Official Pioneer SC-68/67 Thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 1847 Old 05-19-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 246
did you try the SPEAKER button (#7) on the remote? you could have pressed it accidentally and switched your speaker output to B. try toggling the choices by continued button pressing & see if A's come back. Or you could be in multizone 2/3 if you pressed the appropriate buttons on front panel or remote and not in the main zone. That could also be the issue.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1847 Old 05-19-2013, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the quick reply, Steve. The speaker button was the very first thing I checked. Also checked the zone settings. Still no joy. I'm in the process of checking all of the default (audio, HDMI, zone, etc) settings to make sure I didn't inadvertently change something.

Regards,

persist
post #1443 of 1847 Old 05-19-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by persist View Post

Thanks for the quick reply, Steve. The speaker button was the very first thing I checked. Also checked the zone settings. Still no joy. I'm in the process of checking all of the default (audio, HDMI, zone, etc) settings to make sure I didn't inadvertently change something.

Regards,

persist

Figured it out. I compared receiver audio parameters to the default settings from p74 of the manual. The Amp was set to Off and should have been On. Don't know how I changed it, but I did.tongue.gif
post #1444 of 1847 Old 05-19-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by persist View Post

Figured it out. I compared receiver audio parameters to the default settings from p74 of the manual. The Amp was set to Off and should have been On. Don't know how I changed it, but I did.tongue.gif

that would do it wink.gif glad you figured it out.

Steve
post #1445 of 1847 Old 05-19-2013, 05:54 PM

Sorry guys but I am really confused.

If I have a cd/dvd player connected to my SC-68 via an HDMI or Optical connection and I want to play the same music in a different area/zone, and I am only interested in 2 channels in the additional area, and I want to use the SC-68 to power the additional area/zone, but I want to control the volume because it is a much smaller area (or different speakers)...using the SC-68 I am SOL?

Using "B" speakers would not allow me to adjust the volume independently.

Thanks!
post #1446 of 1847 Old 05-19-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

confused.gif

sorry, what do you mean by "five to one system"? do you mean a 5.1 speaker setup with side surrounds?

if you meant 5.1 & want to add rear surrounds to make it 7.1 or 6.1 then yes and you can use only 1 back speaker (6.1). just connect it to the terminal labeled Surround Back Single (=surround back L). if this is not what you meant, then please clarify & I'll try to help smile.gif
Quote:

confused.gif

sorry, what do you mean by "five to one system"? do you mean a 5.1 speaker setup with side surrounds?

if you meant 5.1 & want to add rear surrounds to make it 7.1 or 6.1 then yes and you can use only 1 back speaker (6.1). just connect it to the terminal labeled Surround Back Single (=surround back L). if this is not what you meant, then please clarify & I'll try to help smile.gif
Quote:

confused.gif

if you meant 5.1 & want to add rear surrounds to make it 7.1 or 6.1 then yes and you can use only 1 back speaker (6.1). just connect it to the terminal labeled Surround Back Single (=surround back L). if this is not what you meant, then please clarify & I'll try to help smile.gif[/quot

Hello ss9001,
Just wanted to thank you.
You were absolutely correct.
I was asking about 6.1.
Since there is no rear center using the left is exactly correct.

Most appreciated,

mr. Panda
post #1447 of 1847 Old 05-20-2013, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^
I guess your post with all quotes means it's working?

Steve
post #1448 of 1847 Old 05-20-2013, 11:52 AM

Sorry,

ss9001,

My computer was acting very slow and kept dupicating quotes.

I am in no hurry to add suround but wanted to make sure that it could work.

Fell asleap last night reading this most informative thread.
Not boring just lot to read.

I really appreciate what you are doing on this this thread.

My callibrator made me a list of which sound processing types should use.

Said I can cycle through these by press the receiver button on remote first and then the number two button (standard) is this correct?

What does PCM on front display mean?

