Official Pioneer SC-68/67 Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1848 Old 09-09-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Damn, steve. You did a complete 180. Someone kidnap you and make demands???? Heh.

I still don't fogive pioneer for leaving the ICE behind and that special look i love about my SC-37. But whatever. Thats my opinion. And im sure their new AVR's perform great. Even though i'd liked to think not as great as my ICE equipped 37. tongue.gif

Oh, please whatever you do don't sell that susano! I don't care if you end up not using it. Keep as a collectors item and memories.

On a last note; it's nice to see you and chris heavily active in a pioneer thread again.

Batman and Robin.

home theater addict
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1848 Old 09-10-2012, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Oh, please whatever you do don't sell that susano!...On a last note; it's nice to see you and chris heavily active in a pioneer thread again.
Batman and Robin.

lol biggrin.gif

Batman & Robin...I like that!
as long as it's not Cagney & Lacey eek.gifbiggrin.gif

and I have no current plans to sell the susano - too much "invested" wink.gif and I'm working on way to use both.

Steve
post #183 of 1848 Old 09-10-2012, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm planning on upgrading my old Yamaha RX-V1800 to an SC-68 in the next couple of months. I have a question about the front high/wide outputs. If I switch my fronts to bi-amp and stick an external amp on the pre outs for the front high/wide speakers, will all 11 speakers work when D PLIIz or Neo X is on?

In other words, do the front high/wide pre outs have a signal even though the amplified outs are not configured to have them?
post #184 of 1848 Old 09-10-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

very unlikely... to do so would require a duplicate signal path within the avr...

don't bother passively bi-amping... it doesn't do what you probably think it does, and it precludes you from doing what you really want to do...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #185 of 1848 Old 09-10-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Oh, please whatever you do don't sell that susano!...On a last note; it's nice to see you and chris heavily active in a pioneer thread again.
Batman and Robin.

lol biggrin.gif

Batman & Robin...I like that!
as long as it's not Cagney & Lacey eek.gifbiggrin.gif

and I have no current plans to sell the susano - too much "invested" wink.gif and I'm working on way to use both.

lol... or "beavis & butthead"... biggrin.gif

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #186 of 1848 Old 09-10-2012, 11:56 AM

So your saying that the switching for front high/wide/bi-amp happens before the pre outs and not after. And if I wasn't going to bi-amp in the SC-68 then the signal would switch between the front high and front wide pre outs just as it would for the front high and front wide speaker connections.

I wouldn't do passive. To get bi-amp and front high/wide I'd have to get an external amp that does bi-amp and run the fronts off that. I was hoping I could reuse my existing amp for the front high/wide speakers.

That now changes the question to: Which is better, bi-amp or front high/wide?
post #187 of 1848 Old 09-10-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

you'll also need to remove the passive xover network in your speakers and replace it with an active xover before the amplification... from the avr's perspective, it would not "know" you are bi-amping, it would just look like a single channel... you would not configure your avr as "bi-amp" in this case...

i.e. avr pre-out ---> active xover ----> amplifiers ----> speaker drivers...

if you are indeed doing this, then you do not need to "choose", you can both actively bi-amp AND have front high/wide....

- chris

post #188 of 1848 Old 09-10-2012, 12:50 PM

If I understand this correctly, for active bi-amp the crossover is removed and for passive bi-amp the crossover stays. Based on the warning on page 23 of the manual to not remove the crossover, are they just covering their behinds or is the SC-68 meant for passive bi-amp when it's driving the fronts?

I think I'll go with the active crossover setup as you suggest when I upgrade my front speakers. I take it that accidentally swapping the cables in an active setup would be unfortunate... eek.gif

I'm currently designing my new home theatre room and am figuring out all the speaker connections I'll need.
post #189 of 1848 Old 09-10-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

on it's own, the avr can ONLY passively biamp, as it does not have an active xover...

lol... ummm, yea... speaking from personal experience, connecting the tweeter to what was meant for the woofer lets the magic smoke out of the tweeter in a REAL hurry... redface.gif i really wish i had video of that, it would have been a great "youtube moment"... tongue.gif

to be honest... unless you really know what you are doing with xovers, you are more likely to make it worse by actively bi-amping, and not better... actively bi-amping has its places (although imo, moreso in a car than in a home), but for most "home users", it's of no benefit...

