post #1351 of 1854 Old 04-01-2013, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

^^
typically, these threads get created for 1 model or the models closest to each other. the SC-65 lacks more features compared to the 67 & 68 which are relatively close in features/performance. that's why I did what I did - create a logical break point wink.gif

so what's the problem? if you're interested in the SC-65 or own it, are you averse to posting in the thread(s) created by SC-65 owners? count me confused.gif

but if you'd like to ask a question or comment about the 65 here, you are welcome to do so & someone in this thread probably would respond. it's not a big deal to cross-pollinate threads - there are numerous threads on Pioneer models, there are even several threads for the same models eek.gif no one is going to tell you that you can't post a question smile.gif and many post in threads on brands & model they don't personally own, too. I do, just to keep current on what's out there or help someone based on personal experience

Denon threads are mostly single model threads so...

the forum is what it is

is there something on your mind about the 65?

Thanks. I was just curious as when I was looking at the 3 models on Pioneer's website they all 3 seemed very similar except a few features from model to model. Most of them seemed pretty worthless to me so I just picked up a SC-65 since I'm only using it for a single room 9.2 setup only for movies. smile.gif I've followed this thread & the SC-65 thread but I thought that it would have been nice to have them all in the same thread as many things are similar, that's all. biggrin.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1854 Old 04-03-2013, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Hey guys

I'm late to the Airplay party but better late than not at all wink.gif

Tried it out last week & it works perfectly! Press the icon on the iphone, pick SC-68 and the receiver changed inputs, started playing the song & art on the screen. I'm still surprised a bit how far AVR's have come since just 4-5 yrs ago in connectivity.

Thought some of you might get a kick out of an old f*rt discovering a new thing that most take for granted these days eek.gifbiggrin.gif

Steve
post #1353 of 1854 Old 04-03-2013, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Hey guys

Tried it out last week & it works perfectly! Press the icon on the iphone, pick SC-68 and the receiver changed inputs, started playing the song & art on the screen. I'm still surprised a bit how far AVR's have come since just 4-5 yrs ago in connectivity.

Thought some of you might get a kick out of an old f*rt discovering a new thing that most take for granted these days eek.gifbiggrin.gif

I love this feature a use it quite extensively on my 67 I get a really warm and rich sound. I use my i-pad loaded like a music juke box and love streaming and surfing from the comfort of my couch.
post #1354 of 1854 Old 04-03-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:

Hey guys

Steve,

How do compare audio quality between AirPlay and other mode of playback?
post #1355 of 1854 Old 04-05-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmofanv View Post

How do compare audio quality between AirPlay and other mode of playback?

I did some research related to this topic:

Airplay
Airplay itself does not alter music source in any way. It is designed to not degrade the audio at all.

AppleTV
ATV1 can only output 44.1Khz
ATV2 and 3 can only output 48KHz and not 44.1KHz, so ATV2 and 3 converts everything to 48KHz

AirPort Express
Would pass 16/44.1 unchanged but would down sample on higher rates. Does not support 24 bits.

iPad 3
Lightning to USB cable does not allow USB audio output
but the CCK (camera connection kit) does support it due to the built-in authorization circuit that interact with the usb codec on iPad but the codec only supports usb 1.1 and may not work for all external DAC.
Would need a FLAC player application, eg. "FLAC Player" or "Golden Ear" on the iPad.
It was said only "FLAC Player" can allow 24/192 on iPad. FLAC Player uses Class 2 audio USB to send up to 24/192 out of the iPad to a Class 2-capable DAC
http://www.head-fi.org/t/559390/ipad-or-ipad-2-and-24-bit-files/60
FYI, iTunes downsamples all music to 16 bit / 41.1 kHz.

Android
Some platforms have miniusb port that supports USB audio output
ie. Samsung Galaxy Tab, Galaxy Note, Nexus
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1393599/enable-usb-audio-on-any-android-4-0-smartphone-tablet/60

Nexus 7 doesn't support MHL or any video out.

In general, for digital transportation, i.e. sending digital data from one device and receive them on the other device, the first thing to check is if it supports the digital file format (such as flac or others). The second thing to check is if it supports the sample rate and resolution (such 24bits/96KHz) of your files. However, the most important thing as far as sound quality goes is if it alters the digital data in any way. For example, resampling from 44.1kHz to 48kHz, or EQ, or automatic volume control, etc. Since your receiver SC-67/68 already has so much better DAC and digital processing capabilities than any of your iPad/Androd platforms, you do not want to do anything that alters the digital music (such as EQ) on the platform.