Most appreciated,

Mr. Panda
post #1449 of 1847 Old 05-20-2013, 06:01 PM

Ok. So I think I understand the limitations of Zone 3 and Zone 4. cool.gif

It would seem that if I want to use those, I am using the external DAC of whatever source is selected for the zone since I can only route analog input to ZONE 2 or ZONE 3 as output. Neither HDMI nor any of the other Digital input formats (Optical or Coaxial) is supported in ZONE 2 or ZONE 3. ...but the SC-68's Pandora and the USB/DAC inputs are supported. Which of course makes no sense since these are digital sources too. So, if you run Pandora out of the SC-68, you can route it to Main, ZONE 2 and/or ZONE 3. But if you run the same Pandora via your HDMI or Optical or Coaxial input to the SC-68, you are SOL. mad.gif

And as I noted above, if you want to use your CD/DVD or anything really as an input to ZONE 2 or ZONE 3, you are looking at analog and the sources DAC. And the crazy thing is that both Pandora from the TV and my CD's are only two channels! Boo. frown.gif

While I get the limitation on the ZONE 2 OUT or ZONE 3 OUT, I do not get the limitation on the powered terminal output to these zones. confused.gif
post #1450 of 1847 Old 05-21-2013, 06:39 AM

Just thinking this thru. Wouldn't it make more scence to power up receiver? Then power up TV and Cable Box That way receiver is all powered up and ready to accept new signals.

post #1451 of 1847 Old 05-21-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Yes... That would be the proper way to power up a system...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #1452 of 1847 Old 05-21-2013, 02:25 PM

Liked: 11
Based on this website - http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-problems.html

Recommended Power-up sequence to reduce HDCP / HDMI Handshake problems

[1] Power-off all equipment (At the wall socket).
[2] Ensure all Cables, Splitters, Switches, Extenders are connected within the HDMI Distribution Network.
[3] Power on all Splitters, Switches, Extenders within HDMI Distribution Network.
[4] Power on all displays and set to HDMI input from HDMI Distribution Network (Source device need to be able to contact display to retrieve EDID information)
[5] Power on Sources / Players. Ensure that a path is open from source to display for HDCP handshake negotiation by selecting the proper input on HDMI Switches or HDMI switch/splitter combo's via the remote control (Sources negotiates HDCP Handshake via HDMI Network to displays which is set to HDMI input to respond to handshake).

Some displays will negotiate HDCP handshake / timing better if the source are already powered on and you may need to change points 3,4,5 above to 4,3,5 or 4,5,3 depending on your equipment.

If I understand correctly, because the source device needs to obtain EDID information from the display device, it has less chance for trouble by power on display device (output) first and the source device (input) last with the receiver in between (treat the receiver as a source as far as the display is concerned). Note in the above steps, 5 is always after 4. If there are HDMI splitters, switches, then they should be up the first. It is mentioned to always wait 10 seconds or longer for the negociation to compelete at each step. By the way, do not connect HDMI cables while the device is already powered on becasue HDMI cable carries +5DC voltage.

Power-up sequence "should not" make any difference. However, that's not true in all the cases, especially with some older devices running with older firmware. If you think you may have HDMI handshake issues between devices, you might want to try this power-up sequence. It won't solve every problem, but it's worth a try. The hdtvsupply website has other very useful information inclduing the possible causes, solutions and some troubleshooting steps.

For more details about HDMI handshakes, the following information are shamelessly taken from Test Engineer’s Guide to HDMI 1.4
- http://www.ni.com/white-paper/12680/en

HDMI Protocol Overview
HDMI offers much more to consumers than traditional analog interfaces because it does more than transfer audio and video signals. The HDMI protocol allows devices to communicate settings, preferred formats, and force actions. The HDMI protocol has three sections:

CEC
The CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) is an independent feature based on a single line that is daisy chained between all of the devices on an HDMI link. The CEC line allows any device that is CEC-enabled to exchange information with any other device(s). CEC can be used to command all of the devices using a single remote control or to automatically change settings on a device when the status of another device changes (for example, if powered on or off). For instance, if a consumer places a disc into a Blu-ray Player and shuts the drawer, the HDTV automatically powers on, sets the correct video input, and turns on the surround-sound receiver. This communication is all done over the CEC line and provides a much better customer experience.

EDID
EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) is a set of data physically stored in a sink device such as an HDTV or DVR. EDID contains information about the sink's supported features and capability. A source device (like a Blu-ray Player) can access that information and adjust to the preferred or supported settings of the sink. For example, a 3D-capable Blu-ray Player would need to read the EDID table of an HDTV to ensure that it supports not only 3D content but also a common 3D structure such as the Blu-ray Player. If no common structure can be identified, then a 2D resolution and frame rate is negotiated. The communication between the source device(s) and the sink device is implemented through the DDC lines (Display Data Channel), which is an I2C bus included in the HDMI cable.

