SR, SL.
No SB channel
If I switch SP to FW ON, then SB is active, heights are off (but to be clear, there are no FW attached).

For Dolby PLIIz + THX CN:
SP set to FH ON
No SB channel
If I switch SP to FW ON, then SB is active, heights are off (again no FW attached).

I then reconnected the FW speakers per my original installation and made sure FW was turned ON in setup.

For Neo X CN +THX:
SP set to FW ON
The following channels are active per iControlAV: FW, L, C, R, SW, SR, SL.
SB channel is not on
I can't get SB active in this audio mode
I can only get 7.1

For Dolby PLIIx + THX:
SP set to FW ON
The following channels are active per iControlAV: L, C, R, SW, SR, SL, SB.
SB channel is on.
I can only get 7.1

For Dolby PLIIz + THX CN:
SP set to FH ON
No SB channel
I can only get 7.1

It appears to me that SB can only be active when heights and wides are not active. And thus I can't get 9.1, regardless of my audio modes.

I know that all my speakers are connected and Setup confirms they are on. It seems that my problem has something to do with getting the SB channel to work. The FH vs FW appears to be working as they should (either or) with PLIIz.

Any other suggestions? Should I be in a different audio mode?
post #1267 of 1846 Old 03-15-2013, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Direct TV signal suddenly showing up as a stereo signal rather than as a Dolby Digital signal through HDMI on my SC-67. It suddenly changed a few days ago. The direct TV box is still set up correctly to output a DD 5.1 signal. Is this a receiver issue? I still get a 5.1 signal from the Oppo.
post #1268 of 1846 Old 03-16-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalline View Post

Direct TV signal suddenly showing up as a stereo signal rather than as a Dolby Digital signal through HDMI on my SC-67. It suddenly changed a few days ago. The direct TV box is still set up correctly to output a DD 5.1 signal. Is this a receiver issue? I still get a 5.1 signal from the Oppo.
It can be that the particular channel you are tuned to, like CNN, is broadcast in stereo. Check 229, HDTV. That is DD all day.
post #1269 of 1846 Old 03-16-2013, 05:24 PM

Liked: 11
Dear SS9001,
"you should be getting 9.1 simultaneously from 5.1 sources,"
Thanks for your check list.biggrin.gif
I'm getting full surround now.

I had thought that the surround effect would have been more noticable on many movies, but as you point out its not.

A very good movie for surround effects is Gosford Park. For testing over Apple TV and ATT It has the advantage of being available on Netflix, which streams 5.1

ATT Cable box users to be aware of is the cable box has a setting for stereo/surround.
post #1270 of 1846 Old 03-17-2013, 07:25 AM

Hi,

I intend to get the SC-67.
My system has all Def Tech speakers (7) and 1 pair of Magnepan which I want to use as rear high, an Emotiva UPA-7, and a pair of PC-12NSD subs.

Should I connect the Magnepans to the amp or the SC-67?

Also what's the best cheapest and safest place to purchase it?

Thanks a lot for the feedback.
post #1271 of 1846 Old 03-17-2013, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 49
The catch to purchasing the Elite series receivers is that ALL Internet shipped orders do not qualify for the factory warantee. Ordering through Amazon or anywhere else will be no factory warantee. Some have had success using online prices and getting Best Buy to match but most stores won't let that happen. In my 40 years experience purchasing Pioneer electronics is zero failures or repairs needed - not that that is everyone's experience. My last Elite was purchased online as I was unaware of the warrantee issue and worked out fine.

Sure wish Pioneer would adopt the Denon sales idea and have authorized on-line dealers for those of us who live in areas with no physical stores so no chance of making a purchase.
post #1272 of 1846 Old 03-17-2013, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwild1 View Post

Hi,

My system has all Def Tech speakers (7) and 1 pair of Magnepan which I want to use as rear high, an Emotiva UPA-7, and a pair of PC-12NSD subs.

which model of Magnepan will suggest which approach to take. for rear highs? unless its the MC1 or MC2 wall panels, not sure what or how you mean for rear highs confused.gif normal or horizontal mounting?