i HAVE heard a couple of very well tuned active setups.... but they weren't put together in a weekend, if you get my drift... smile.gif

- chris

post #190 of 1848 Old 09-10-2012, 01:14 PM

Yeah, I'd have to match the active crossover to the speakers. I'll probably still do it but not right away then. I'll put in two pairs of posts for each of the front speakers in the room when I build it for when I do finally decide to bi-amp.
post #191 of 1848 Old 09-10-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

can't hurt to be prepared... smile.gif

small recommendation... when you run your wire, rather than using binding posts at the wall termination, use speakons... when i re-wired my theater, that is what i used, and it is a more reliable connection (my cat/cleaning lady/drunken friends can't pull them from the wall)...

then whip yourself up a set of speaker cables with speakons on one end for the wall connection, and bananas for the speaker connection... if you are building the speakers yourself (or tearing out the passive xover), i'd use speakons on the speaker side as well...

speakons:

http://www.neutrik.com/en/speakon/

how to make your own "high end" speaker cables:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1301573/have-a-look-at-these-beauties-how-to-make-your-own-high-end-cables

if you search for my userid in that thread, you'll see examples of cables with speakons (as well as power cables with powercons)...

- chris

post #192 of 1848 Old 09-10-2012, 08:28 PM

Thanks for the links.

BTW, I found your posts on page 66 but the images are missing. Apple shut down me.com recently which is where your images were linked to.
post #193 of 1848 Old 09-11-2012, 04:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

shoot, i forgot about that... i'll zap up a few later... smile.gif

- chris

post #194 of 1848 Old 09-11-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I have used the PQLS function of my SC 35 with the BDP 430 and no real difference in SQ compare to analog or PQLS off. The SQ is great either way. Someone mention the PQLS in one post but, no other mention of it. Any experience with this in the SC 68? Or, does the Elite avr's already have a low jitter floor over HDMI?

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #195 of 1848 Old 09-13-2012, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

OK so I'm replacing an old Integra DHC 9.9 with a couple blown hdmi ports in a dedicated movie room. In very early stage of looking for replacement, Interested in the SC-68 and a couple basic questions:

1) Never used an iPad type app for remote control, not sure how it works..do you need a line of sight with the sc-68 or does it go through the home network connection.

2) has anyone used an internet wire-to-wifi box like netgear's universal wifi internet adapter with good success, or does the sc-68 really need to be hardwired to your home net?

3) have an older Cinenova Grande 7x300w amp, if I wanna use it does the 68 have pre-outs

thanks in advance
post #196 of 1848 Old 09-13-2012, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lem View Post

OK so I'm replacing an old Integra DHC 9.9 with a couple blown hdmi ports in a dedicated movie room. In very early stage of looking for replacement, Interested in the SC-68 and a couple basic questions:
1) Never used an iPad type app for remote control, not sure how it works..do you need a line of sight with the sc-68 or does it go through the home network connection.
2) has anyone used an internet wire-to-wifi box like netgear's universal wifi internet adapter with good success, or does the sc-68 really need to be hardwired to your home net?
3) have an older Cinenova Grande 7x300w amp, if I wanna use it does the 68 have pre-outs
thanks in advance

answered in order -

1. does not have to be line of sigh - pad, pod, phone are wireless to router and receiver is connected to network, wired and wireless with an adapter (they have one - see #2)

2. I haven't tried wireless connectivity to a receiver so can't help personally on this one. All my devices are connected to a switch wired back to the router. I don't use wireless for anything, even PC's, other than portable devices. But, Pioneer does have this as an accessory - AS-WL300, which is a wifi network adapter:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Accessories/AS-WL300

I don't know if it would work with a universal adapter. You might try searching or asking in the SC-57 thread, more owners who have tried many networking setups - or ask member purdyd since he's into streaming and connectivity. Pioneer's uses USB to connect to the receiver. And this accessory has been in use since last year. It doesn't look special other than a button to activate WPS. So, my guess, only a guess smile.gif, that others may also work.