HPD
The HPD (Hot-Plug-Detect) feature is a communication mechanism between a source and a sink device that makes the source device aware that it has been connected/disconnected to/from the sink device. When an HDMI cable is inserted between the two devices, the resulting hot-plug detection instantiates a start-up communication sequence. The EDID information stored in the sink device gets read by the source device though the DDC bus, and the source device typically presents itself on the CEC link and requests basic status information from the sink device such as its power status as well as other devices on the HDMI chain.
post #1453 of 1847 Old 05-21-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^
Great info, soniky. maybe it'll help some owners with quirky connectivity, especially the cable boxes wink.gif

what I found interesting was this:

"Some displays will negotiate HDCP handshake / timing better if the source are already powered on and you may need to change points 3,4,5 above to 4,3,5 or 4,5,3 depending on your equipment."

IOW, there is no "right" sequence wink.gif the only commonality is they suggest source be last.

maybe I've been lucky and owning Pioneer displays certainly could be a factor (compatibility) but I have found the order in which I turned on gear made no difference at all, it either worked or it didn't.

I mentioned this somewhere, maybe this thread, but I have 2 older devices with older HDMI specs (1.0 & 1.1) that would connect through a DVI switcher to TV, using HDMI-DVI cable, but refused to go thru the receiver & it didn't matter one bit which one I powered first....of course I tried wink.gif I also tried different inputs too but no luck. every other player, incl 2 Toshiba HD-DVD players, 3 BD players work perfectly fine and power sequence makes no difference at all.

but it can't hurt to try the above advice & it just may solve a problem smile.gif I certainly have copied the info for safe keeping just in case I need it sometime smile.gif just for the heck of it, I may try my balky devices again with this info in mind...who knows maybe one of the suggested combos will work and I could report that cool.gif it'll certainly make me less skeptical tongue.gifwink.gif

Steve
post #1454 of 1847 Old 05-22-2013, 09:18 AM

Hi ss9001, you are correct. So I edited my original post with the following information.

Power-up sequence "should not" make any difference. However, that's not true in all the cases, especially with some older devices running with older firmware. If you think you may have HDMI handshake issues between devices, you might want to try this power-up sequence. It won't solve every problem, but it's worth a try. The hdtvsupply website has other very useful information inclduing the possible causes, solutions and some troubleshooting steps.
post #1455 of 1847 Old 05-27-2013, 08:24 AM

Liked: 18
I was wondering if anyone here as upgraded from an SC-37 to an SC-68? I currently have an SC-37 and an contemplating purchasing an SC-68. Is there any pro's or con's between the two? I am especially concerned with the amplifier section being that they are using their own D3 modules instead of B&O ICE Power now.
post #1456 of 1847 Old 05-28-2013, 09:53 AM

I have an SC-67 and am loving it over my SC-35. I feel the amp sounds a bit fuller.

On to my question, I have a Galaxy Nexus and am looking for a way to push music from my phone to the receiver. I subscribe to Google Music so I would like to uses that app. People that use HTC phones or iPhones have no problem connecting up and pushing music to the receiver. Does anyone have any helpful hints on getting this going. The phone is rooted and I'm not scared to make "changes" to the OS or anything to get this to work.

Thanks
post #1457 of 1847 Old 05-28-2013, 02:46 PM

Might look into Air Jam and MHL for Android devices. I've not used either so don't know much about them. If your Nexus has an USB Data port, you might see if it can be used to output digital audio and connect to an external DAC.
post #1458 of 1847 Old 05-28-2013, 06:06 PM

Will sc-68 improve Apple TV picture quality?
I just replaced my pioneer elite 43FD bluray player with a 62FD Bluray player. I like the PQ improvement that I see. I assume it is primarily because of the Qdeo chip. I think sc-68 uses the same chip.
Now, the question is if the sc-68 will help improve picture quality from other hdmi based sources such as Apple TV or a DVR/Settop box.
post #1459 of 1847 Old 05-28-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexA6404 View Post

Will sc-68 improve Apple TV picture quality?
I just replaced my pioneer elite 43FD bluray player with a 62FD Bluray player. I like the PQ improvement that I see. I assume it is primarily because of the Qdeo chip. I think sc-68 uses the same chip.
Now, the question is if the sc-68 will help improve picture quality from other hdmi based sources such as Apple TV or a DVR/Settop box.

