scared to buy a new onkyo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 07-30-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
lightning strike took out my Onkyo TX-SR507 which has been working well for the past 3 or so years. need to replace it and immediately thought to buy a new onkyo since the features look great. then i started looking on here and am seeing the nightmares people are having.

open to suggestions and help. budget system, 99% home theatre use, some music but don't need audiophile quality. right now just a basic 5.1 system with polk r30 front, r15 rear, cs125 center and a dayton sub-120. once insurance covers the claim hoping to at least hit polk's refurb store on ebay and upgrade fronts to monitor 50's and a cs1 center. trying to keep under $400 for the avr and thinking a denon might be the way to go. can't seem to find any 1712's still for sale anywhere that is an authorized seller. which means 1613 or 1713. one right at budget the other over. or open to other brands with compelling arguments...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 07-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Jumby,

It's understandable to be skidish on buying another Onkyo based on the complaints posted. I bought a refurbished sr-805 3+ years ago from the Onkyo store and haven't had a problem. Our nature is to complain if stuff isn't right and shut up and enjoy when everthing is working.

Anyway, food for thought. Here's the link to the Onkyo Store. https://www.shoponkyo.com/products_refurb.cfm?specials=1&group_id=1

Steve
post #3 of 32 Old 07-30-2012, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have had good experiences with Onkyo products with the exception of the NR616 that my parents just bought. No issues so far since I updated the firmware over the weekend, but time will tell. I'm hoping that it was buggy firmware that has been since fixed.

My issue was with the video out quit working until I did a factory reset. I quickly did the firmware update, and no issues since. I see many are stating that HDMI is failing, but I had no luck with composite as well, so mine was not an HDMI issue, rather a video out issue.
post #4 of 32 Old 07-30-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

the 503 i replaced with the 507 came from the onkyo refurb and it worked for years right up until this lightning strike. Hoping to future proof a little, 3D ready if i ever want to go there, networked would be nice as well.
post #5 of 32 Old 07-30-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 107
The key point for Onkyo AVRs is adequate ventilation..
Even though this point is mentioned in the Quick Start Gude and Operation Manual it is frequently ignored..
At least 4-5" of free-air clearance should be provided for the L/R sides and top, very important for reliability as the Onkyo amplifiers are biased high...

Just my $0.02.. wink.gif
post #6 of 32 Old 07-30-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I would argue that almost any AVR needs decent ventilation.
post #7 of 32 Old 07-30-2012, 03:41 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumby181 View Post

the 503 i replaced with the 507 came from the onkyo refurb and it worked for years right up until this lightning strike. Hoping to future proof a little, 3D ready if i ever want to go there, networked would be nice as well.

Around here, it seems many are having more trouble with lightening than they are their AVR's. tongue.gif
post #8 of 32 Old 07-30-2012, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

here and other forums i keep hearing the new nrx15's are having reliability issues. so after the post from DIY Guy i went and looked at denon's site for refurbs. odd, but the 1712 has more inputs then the new xx13 models, a better MultEQ XT then any of the 19xx models, but no network connection.

a 1712 refurb is $299 with a one year warranty

a 1912 refurb with the lesser MultEQ, but network is $379 with a one year warranty

a new 1713 with fewer inputs then the xx12, network and MultEQ XT is $449

always a bloody trade off isn\t it?
post #9 of 32 Old 07-30-2012, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Around here, it seems many are having more trouble with lightening than they are their AVR's. tongue.gif

i'm in east central/se virginia and we have been getting rocked with thunderstorms for weeks now. this strike hit a tree next to my house and i literally have shrapnel from the tree that went through my siding and is stuck in the sheathing under the siding. took out a well pump, popped every breaker in the panel when it hit. only electronics that survived were speakers although the sub took a hit, the wii and one directv box. ps3, two receivers, tv, ps3, apple tv, external hd on the directv box, all fried.
post #10 of 32 Old 07-30-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:

took out a well pump, popped every breaker in the panel when it hit. only electronics that survived were speakers although the sub took a hit, the wii and one directv box. ps3, two receivers, tv, ps3, apple tv, external hd on the directv box, all fried.