3. yes it has the full boat of preamp outs for all 11.2 channels

you can download the manual & marketing sheet that shows the rear panel from Pioneer smile.gif

also, they have a bluetooth adapter

Steve
post #197 of 1848 Old 09-14-2012, 12:37 PM

Anyone have an issue where the receiver jumps from one sirius station to the next randomly? I tune in to one station and after a few minutes the receiver skips to the next subsequent station. Very odd.
post #198 of 1848 Old 09-14-2012, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lem View Post

thanks in advance

To answer #2, yes. I have a D-Link WiFi router (802.11n) set up in bridge mode that works great for streaming a LG Blu-ray player. Getting WiFi from an Apple Airport extreme, connected to Comcast router with close to 60 Mbps screaming out of it. Use it mostly for VuDu movies in 1080p, which has Dolby Digital sound, unlike Netflix. Haven't connected it to the SC-67 yet, but VuDu in 1080p is a pretty good test.
post #199 of 1848 Old 09-16-2012, 10:35 AM

sc 67---- pass thru default setting?

Hello again, now that all my sources go through the new receiver, it is confusing the heck out of anyone that wants to watch tv with the receiver off.

Somehow I figured out how to set the HDMI control settings to at least allow the pass thru; and I had to use default to "last used" device.

Is there anyway to default to a specific device, in my case cabl/satellite? (so if I watch a movie and forget to press cabl sat, input when turning off the receiver, no one else can use the tv?!) thanks!
post #200 of 1848 Old 09-17-2012, 04:28 PM

I don't know the answer to your specific question. But instead, would recommend a programmable remote. The Logitech Harmony One works great for me. With the macros, you can get the settings to change based on the activity, like Watch TV.
post #201 of 1848 Old 09-20-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Any ideas on how you setup IP control? My URC remote database only has IP codes up to the SC-37 & I have no idea if they are same as what the 57 & 68 series will use confused.gif

I'm setting the remote up for IR control but also looking at RS-232 & IP control as options.

Any help is appreciated smile.gif

Steve
post #202 of 1848 Old 09-22-2012, 11:33 AM

Liked: 13
Totally off topic, but I just noticed Pioneer's top car audio receivers have built-in digital crossovers... I wonder how Pioneer handles the bass in their automated EQ in the car.
post #203 of 1848 Old 09-22-2012, 12:13 PM

Liked: 14
Is the SC-68 using Wolfson DAC's? How many? Has anyone tried the Asynch USB port? How does it sound?
post #204 of 1848 Old 09-22-2012, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus00 View Post

Is the SC-68 using Wolfson DAC's? How many? Has anyone tried the Asynch USB port? How does it sound?
No

Asahi-Kasei, same company as in the SC-57. I don't think Pioneer has used Wolfson in receivers for several generations.
As far as number, I have the service manual for the 57 but no service manual is available yet for the 68. The 57 had 5 DAC's, one per channel pair. I don't know if the USB-DAC port has its own dedicated DAC or has the async circuitry added to existing front pair DAC - will have to wait for serv. manual to become available to confirm with block diagram.

The specific AK DAC is the AK4480.

Yes, I tried USB-DAC if you check earlier posts in this thread. It sounds excellent smile.gif Not sure what you're looking for, but I posted which types of files I tried. I'm not big into computer audio yet so have limited file types to check it with.

Steve
post #205 of 1848 Old 09-22-2012, 05:09 PM

Hello, does anyone know the maximum output of the volume setting before it would distort? I was turning things up on Transformers, blu ray hdmi linked, and heart some voice distortion.

This got me wondering, what the useable range on the volume setting is. eg. -db to pos db. Ive never used a receiver that started in the very negative range. Of course I can use my ears, but honestly I wasnt blowing my house down by any means with the volume I had been "testing" at.

I would like to know for example is -20 db 20% of max volume, or is say +5db 60% max etc. I know with say my guitar amps, 90% of the volume will be achieved at 5/10 (1-10 scale) no it doesnt go to "11" smile.gif
post #206 of 1848 Old 09-22-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by symphx View Post

Hello, does anyone know the maximum output of the volume setting before it would distort? I was turning things up on Transformers, blu ray hdmi linked, and heart some voice distortion.
This got me wondering, what the useable range on the volume setting is. eg. -db to pos db. Ive never used a receiver that started in the very negative range. Of course I can use my ears, but honestly I wasnt blowing my house down by any means with the volume I had been "testing" at.
I would like to know for example is -20 db 20% of max volume, or is say +5db 60% max etc. I know with say my guitar amps, 90% of the volume will be achieved at 5/10 (1-10 scale) no it doesnt go to "11" smile.gif
How big is your room ?
How loud in decibels were you playing ?
How many speakers ?
What brand of speaker ?
Are they set to small or large ?
post #207 of 1848 Old 09-22-2012, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by symphx View Post