In short, digital transportation is just a transportation (see note below). As long as the data is unchanged and not dropped along the way, it is the receiver that matters on the sound quality (assuming the music source itself is good). Airplay is a very good transportation method that does not alter your digital music.

Note: this is in simple and general terms. To be technically correct, there are some other factors in digital transport such as clocking and noise isolation that can affect audio quality.
post #1356 of 1854 Old 04-08-2013, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 343
^^
wow, I couldn't have answered the question in that amount of detail redface.gif

I haven't compared Airplay to anything else yet so I'm glad you answered gizmofanv. to me it made sense that wireless transport wouldn't hurt the audio per se but I also didn't think about possibility of down-sampling in the "software". I'm glad to read it doesn't smile.gif

Steve
post #1357 of 1854 Old 04-08-2013, 11:42 PM

Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

I finally made the purchase for the SC-68 after months of research and viewing these threads. I’m hoping you experts can assist me in troubleshooting an issue with the SC-68.

Sometimes the image on the screen "shakes"/”vibrates” when I switch the HDMI input to sat/cable. This happens randomly and does not occur all the time. It’s more noticeable on cable programming that has news tickers at the bottom of the screen (e.g. ESPN). The digital cable box is connected to sat/cable input via Monster HDMI cable.

Sometimes the screen shakes/vibrates if I go to SC-68 menu and then return back to cable programming. The only way it seems to resolve the issue is to power off the SC-68 and power it back on, or switch to another input and switch back to sat/cable input. The screen will then go back to normal. I tried switching the HDMI cable, but that didn’t make a difference. I also updated the firmware and that did not solve the issue either. I haven’t noticed it on other inputs yet besides sat/cable.

Anyone experience this before?

Separate issue, but I also notice that the news tickers sometimes blurs when up scaling is on. The tickers don’t blur at all when I turn off video up scaling. I’m not sure if that is something that normally happens with up scaling.

Equipment:
SC-68 with Full MCACC setup, all HDMI, video up scaling off
Monster Ultra HDMI cables
Digital cable on 1080i
Sharp 1080p TV
post #1358 of 1854 Old 04-09-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Sounds like an HDMI handshake issue. Which cable box is this?

post #1359 of 1854 Old 04-09-2013, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureUncut View Post

Hello everyone,

I finally made the purchase for the SC-68 after months of research and viewing these threads. I’m hoping you experts can assist me in troubleshooting an issue with the SC-68.

Sometimes the image on the screen "shakes"/”vibrates” when I switch the HDMI input to sat/cable. This happens randomly and does not occur all the time. It’s more noticeable on cable programming that has news tickers at the bottom of the screen (e.g. ESPN). The digital cable box is connected to sat/cable input via Monster HDMI cable.

Sometimes the screen shakes/vibrates if I go to SC-68 menu and then return back to cable programming. The only way it seems to resolve the issue is to power off the SC-68 and power it back on, or switch to another input and switch back to sat/cable input. The screen will then go back to normal. I tried switching the HDMI cable, but that didn’t make a difference. I also updated the firmware and that did not solve the issue either. I haven’t noticed it on other inputs yet besides sat/cable.

Anyone experience this before?

Separate issue, but I also notice that the news tickers sometimes blurs when up scaling is on. The tickers don’t blur at all when I turn off video up scaling. I’m not sure if that is something that normally happens with up scaling.

Equipment:
SC-68 with Full MCACC setup, all HDMI, video up scaling off
Monster Ultra HDMI cables
Digital cable on 1080i
Sharp 1080p TV

I had the exact same issue recently. At first I thought it was a problem with the cable signal, but saw it on every channel. I honestly don't knw if its the SC68 or my Sharp TV or the Comcast box causing this.

I shut off the TV and receiver and it resolved.
post #1360 of 1854 Old 04-09-2013, 12:10 PM

The cable box is Cisco 8742HDC. I have it set on 1080i.

Thanks for your input
post #1361 of 1854 Old 04-10-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I am stumped... It does not help when the manual is very confusing...

I am using seven channels for my HT setup and using the other two channels for a separate pair of speakers for listening in Stereo mode. So I just select speaker A for HT use and speaker B for stereo use. The problem is that when I am using speaker A and switch to speaker B, the speakers want to playback in Dolby PLIIx so i have to cycle to stereo. Conversely, when listening to speaker B and switching to speaker A I have to change the mode from stereo to surround. Is there a way to take care of this automatically?