Terrible to read about your loss. It will take a lot of time, effort and money to get everything back up and running.
post #11 of 32 Old 07-30-2012, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

just waiting for the claim to finalize so i can start replacing things. could have been a lot worse. siding has to be dealt with, tree will come down in the fall, the other stuff is dealt with now. catch-22 is i am looking forward to buying new toys but almost dreading the amount of time it will take to install, setup, reprogram things...
post #12 of 32 Old 07-30-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:

just waiting for the claim to finalize so i can start replacing things. could have been a lot worse. siding has to be dealt with, tree will come down in the fall, the other stuff is dealt with now. catch-22 is i am looking forward to buying new toys but almost dreading the amount of time it will take to install, setup, reprogram things...

Much like a new relationship, without the benefits. tongue.gif
post #13 of 32 Old 07-30-2012, 08:28 PM

In response to your thread, I was at first reluctant to buy an Onkyo after hearing some scary stories of the 709 model and even the 616 model. However I did take the plunge of buying the Onkyo 717 from Newegg for 628.00 which replaces my Marantz SR880..a 1995 model but still works like a champ. I have been playing with it for the past two days and so far no issues. I just received my Emotiva X-REF 10 sub today and what a world of difference. Tomorrow I will be setting up my a/v assignments and then run Audessy on it.
post #14 of 32 Old 07-30-2012, 09:01 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

here and other forums i keep hearing the new nrx15's are having reliability issues. so after the post from DIY Guy i went and looked at denon's site for refurbs. odd, but the 1712 has more inputs then the new xx13 models, a better MultEQ XT then any of the 19xx models, but no network connection.
a 1712 refurb is $299 with a one year warranty
a 1912 refurb with the lesser MultEQ, but network is $379 with a one year warranty
a new 1713 with fewer inputs then the xx12, network and MultEQ XT is $449
always a bloody trade off isn\t it?

I have been in a similar shopping mode as you as far as the units you're looking at. I bought the TX-NR515 as a bit of an impulse buy from Fry's as a kind of trial. I have had zero of the reported issues because I updated all to the latest firmware which includes fixes for the major issues. That said, I didn't understand anything about Audyssey when I bought it and wish I had done more research. Unless you go up to the 818 you only get the 2EQ which really kind of sucks I have to say, the lack of any correction/EQ on the sub seems like a waste. I decided to go with the Denon AVR2113CI which has all the same features/inputs for the most part AND the MultEQ XT. If you can afford a few more bucks, I called Electronics Expo today and they sold a new one to me for $499 + $31 shipping. The 515 is going back to Fry's and I doubt I'll miss it.
post #15 of 32 Old 07-31-2012, 05:29 AM

I now am on my third Onkyo, having bought a refurb 709 last week. Still own a 706 and 700. No problems with any of them. The only Onkyo device I've ever had an issue with is the CD changer that came with my wife's office shelf system. It worked fine for a few years and then started malfunctioning like many disc changers do.
post #16 of 32 Old 07-31-2012, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hello,
While lightning is going to affect any AVR, if you have misgivings about Onkyo, there are way too many choices out there to cause any undue stress. In truth, I have continuously used Onkyo's for over 5 years spanning four different models (TX-SR805,SR875, NR3007. and NR3008. The 805 and 875 were both sold to close friends locally and are still been trouble free. I did have issues with a B-Stock 3007 which Onkyo USA eventually swapped out for an A-Stock 3008. The 3008 has been likewise troublefree.

I suppose I should disclose that I have used all of these AVR's as SSP's. That is I have always used Power Amplifiers to drive all channels. All the same, Denon makes an excellent AVR and would be a great way to go. As would Yamaha, Pioneer, and Marantz.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #17 of 32 Old 07-31-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I don't blame you for wanting to avoid Onkyo. Any modern day AVR that needs 4-5" of ventilation on all sides should be avoided. Is Onkyo aware of what most people put their receivers in?
post #18 of 32 Old 07-31-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

I don't blame you for wanting to avoid Onkyo. Any modern day AVR that needs 4-5" of ventilation on all sides should be avoided. Is Onkyo aware of what most people put their receivers in?

I would think most AVRs (really most electronics in general) need at least a couple inches of ventilation. Singling out Onkyo for this is rather silly in my opinion.
post #19 of 32 Old 07-31-2012, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader3 View Post

I would think most AVRs (really most electronics in general) need at least a couple inches of ventilation. Singling out Onkyo for this is rather silly in my opinion.