Hello, does anyone know the maximum output of the volume setting before it would distort?

there's no way to give you an answer because it all depends on

1. the efficiency of your speakers - the higher the efficiency rating in dB means less power needed to achieve the same volume as one with lower rating

2. the particular soundtrack, some are more dynamic & "hot" than others

3. how you've setup your bass management - are front & center speakers set to small or large, meaning how much of the low freq effects channel do your speakers have to reproduce

4. the crossover you use to send bass to a subwoofer. the lower the crossover, the more work your speakers have to do.

5. and not the least, what type of speakers you use - are they towers, or sats which have limited freq range & not much power capacity.

If its distorting, you can turn it down, look at your bass management settings.

I once blew a fuse on my center, playing one of the MI movies pretty loud (-2 or 3 dB on the dial) but all my speakers have low efficiency to begin with.

It's all relative and very recording dependent. Every situation, gear, and setup is different.

oztech beat me to the submit button. and both of us are saying basically the same thing smile.gif

Steve
post #208 of 1848 Old 09-22-2012, 09:31 PM

thanks guys; set it all up with the automatic MAC mic etc. large towers in front (mirage) and energy center, energy sides, small MB quarts far back, sub woofer. I think auto crossover was 100 and it set the fronts to large.

My other question is what is normal vs loud on the volume dial should be objective. eg. what db number on the dial is using say 80% of available wattage. Is it +5db , + 15 ? (Im not sure how high it goes) it was easier when it was a physical knob that started at zero and physically stopped counter clockwise, I really have NO idea how loud this receiver is capable of going, but some general readings on the dial may give me a clue.

eg. If you guys have a 5.1 or 7.1 system decent speakers, whats the HIGHEST db you will go, what is your average? Just some ball parks, thanks.
post #209 of 1848 Old 09-22-2012, 09:32 PM

thanks guys; set it all up with the automatic MAC mic etc. large towers in front (mirage) and energy center, energy sides, small MB quarts far back, sub woofer. I think auto crossover was 100 and it set the fronts to large.

My other question is what is normal vs loud on the volume dial should be objective. eg. what db number on the dial is using say 80% of available wattage. Is it +5db , + 15 ? (Im not sure how high it goes) it was easier when it was a physical knob that started at zero and physically stopped counter clockwise, I really have NO idea how loud this receiver is capable of going, but some general readings on the dial may give me a clue.

eg. If you guys have a 5.1 or 7.1 system decent speakers, whats the HIGHEST db you will go, what is your average? Just some ball parks, thanks.
post #210 of 1848 Old 09-22-2012, 10:32 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

No
Asahi-Kasei, same company as in the SC-57. I don't think Pioneer has used Wolfson in receivers for several generations.
As far as number, I have the service manual for the 57 but no service manual is available yet for the 68. The 57 had 5 DAC's, one per channel pair. I don't know if the USB-DAC port has its own dedicated DAC or has the async circuitry added to existing front pair DAC - will have to wait for serv. manual to become available to confirm with block diagram.
The specific AK DAC is the AK4480.
Yes, I tried USB-DAC if you check earlier posts in this thread. It sounds excellent smile.gif Not sure what you're looking for, but I posted which types of files I tried. I'm not big into computer audio yet so have limited file types to check it with.

Thank u, I am seriously thinking about getting this before end of year unless something else is on the horizon in near term. I'm curious about the sc-68 DACs and how they might compare to the ESS Sabre32 9018's that oppo uses. The new Oppo also is going to have an asynch usb port with dedicated(?) dac. If the Pioneer 68 DAC's and sound were equal to the Oppo 95 or the new 105 coming out I would just pick up the SC-68 and not upgrade to the Oppo 105 from my 95. I definitley want one unit to have the asynch usb and want the one that sounds the best. So I'm looking at the sc-68 and the oppo 105 or just the sc-68 which would be my preference. Thanks for listening wink.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Elite Sc 67 9 2 Channel Thx Select 2 Plus A V Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc 68 9 2 Channel Thx Ultra 2 Plus A V Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page