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #1362 of 1854 Old 04-10-2013, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinkee View Post

Not sure if anyone saw this yet, but Pioneer just announced 2 new elites for 2013. The new flagship is the sc70.

Uhhh.. there is no SC-70...

It's the brand new VSX-70, a $750 receiver.. an Elite, but hardly a flagship. wink.gif
post #1363 of 1854 Old 04-10-2013, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Definitely misread the hometheater post.
post #1364 of 1854 Old 04-11-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by soniky View Post

AppleTV
ATV1 can only output 44.1Khz
ATV2 and 3 can only output 48KHz and not 44.1KHz, so ATV2 and 3 converts everything to 48KHz
Just one small addition to this. ATV1 supports both 44.1 and 48 kHz. I have loaded a movie with 5.1 DD 48 kHz and it plays fine, so not only does it support 48 kHz, it does so without resampling which would destroy the bitstream. Same is true for some DTS CDs (44.1 kHz) I also have on it.

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #1365 of 1854 Old 04-12-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Just one small addition to this. ATV1 supports both 44.1 and 48 kHz. I have loaded a movie with 5.1 DD 48 kHz and it plays fine, so not only does it support 48 kHz, it does so without resampling which would destroy the bitstream. Same is true for some DTS CDs (44.1 kHz) I also have on it.

Looks like I didn't get all the information correct. I tried to verify with information available on other forums but haven't been able to find a straight answer. One person say that ATV1 hardware limitation is 24/96 via Toslink but the ATV1 software it comes with limits the output to 16/44.1. After installed OSX it allows 24/96.
post #1366 of 1854 Old 04-14-2013, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Guys,
Anyone of you using external power amps with your SC-68?
I'm thinking of trying out external amps either NAD T975 or Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2.
Sometimes I find the built in amp of Pioneer too dynamic/bright which sounded kind of thin...

Thanks smile.gif
post #1367 of 1854 Old 04-14-2013, 08:29 AM

I have a question regarding powering my Polk Rti A9's. I'm only running a 7.1 setup, and those Polk speakers LOVE power. Is it worth it to bi-amp the fronts or does the resulting power drain negate the advantages?
post #1368 of 1854 Old 04-14-2013, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Louie --- Do you have the SC-68 currently? Super Steve - SS9001 has added the amps from his older Pioneer Elite Susano. Not sure if anyone else is using externals as the power output of the 68 is quite high compared to other AVRs. I would not just assume adding an amp will do anything. My older Elite - not Class D amps - had no benefit whatsoever from adding an Emotiva XPA-3. My limited listening to the new series leads me to say that I hear nothing wrong with the newer amps being used internally. Sure can't say that I heard anything other than what was recorded.
post #1369 of 1854 Old 04-14-2013, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

EmulousTrigger--
I guess the best answer is to just try it for yourself as only you can judge if there is any real benefit. The common concensous is that Bi-amping or Bi-wiring produces no measurable improvements. It depends upon the speaker design somewhat. If the internal wiring is split for the tweeter vs the rest of the drivers, I can not imagine any improvements as the tweeter uses such a tiny amount of energy. You won't hurt anything by trying after you remove the speaker jumpers. As you say you have a 7.1 system, your main speakers are already running at reduced power demand as you have a powered subwoofer I assume so the 68 should easily be able to drive the speakers. Give it a try and let us know your experience please. Will help others with similar questions.
post #1370 of 1854 Old 04-14-2013, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post

Louie --- Do you have the SC-68 currently? Super Steve - SS9001 has added the amps from his older Pioneer Elite Susano. Not sure if anyone else is using externals as the power output of the 68 is quite high compared to other AVRs. I would not just assume adding an amp will do anything. My older Elite - not Class D amps - had no benefit whatsoever from adding an Emotiva XPA-3. My limited listening to the new series leads me to say that I hear nothing wrong with the newer amps being used internally. Sure can't say that I heard anything other than what was recorded.