and rear channel sound is so subtle & so much less robust than main channels, you could connect them to the SC-67 and not skip a beat. what Xover do you intend to use because some on the maggies (wall mount MMG's, CC5, CCR centers, MC2) are very bass limited speakers, only going to 160 to 200 Hz. the MC1 & CC3's, on the other hand, were capable of getting close to ~80hz. you only have 1 global Xover with Pioneer so speaker matching becomes more critical. I've been a maggie owner since 1982 and current speakers are still maggies, but in your case, you may want to look at DT's for your rears also. Also, IME, some of the lower model DT's don't mesh the best with maggies, big tonal difference.

safest & cheapest? an authorized dealer. if you are a careful shopper you should be able to snag a decent discount and the unauthorized internet sellers will offer no real $$ advantage. if you shop wisely & negotiate...15-22% off is not uncommon wink.gif

you may want to call Value Electronics in Scarsdale, NY for a price, depending on where you're located & whether he can or (ahem) will sell in your area wink.gif) - Robert Zohn has taken very good care of many forum members over the years. but it's up to him wink.gif

Steve
post #1273 of 1846 Old 03-17-2013, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

It can be that the particular channel you are tuned to, like CNN, is broadcast in stereo. Check 229, HDTV. That is DD all day.

Nope, figured it out. I was running off zone 4. Don't ask. smile.gif Now works just fine with zone 4 off. Thank you, Roger.
post #1274 of 1846 Old 03-17-2013, 08:41 PM

Purchased mine on ebay. Saved 40% from list. I knew that I would not get a factory warranty, but the big savings meant more. I purchased my previous AVR online as well, and never had any issues.

edit:

I should clarify that the 40% was based on buying locally at full list ($2000) and paying local sales tax.
post #1275 of 1846 Old 03-18-2013, 03:06 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.
I will explore the internet sites.

I bought the extra Magnepans on a whim. I believe it is the model MMG.
I realize that it may not mesh well with all Def Tech but would like to try.

Thanks again.
post #1276 of 1846 Old 03-18-2013, 05:53 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwild1 View Post

Hi,

I used the internet to find the best price and then went into Best Buy with the information. This was about 6 months ago when they were still waffling around on their price match policy with online retailers. Since then they've become more deliberate in matching. I've also been successful with the same approach purchasing my Panasonic VT50.

I'd try them first - if they refuse to match you can always order on line.
post #1277 of 1846 Old 03-20-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bishop View Post

But now I have a new problem, which is the fact that Zone 2 audio is out of sync with the main zone. Zone 2 runs about 1/4 of a second ahead of the main zone - even if the main zone is playing from an analog source. The most typical use-case is playing stereo music in the main zone to 7.1 speakers (using listening mode: ext. stereo), and then distributing the analog audio via Zone 2 to other rooms that just play 2-channel stereo.

For anyone interested, I found a solution for the audio sync issue I was having with the SC-68 in zone 2. However, it's a bit expensive to fix:

http://www.motron.com/product_info.php/products_id/133?osCsid=lke6ho0rim1urot1a7mi9ds9j1

After listening to some speech through the main zone and zone 2 simultaneously - I narrowed the delay needed for zone 2 to about 15 milliseconds. Not much correction - but without it, there's a noticeable echo between the 2 zones - which is especially noticeable on percussion instruments. If you're having this problem, this solution may work for you.

Regards,
Michael Bishop

Regards,
Michael Bishop
post #1278 of 1846 Old 03-21-2013, 11:20 AM

Has anyone hooked up a turntable to the sc 68 and have any thoughts on how good the phono preamp is? I'm wondering if I should go with the built in preamp or invest in a standalone solution. Thanks.
post #1279 of 1846 Old 03-22-2013, 11:22 AM

Just hooked up my 1973 Pioneer PL-45D turntable to my new SC 67 it has fantastic sound and more than enough power. Driving my KEF Reference 105/3. Learning curve but so impressed with this receiver. Returned SC-65 because no phono input. Did not want to add phono preamp. Now happy I made the exchange.
post #1280 of 1846 Old 03-22-2013, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I haven't used the phono input as I have a dedicated tube pre from Audio Research smile.gif so I can't comment.

that said, I fully expect it to be as good or better as anything available on a receiver. since you can spend < $50 to thousands of $ on phono preamps it's hard to draw conclusions on the 68's vs a separate pre wink.gif

Jarrod, my advice is try it & hear for yourself smile.gif

and Rgbritt, glad you made the upgrade. I've read a number of posts over last few months where people bought the "wrong" model for their needs so it's not uncommon.