Hey Alex,
I asked this about a page ago, is the display on the Bluray player the same brightness as the AVR?

Thanks
post #1460 of 1847 Old 05-28-2013, 08:25 PM

Hi Jeromeh

I have a Denon 4802 AVR that does not have HDMI. I use it only for Audio. I run my video sources directly into the TV (a Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD) using HDMI.

Thus, My question is, if I replcae my Denon 4802 AVR with a SC-68:
1. Will I get better picture quality from sources such as Apple TV and a Settop box if I run them thru SC-68 HDMI to the TV?
2. For those who might be familiar with Denon 4802, will I get improvement in audio quality?
post #1461 of 1847 Old 05-29-2013, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexA6404 View Post

Hi Jeromeh

I have a Denon 4802 AVR that does not have HDMI. I use it only for Audio. I run my video sources directly into the TV (a Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD) using HDMI.

Thus, My question is, if I replcae my Denon 4802 AVR with a SC-68:
1. Will I get better picture quality from sources such as Apple TV and a Settop box if I run them thru SC-68 HDMI to the TV?
2. For those who might be familiar with Denon 4802, will I get improvement in audio quality?

I had a Denon 5803 before I got my SC-68. The 5803 cost nearly 3 times what my SC-68 cost and I was concerned about losing quality.

I am very happy with the SC-68. I don't hear any loss of sound quality, and the upgraded features is a great improvement.

I don't really see a picture quality improvement (then again, I am not looking for it).

The ability to have so many fewer cables has been great. The install is much, much cleaner.

Since I don't want my receiver on all the time for watching cable, I use the SC-68's HDMI Passthrough. I love it as it simplifies the installation.

So far, I'm very happy with the SC-68.
post #1462 of 1847 Old 05-29-2013, 02:08 PM

5.1ch lossless audio over DLNA

I am wondering what's your experience playing 16/44.1 or above lossless audio in 5.1ch format to sc-67/68 over DLNA? I worry if there is going to be any lag by the receiver.

I tried 24/192 2ch flac via a usb drive connected direclty to the front. It plays fine but it takes a long time (> 20 seconds) to stop playing from the remote control. It seems the reciver can't keep up with all the processing demand. I havn't tried 5.1 over DLNA yet but thinking that it'd be worse (assuming my network is fast enough).
post #1463 of 1847 Old 05-30-2013, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 319
New SC models on the Pioneer Website, the SC-71 and SC-72....

Pionner Elite AVR's
post #1464 of 1847 Old 05-31-2013, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^
I would expect new top models will also be announced soon, maybe June-July.

Steve
post #1465 of 1847 Old 05-31-2013, 11:46 AM

Does anyone use theirs with a computer? I use mine with Powerdvd and can not get PCM soundtracks to output in anything but 2.0. I used to work with my old receiver, but not with this one.

EDIT- I read further back and found the answer
post #1466 of 1847 Old 06-01-2013, 01:33 AM

ive had my sc67 for 6 months now and always listen to pandora and internet radio all the time, just a few days ago i tried to listen to pandora/ internet media. When i choose one or the other i cannot go past the resume play. my up/downleft /right selection as well as enter does not work and wont alliow me to select to play music. Anyone have this issue. im running cat 6 directly to verizon router. I just remembered that i upgraded to fios quantum a few days ago but i didnt reset router etc. they did it on their end.
Also since this wasnt working i attempted to use my cable box to play music on zone 2 but no sound anyone can help with be much aprreciated.
Thanks in advance.
post #1467 of 1847 Old 06-01-2013, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
What did they change in the new Elite receivers?
post #1468 of 1847 Old 06-01-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #1469 of 1847 Old 06-01-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 120

There's something called Virtual Depth added, to give audio more of a compliment for 3D movies. Anyone know what that means in non-marketing speak?

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

post #1470 of 1847 Old 06-02-2013, 05:07 AM

Sorry, don't mean to jump in here, but I can't figure this out. Using my SC-67, I like to play the PS3 using the BD input but listen to music from a different source. Is it possible with that receiver to use one input but use the audio from a different input, such as the iPod input?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Elite Sc 67 9 2 Channel Thx Select 2 Plus A V Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc 68 9 2 Channel Thx Ultra 2 Plus A V Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page