Thanks Peter.
Actually what I have is the Pioneer SC-LX86 which is the same as the Elite SC-68.
Right now my Pioneer is driving 9-channels composed mainly of Goldenear speakers...
I do sometimes feel/hear that its too dynamic, too detailed or bright sounding that kinda sound thin(lack weight or fullness)
I'm thinking maybe NAD external power amp would add more weight and fullness.
I can't do home auditions coz this amp is order basis from where I am...
post #1371 of 1854 Old 04-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Any chance you can borrow an amp from a fellow enthusiast? Would think a short listen with any other amp would give you some idea if you will hear a change. Many here claim all amps measure the same and sound the same. I don't have enough experience to truly verify that but I tend to believe it having tried a couple different amps. Anyway, if you can find a 200 watt per chanel amp to just do a quick experiment
post #1372 of 1854 Old 04-14-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
I would try to borrow an amp and see if you notice a difference that is what most of us did that went from separates to AVR's since some of us were convinced the amps in an AVR were not adequate but seldom is the case in the flagship line-ups if you run your speakers small, they are somewhat efficient 89db 1w/1m, and crossover to sub/s at 70 or 80 Hz.
The other need for external amps would be large rooms played at very loud levels. ( if this is the case don't worry about being able to hear a difference some hearing damage should occur if extended use is continued).
Digital amps unlike class A/B will not drop as much with more channels running ,tend to have more headroom with all channels running ,conditions which are rare outside of test bench but draw less current which equates to cheaper electric bills.
post #1373 of 1854 Old 04-14-2013, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Give it some time to burn in those amps. I thought they were a little bright as well, until I played it for a few weeks. Then again, the receiver is brutally revealing and really exposes bad recordings.
post #1374 of 1854 Old 04-15-2013, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie_18 View Post

Thanks Peter.
Actually what I have is the Pioneer SC-LX86 which is the same as the Elite SC-68.
Right now my Pioneer is driving 9-channels composed mainly of Goldenear speakers...
I do sometimes feel/hear that its too dynamic, too detailed or bright sounding that kinda sound thin(lack weight or fullness)
I'm thinking maybe NAD external power amp would add more weight and fullness.
I can't do home auditions coz this amp is order basis from where I am...

The speaker sound thin or brIght, I hear this more often when people run their speakers full range and at higher volume. This could be due to cone breakup in the speaker. Also near an amps max power, the HF may be 3-5 db over the LF sound. The power supply is under stress at this point. In general the Pioneer's have plenty of power. External amps benefit the smaller speaker and less efficient speakers in the system. My front height speakers, RS 35, require much more power than my RF 7's and are more likely to distort before the RF 7's. I use external amplification. There will be arguments on whether there is a benefit. They do look cool:) Even at Reference level, the mains rarely exceed 40 watts and the front height may go near 100 watts. With music, the avr can be forced to work harder. I don't know how running 7-9 speakers would affect the power distribution of the Elite avr's. The SC 68 can swing a 4 ohm load up to around 270-300 watts peak.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #1375 of 1854 Old 04-16-2013, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie_18 View Post

Guys,
Anyone of you using external power amps with your SC-68?
I'm thinking of trying out external amps either NAD T975 or Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2.
Sometimes I find the built in amp of Pioneer too dynamic/bright which sounded kind of thin...

Thanks smile.gif

I'm using a NAD M25 with my SC-68. Excellent combo!
post #1376 of 1854 Old 04-17-2013, 05:18 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates View Post

I'm using a NAD M25 with my SC-68. Excellent combo!

I'm using a pioneer elite m 90 along with the 68 and are happy with the results.
post #1377 of 1854 Old 04-18-2013, 04:57 PM

Question regarding audio decoding......I use a PS3 as my blu ray player connected to an SC-67. Should I let the receiver decode the audio from the PS3 or allow it to do the decoding instead of the receiver?
post #1378 of 1854 Old 04-18-2013, 06:40 PM

This has probably already been answered, but with directv, should I output the native signal for each hd channel (720p, 1080i) and then let the receiver upscale to 1080p. Seems like less processing than having directv box output everything as 1080i then upscale.

Any opinions?
post #1379 of 1854 Old 04-18-2013, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmulousTrigger View Post

Question regarding audio decoding......I use a PS3 as my blu ray player connected to an SC-67. Should I let the receiver decode the audio from the PS3 or allow it to do the decoding instead of the receiver?

I output bitstream from the BDP and let the receiver doing take over all the processing.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #1380 of 1854 Old 04-19-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmulousTrigger View Post

It's been discussed here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1320428/bitstream-or-pcm-ps3-or-receiver

I would choose bitstream to let the sc-67/68 does all the wonderful processing.

BTW, everything about PS3:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/931796/official-ps3-faq-master-thread
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Elite Sc 67 9 2 Channel Thx Select 2 Plus A V Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc 68 9 2 Channel Thx Ultra 2 Plus A V Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page