I strongly urge everyone receiver shopping, no matter which brand, to look past the prices to make sure what they think they want will actually do the things they want smile.gif for a few dollars difference, it can save frustration & disappointment.

Steve
post #1281 of 1846 Old 03-22-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

I haven't used the phono input as I have a dedicated tube pre from Audio Research smile.gif so I can't comment.

that said, I fully expect it to be as good or better as anything available on a receiver. since you can spend < $50 to thousands of $ on phono preamps it's hard to draw conclusions on the 68's vs a separate pre wink.gif

Jarrod, my advice is try it & hear for yourself smile.gif

and Rgbritt, glad you made the upgrade. I've read a number of posts over last few months where people bought the "wrong" model for their needs so it's not uncommon.

I strongly urge everyone receiver shopping, no matter which brand, to look past the prices to make sure what they think they want will actually do the things they want smile.gif for a few dollars difference, it can save frustration & disappointment.

Thanks. I have to make some more room in my stack of components to be able to plug my turntable directly into the sc 68. I've upgraded my turntable a few times, and I'm currently using a Pioneer PL1000A with a Denon dl160 cartridge. I truly enjoy this table, and the sc68 is a great avr. I upgraded from a pio 94 and prior to that I had a Yamaha RX v1!
post #1282 of 1846 Old 03-22-2013, 02:28 PM

Liked: 11
Setting up a second zone for the first time.
Not sure which is the best way to do this.
Main listening area 5.1 used for home theater & serious music enjoyment.
SC-67 used here.

2nd area adjoins the main.
Pool table, exercise equipment, game table.
Casual music and TV use.
I have an HDMI capable Onkyo receiver, blue ray player, stereo speakers and wall mount TV available.
Most of the time I will use those components independent of the Main equipment.

However, Sometimes I will want to have the Same video and audio sent to the adjoining room for video and music.
I'll need about 25 feet of cable run between the Main receiver (SC-67) and the Onkyo.
HDMI 4 would seem best but if I understand this right, does not pass thru Pandora or airplay.
Is that right. That's 2 of the most common sources I would use in this case.
Zone 2 analog and component requires so many long cables but if that's best....

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
post #1283 of 1846 Old 03-22-2013, 03:50 PM

Hello All,

I will introduce myself in a second, but going straight to the point, I am looking for BDP to pair with LX 86 (European model of SC68).
Would FD-62 do justice to SC68? FD-62 (called in Europe BDP-450) is merely a transport, but I figure out with SC68 this can be all you need, especially with PQLS?

The cost where I live is 300 $. FD-53/LX-55 is 400 $, so the difference is nothing, but I am afraid of LX-55 in terms of bugs - I did not hear a single good opinion on reliability. Plus, the analog outputs of LX-55 will not make it either.

Alternative would be Cambridge Audio 751 BD, which in Europe is quite popular and in my view is the most serious competitor to Oppo 95 (or 105 now). Cambridge Audio 751, which is now making its place for 752 and instead of costing 1800 $ can be bought for 1100$ (again - this is Europe - so things are more expensive here).
But the question is - will I ever use it on analog? Or even for stereo music I will be bettter off / equal using PQLS mode of FD62?

HUGE TX for any advice.

Kris
post #1284 of 1846 Old 03-22-2013, 04:17 PM

Hi Again,

And here is my intro and a few comments on LX-86 / SC68. :-)

Since 2003 I own vsx-d2011 (45tx in USA) and I was quite happy with it.
I used it for years with Pioneer 757 DVD (the first SACD / DVD Audio universal machine). It has been a fabulous duo, but 757 died 2 years ago.
So I brought Oppo-95. Marvelous. Wonderful. Speakers are Monitor Audio Gold GS-60 on the front and GS-10 monitors on the back, in quadrophonic setup.

As an impulse I bought SC 68 at good price (for Europe). And I have to say it is a HUGE stepchange vs. 45tx.

You can ask, why not pair SC 68 with Oppo-95 simply.
It is because I also need a second set-up for my bedroom. This will be 2.0. And it will be powered by Yamaha S-2000 stereo amplifer.
Could also be 45tx, but Yamaha is better in my view for stereo. Currently it plays with some old B&W floor standing speakers, but I also ordered Monitor Audion GX-300. So I will play with Monitor Audio to see which one to use where plus probably I will order a center as well. Living rooom will be 5.0. Bedroom will be 2.0.
I have no intention to buy the sub. GS60 and/or GX300 do not need a sub for music, while I am not really into bass throwing me against the wall.