Have to agree here. Of course, I've got a TX-SR707 that I keep in an enclosed cabinet with about two inches of clearance on top and plenty of space on the sides. Left to its own devices, the Onkyo would get quite hot to the touch. However, I found that the proper utilization of a drill to allow some convection cooling combined with a 120mm fan seemed to resolve the issue, and now my receiver is considerably cooler.
post #20 of 32 Old 07-31-2012, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Yes, but i was just reading a test done between a denon and and onkyo and the temperature rise on the onkyo was almost double that of the denon http://www.avsforum.com/t/1050097/official-denon-avr-1909-789-thread/1110#post_14532462 . Everything being equal, I go with good reviews and less problems mentioned. I have two denons that have been great. I also have an onkyo HTIB that works fine as well (a far cry from my other systems) but still no problems.

The new 2312 is hooked up with what i consider an incredible system and is used for everything from movies to loud rock and roll. I have 3" on the sides and 2" to the shelf above it, in an enclosed cabinet (glass front) in the wall but i put an exhaust fan in there to be safe. While it gets hot in there, I can't imagine what it would be like with the onkyo.

My Gear
post #21 of 32 Old 07-31-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 145
They shouldn't "need" anymore than what the feet provide on the bottom and a good inch on the top...assuming of course you haven't locked them into a closet or cabinet with non-existent airflow like some knuckle dragging neanderthal.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #22 of 32 Old 07-31-2012, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

That is an unreasonable expectation. All AVRs with similar power ratings will require about that amount of ventilation.

No amount of heat is beneficial, but "it runs hot" is not exactly an objective comparison to use when comparing receivers. Most consumer grade electronic components are rated to run forever at temperatures much higher for you or I to touch.
post #23 of 32 Old 07-31-2012, 08:04 AM

Liked: 15
^ ^ ^
+1
post #24 of 32 Old 07-31-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There a big difference between a couple of inches and 4-5". Go look at TV stands sold at Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart. Most do not have a compartment that can accomodate a receiver with 4-5" of clearance on the sides and top. You have to put the AVR on top. Where the TV typically goes.
Quote:
All AVRs with similar power ratings will require about that amount of ventilation
Not true. The more inefficient an amp is, the hotter it will get for a given energy usage rate. Plus, some amps have better heat sinks than others.
post #25 of 32 Old 07-31-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 346
As an owner of Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, HK and Onkyo AVRs in the past, my Onkyo 573 ran the hottest of them all by far. All of mine sat on top of a stand with plenty of ventilation.

For whatever reason the Onkyo just ran hotter.

Afro GT
post #26 of 32 Old 07-31-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

been playing with a lot of electronics in all sorts of areas for years. so ventilating isn't an issue, i make sure to give adequate space and don't stack things on top of one another. have added fans in the past to assure adequate airflow to cabinets.

i think i am leaning to the 1712. lots of inputs, MultEQ XT. no network but for $300 it is a steal. the 1912 at $379 has inputs, network but only has MultEQ.

I'm thinking the better Audyssey support combined with lower price trumps the network capabilities of the 1912. but that is on the assumption that the MultEQ XT is that much better then just MultEQ. Any input on that? Would love to hit the 2112ci but that is probably going to be out of my wheelhouse...
post #27 of 32 Old 07-31-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:

Marantz wants twelve inches of ventilation space.

eek.gif

The shelf in the enclosed entertainment center only gives a few inches. So I added six inch and a half convection current holes (three on the bottom for cables and three at the top for air flow) to aid with air circulation.
post #28 of 32 Old 07-31-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

The shelf in the enclosed entertainment center only gives a few inches. So I added six inch and a half convection current holes (three on the bottom for cables and three at the top for air flow) to aid with air circulation.

I recently bought a stand with vents in the shelves and bottom. The air flows up through the bottom and out the rear back. I can see cobwebs moving in the back when I watch TV. I should probably dust back there every few months.
post #29 of 32 Old 08-13-2012, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

pulled the trigger on an avr-1912 today. in the end the network factor outweighed the MultEQ XT of the 1712. not to mention a refurb from a4l at $299 was hard to pass up...
post #30 of 32 Old 08-22-2012, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

a week with the 1912 and couldn't be happier...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page