Complete newbie need help picking amp/receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-03-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm sure you guys get this a million times, so I'm sorry if it's a hassle. I've tried doing research into how to pick an amp, but I just can't seem to figure it out. I read that you were supposed to find an amp that supported double the wattage of your speakers, but I don't seem to be able to!

I ordered these speakers: Amazon.com: Sony SSF-5000 Floor Standing 3-way Speaker (Pair)

Am I right in thinking I need a 300 watt amp, since the speakers seem to take 150 watts? I found the Onkyo M-282 2-Channel Power Amplifier, but it's $100 more than the speaker itself, and still doesn't seem to be enough power!

Am I doing something egregiously wrong here? I really just want a basic setup for my cable box/computer. I didn't think an amp would cost more than the speakers itself.

Any help you could give or links to amps (or do I need a receiver?) would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-03-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 389
you don't need a 300 watt amp, a 50-75 watt amp/receiver will be plenty. Just because a speaker can handle a high amount of wattage, it doesn't mean you need to buy one that powerful.

One of my receivers is 50 watts/channel and I used it with better speakers than your Sony for 8 years.

Are you planning to use your speakers just for two channel listening? CD's, MP3's etc or do you eventually plan them to be part of a home theater system?

It may make the difference between choosing a home theater receiver vs a stereo receiver.

Afro GT
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page