Today Yamaha is playing with Cambridge Audio Dac Magic Plus and Acer Laptop, and it works just fine.
But is rather inconvenient plus Acer cannot play Blu-ray. And I need Dac Magic Plus at work as a DAC+Headphones Amplifer.
And I am a "disc spinner" as some of you said before :-)

So I figured out I would pair Yamaha with Oppo-95 and buy FD-62 for Pioneer SC68, assuming this would deliver the performance equal to Acer connected to USB DAC.

I will close my post by saying, I am blown away with quality of music when you connect Acer to USB dac in SC-68. At first I thought it is a disaster, but when I did the drivers right, it is blowing me away. Also with DVD (video played directly via HDMI to TV), connected in 2.0 mode to USB DAC.
So I am hoping FD-62 would deliver the same and I would not have to invest into something more expensive, that woud have decent analog connection.

However, for Oppo-95 paired with SC 68 , I prefer stereo music on analog, ratehr than HDMI. But there is no PQLS, which I believe can be the reason?

For note, I dont consider buying Oppo, because I already have one. And 105 adds nothing to 95 in the area of analog audio.
So if buying something trully powerful, I would rather try Cambridge Audio (EISA is not a reason, but another proof of performance for 751). Plus 751 is relatively well priced now.

Huge TX for help guys!

Kris
post #1285 of 1846 Old 03-24-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerJohn View Post

However, Sometimes I will want to have the Same video and audio sent to the adjoining room for video and music.
I'll need about 25 feet of cable run between the Main receiver (SC-67) and the Onkyo.
HDMI 4 would seem best but if I understand this right, does not pass thru Pandora or airplay.
Is that right. That's 2 of the most common sources I would use in this case.
Zone 2 analog and component requires so many long cables but if that's best....

Suggestions appreciated.

TracerJohn--
If you look on page 37 of the SC-67/68 user manual, it says that the HDMI Zone 4 only outputs sources for BD, DVD, SAT/CBL, DVR/BDR, VIDEO, HDMI5/MHL. Useful, but not a very complete set of sources available in Zone 4. Unless you absolutely require HDMI in the second room, I think you may find Zone 2 to be more flexible. Zone 2 will not output HDMI, but it does include DVD, SAT/CBL, DVR/BDR, VIDEO, TV, CD, TUNER, PANDORA, FAVORITES, INTERNET RADIO, USB-DAC, iPod/USB, SiriusXM, ADAPTER PORT, and MEDIA SERVER, and serves video on composite and component.

While Zone 2 is more flexible, and supports more sources than Zone 4, it does require running multiple cables. You may also need to delay the audio, as I did - if you want it to sync properly with the Main Zone when running the same source in both the Main Zone and Zone 2. (See previous posting on this subject.)

Regards,
Michael Bishop
post #1286 of 1846 Old 03-24-2013, 12:32 PM

I've previously posted my setup and received some suggestions but I continue to be frustrated that I can't get 9.1 channels simultaneously regardless of source content or audio settings. Currently, I can only get 7.1 regardless of what I do.

To recap:

• SC-67
  • Installed SW1, L, C, R, FHL, FHR, FWL, FWR, SL, SR, SB (single)
  • Ran MCACC with 9.1 FH/FW
  • All speakers connected and individually working (verified via test tones)
  • I've tried Speaker settings in the various modes: FH/FW ON, FH ON, FW ON

I'm using iControlAV to monitor input/output. It correctly reports my speaker setup, but only shows 7.1 output regardless of audio settings or source content. I understand that I have to choose between FH vs FW. I believe I've isolated the issue to the SB channel not working while FH or FW is on. If those channels are off, SB will work. I don't understand why SB will not work in conjunction with either FW or FW.

SW1, L, C, R, SL, SR consistently work as expected.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what audio setting my SC-67 should be in and what source content (a movie on Bluray or AppleTV?) will give me 9.1?

Thanks for any suggestions!

david
post #1287 of 1846 Old 03-24-2013, 02:31 PM

Hi Guys,

I just thought that maybe I ask my question in a more general way :-)

Has anyone tried SC-68/67/57 with PQLS with 62FD or 52FD or 53FD?
How does this compare with any of the Oppos on HDMI? Or with any more sophisticated players on HDMI?

Any comparison to analog outputs of Oppo or any other more sophisticated BD players (or CDs)?
And finally, any comparison to USB DAC on SC-68?

As you see I ask for sound most of all - because I listen to music 80% of time, but this 20% is why I need BDP.
Let me say, picture quality is important, but I think with Samsung ES8080 plasma there should not be such a difference and I would say here Pioneer should be just fine.
It is a very decent plasma, but not high end at all.

Huge TX for any feedback.

:-)

Kris
post #1288 of 1846 Old 03-24-2013, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddf200 View Post

Does anyone have any suggestions on what audio setting my SC-67 should be in and what source content (a movie on Bluray or AppleTV?) will give me 9.1?

the only surround processing that will derive (there is NO native encoded 9.1 content, the BD specs do not support 9.1 discrete channels) are Dolby ProLogic IIz and dts NeoX. that's it. even the 3 Blu-rays that are enchanced for NeoX (Dredd, Expendables 2, and 1 other forgettable title wink.gif) have matrixed height and/or wides and require NeoX to decode them.

you can derive heights/wides from any 5.1/7.1, possibly some 2 ch content, the input source is irrelevant.

if you're the person who can't get rears & heights at the same time, I did review all the settings I can think of that you needed. You may still have a setup, connection problem or your receiver is defective. because these receivers are fully capable of doing rear channels & height channels at the same time. as long as your rear speakers are connected correctly, you have selected 9.1 as the speaker setup, do not use B speakers in another room, MCACC sent test tones to both sets of speakers, both are set to Yes in the MCACC speaker setup, and using the remote speaker selector button, set it to FH/FW or FH On, then it should work. if it's not & you are 100% sure you have done the right things & connected it correctly, then contact your dealer for help, call Pioneer for help or return the receiver for a new one.

it works for me, in fact I just listened to a 5.1 dvd this afternoon with PLIIz and got heights + rears.

the only non-standard connection I can see is a single SB. usually, they tell you to connect a single back speaker to the left channel but I really don't know if it makes a difference. if you connected it to the rear right, try moving to the left.

I know you are frustrated & disappointed, but I really can't think of anything else for you to try. It has to work. but the sound from these channels can be very subtle, almost inaudible at times, so make sure you aren't confusing very low sound output with "not working". remember, heights are derived. most of the time you can't tell they are producing any sound at all - it really does depend on the soundtrack. a good one I found, not everyone's cup to T, is Quarantine. it has helicopter sounds going round a building and height speakers does elevate the sound above the plane of the front speakers. any track with rain, storm sounds, etc will also work. most of the time, height speakers just add to the sense of ambience coming from the front. so it will be very subtle....you may be getting rears & heights and not just realize it wink.gif

if someone else can think of more things for you to check. please post. but this isn't that hard, so you just may have a defective receiver or some connection/setup problem.

Steve
post #1289 of 1846 Old 03-24-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

"I believe I've isolated the issue to the SB channel not working while FH or FW is on. If those channels are off, SB will work. I don't understand why SB will not work in conjunction with either FW or FW "

well, there is 1 other thought...

since you've connected 11 speakers, if both are set to Yes in the MCACC speaker settings at the same time, that may be telling the receiver to shut off the rears, regardless of what speaker selector setting you used.

try turning one set of them to No in the MCACC setup. that way, the receiver thinks it's only got FW or FH and not both. try turning wides to No, then speaker selector to FW/FH On, and PLIIz then play something & see if you get rears & hts now.

that just occurred to me. there is nothing in the manual I remember but who knows, this just may be one of those situations that's not covered. you have nothing to lose by trying it. if you have both set to Yes, then there may be a "Bug" that this overrides the speaker selector setting & telling the receiver not to use rears when one pair of the wides/hts is on.

Steve
post #1290 of 1846 Old 03-25-2013, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
ddf200 - I would temporarily hook up a right back surround speaker and a left back surround speaker. Not one rear back surround speaker.

Then see if all the speakers function correctly.

Mitz DLP 73740
Pioneer SC 1222K
Pioneer BDP 150
Apple I Pad Retina
Fronts Cerwin Vega AT-12
Center JBL Northridge EC-35
Surround Rear JBL CST-56
Surround Back Advent
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Elite Sc 67 9 2 Channel Thx Select 2 Plus A V Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc 68 9 2 Channel Thx Ultra 2 Plus A V Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page